Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Lenape defunct? Lenape defunct?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:00 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
gubmintcheeze is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Lenape defunct?

I posted this under chitchat too, but does anyone know anything about the Lene Lenape being into it w/the Cherokee? I heard this today...something about them losing recognition/status...whoever told me didn't really know what was going on and was asking me if I had heard...have any of ya'll heard anything?

*****I didn't check on the old threads b/c I found an article from this week about it...I guess it was like the finalization (is that a word?) of the whole thing...The question did get answered on the other thread though***********

Last edited by gubmintcheeze; 03-28-2005 at 03:18 AM..
gubmintcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2005, 12:10 AM   #2
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Yes...see the thread in here called: Delaware Tribe loses separate federal status
Which was posted here a while ago...but still canbe found by searching forums, then asking for that thread...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The certainty of Tribal Sovereignty is not FOR CERTAIN.

Termination of tribal recognition status could happen to your tribe.

Many of us who are American Indian never imagine our tribes being terminated or loosing their Federal recognition status.

One-month ago, it happened to a tribe whose rich history with the United States began with the first American Indian-United States Treaty in 1778.

This is what I heard.

Without consulting the Delaware Tribe of Indians (who live in Oklahoma), the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals terminated their tribal federal status and merged them with the Cherokee Nation. Now the former Delawares are now technically... Cherokee.

If it can happen to the Delaware, it can happen to your tribe.

_

Here is a synopsis of what was printed after the decision on Indianz.com:

'Fight the Cherokee Nation until hell freezes over'
Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Responding to a court's revocation of his tribe's federal recognition, the chief of the Delaware Tribe of Oklahoma said he "will fight the chief of the Cherokee Nation until hell freezes over."

Delaware Chief Joe Brooks told The Bartlesville Examiner-Enterprise that the tribe will appeal yesterday's decision from the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals. "We are a free and independent nation and will remain such," he was quoted as saying.

The Cherokee sued the Interior Department when it recognized the Delawares as a separate tribe. The Cherokee Nation opposes federal status for the Delawares, citing an 1866 treaty and a sale of lands to the Delawares.

Brooks said the Cherokees are motivated by "greed."
__

The Delaware Tribe of Indians plans to appeal this decision. If it goes to the Supreme Court and they lose, their soveignty as Delaware Indians will cease to exist.
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-28-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Downstream People

ogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
ogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond reputeogapahndn has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 439.14
I have a friend who is Delaware. He came over this weekend and brought me some emails he had gotten about the Cherokees taking over and the government taking away their federal recognition. It's just crazy! They are closing all of their govt. programs and everything. It's like they don't exist. I'll try to post some of the things he showed me.
ogapahndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-29-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

gubmintcheeze is on a distinguished road
That would be cool cuz I'm from that area and don't have access to any of the news...Tell your friend I'm sorry to hear about what's happening.
gubmintcheeze is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links