Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Looking for teachers, ceremonies near west KY Looking for teachers, ceremonies near west KY

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2008, 03:17 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Little Caribou is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Looking for teachers, ceremonies near west KY

Hi everyone,
I've been lurking around here for a year now, chicken to post because there seems to be so much contention among some people involving those who are not full native or raised native being put down as "wannabe's". This is my first post.

Well, I'm writing now from a place of humble desperation, asking for your help. I've always known there was Cherokee in my background and from looking at my grandmother, one would think she was full or pretty close. Anyway, my grandmother lived in the time that many natives were quiet and about being native and tried to blend in, so our family never talked about it. For many years I wanted to learn, but had no idea where to look. A year ago a dear friend revealed that she and hubby are native and they introduced me to Ojibwa teachings and ceremonies. We were studying under an elder to our far north for awhile, long enough for me to put it on like a glove and crave more. Something happened and the few of us from this area broke away. We now have no teacher. The closest lodge I know of is a few hours over in middle KY. There are no teachings or elders there, just a gentle water pourer who will pour for us when we ask. My son is 14 and had never been brought up with any spirituality whatever, but from his very first sweat, he grabbed onto the teachings and is a very changed young man in only 8 months time. Because of this and because of all his contact with spirits since beginning this path, I know I must do what I can to help my son continue on this path. We cannot travel far. We desperately need teachings and face contact with The People. Sweats have been most meaningful to us and we have been unable to get to one for over 2 months. I am feeling broken-hearted over the problem and subsequent seperation from the clan up north. I just don't know what to do. I feel so alone. I only feel right when i am participating in ceremonies regularly. I pray and do what little I know to interact wth Spirit, but I feel nothing. My native blood is Cherokee, but I am willing to walk the road with any tribe. We live in far western KY and we don't know of any native people gathering within hours of here. Can't exactly find a sweat on Google, ya know. Please help.
Little Caribou is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Have you tried praying instead of using the internet? Everything that we do is on a personal level and the main rule of thumb to follow is "get out of Kentucky!"

Our way of life is family, our family comes first. It should be "you" who directs your son, not a stranger.

Last edited by they_drag_him; 06-15-2008 at 09:57 AM..
they_drag_him is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
Savings: 1.00
The above statement is so true. But you also have to be very careful of who and what you get involved with. Just 'cause someone says that they can do these things or says that they are an "Elder" doesn't mean that they are. The internet is really not the place to find such things. You need to get out and meet people and find your own way, not someone else's.

But, personally, I would suggest that you do some research and make sure that it was Cherokee that your grandmother was, she could have been from another Tribe. And then go from there. Kentucky was a well known hunting ground for many Natives many many years ago and it wasn't just the Cherokee who hunted there at all.

And there is an old saying, again, that I really like: "Watch what you ask for. You just might get it." Those are really good words, especially if you have no place to turn and you would be an easy target for many who aren't who they claim to be.

"STOP, LOOK and LISTEN"
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
take your son and go for a nice walk in the woods,you'll get more spirituality from that than from anyone you'll find on the internet...remember too anyone who is legit,doesnt advertise in any form or media and does NOT charge.peroid.

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-15-2008, 12:42 PM   #5
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by they_drag_him View Post
Everything that we do is on a personal level and the main rule of thumb to follow is "get out of Kentucky!"

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 01:08 PM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Have you tried praying instead of using the internet? Everything that we do is on a personal level and the main rule of thumb to follow is "get out of Kentucky!"

Our way of life is family, our family comes first. It should be "you" who directs your son, not a stranger.
I have been praying for 4 months to find people we can learn from, who we can spend time with in and out of ceremonies. I have been in contact with the few people I was involved with up north, but they don't know anyone in this direction. I traveled to a pow wow 2 weekends ago thinking that would be a good place to start. I spoke with several people there, but still found nothing within 5 hours of my home.

I am not looking to turn my son over to anyone. I am looking to find someone , preferably a man, who can guide him in what a boy needs to know, about the role of men in ceremony, etc. I cannot teach what I do not know, but I can be responsible enough to help him find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger
The above statement is so true. But you also have to be very careful of who and what you get involved with. Just 'cause someone says that they can do these things or says that they are an "Elder" doesn't mean that they are. The internet is really not the place to find such things. You need to get out and meet people and find your own way, not someone else's.

But, personally, I would suggest that you do some research and make sure that it was Cherokee that your grandmother was, she could have been from another Tribe. And then go from there. Kentucky was a well known hunting ground for many Natives many many years ago and it wasn't just the Cherokee who hunted there at all.

And there is an old saying, again, that I really like: "Watch what you ask for. You just might get it." Those are really good words, especially if you have no place to turn and you would be an easy target for many who aren't who they claim to be.

"STOP, LOOK and LISTEN"
That's a great reminder timmy, about being careful who I get involved with. Fortunately I have 3 good friends, not nearby, who are the real deal, who have warned me a zillion times. I have encountered a few people in my search that I immediately saw were not for me and I RAN.

About my grandmother, both my mother and her sisters say it is Cherokee blood that we come from, although Reelfoot Lake in western TN (Chickasaw ground) is where the family ended up living. I have searched the rolls and came up empty, but then again, my family did not keep great records of family members.

However it is far more important to me and to my son that we learn the spirituality, that we can find a relationship with Spirit, find out what Spirit wants of us, etc. I am completely turned off to organized religion and religions of the bible after growing up in a virtual cult. My son had the same religion crammed down his throat for a few years from my parents and he wants nothing to do with it either. The old ways, the native form of spirituality, is what has washed over us. We know it is right for us to seek it or spirit would not be communicating with us so strongly. There is nothing in this world that I want more.

Thank you for the questions and the guidance. Both are welcome and appreciated. Oh, BTW, certainly the internet isn't something I would rely on for my continued growth. It is, however, a place I might get some direction. If you guys know anyone in my area and can guide me to them, it would be a start........then I would have to see for myself whether they are legit and trustworthy. I am located on the western KY, southern IL border, an hour from the west TN/KY border, 45 minutes from the southeast MO border. Thanks :-)
Old 06-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #7
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Caribou View Post
I have been praying for 4 months to find people we can learn from, who we can spend time with in and out of ceremonies. I have been in contact with the few people I was involved with up north, but they don't know anyone in this direction. I traveled to a pow wow 2 weekends ago thinking that would be a good place to start. I spoke with several people there, but still found nothing within 5 hours of my home.

I am not looking to turn my son over to anyone. I am looking to find someone , preferably a man, who can guide him in what a boy needs to know, about the role of men in ceremony, etc. I cannot teach what I do not know, but I can be responsible enough to help him find it.

That's a great reminder timmy, about being careful who I get involved with. Fortunately I have 3 good friends, not nearby, who are the real deal, who have warned me a zillion times. I have encountered a few people in my search that I immediately saw were not for me and I RAN.

About my grandmother, both my mother and her sisters say it is Cherokee blood that we come from, although Reelfoot Lake in western TN (Chickasaw ground) is where the family ended up living. I have searched the rolls and came up empty, but then again, my family did not keep great records of family members.

However it is far more important to me and to my son that we learn the spirituality, that we can find a relationship with Spirit, find out what Spirit wants of us, etc. I am completely turned off to organized religion and religions of the bible after growing up in a virtual cult. My son had the same religion crammed down his throat for a few years from my parents and he wants nothing to do with it either. The old ways, the native form of spirituality, is what has washed over us. We know it is right for us to seek it or spirit would not be communicating with us so strongly. There is nothing in this world that I want more.

Thank you for the questions and the guidance. Both are welcome and appreciated. Oh, BTW, certainly the internet isn't something I would rely on for my continued growth. It is, however, a place I might get some direction. If you guys know anyone in my area and can guide me to them, it would be a start........then I would have to see for myself whether they are legit and trustworthy. I am located on the western KY, southern IL border, an hour from the west TN/KY border, 45 minutes from the southeast MO border. Thanks :-)
stay away from anything in MO...i know of a dude there named temok who is a total scam FYI
if youre cherokee then thats where you need to go,not with just any teacher...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #8
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:

But the point is is that no one else can get you to the point that you are looking for. That comes from within you as They Drag Him was saying. It's not about who can give you what you want--the only one who can do that is you.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:43 PM   #9
Banned

they_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond reputethey_drag_him has a reputation beyond repute
Little Caribou,
It seems that you are looking for a quick fix. Our lives are not a quick fix, we've gone through being native our whole lives from birth till death. You are pushing too fast.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
I have been praying for 4 months to find people we can learn from, who we can spend time with in and out of ceremonies

Another rule, we do not discuss ceremonies. So, please don't even mention it again.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Another rule, we do not discuss ceremonies. So, please don't even mention it again.

I know better than to discuss details of what happens in ceremony, but there is nothing wrong with saying the word. I have read the rules, ty.

"Posting Guidelines
* Personal Attacks - Please be kind and respectful of other members. Everyone on PowWows.com is entitled to an opinion and is allowed to express it without insults, attacks or threats. Opinion, arguments and statements can be made without insulting or attacking others in the process. * SPAM - Members are not permitted to post messages to advertise services. * Illegal Activity - The posting of links to illegal material or engaging in illegal activities on PowWows.com is not permitted. * Profanity - In an effort to maintain a clean and safe community for everyone, profanity is not permitted. * Racism - Racist comments and racial slurs are not tolerated at PowWows.com. * Attachments - Attachments posted to PowWows.com including the Galleries and Gathering may not contain any form of nudity or pornography. PowWows.com is an open site visited by many people including children. Revealing, provocative, and suggestive material is discouraged. Please try to use good taste when posting attachments. * Cross Posting - Please post information to the correct forum. Posting the same thread in multiple forums is not permitted.
"
Old 06-15-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Quote:
I know better than to discuss details of what happens in ceremony, but there is nothing wrong with saying the word. I have read the rules, ty.

"Posting Guidelines
* Personal Attacks - Please be kind and respectful of other members. Everyone on PowWows.com is entitled to an opinion and is allowed to express it without insults, attacks or threats. Opinion, arguments and statements can be made without insulting or attacking others in the process. * SPAM - Members are not permitted to post messages to advertise services. * Illegal Activity - The posting of links to illegal material or engaging in illegal activities on PowWows.com is not permitted. * Profanity - In an effort to maintain a clean and safe community for everyone, profanity is not permitted. * Racism - Racist comments and racial slurs are not tolerated at PowWows.com. * Attachments - Attachments posted to PowWows.com including the Galleries and Gathering may not contain any form of nudity or pornography. PowWows.com is an open site visited by many people including children. Revealing, provocative, and suggestive material is discouraged. Please try to use good taste when posting attachments. * Cross Posting - Please post information to the correct forum. Posting the same thread in multiple forums is not permitted.
"
He's not talking about the rules of the site--he's talking about the rules within the Native community as a whole. There are many things that we just don't discuss openly where anyone or everyone can see or hear. They are private and should remain so out of respect for traditions and the true ways so that they don't get "*******sized" like so many of them have already.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Beadworker

some advice: when you come on here and start talking about spirits and ceremonies,it makes people wonder if youre for real or some newage culture vulture...dont be defensive when someone says something,you might actually learn something and be taken a little seriously.

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 03:30 PM   #14
Beadworker

ok,i just have to ask....
LC,whats the story behind your name? its unusual for a cherokee from ky to have a name with an arctic animal in it...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf View Post
ok,i just have to ask....
LC,whats the story behind your name? its unusual for a cherokee from ky to have a name with an arctic animal in it...
ROFLMAO--couldn't leave that one alone could you. j/k I was kind of wondering the same thing, just didn't feel like asking.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Beadworker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
ROFLMAO--couldn't leave that one alone could you. j/k I was kind of wondering the same thing, just didn't feel like asking.
well,ya see,ive always seem to have this problem...if somethings going round in my brain and i dont know the answer, i just know its gonna come out sooner or later...so i just ask lol

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 06:41 PM   #17
Junior Dancer

Dakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond reputeDakota Sandz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 280.67
hmmm...man I'm starting to see alot of these threads like this.
My peice of advice is like other said before, watch out for who your getting your teachings from and who guides ya into these ceremonies. Now I'm not a religious fanatic who says "hell fire and brimstone", but.... the ceremonies can get you into trouble sometimes when ya fool around with them or dont know what your doing, and someone CAN get hurt, or the familly around you. You have to be careful with those things.
Second of all..no offence but when you come on here and right away say your cherokee....people tend to scratch there heads at that. No offence to actual cherokees out there, I dont mean to disrespect, but you ndns know what I mean when it comes to that.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #18
Beadworker

now im curious if cherokees actually had sweats....

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 07:46 PM   #19
Beadworker

ok,now im wonderin' why newage-wannabee types always feel the need to put one Indian word (and usually not from the tribe they claim theyre from) in something they write...you know,like "wado,pilyama,or mitakuye oyasin"
and...im wondering why theres only mermaids in the ocean and not in lakes and rivers...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 PM   #20
Head Dancer

Items Cake
LC--based on a statement that you made above--I'm thinking that you are a woman. Is this the case?

Also, where does that Ojib person that you speak of live? Please don't put names out on the net, or at least I can't and wont. But I think that I might know them 'cause what you are speaking of sure does have a familiar ring to it.
Sponsored Links