Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Lumbee: the only tribe ever made by the government Lumbee: the only tribe ever made by the government

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #201
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
just realized no one really answered your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremely Confused View Post
Hello..I hope its ok to bump such an old thread, but it is very relevant to my interests and It would be a waste to just start a new thread with such good information already available in this one.

The struggle that the Indians in Roberson County are facing when it comes to this topic interests me greatly. I was just wondering though, why the lumbee and Tuscarora are so split? From what I can gather,they are the exact same people. I feel that one reason it is very hard for the lumbee to be taken seriously by the government is because of their name and their history of being pretty "confused" about their heritage. The fact that they assimilated so quickly also seems to hurt their recognition efforts.
The split is because people cannot agree on their origins. Some want to say Cheraw, some want to say Tuscarora and some are saying they are a little bit of everything. There are no clear lines tracing people to one tribe in particular so that's why people wanted a name and Lumbee is a locational (meaning it denotes where they are as a people) as opposed to a "traditional" name. The groups saying they are Tuscarora are against this name saying it's made up and it robs them of their true identity. The truth is no one really knows any thing for absolute certainty what or if there is a "majority blood".

Quote:
Why can't the Lumbee and the various Tuscarora bands team up together and petition the government as associated tribes, different people but under one identity? I'm pretty sure from what I read that the Lumbee descended from all of the suspected tribes that are mentioned. There could be a little Cheraw here and there, pinch of Tuscarora, and maybe a little black and white. Theres probably some Lumbee that have no Tuscarora at all, and some Tuscarora that don't share any blood with the Lumbee.
In Robeson County they ARE one and the same people by blood relations, but like I said, disagreements over origins. Personally I think the Lumbee name is awesome and includes all the indian people there but the "Tuscarora" factions don't agree and want to be known as Tuscaroras.

Quote:
But these tribes live in a state that has a VERY bad record when it comes to the treatment of its native people. It would be more likely to get full recognition and benefits if these tribes teamed up, got the Lumbee Act amended, and petitioned as one identity that appeased both parties, such as "The Siouan & Iroquoian of North Carolina", just as an example.
And here is where it gets a bit snarky... cause yes, it would but the Tuscarora groups don't want to be under Lumbee leadership either..... you following now?

Quote:
Who knows, I'm probably just saying a bunch of non-sense. Just a thought. This fighting needs to end soon. The answers are out there, compromises need to be made. In the end there are 50k-60k people in NC who continue to be affected by the genocide of their people that happened a long long time ago. If a solution isn't reached soon (within the next 20 years) I feel that any hope of getting what is rightfully yours will slip through your fingers.

-A concerned, extremely confused, onlooker.
Yeah it does need to end but I doubt anyone will see it in our lifetime. ... And don't let it concern you too bad... it's alot of politics and pride that takes a long time to learn and still you'll never figure out.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:41 AM   #202
Junior Dancer

lumbeedancer is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
The main problem as it stands now is ignorance......people honestly just don't know all the facts.

If folks in Robco are ever to be united and of one accord it will be when ALL the facts are laid on the table and publicly presented to ALL of our people as a whole.

So here is my proposal: I challenge the Lumbee leadership:
Arlinda Locklear, Jimmy Goins and all their researchers like Jack Campisi, Wes White, etc........to hold a PUBLIC debate on the issues right here in Robco (at GPAC maybe?). Bring your Cheraw documentation with you and we will bring our Tuscarora documentation with us. Advertise it in the paper a few months ahead of time and clear the air once and for all IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!!!

It's time for OUR people to stop letting folks dictate their identity for them. It's time to educate ourselves and decide this as a collective INFORMED whole!!!

Lums.....hold them accountable and make them do it..........please make them do it!! If they won't, then that should tell you something shouldn't it? Indian Country....if they won't then that should tell you something shouldn't it?

Jimmy, Arlinda, Jack, Wes, etc........Yall are being called out!!!! What're you gonna do? (yall know how to get up with me.....so let me know when you’re ready to do this thang.....Mr. Baker, I know you read this site....so please bring this to the attention of your superiors whenever you get a chance.).

Yours truly,
Bobby Hurt
lumbeedancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 AM   #203
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Face it Bobby... even if they all agreed, there are too many would be "chiefs" to ever unite everyone. If the folks in charge right now said.. sure we are all REALLY Tuscaroras (truth or not) the other folks would still be separated from them because they don't want to leave their leadership positions to be just regular indians anymore. There would then be a new reason to be split. That's why all the "tuscaroras" keep tribe jumping and forming new "tribes".
Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #204
Junior Dancer

lumbeedancer is a name known to all
Your such an optimistic person.
lumbeedancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #205
Honey Connoissuer

Well I try to be... But in this case I'm being realistic. When the Tuscarora groups themselves can't pull together under one leadership because they can't agree on whatnot and just keep splintering into new groups.. what makes you think that proving to the rest of the lumbee that they are tuscarora will unite everyone? At least as Lumbee they are united as one.. you don't see splintering Lumbee affiliations.
Old 09-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #206
Tiny Tot Dancer

DarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these partsDarkWaterDeweller is infamous around these parts
Savings: 517.50
TOTE,Dude your a idiot we love this Tribe look at Henry Berry Lowerie,you are just another hater did he not hang with the LUMBER RIVER INDIANS (hint) OOPs i hope i didnt hurt your feelings i respect every tribe in Nc i just hate scum like you to disrepect others, lumbees wasnt a made up name it was a name we felt good with because the other names was place on us because of what they seen and more Hint look in Lost colony books it talks about Powhatan Indian ,Hint indians from Croatan village,ooops who is that i belive Cohaire band..your tribe siad there was no one left behind But wasnt some sold as slaves?didnt lumbees take in slaves?so why come we dont have you guys in our tribe?yes East of the mountians i belive right is that what band you belong to?how many lumbees have every treated you like trash?why come we cant come together for a common goal?its not our fualt you didnt get reconized but cant we work together for the same goal.?Lumbees fight for what we belive in so do you so dont try to disjudge our culture because we never judge you i came to cali and told cherokees what i was and the history and how the eastren band treat us do you think they hated me know they accepted em even ask me to go to their traditional events.Thats all i have to say.Sorry if i afended anyone but i didnt wont to put it that way i just dont understand why they hate us But come to us for support my grandpa was a lowry were did that family come from Henry berry lowry,were did he come from....you know what tribe he came from i dont even have to say.

Last edited by DarkWaterDeweller; 09-24-2009 at 12:06 PM..
DarkWaterDeweller is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #207
Powwow Dancer

2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute2 Trails has a reputation beyond repute
Lumbee made by government

Hey TOTE, I have an idea. Since you and some of the other are so much against the Lumbee or dont like there name, how about just wiping them out. I know that sounds so stupid but it is no different than what you are saying. Why dont you leave them alone and let them be who there are. During the last 10 years I have seen such an increase of NDN attack on NDN that I wonder if any Tribes will be left. Paper genocide is happening all the time. People get over yourself, stop attempting to destroy the tribal communities. The U.S. govenerment is doing all it can to do away with the Indains. If you dont believe it just keep watching them.

"The government did not make me who I am. The creator did".

Sitting Bull
2 Trails is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links