Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Interesting observation..... Interesting observation.....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 10:01 AM   #1
One more push-up,Please!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 3,730.53
Savings: 0.00
Interesting observation.....

I recieved my powwows.com upcoming powwows e-mail this morning(thanks Paul). As I was going thru the list, i could not help but notice a trend that stood out. States without tribes(Fed. Rec.) have many more PWs than States with one or more. Just a few from the newsletter;

South Dakota= 1 Illinios=3
Kansas=1 Kentuck=3
OK= 9 Ohio=6
New Mex.=3 Indiana=4

Does this strick anyone as odd. Why are there some many event in non-indian country. Is this a product of "the people" as a whole spread thru out the country and finding way to celebrate or is this a sign of things to come. A person or group of any type can put on a event and call it a powwow.
I suppose it is good that people can find their way to the circle from just about anyplace in the US/canada.
I just assumed there would be many more from states containing tribes.
Any thoughts

Lostsalt
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
lostsalt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2006, 12:50 PM   #2
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Savings: 1.00
As one that has lived in Ohio and Indiana..... and has family in Okla and So Dakota....Ohio and Indiana need all the help they can get while Oklahoma and So Dakota use tella-ndn telegraph to spread the word of the dances.....
Old 05-19-2006, 02:12 PM   #3
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mato Winyan
As one that has lived in Ohio and Indiana..... and has family in Okla and So Dakota....Ohio and Indiana need all the help they can get while Oklahoma and So Dakota use tella-ndn telegraph to spread the word of the dances.....
[email protected] telegraph..... good one mato!
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 119,811.65
Quote:
Or maybe...just maybe...

People from Oklahoma and South Dakota don't want people from Ohio and Indiana come messing up their powwows!

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Bold Renegade

Zorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant futureZorro has a brilliant future
Location: Out of the night, when the full moon is bright, comes the horseman known as Zorro!
Señora Mato Winyan, I must compliment the new applique design on the back of your dress that you've been sporting lately! Very flattering.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:02 PM   #6
Powwow Dancer

2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute
Observation

I am not sure but I don't think that states that have fed or state rec tribes are the only place that a powwow can be held. There are NDN the live in various states that want to gather to dance to help Mother Earth heal, visit with friends ,familyand loved ones. I have been to a lot of powwows in Tn and Ky these were not Contest powwows, these were a gathering of various NDN Nations to enjoy being together. I like many NDNs don't have the time, the money or energy to drive out West or to NC to powwow. I could care less if some thinks the powwows in Tn or Ky are good or not. The ones of us that go enjoy ourself. If I hurt any ones feelings I hate but this is my obervation.
2 Trails is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2006, 09:32 AM   #7
One more push-up,Please!

lostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond reputelostsalt has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Trails
I am not sure but I don't think that states that have fed or state rec tribes are the only place that a powwow can be held. There are NDN the live in various states that want to gather to dance to help Mother Earth heal, visit with friends ,familyand loved ones. I have been to a lot of powwows in Tn and Ky these were not Contest powwows, these were a gathering of various NDN Nations to enjoy being together. I like many NDNs don't have the time, the money or energy to drive out West or to NC to powwow. I could care less if some thinks the powwows in Tn or Ky are good or not. The ones of us that go enjoy ourself. If I hurt any ones feelings I hate but this is my obervation.
I never said certain states were the only "place that a powwow can be held". 2trail, im just point out that. States with more tribes would have more events(my opinion). A couple enlighten posters have made a great point about word of mouth out here, 1 poster about someone's attire. But I think there is more to it. Maybe it is just those need more advertisement to spread the word.
LS
"Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is." JW
Old 05-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
interesting observation!
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #9
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
last year in st louis area , 1 pw was thrown by a native, the others were all from wannabe groups looking for recognition and a way to make money. dont know who or why other areas throw their pw's, i do know most of these around here are thrown so that the lost ones can claim native. ps watch out for the cahokia mounds pw coming in i think sept. they call it a chance dance, u dont have to be good dancer just be in the circle when your # is drawn lol, that'll get the best dancers here (sarcasm)

i have to agree with the word of mouth tho, down around kk's family there seems to be pw's every weekend, some are listed in the local paper but most are word of mouth. tho these differ from pw's around st louis, the ones down there dont seem to worry about it being a spectator sport like it is in st louis. it strikes me that the ones in kiowa country are about the dance not about the money.

Last edited by hywalker; 05-21-2006 at 10:41 AM..
hywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
Quote:
Originally Posted by hywalker
last year in st louis area , 1 pw was thrown by a native, the others were all from wannabe groups looking for recognition and a way to make money. dont know who or why other areas throw their pw's, i do know most of these around here are thrown so that the lost ones can claim native. ps watch out for the cahokia mounds pw coming in i think sept. they call it a chance dance, u dont have to be good dancer just be in the circle when your # is drawn lol, that'll get the best dancers here (sarcasm)

i have to agree with the word of mouth tho, down around kk's family there seems to be pw's every weekend, some are listed in the local paper but most are word of mouth. tho these differ from pw's around st louis, the ones down there dont seem to worry about it being a spectator sport like it is in st louis. it strikes me that the ones in kiowa country are about the dance not about the money.
theres dances up here every weekend,little ones for fun ,no money involved...and not really advertised either

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
The state of Ohio (government) doesn't even have a special educational thing for the native people. Out here we have black, hispanic, jewish, and just about every other culture taught in the schools. No native experience is taught here except for the standard book stuff. We have to fight with the schools here to just take our kids out of school for a travel day to go to powwows. It's never a problem with and other cultures, but when it comes to us it's a hastle.

Now if we have problems with the schools, we let them know the way things work. We almost filed a discrimination charge but they finally saw it our way. (It might have been that they taught us how to fight their way) I'm willing to fight in the white way when it comes to my kids. The whites taught us how, so why not show them how we learn.

Were on the trail right now in a hotel room. Thank the Creator for laptops ane wireless connections. No sound work this weekend. This weekend we get to dance!!!!!!!!

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 05-21-2006 at 10:59 AM..
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-21-2006, 06:59 PM   #12
Powwow Dancer

2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute
Observation

Well We just got in from a pw in Cookeville,Tn. It is a small pw,not any compation. Saturday the towns people came around and watched us dance and they bought some stuff from the vendors. After the wannabes and visitors left ,then the Pow-Wow begain. That was about 6pm. We had 2 drums that were playing, lots of inter-tribel dances, good food ,good friends and our family.We dance to help mother Earth heal so that we may heal. You see thats the way we in Tenn and some areas of Ky do it. Did the ones that put it on make any money? Probably not. They may have broke even. A mother of one of our people found out today while at the pw that her son has been activiated to go to Iraq. When she told us about it ,a special dance was held for her in her sons name. A combat vet that was in the first fight there gave the mother a real Eagle feather for her son to carry into battle. He took the feather of of his regalia. I gave one of my Red Tail Hawk feathers to the mother to give to the son from my regalia. We held a prayer for the sons safe reture. Now that was a POW-WOW not a show for others to see. We also have some not competion dances at some of the camp site that are on the Trail Where They Cried.Man you can feel the power. We have one coming up in Portland Tenn that is real good.You all are invited to come. It is posted on Powwows.com calender for June. A lot of people worry about the drive and the price of gas, and this pw was 4 hours from my home and we camped Saturday night. We sat around just visiting until at least 11:30pm. We had a good trade blanket also. Those of us that are dancers camped for free. O'well so much for making money and they also feed us some good food during the weekend. Must of the pw that I go to is at the least 3 hours drive ,most are more than that,but you see it to gather and not to just make money,braking even is good.

Last edited by 2 Trails; 05-21-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 05-21-2006, 07:48 PM   #13
Powwow Dancer

Obersation

Lostsalt;
I guess I am to defensive about things. As I read some of these post they take me aback a little (a lot) LOLOLOLOLOL. At time I am to quick to jump out about some of the things I read because I see them as an assault on some of the people. Sometime there are some hurtful things that some post. It appears that they don't want to hear anything but only what they believe. There are some of us that are working toward unity of all the Red People so that we can progress forward. ( Learn to run in the white mans shoes and get good at it and then while wearing his shoes beat him in his own race.)
Old 05-22-2006, 12:40 PM   #14
One more push-up,Please!

Defensive

Quote:
Lostsalt;
I guess I am to defensive about things. As I read some of these post they take me aback a little (a lot) LOLOLOLOLOL. At time I am to quick to jump out about some of the things I read because I see them as an assault on some of the people. Sometime there are some hurtful things that some post. It appears that they don't want to hear anything but only what they believe. There are some of us that are working toward unity of all the Red People so that we can progress forward. ( Learn to run in the white mans shoes and get good at it and then while wearing his shoes beat him in his own race.)
See that is part of the problem with posting a thread here. Even a post like mine, very simple, not accusatory (sp?) at all, stating obsevations, illicits that response. Let me ask you this , in a freindly way. Why are you " quick to jump out about some of the things I read because I see them as an assault on some of the people"? Why are you defensive about what I asked?
The Psychology of "defensiveness" is well documented.
If what I asked made you definsive, how would it have been if I asked:
Why is it that every powwow east of the mississippi and west of the appla. mtns it put on by a bunch of plastic/wannabe/1/684%/hopetobe/wishtheywere/hobbs, who think they know more than anybody? Why can they do what they want with anyones family/tribal history/design,etc? Why can they insult "the People" and nothing be done?

But that was not what I asked.....was it?
Lostsalt
Old 05-22-2006, 02:13 PM   #15
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
I've reread your post a couple of times now, thinking I'm missing something, but apparently, ... I'm missing something. Are you saying Oklahoma is non ndn country? Ummm, what?
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #16
One more push-up,Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streamhawk
I've reread your post a couple of times now, thinking I'm missing something, but apparently, ... I'm missing something. Are you saying Oklahoma is non ndn country? Ummm, what?
No, 'lahoma is definetly ndn country. I'm talk'n east of the mississippi river and west of the appliachian mtns. The Ohio,Indiana,Illinois, Kentuck, area more specific. There are regions that have tribal presents,reservations,etc. There are regions that do not. My original post ask why are there so many powwows in regions without tribal presents/reservations. Or at least more advertised.
If anything, of all states OkL. probrably has more pwws consistanly than anyone else.

Lostsalt
Old 05-22-2006, 02:41 PM   #17
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Ok check. OK was one of the states you listed in your original post, just trying to keep things straight for my pea brain ya know. I've been to three pow wow's in the last three weeks this month in OK, with one left to go next weekend to make it 4 for 4, yeah, consistent would be an appropriate word.

It interests me more that some of these pow wow's in some of those states are the ones making dancers show their cards to contest, interesting, but not consistent.
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-22-2006, 02:47 PM   #18
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
We had 2 drums that were playing,...

What?

Playing?

With each other?

*L

j/k
Old 05-22-2006, 03:52 PM   #19
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Well there are mixed communities of natives in those areas.. some of those might be powwows that they put on themselves so that they could get together and dance and whatnot. That's why we started ours up here... lots of lower fourty-eight natives who just wanted to get together and dance... and we involved the alaskan natives as well because it's their community first. Now in Tennessee the indian center there puts on a powwow and there is a legitimate population of natives as well as the non legit.
Old 05-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #20
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,558.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Now in Tennessee the indian center there puts on a powwow and there is a legitimate population of natives as well as the non legit.

Bb,

I'm emceeing a powwow in Nashville in October.

Lot's of Natives attend. They are a good powwow committee! In the past they have had good host drums there including Battle River, Yellow Hammer, Young Bird and Haystack!

I used to go to a powwow in Memphis. It was pretty good too. I've gone there singing with the host drum.

What Tennessee powwows are considered - "iffy?"