Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree2Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Losing Indian Blood Losing Indian Blood

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2004, 12:02 PM   #61
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Direct_Effect
If that's the case then it's up to us to see that it doesn't happen.

To me, speaking the language and keeping our language is important. Teaching it to my kids is even more important as well.

Losing our status as a tribe or as native peoples is something we should all consider in the future ahead. I know I sound preachy, but if ignorant statements like "it doesn't matter" is said, then I'm definitely going to try my hardest to see that we do strive to maintain our cultural identity.

I will not blend in with the whites, and I will go down preventing that it doesn't happen.

:Thumbs

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-01-2004, 12:04 PM   #62
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by shondeen_2003
I came upon this thread and it has really caught my attention. I believe what is being said is true and the seriousness of it all. I never thought about the full bloodedess and how it affects our Indian Nation, but I am glad that my children are full bloods. Didn't plan it, just happened in that way.

I fully support all what is being said about the dilemma, that faces our Indian Nation. We need to band together and stay strong.

:D

:Thumbs

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 01:24 PM   #63
Pow Wow Visitor

STRBRWMN is an unknown quantity at this point
losing Indian Blood

Quote:
Originally posted by *Kwe_Zee*
I say, if it matters to ya whether your children are ndn, then you need to keep that in mind next time you're trying to snag a non-ndn.:p

As for myself, I am Ojibwe, I didn't marry within my tribe, but I do have half-ies ( I know that's not a word). My children are half Navajo. They're brown and beautiful, and that's exactly what I wanted.

It's all up to you whether or not you let your indian'ess wash away.
:

:24: You Go!!!!!!!That is what it's all about.Being aware of what we are doing and how it will effect our descendants.Many people just lay where thier hearts take them,not realizing the impact of what they are doing.I do applaude the person who started this thread and the awareness that it has brought about.It is very,very serious.In the next 5 years the biggest race in America will be the Hispanics.In 10 years statistics say the orientals will be the next highest.DO YOU KNOW WHY???Because they do not "breed" outside their race.Instaed of increasing,we are decreasing.It is time to change.
STRBRWMN is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 02:30 PM   #64
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
you don't honestly consider the amount of hispanics entering this country from their own,..has creatred that growth?...o the fact the influx of asians?......you make a good point about our dwindling numbers....on the other hand...there are more people today who claim Native American descent than ever before....but...its what the government is allowing you to say what is considered Native..there are full bloods who are of mixed tribes...who cannot get cdbi's because they don't have enough blood one ONE tribe to be enrolled..that is a realism..
Old 02-04-2004, 05:13 PM   #65
Teen Dancer

Stirbaby is on a distinguished road
Just a polite and humble FYI.
Asians are about as fond of "Oriental" as I am about Redskins and savages.
My eldest son is half Chinise, so I spent several years with the Chinise american Underground culture, in Mississippi of all places.
We can do well to be the leaders for caring about the other guys traditions and history.
" We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.
We will take you and your wives and children and make them slaves...
And we will take your property and will do you all the harm and evil we can..."

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )
Stirbaby is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 06:59 PM   #66
Pow Wow Visitor

redskyndn is an unknown quantity at this point
Keeping Native Blood--sobering statics...

Please note the out-marriage rate for American Indians, Asians and Hispanics to Whites. Also keep in mind the US encourages assimiliation through marriage for pretty much everyone, however the long legacy of racial discrimination against blacks is probably one of the reasons for the lowers rates of out-marriage among blacks. Personally I think it would be preferable for Indians to marry with the two other groups (being Hispanic or Asian ). Why? To maintain the phenotype, and because many, many Hispanics are Metizo anyway. As for the White/Black issue, Indians have been almost brain-washed into the same poisonous racial attitudes as the majority race. Too many times, the issue of black blood becomes a 'controversy' while 'white blood' is encouraged or welcomed. All the while...conforming to the whole idea of assimiliating...
The early colonists wanted Indian women to marry white men, primarily because after a few generations nearly all traces of indian blood was gone. Thomas Jefferson stated that the land would be ruled by the Indian and whiteman as their blood inter-mingled....I am para phrasing with both quotes...

Intermarriage Blurs Racial Lines Marriage across racial and ethnic group lines has grown in the United States at a remarkable pace over recent decades, demographers report, but the U.S. Census Bureau has yet to take this into account in its projections.

For example, the bureau has predicted that in 2050 non-Hispanic whites will make up 52.7 percent of the U.S. population, compared to 75.7 percent in 1990; Hispanics will account for 21.1 percent; blacks 15 percent; and Asians 10.1 percent. But these neat categories don't account for the growing mixed-race or creole population since the Supreme Court struck down the last of the states' antimiscegenation laws in 1967.

Between 1960 and 1990, interracial marriages skyrocketed by more than 800 percent.

Roughly one in 25 married couples today is interracial, and there are more than 3 million children of mixed-race parentage in the U.S. -- not including the millions of Hispanic mestizos and black Americans who have European and Indian ancestors.

Nearly one-third of Hispanics are married to non-Hispanic whites, and among Asian-Americans or Orientals, 36 percent of native-born Asian husbands and 45.2 percent of wives have white spouses.

Interracial marriage is highest among American Indians -- with slight majorities of both men and women more likely to marry whites than other Indians.
The rates for blacks who marry outside their race have risen, but still remain much lower than rates for Hispanics, Asians and American Indians who marry into other races.

As a result of these demographic trends, experts predict that in the 21st Century, the U.S. population will no longer be crisply divided between whites, blacks, Hispanics, Asians and American Indians.

Source: Michael Lind (Harper's magazine), "The Beige and the Black," New York Times Magazine, August 16, 1998.

the flames's mom
nahyssan
redskyndn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 08:39 PM   #67
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007 at 04:21 AM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 08:41 PM   #68
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
Re: losing Indian Blood

Last edited by Roobz; 08-28-2007 at 04:20 AM..
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-04-2004, 09:19 PM   #69
Junior Dancer

lovlie1 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Peacekeeper83
I think what stirbaby is saying...is that over the course of 500 years of dealing with the white culture...race mixing has occured alot...and in a sense he is saying...do you ignore those who are a result of it?...or bring them back into the fold...to stregthen the Bloodlines?
Lets be honest here....100 years ago to be considered Native is alot different than now...many people were born not of that particular tribe..some where born whiter..others black..others of other tribes...but yet they were considered of the tribe that they belonged to...here is an example...Navajos...would you consider anyone of the Mexican clan any less Navajo?or the Hopi clan..any less Navajo?yet the clans originated from the Mexican captives or the intermarrying with the Hopi people...now...they are clans of the Navajo and not a thought is given to their origins...how many other tribes can look at their own history..and see where a mixed blood or someone born of another race was taken in and accepted?Quannah Parker of the Comanches...Blue Jacket of the Shawnee..Sequoyah of the Cherokee....the list goes on and on...
We have allowed the governments method of "breeding us out" to dictate who we have become...all to often I have heard...if you are not 4/4 of a particular tribe...you are not Native...but again...there are those who are 4/4 Native blood..but can't be legally considered a Native..because of the quantity of Native blood to any one tribe..
Yes I am a mix blood..1/4 Iroquois..Mohawk..my children are 1/2 Navajo...soon I will expect my first grandchild...3/4 Navajo...1/8 Iroquois...throw in some Irish to boot...funny...We are the only People who have to be specific about how much blood we carry...when was the last time someone told you they were 7/16ths Irish...and had it documented?or African American?..if someone told you they were Black...would you doubt them because they were a little light skinned?..
There are alot of people out there who are Native..results of mixed marriages..who are told they are not Native by the government...and enforced by the attitudes by some of Our own people? Alot of tribes are realizing that now...how many tribes are dropping the Quantum requirements to save themselves from a possible extinction?There are tribes who are huge who never think about this...i.e. Navajo..the Sioux Nations...ect...but one day...maybe they will...then what?

I could not have said it better! I study history as a hobby and the one thing I notice was how non-european people grew in population. Almost every non-white culture use the process of assimalation to gain more people, including natives. Africans did for centuries along with the Incas, Aztecs, and Olmecs. Even some white cultures did it i.e. the Vikings. Remember Quannah's mother who was white could not even get back into the swing of things when she was re-captured by her own people. According to this blood quantum some tribes are extinct, but according to cultural ways they are still here. Prime example is the Gullah people on the coast of S.C and GA. None of them or their decendants knowingly tried to maintain their ways from Africa but yet in today they still have it! Natives must decide will they live by this European ideology of how you view yourself and others or live the native way.

Last edited by lovlie1; 02-09-2004 at 08:38 AM..
lovlie1 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 02:22 AM   #70
Ur No 1 RoundDanceQueen

MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
I'ma juss say I'm very disappointed with people here. Those of you who know me personally. Let it be known that I'm only a quarter and my son is 5/8....but what do you care?
I think some people are more concerned about the pigaments in their skin and less with their culture.
Call me a cracker, call me a half breed, I don't give a fugg... jus let it be known I'm proud of who I am.. ALL OF ME. I don't have to show my tribal ID to know whats inside of me-look beyond skin people.... we are a beautiful people.. but the things I've read here jus shows how ignorant we can be. Seems like people are ashamed of their tribes or whatever.
So if because I'm not a full blood offends you... piss on you. I'ma take my Ojibwe, Austrian, & European azz on out! I know who I am and there's no shame here.
:Yell :Mad :Yell :Mad :Yell :Mad
"What goes around comes around. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth." Author-nknown
MishkomekinaakIkwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 10:07 AM   #71
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by MishkomekinaakIkwe
I'ma juss say I'm very disappointed with people here. Those of you who know me personally. Let it be known that I'm only a quarter and my son is 5/8....but what do you care?
:Yell :Mad :Yell :Mad :Yell :Mad
People do care. So do you. That's why you've chosen to have a baby with an Ojibwe man. Looks to me like you want to get some of that Indian bloodline back into your life through your offspring. That's what people are talking about. Trying to keep our bloodlines strong so that we don't disappear. We can't be thinking 5 years down the road. We have to think on the long term. 30-40-50 years ahead. Even more. We can't only think of ourselves right now. Sure we can have our culture right now and teach it to our kids right now. But....... if we start losing the blood each generation will lose a little and a little more, etc. until all we have are museum pieces.

Let me give you an example. I hate to do this but this seems like the only way to get people to understand. You know that guy, Stirbaby? Read his posts. He has very little Indian blood. What little he has, he's proud of. This is a man who's crying. He wants to be accepted as Indian. His bloodline will most likely be terminated after his personal generation. I,m guessing he'll reply to this post. He'll probably tell us that his partner is non-Indian and probably his offspring are courting or married to a non-Indian. (The reason will be - we can't help who we fall in love with) More blood will be lost.
Termination is a big issue with Indian people. Many of our people will be responsible for our own personal and cultural termination because we can't help who we fall in love with.

Mishkomekinaakikwe, nobody is getting down on you. Rather, myself..... I am proud of you because you are turning your family line into a stronger Anishinaabe family. Make some more!
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 10:59 AM   #72
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwenzi...Very good.
People cannot understand someones frustration till you have had your own. The Fullblood on the rez just cannot understand the frustration of mixed bloods in an urban area.
When every one in your community, looks like you, talks like you, dances like you, it is easy to stay focused, to marry within the community.. I was born into a tiny Indian community, way back in the woods. Never knew anything else. Then the Govt. policies of the 50"s sent my folks to town...YIPES... I did not know there were that many other kinds of people.
Then school, college... in a big world how do you maintain genetic purity? Those who can keep the bloodlines are insuring a strong natve presence for the future, good for them, but try to not discriminate against those who did not, or could not.

Last edited by storm; 02-05-2004 at 11:52 AM..
storm is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 01:04 PM   #73
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by storm
Kiwenzi...Very good.
People cannot understand someones frustration till you have had your own. The Fullblood on the rez just cannot understand the frustration of mixed bloods in an urban area.
When every one in your community, looks like you, talks like you, dances like you, it is easy to stay focused, to marry within the community.. I was born into a tiny Indian community, way back in the woods. Never knew anything else. Then the Govt. policies of the 50"s sent my folks to town...YIPES... I did not know there were that many other kinds of people.
Then school, college... in a big world how do you maintain genetic purity? Those who can keep the bloodlines are insuring a strong natve presence for the future, good for them, but try to not discriminate against those who did not, or could not.
I'm not discriminating. I stated my opinion. That's all I can do. Whether anyone agrees or disagrees is entirely up to them.

It is people with like mind who will ensure that our next generations bloodlines will still be strong. I don't know if there will be forums like this when my great-grandchildren are around, but I can say that (with a great deal of certainty) at least one of them will be typing out a message like this in 40 years or so.

How can I say this? The importance of keeping the bloodline strong was instilled in my great-grand parents who passed this on as I have done with my son as he is doing with his offspring.

In fact, I'm writing it down along with a record of our family tree which will be passed to each grand child and hopefully passed on from there. There is a lot of truth in that saying about teaching your children at a young age and they will not depart from it. I think that is some kind of Biblical phrase but I heard it and has stuck with me.

I see the teasing that kids get that are mixed with non-Indian. I don't get pleasure from that. I feel bad for them.

It's not a good thing but it's real. It happens. These are some of the consequences that young people have to deal with when considering mixing with non-natives.

I'm not hating, my freinds. I'm just being real.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-05-2004, 07:39 PM   #74
Junior Dancer

HarleyHunk is on a distinguished road
You can either live and love the chick your with.
If she's not indian well you can't have luck on your side all the time. Just live with what your ticker tells you.
If it says live your life with him or her do it man.
You can teach the kids what you know but in my experience man kids learn what you show them anyway.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:17 PM   #75
a Peace of.........

Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
I think whats truely important..is to keep our culture alive....you don't have to be fullblood to do that...but to teach our young..the things were have been taught..if you haven't been taught...learn...there are many good people in our communities who are willing to teach..be it in the traditional enviroment..or the urban enviroment...but we have to look at each other as brothers and sisters..mothers and fathers....if there are those that are of our blood..we should embrace them all...
Old 02-06-2004, 01:01 PM   #76
Teen Dancer

Great insite to this issue.
I think that mixed bloods should do what they can to enhance the legal rights of fullbloods, and to suport the culture.
Mixed bloods should have a path made available, by the ful and near full bloods, to bring us in to the culture.
how can i learn.
Oh, its a wahnahbee, get lost.
thats not the way.
the mixed bloods, who have not been raised around the culture, need, must have, the prpoer leadership from those that can provide the teaching.

But, I think that we should hear all voices, and suport the many that have a plan of success for the blood and the culture.
" We beseech and demand... that you accept the Church and the Superior Organization of the whole world and recognize the supreme Pontiff, called the Pope, and that in his name you acknowledge the King and Queen... his representatives, as the lords and superior authorities of these islands and main lands...
If you do not do this, or resort maliciously to delay, we warn you that, with the aid of God, we will enter your land against you with force and will make war in every place and by every means we can and are able, and we will then subject you to the yoke and authority of the church and of their Highnesses.

--The Requerimiento (read by Spanish Conquistadors to the people of the "New World" )
Old 02-06-2004, 01:19 PM   #77
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
stirbaby, looks like i am chasing you all over the board today,
HEY! we resolved that wannabe stuff on another thread YOU started.... You say you have Indian blood then you are not a wannabe!!!!! That is ressrved for those with non-native blood.
So which are you...?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:22 PM   #78
Teen Dancer

OK,but for a very light skinned fellow, with blue eyes, i get too touchy about the wahnah bee label.
my bad, sorry for dragging that old issue out.
you can run, but you cannot hide STORm. LOL

"If that's the case then it's up to us to see that it doesn't happen.

To me, speaking the language and keeping our language is important. Teaching it to my kids is even more important as well.

Losing our status as a tribe or as native peoples is something we should all consider in the future ahead. I know I sound preachy, but if ignorant statements like "it doesn't matter" is said, then I'm definitely going to try my hardest to see that we do strive to maintain our cultural identity.

I will not blend in with the whites, and I will go down preventing that it doesn't happen. "

I am what i am.
I put my picture up so that my whiteness can be seen.
I will fight for the fullbloodsrights, and expansion of their rights.
They cannot blend in, they walk the red road in every step, and i love them for that.
Long live the fullbloods.
they are the spine of our people.

Last edited by Stirbaby; 02-06-2004 at 01:26 PM..
Old 02-06-2004, 01:33 PM   #79
Teen Dancer

Hey, it is all realative (every pun intended)
I am a mutt. I have to SHAVE. My gandpa thought it was horrible... all he used was a spring, to pulled his few whiskers out. I married a mixed blood, our kids range from my oldest, (dark brown, never gonna shave) to another boy who is light with sandy hair. I can only imagine the teasing if I had a blue eyed kid.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:35 AM   #80
Ur No 1 RoundDanceQueen

MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
MishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond reputeMishkomekinaakIkwe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Kiwehnzii
People do care. So do you. That's why you've chosen to have a baby with an Ojibwe man. Looks to me like you want to get some of that Indian bloodline back into your life through your offspring. That's what people are talking about. Trying to keep our bloodlines strong so that we don't disappear.
Mishkomekinaakikwe, nobody is getting down on you. Rather, myself..... I am proud of you because you are turning your family line into a stronger Anishinaabe family. Make some more!
I did not choose to have a baby with an OJIBWE man based on his RACE! My ability to reproduce is not raced based! My ovaries don't work like that!
All of my children will know who & what they are. First, and formost is their culture. Not the color of their skin. Don't be proud of me because of my sons blood quatom is higher than my own-be proud for the right reasons. That he has his ojibwe name, thats he attends big drum, that hes learning the language. that he has a lil grassy outfit.... but not SOLEY on the color of his skin.

I hope we do not pass on this type of thinking to our future.
"What goes around comes around. Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching. Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth." Author-nknown

Last edited by MishkomekinaakIkwe; 02-07-2004 at 04:38 AM..
MishkomekinaakIkwe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links