Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Literature Literature

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2004, 08:05 PM   #1
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CactusButt is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Literature

Hey! I was just wondering if anyone had heard of Ed McGaa and had read any of his books. If you have read any of his books can you write me a short review ie. "it sucked" or "it rocked". My bro-in-law suggested I read one of his books to help me answer some questions my son has about native religion. If you want you can write extensive reviews too. I just hate it when I read a book that is supposed to be about Native this or that and it turns out to be all hokey and fake. Thanks in advance for all your help. You all rock!!!!:Thumbs
CactusButt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2004, 09:24 PM   #2
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Savings: 1.00
In my experience books written by non-ndns (and with a name like McGaa - likely a non-ndn) about ndn culture turn out to be inaccurate, or they are generalizations (painting us all the same), or they over romanticise and get all hollywood - books are not a great place to learn about ndns - you would be better off to ask ndns in your family or if you non-ndnd you could approach ndn people in your area with respect and genuine interest.
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-03-2004, 11:36 AM   #3
Teen Dancer

CactusButt is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking

Thanks Singing Eagle. Actually, I looked at the book on the internet and it says that Ed McGaa is Lakota. He is some lawyer or something. I would ask my ex in-laws who are Dine, but we live in Oregon and they are in AZ. My ex-brother in-law told me to read the book first, and then he'd talk to me when I was done with it. I just wondered if anyone else had read any of his stuff already. Not that I don't trust ex-brother, but you know how it is with in-laws. They used to alway's tell me to read this, do that, say this.... and then lovingly laugh their asses off at me:mocking: :Blush
I just didn't want to spend time reading this book and then go talk to him just to have him laugh at me, and then give me real stuff to think about.
CactusButt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links