Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Jemez Pueblo group, Black Eagle, wins GRAMMY Jemez Pueblo group, Black Eagle, wins GRAMMY

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #1
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Savings: 0.00
Jemez Pueblo group, Black Eagle, wins GRAMMY

Indianz.Com. In Print.
URL: http://www.indianz.com/News/archives/003678.asp

Jemez Pueblo group, Black Eagle, wins GRAMMY
Monday, February 9, 2004

Black Eagle *http://www.blackeagle1989.com), a drum group froM Jemez Pueblo in New Mexico, won the GRAMMY for Best Native American Music Album last night.

The award for "Flying Free" was presented in a pre-televised ceremony. The Native music award was only shown on the air once, in 2001.

In related GRAMMY news, Andre 3000 of Outkast performed his hit "Hey Ya" to a "Indian" theme. Pow-wow sounding music started off the song, which was accompanied by scantily clad women dressed in faux Pocahontas costumes. A smoking tee-pee adorned the stage. The Native American Times wrote, "[W]e really could have done without the gross and disconnected mockery of Native Americans by the green suedecloth-wearing, Outkast and his band of Indian imposter go-go girls flailing around on stage..."

Get the Story:
Black Eagle wins coveted GRAMMY as best in Indian Country (The Native American Times 2/9)

Relevant Links:
GRAMMYs - http://www.grammy.com

Related Stories:
Native music on tap for GRAMMY awards (12/05)
Native GRAMMY picks a shift from years prior (01/10)
Native GRAMMY picks announced (1/7)
Youngblood wins Native music award at Grammys (02/24)
Primeaux & Mike win Grammy (02/28)
Grammy ceremony airs tonight (2/27)
GRAMMY nominee a family affair (1/21)
Native music profiled by NYTimes (1/16)
Native GRAMMY moves into second year (1/7)
Gathering of Nations cuts ties to SOAR (3/5)
Gathering wins first Native GRAMMY (2/22)
GRAMMY show full of surprises (2/20)
Spotlight on the GRAMMYs (1/26)
GRAMMY nominees announced (1/4)
GRAMMYs to honor Native music (6/7)

Copyright © 2000-2003 Indianz.Com

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2004, 11:43 AM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
_______

It is too bad that so many Indian people in the music industry spent so much time getting an Indian Music Catagory in the Grammys.

Black Eagle won the Grammy representing . . . ALL Indian music?

Don't get me wrong. Black Eagle is a good drum group.

However they are a Northern Drum Group from Jemez, Pueblo in New Mexico. What's wrong with this picture?

Aren't there any Northern Plains or Canadian drum groups that are more representative of Northern Plains music?

Who does the voting?

_______

Now the Album of the Year is won by Outcast who's act totally wipes out all the efforts of Indian educators that have spent a lifetime of dispelling negative stereotypes.

If it was our goal to become recognized for our musical contributions throught the Grammy's, why do they have to mock our culture on National Television?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #3
The Original OP CREW

AlmostThere is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
well congrats to Black eagle.....:clap: :clap: :clap:
Old 02-09-2004, 11:52 AM   #4
~*California Grown*~

kamikaze_yazzie has a spectacular aura about
Angry

Maybe you should get to know someone before putting them down. The Black Eagle singers are good humble people, that respect their drum and songs. Are you basing ur JUDGEMENTS on just geography? Theres alot more to singing then just where you live.
Myself- I proud of them and the Native American Category in the Main stream music awards. It maybe a little step but its a step in the RIGHT direction.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:07 PM   #5
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by kamikaze_yazzie
Maybe you should get to know someone before putting them down. The Black Eagle singers are good humble people, that respect their drum and songs. Are you basing ur JUDGEMENTS on just geography? Theres alot more to singing then just where you live.
Myself- I proud of them and the Native American Category in the Main stream music awards. It maybe a little step but its a step in the RIGHT direction.
I do know some of them and yes they are good and humble people. I even said they are a good drum.

My point is: are they better than MNXpress, Black Stone, Eyabay, Black Lodge, Northern Cree etc.?

According the Grammy's they are.

What exactly do you know about singing? ie. "Theres alot to singing . . ." Were you raised around the drum?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #6
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
northern crees still rezin was nominated.... i wont give black eagles new album or round dance cd the time of day, im kinda sorry i bought them, i shoulda knew better since they were on the SOAR label... on the other hand still rezin is one of n.crees best

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2004, 01:16 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,042.85
My cousin posed the same question last night Who..how come drums aren't in one catagory, Contemporary Music in another and flute in another?

Yes we are finally evolving to having made a name for the native on the grammy's but we can be broken down just as much as the Latin Category and the Rock category.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #8
~*California Grown*~

Black Eagle would be the first to admit that they are Still learning just like every drum and singer out there. What im saying - is that they accomplished something that only happens once in a lifetime - if at all. I for one am happy for them!
Everything is not perfect the first time out and gets better in time. Northern Cree is one of my personal favorite northern drums. AND that was not ur point.. your questioning the category... and i wouldnt mind the Black Eagle singers representing "ALL Indian Music" as you put it cuz they are GOOD PEOPLE who enjoy singing. what more can anyone ask? not that its any of your business but singing and dancing goes back GENERATIONS in my family so DONT GO THERE!!!!!
Old 02-09-2004, 02:53 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
AND that was not ur point.. your questioning the category... and i wouldnt mind the Black Eagle singers representing "ALL Indian Music" as you put it cuz they are GOOD PEOPLE who enjoy singing. what more can anyone ask? not that its any of your business but singing and dancing goes back GENERATIONS in my family so DONT GO THERE!!!!!

We both agree that the Black Eagle singers are a good drum and are respectful people. Nuff' said about that.

What I am questioning IS the category AND the voting of the GRAMMY's.

If this catagory represents all Indian music, how come you and I are not allowed to vote? Supposedly you come from an Indian family who has been singing and dancing for "generations." So, do I.

If only those associated with the GRAMMY organization are allowed to vote, then what does Outcast, Faith Hill, eminem and Beyonce etc., know about Indian music?

____

I don't mean to disrespect yours or any other family. This is not my intention.

But your comment on singing and dancing for generations must have to do with traditional dancing and singing and NOT powwow dancing and singing.

The tribes of the southwest, including yours, have only "adopted" the powwow tradition from the plain's tribes in the last 45 years!

True or false?
Old 02-09-2004, 03:34 PM   #10
~*California Grown*~

Im not going to argue about that with you.. that is a whole other thread and I personally dont think theres a black and white answer to that.
You not knowing anything about me or my family and passing judgements is uncalled for- you dont know who brought me into the arena, what songs i know or dont. SO dont assume anything -and i dont and will not explain any of that to you.

As for the NA category ... things will evolve in time.. but if you want just natives to vote thats called the NAMMYS. The grammys are main stream.. and for the moment thats how they are run. They are awards given by the recording industry. If you want awards given to drums by people who know all about singing - there are POWWOWS, but im sure everyone can agree that even those arent fair all the time.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #11
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Quote:
Im not going to argue about that with you.. that is a whole other thread and I personally dont think theres a black and white answer to that.
You not knowing anything about me or my family and passing judgements is uncalled for- you dont know who brought me into the arena, what songs i know or dont. SO dont assume anything -and i dont and will not explain any of that to you.

As for the NA category ... things will evolve in time.. but if you want just natives to vote thats called the NAMMYS. The grammys are main stream.. and for the moment thats how they are run. They are awards given by the recording industry. If you want awards given to drums by people who know all about singing - there are POWWOWS, but im sure everyone can agree that even those arent fair all the time.

I could care less who brought you into the arena.

The fact is that I still stand by my statement, "the powwow is less than 45 years old in the southwest and the tribes that adopted powwow traditions in the southwest did so within this time frame." So when you are speaking of "generations" of dancers and singers. . . you have to be speaking about tradtional singers and dancers - not powwow.

_______

As for "things evolving with time. . . .," sometimes this is good, sometimes this is bad.

In the case of this year's GRAMMY's, I think this evolution is not in a good direction. In the beginning, there were artists from several record labels who were nominated.

If you look at how things have evolved, only the SOAR and CANYON Indian recording artists were nominated.

If only SOAR and CANYON representatives are allowed to vote, what does this say about the great Indian musicians of all types who are not signed with these two recording labels?

Do they have an equal chance of being nominated?

"If Outcast was on the SOAR or CANYON label . . . perhaps they could have won BOTH the 'Best in Indian category' AND the 'Best Album of the Year category.'"
Old 02-09-2004, 04:56 PM   #12
~*California Grown*~

For someone who could care less about my powwow and traditional history - u sure bring it up alot. Stand by that fact all you want... it has nothing to do with what im talking about.

Im saying congrats to the winners.. at least they arent a boy-scout group. I think the category is getting better. As for the record labels voting for theyre own singers.. uh i think thats what i would do too. silly me. Its up to the record labels to work to get the singers to the grammys... I dont know much about SOAR, specifically- but i know they got Black Eagle there. So I dunno about your point.. seems to be changing every entry.
Old 02-09-2004, 10:59 PM   #13
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007 at 05:19 AM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2004, 11:27 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

dancnbrd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 380.00
I have never heard Black Eagle's music. I am proud of anyone who is nominated for this award REGARDLESS of what tribe they are from. If it teaches our young people to be proud of our music and successful then, AMEN.

What does bother me is that people, for whatever reason, put down those that succeed. Our people as a whole, need to learn to stick together regardless of tribe to show a united front without the I'm better than you syndrome. Maybe that is why our people continue to stuggle so much. Instead of showing a strong united front like other minorites, we are too busy arguing amongst ourselves.:(
dancnbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-10-2004, 10:51 AM   #15
HIGH ROLLER

Heat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond reputeHeat Miser J has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by WhoMe
_______

However they are a Northern Drum Group from Jemez, Pueblo in New Mexico. What's wrong with this picture?

_______

Black Eagle's CD beat Northern Cree's "Still Rezin"?!?! That's hard to believe.
Heat Miser J is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-12-2004, 03:45 AM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

Rain Man Dan is an unknown quantity at this point
Black Eagle is a good drum group. I have seen them numerous times, their songs are complex. Black Lodge and Northern Cree are also a couple of my favorites. To get a Grammy nomination in itself is a great accomplishment. I look forward to seeing them again, I have met a few of the Black Eagle singers and they got some young ones singing, it's good to see a drum group that sticks together and communicates in their Native Language. When you see them around talking to one another, you don't hear any English being spoken - how many other groups can make that claim? I'm proud of them, they're my friends.
Good job Black Eagle!

Dan
Rain Man Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

killakam81 is infamous around these parts
Credits: 1,216.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoMe View Post
We both agree that the Black Eagle singers are a good drum and are respectful people. Nuff' said about that.

What I am questioning IS the category AND the voting of the GRAMMY's.

If this catagory represents all Indian music, how come you and I are not allowed to vote? Supposedly you come from an Indian family who has been singing and dancing for "generations." So, do I.

If only those associated with the GRAMMY organization are allowed to vote, then what does Outcast, Faith Hill, eminem and Beyonce etc., know about Indian music?

____

I don't mean to disrespect yours or any other family. This is not my intention.

But your comment on singing and dancing for generations must have to do with traditional dancing and singing and NOT powwow dancing and singing.

The tribes of the southwest, including yours, have only "adopted" the powwow tradition from the plain's tribes in the last 45 years!

True or false?
Actually, the tribes in the southwest especially the pueblos have adopted various dances and forms of powwow way longer than that. They were taught that way by the Commaches and Kiowas through their times of trading and raiding in Taos and other various pueblos around there. I've even heard some crow style dances taught. Heard Crows taught them that when the Crows received their horses from the pueblos. Thats wat a dude from skool told me, he is Crow. everyone has their opinion of who is the best drum group around, i personally think stoney creek. Juss cause it started in the northern plains doesnt automatically make them the best singers ever.
killakam81 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links