Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree4Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Indians dating/marrying non-indians: Indians dating/marrying non-indians:

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #141
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2011 View Post
I see one white Indian wannabe in that video....have never seen that at any of the pow wows I've gone to, but yeah, I agree, that idiot needs to get a life...he's an embarrassment to himself and to natives. They should of kicked his a*s out.
Jack, that video is from a "pow wow" in Europe... seriously you need to do some research on your own... check out the Indian tribes in Poland, Germany, France... one thing to consider, if you are asking me to go off and "read up" on Tribal history - I read anything that has been written down as tribal history with a healthy dose of skepticism so should you. One can not book learn about a people, one must live it. I also asked you for your source of your info on the Pawnee.

Now if you don't like conversing in English, what language would you like? I speak Haida, Tutchone, Tlingit and a smattering of Cree, Mi'kmaq and a few lines of Eyak. I can also converse in Russian, German, French, Arabic and Pashto. Pick one and we'll get on with it.

yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #142
Junior Dancer

jack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,367.78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Mr. jack, with all due respect...I copied that video from this thread. If you notice, all the words are in german.

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/sho...ht=yellow+bird
I was referring to the obvious white guy in the foreground, couldn't tell about the others (too far away, small video screen, fuzzy picture)....but I guess what you're trying to say is that none of them are Indians...that they are all white Germans?

Obviously, there are a lot more sick puppies out there than I realized.

Tribute and homage is one thing, but....I'll say it....that smacks of cultural theft/rape. Germans?
jack2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #143
Junior Dancer

jack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond reputejack2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaahl View Post
Jack, that video is from a "pow wow" in Europe... seriously you need to do some research on your own... check out the Indian tribes in Poland, Germany, France... one thing to consider, if you are asking me to go off and "read up" on Tribal history - I read anything that has been written down as tribal history with a healthy dose of skepticism so should you. One can not book learn about a people, one must live it. I also asked you for your source of your info on the Pawnee.

Now if you don't like conversing in English, what language would you like? I speak Haida, Tutchone, Tlingit and a smattering of Cree, Mi'kmaq and a few lines of Eyak. I can also converse in Russian, German, French, Arabic and Pashto. Pick one and we'll get on with it.

"Now if you don't like conversing in English, what language would you like? I speak Haida, Tutchone, Tlingit and a smattering of Cree, Mi'kmaq and a few lines of Eyak. I can also converse in Russian, German, French, Arabic and Pashto. Pick one and we'll get on with it."

I never said I didn't like to converse in English. I guess that's your smug way of telling me how many languages you speak.
What I said was :

Culture always has been up for grabs. The very fact that we are communicating on this board using the English language and the Roman alphabet (which was derived from the Greek, which was derived from the Phoenician, which....) is proof of that. (and Arabic numerals, I might add).

Culture doesn't exist in a vacuum.

I can't speak any of those languages, but I can speak Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Tagolog, Visayan.

"I also asked you for your source of your info on the Pawnee."

The Lost Universe: Pawnee Life and Culture. Contributors: Gene Weltfish. University of Nebraska Press. Place of Publication: Lincoln, NE.

The Missouri Gazette articles, St. Louis

Government files (too lazy to look them up)

"seriously you need to do some research on your own... check out the Indian tribes in Poland, Germany, France..."

My pow wow experiences are based on what I have seen first hand....not on videos on the web. I have zero interest in "Indian tribes" in Poland, Germany, France ( I admit, I had no idea they held white pow wows in Europe).

I am not an Indian "hobbyist". My interest, if you can call it that, is going to pow wows. I like the dances, the colorful regalia.... not to the exclusion of everything else...I also enjoy seeing Japanese bon odori festivals/dancing, Scottish Highland dancing, Spanish flamenco - you name it. I enjoy them all equally.

" One can not book learn about a people, one must live it. "

The only way to learn about the Sumerians, Parthians and other "peoples"...is through books....can't 'live" what no longer exists.

Some spend years with a "people" in order to accurately write about them

in any case...

I have no interest in "living" something I am not. Not even if my wife happens to be a full blood Ojibwe (I don't think of her in those terms), and, in truth (other than blood) she is about as much "Indian" as I am. Not that she is ashamed of who she is, she was not raised that way, nor were her parents for that matter.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:19 AM   #144
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Hmmm, Dr Regina Weltfish, wrote the bulk of her work in the 30s. Just about the same time most anthros and historians were convinced that native folks would be extinct by the 1960s. Weltfish also wrote government propaganda. She may have lived with the Pawnee but as with most authors from that time period, if they couldn't fill in the blanks, they just made crap up. I doubt Weltfish was immune to that - her contemporaries were not above writing "evidence" to match intended government policies of assimilation and genocide. They wanted us gone and if they could convince others that we were bloodthirsty savages, it would occur faster. Try reading: We're Not the Savages by Daniel Paul, Killing the White Man's Indian by Fergus M. Bordewich for a counter point.

You asked who these hordes of white folks were, JD showed you, I added a short two part video... if you aren't interested, then why belabour the point?

You mention that you like watching pow-wows etc yet here you are arguing with the very people you like to watch. Do you vigorously argue with the Scots, Chinese and others you mentioned or do you feel you should with us because you think you can?

Ok, I'm tired of g̱aal sgaalang... we need more Burnstick!

You noted the language, I was just attempting to see if you wanted to converse in something else. I am not bound by just English. But if you want to see it as smug, then so be it.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:38 AM   #145
Junior Dancer

You asked who these hordes of white folks were, JD showed you, I added a short two part video... if you aren't interested, then why belabour the point?

I said I have no interest in Indian tribes in Poland, etc. , I also said that I had no idea such pow wows existed in Europe...I said both AFTER JD posted his video . If I didn't know such pow wows existed, how could I possibly have an interest, or lack thereof (in something I didn't know existed)

do you feel you should with us because you think you can?

This is a public board. You posted crap, I took you up on it. Takes two to argue. Because you're Indian I'm not allowed to argue? Save the crap for somebody else.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:46 AM   #146
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 131,537.72
Savings: 1.00
Now Mr. jack, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but...the First Nations lady is whipping your a$$ in this argument. It's evident in how you've started using words and phrases like 'crap', 'no interest', 'I had no idea', etc..

I think I would go sit in the corner and save face than to keep arguing with counsel.
gilisi likes this.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Last edited by Joe's Dad; 09-13-2011 at 01:49 AM..
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011, 02:00 AM   #147
Junior Dancer

Ohh, I'm not worried about saving face...this is the internet after all....truth be told, I do enjoy watching pow wows...why I'm in here arguing is beyond even me. My wife is always telling me I have too much time on my hands...she may be right.

With that, I'm outta here....
Old 09-13-2011, 02:03 AM   #148
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 131,537.72
Jack. You're a positive part of powwows.com. We all have different ideas and ideals. Sometimes, I wonder if we all don't have too much time on our hands. LOL

See you soon back around the threads here!

Jim

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #149
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post

i love it too and its funny cus its true!!
I just saw your stork thingie lol congrats :)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:54 AM   #150
outnumbered

Items 49 AccessElephantCakePresent
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
comadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond reputecomadre has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,630.70
OKAY! Back to topic.

INTER RACIAL DATING AND MARRIAGE
comadre is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #151
I pull your leg out!

Items Treasure ChestElephantPresentPresent
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Toolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond reputeToolbox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 93,184.19
Quote:
Originally Posted by comadre View Post
OKAY! Back to topic.

INTER RACIAL DATING AND MARRIAGE
Ummm wait what were we talking abou... hey look a penny...

Help Powwows.com provide better webcasts with wireless cameras by purchasing a decal for your car! We all know you love car decals, don't deny that you don't have them. This is you with a car decal -> http://www.powwows.com/2014/10/23/pow-wow-stickers/
Toolbox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 02:04 AM   #152
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolbox View Post
Ummm wait what were we talking abou... hey look a penny...
You're right it's a pe..... LOOK! SQUIRREL!
Old 09-29-2011, 12:48 PM   #153
pigheaded

Squirrel? Where? I don't see any ... CAR!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #154
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantRainbowDevilDevil
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Eagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond reputeEagle Plumes has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 32,425.79
you all make me waff
Old 10-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #155
I go back to black....

Back2Black is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 558.14
I guess I kind of a have a sob story here, but I'll try to make it less whiny. I did date an NDN guy for almost a year, and it was terrible. It had nothing to do with his background (I'm a black female, I didn't give a flying squirrel's butt then, I still don't, now) but it had everything to do with the people around us.

I was a naive art Freshman in college and he really was one of the first people I met on campus. Now, mind you, I was interested in the culture and customs loooong before I met him (no, I'm not a wannabe, I just happen to be a bit of a historical culture geek), but I believed that when we jumped into our 'fling', we were both prepared for it...as prepared as two college students ever were.

His friends were a different story. They were white, they were mostly female, and, to be brutally honest, they were extremely stuck up and looked down on me, immediately. Particularly, one girl in the group who considered herself as the 'leader'. She wanted to date my ex and really gave me a hard time whenever I tried to befriend her or cushion things between us. She was about 23 or 24 and had the maturity of a menstruating 11 year old. If things didn't go her way, she either cried, or acted as if she were the HBIC (Head B>>>> In Charge).

She would often try to butt into our relationship and invite herself to any 'private' outing we had together. If we ever had any privacy. He was not without flaws, himself. He never asserted himself against her and pretty much let her boss us all around. He never stood up for himself, unless, I had to beg him to do it, and after that, I was still on my own. He grew to be possessive. He didn't want me to have male friends outside of the small group we had, and he always had something to say about the way I dressed or did my hair ("Why did you get THAT style? You know that looks stupid!").

God, I couldn't make a proper dirty joke around him without a getting a speech about how it makes some of the people in the 'group' uncomfortable, only to hear someone else make that same joke and everyone laughs.

The last straw had to have been after spring break. Without warning, he decided to just stop talking to me. He'd purposely avoid me and not speak for me days. Dumb as I was, I simply accepted it and held my tongue and texting fingers, thinking, "Oh, he'll come around. He's just busy."

A week passes. Two weeks pass. A month. Two months. He's still doing the same thing he did before, and yet, we're still listed as girlfriend and boyfriend on Facebook and he hasn't even bothered to say, "Happy Birthday" or "I love you." In fact, he never said, "I love you" or "You're beautiful" or any of the crap. He just wanted sex and food and for me to just shut up and deal while he played Yugi-oh with his friends. But moving on...

I break down. And call him, angry, and I basically told him if he wanted to break up with me, tell it to my face and stop hiding. He couldn't just throw me away like some used tissue. I was a human being with feelings and a heart...and the day after that, he decided that it was best for us to break up. No true explanation, except, that I would get, "angry" and he just could not deal with an "angry" woman. More like a fed up woman pushed the edge.

So, the moral of the story is this: Don't jump into a relationship without fully knowing the person first. Regardless of creed, skin color, religion, they may be the greatest mistake or love of your life.
Back2Black is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #156
Pow Wow Visitor

chet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to beholdchet69 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 334.96
Back 2 black: I may be dating a black girl soon. I have her number and she is very interested in me etc. The only thing is- she lives about two hours away from where I live now (Maryland).
So I'd probably have to get a motel room for the night if I did take her out in order to be as presentable (clean and well groomed) as I'd like to be. She lives in Washington, DC.

She's a big Redskins fan! lol

PS: There's dorky guys of every color so it sounds like you needed to get rid of the guy anyway.
chet69 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links