Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Lumbee: the only tribe ever made by the government Lumbee: the only tribe ever made by the government

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-16-2005, 11:17 PM   #81
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LumbeeGirl10 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Free weekend my A$$

If you already accepted me, then why does your group say that I am not a member. I cant click on the files I cant click on anything in your group page. just when does this free weekend start?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskerah
Chwe'n,
I tell you what, you don't have to join the group, although I already accepted a "mato_koda_april" on the 10th of this month. Is that not you?

Anyway, I have opened the group to allow anyone to see the archives this weekend. You can download to your hearts content. Again what you do with it is your business.

This goes for anyone. Here is the link:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCTusc...%20the%20past/

If that doesnt work: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCTuscarora/

go here and goto the file section.
in the robeson county indian history section you will find the oldest documents, but look at everything.

Ooneh,
Chris
LumbeeGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2005, 11:45 PM   #82
Tiny Tot Dancer

Roskerah is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 903.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbeeGirl10
If you already accepted me, then why does your group say that I am not a member. I cant click on the files I cant click on anything in your group page. just when does this free weekend start?
Chwe'n,
This is a screen shot of the last activity for the group:
Dec 9, 2005 10:22 pm mato_koda_april Membership requested via web
Dec 10, 2005 10:25 am mato_koda_april Membership request approved by roskerah via web
Dec 12, 2005 9:51 pm senecawd94 Membership requested via web
Dec 12, 2005 10:13 pm senecawd94 Membership request approved by roskerah via web
Dec 14, 2005 12:12 pm tuscarora_bearcat Membership requested via web
Dec 14, 2005 2:30 pm tuscarora_bearcat Membership request approved by roskerah via web
Dec 16, 2005 1:02 pm mato_koda_april Removed by moderator by roskerah via web

I took you back off when you posted your earlier post today, because you "said" you couldn't get on there.

Now, when I read this last post of yours, I checked the group. If you will look at the second link I gave, you will see that you can read all of the posts (archives), but not the files. You will have to join, and you will then be able to immediately see the elusive files. I mispoke in my last post about going directly to the files, but you can still read the past posts without joining.

Ooneh,
Chris
Old 12-17-2005, 09:21 PM   #83
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
civilized discussion

I think it's dishonorable to us LUMBEES when we stoop to levels such as name calling and inappropriate language. It reinforces every stereotype of us (LUMBEES) out there. "Oh, those crazy NDNS from Robeson County, that's those Lumbees." While we may disagree with the Tuscarora point of view, we can agree to disagree on friendly terms. These people are from our communities. They live with us, work with us, are kin to us. Let's not put each other down and toss out insults and blame. It accomplishes nothing.

On another note, what's this about Jana insulting a crowd? Wow, that doesn't sound like her! I think she has an awesome voice, but, she needs to lose the hokey outfits and the white backup dancers! Other than that, she's the bomb!
Old 12-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #84
Pow Wow Visitor

T.O.T.E. is on a distinguished road
I bet you guys thought i would never come back and reply to my own thread, you should check out the other threads i have on here, they speak the truth also.

lumbeegirl, maybe you should check out who the woman was that james lowry married, i cant remember if she was a full blooded tuscarora woman or a half, thats why he left virginia because interacial mariage was not allowed.

geronimo, what is it you dissagree on about tuscarora blood being so strong here in pembroke and diffrent areas? maybe you should join the yahoo group and read up on the files and join in on some of the discusions. maybe you will get tired of living this lie that is still beeing taught to our kids. you already know the truth any way.
T.O.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #85
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
wait.. he left virginia because interacial marriage was illegal? Was'nt it illegal in NC also???

Geronimo... great words there!!!
Old 12-18-2005, 06:14 PM   #86
Pow Wow Visitor

godstomp is on a distinguished road
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonah04
Yeah I saw that at www.jananation.com wtf? is one of the songs in German or something??
Gernonimo, whats wrong w/ da hokey outfits? I really really like them.

And I like the statement she makes by having two blond back up singers. For once, the blondes are in the background while an Indian takes front and center.

Last edited by godstomp; 12-18-2005 at 10:29 PM..
godstomp is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2005, 09:28 PM   #87
Pow Wow Visitor

Thumbs down Questions for TOTE and other (Tuskaroras)

[QUOTE=T.O.T.E.]I bet you guys thought i would never come back and reply to my own thread, you should check out the other threads i have on here, they speak the truth also.

Why do you fight against your own people? Why do "Tuscaroras" want to hurt thier own people? Why do you hold ceremonies in which you curse your own people?

Next, no one really knows what T.O.T.E really means do they? Why "Tusc. of the east" when Tuscaroras are already in the east? Makes no sense. What if it means something else?

Was James Lowry's wife ever recorded as being Tuscarora? Don't think so.
How about any Indian who migrated to southern N.C.?

And if James Lowry was from England, why don't you trace to his ancestry also and learn to speak with a British accent and have tea socials??

Last edited by godstomp; 12-21-2005 at 01:34 AM..
Old 12-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #88
Pow Wow Visitor

LumbeeGirl10 will become famous soon enough
I think everyone is tired of you!

I already know who he married! She was a Berry girl from the lost colony. There son James II married a girl named Sarah, she was supposed to be tuscarora and white. The key word there is SUPPOSED, no one is sure. They left VA because he was given land by the king. Maybe you should get things straight before you go and post this junk! Why do you guys keep telling people to join your group? Once you join you say you can look at files, but you never see these files. I joined and said i would get an email and I never got the email. But was told i was in the group and then was taken off because of one of my posts. what is the big deal with your group, is there some big secret you dont want anyone to see, or is there anything there at all?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.O.T.E.
I bet you guys thought i would never come back and reply to my own thread, you should check out the other threads i have on here, they speak the truth also.

lumbeegirl, maybe you should check out who the woman was that james lowry married, i cant remember if she was a full blooded tuscarora woman or a half, thats why he left virginia because interacial mariage was not allowed.

geronimo, what is it you dissagree on about tuscarora blood being so strong here in pembroke and diffrent areas? maybe you should join the yahoo group and read up on the files and join in on some of the discusions. maybe you will get tired of living this lie that is still beeing taught to our kids. you already know the truth any way.

Last edited by LumbeeGirl10; 12-19-2005 at 12:18 AM..
LumbeeGirl10 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 01:47 AM   #89
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumbeeGirl10
I already know who he married! She was a Berry girl from the lost colony. There son James II married a girl named Sarah, she was supposed to be tuscarora and white. The key word there is SUPPOSED, no one is sure. They left VA because he was given land by the king. Maybe you should get things straight before you go and post this junk! Why do you guys keep telling people to join your group? Once you join you say you can look at files, but you never see these files. I joined and said i would get an email and I never got the email. But was told i was in the group and then was taken off because of one of my posts. what is the big deal with your group, is there some big secret you dont want anyone to see, or is there anything there at all?
Chwe'n,
I told you that the site was open. If you really wanted to see anything, you would have by now. So, I am posting some things here for you, and all others. It may take several posts, but here it goes.

This current photo is from the Robesonian back on April 2, 1959. I will post the article portion momentarily, but in the photo, you will see Mr. Welton Lowery, Simeon Oxendine, who had the KKK flag draped across his shoulders in Life magazine, and the others are Irving Powless(Onondaga), Mad Bear Anderson(TuscaroraNew York), and several others who I dont know their names right now. This was Mad Bear's first visit to Robeson, but the article says that he came here partially to see Rev. D.F. Lowry, "a Tuscarora himself"

I will give a run down of everything I post, and hopefully you can read what everything says. If not, I will be happy to transcribe it.

Ooneh,
CHris
Attached Thumbnails
attachment.jpg  
Old 12-19-2005, 02:52 AM   #90
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chwe'n,
This is a crop of the whole article. For some reason, I can't upload the whole thing now. The photo went fine, and is much larger, but you see how I had to srop this.

Anyway, this is what this snipette says:

A secondary purpose of the visit was a personal one. The ancestors of Mad Bear, who prefers not to use his english name, came from the Robeson county area in 1711-1714, he says, and he wanted to see Rev. D.F. Lowry, a Tuscarora himself and an authority on Lumbee Indian origins to seek additional information about his forebears. Unfortunately, Mr. Lowry was out of town. But, Mad Bear said; the stop was a rewarding one; now he knows the Lumbees personally.

Mr. Lowry's own son Kermit, was tested in the thirties. On his application, he said that his heritage was Tuscarora and Cherokee. His wife Pattie Moye Richardson, claimed only Tuscarora. This file is also on the group site in its entirety.

If anyone wants to see the whole thing, use a yahoo ID and join the group here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/NCTuscarora/

You will not have to wait for any approval. It is completely open.

More to follow
Ooneh,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
half-crop.jpg  

Last edited by Roskerah; 12-19-2005 at 02:56 AM.. Reason: to add info on D.F.'s son Kermit
Roskerah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 03:14 AM   #91
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chwe'n,
This is another snipette of a article from the Fayetteville Observer dated February 12, 1885, which was two days after the name Croatan was given to the people here.

This article is in it's entirety on the group. Sorry I can't upload it all here.

This portion says:

"Now, Mr. McMillan says that these Croatan Indians of Robeson county claim to be the descendants of the white colony, by intermarriage with the whites. They say that their traditions say that the people we call the Croatan Indians(though they do not recognize that name as that of a tribe, but only a village, and that they were Tuscaroras), were friendly to the whites; and finding them destitute and despairing of ever receiving aid from England, persuaded them to go to the mainland. They intermarried with the whites, learned the English language, and abandoned their own tongue. They gradually drifted away from their original seats, and at length settled in Robeson about the centre of the county. The first deed extant for that county was issued in 1732 to Henry Berry and James Lowry, progenitors of the famous Henry Berry Lowry."

More to follow
Ooneh,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
1885-crop.jpg  
Old 12-19-2005, 03:26 AM   #92
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chwe'n,
This next article comes from Harpers Weekly, dated March 30, 1872. Again, I can only post a small portion here.

This portion says:

HENRY BERRY LOWERY, the chief- a light mulatto, dubiously said to be intermixed with Tuscarora Indian blood, the white ingredient being pure Scotch of Highland stock. He is of a family memorial free in North Carolina, and his granfather moved at the beginning of this century from the county of Halifax, near the Virginia line, to a border county near the South Carolina line, and......."

More to follow
Ooneh,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
harpers-weekly-crop.jpg  
Old 12-19-2005, 07:53 AM   #93
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roskerah
Chwe'n,
Simeon Oxendine, who had the KKK flag draped across his shoulders in Life magazine,
WTF???????? Please explain!!!!

I'm not even Lumbee and have been eavesdropping on this thread because it nearly reads like a soap opera, but dang can you help a sister out??? Also in your last post you cite a clipping that calls their chief Henry Berry Lowry "a light mulatto", do you know what the definition of mulatto has been every since white folks began using it? A mulatto is someone who is Black and White. In some caribbean areas it was someone who was Latino and Black, but there was always that one drop.......

So the purpose of my post is, what is the Klan connection, and did you imply that Lumbees have Black blood (something that I thought initially when I saw a few but I was told not to mention it, because that was considered taboo.

Most of you know me, I'm not trying to start anything, and if I opened a can of worms forgive me, the can was just sitting right there and I was nosey
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 09:57 AM   #94
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homalosa
WTF???????? Please explain!!!!

I'm not even Lumbee and have been eavesdropping on this thread because it nearly reads like a soap opera, but dang can you help a sister out??? Also in your last post you cite a clipping that calls their chief Henry Berry Lowry "a light mulatto", do you know what the definition of mulatto has been every since white folks began using it? A mulatto is someone who is Black and White. In some caribbean areas it was someone who was Latino and Black, but there was always that one drop.......

So the purpose of my post is, what is the Klan connection, and did you imply that Lumbees have Black blood (something that I thought initially when I saw a few but I was told not to mention it, because that was considered taboo.

Most of you know me, I'm not trying to start anything, and if I opened a can of worms forgive me, the can was just sitting right there and I was nosey
Chwe'n,
Yes, I know what the term Mulatto means, but here in N.C. the term was used for anyone not all white. The term melungeon has also been used to describe the people here.

No, I was not implying that the Lumbee have black blood, though as with most Nations/Tribes, there has been some black, white, yellow, and other red blood, but what I was referring to about the kkk flag, was the fact that in 1958, the Indians here in Robeson county physically stopped the KKK from holding a rally in Maxton, and there has never been another meeting here to this day. The story made international news, and Life magazine came to do a story on the people here that took part in running them off.

The man on the cover was Simeon Oxendine, who supposedly shot a light out above the heads of the clansmen, which began the hysteria, ending with the clansmen running for their lives.

Hope this explains more.

Ooneh,
Chris

Last edited by Roskerah; 12-19-2005 at 10:03 AM.. Reason: mispelling
Old 12-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #95
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
oic, thanx for explaining that.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 02:21 PM   #96
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chwe'n,
This current attachment is a letter from Bill Ott, Eastern Area Director for the BIA, to Senator Carl Levin, regarding the "22" tested in the thirties.

Though they were not "recognized" specifically asTuscarora back then, by 1970, they all had started claiming their Tuscarora blood that had been hidden for so long. It was up to them as to what Tribal affiliation they were to choose.

The final page can be seen on the group.

Ooneh,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
levin-crop.jpg  

Last edited by Roskerah; 12-19-2005 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: attachment was unreadable
Old 12-19-2005, 02:30 PM   #97
Tiny Tot Dancer

Chwe'n,

This next one is the application snippette of Kermit Lowry.
Attached Thumbnails
kermit-lowry-app-1.jpg  
Old 12-23-2005, 09:12 PM   #98
Pow Wow Visitor

didnt think so...

I didn't think anyone would reply.

[QUOTE=godstomp]
Quote:

Why do you fight against your own people? Why do "Tuscaroras" want to hurt thier own people? Why do you hold ceremonies in which you curse the Lumbee?

Next, no one really knows what T.O.T.E really means do they? Why "Tusc. of the east" when Tuscaroras are already in the east? Makes no sense. What if it means something else?

Was James Lowry's wife ever recorded as being Tuscarora? Don't think so. How about any Indian who migrated to southern N.C.?

And if James Lowry was from England, why don't you trace to his ancestry also and learn to speak with a British accent and have tea socials??
Old 12-24-2005, 12:40 AM   #99
Tiny Tot Dancer

[QUOTE=godstomp]I didn't think anyone would reply.

Originally Posted By: godstomp
Quote:

Why do you fight against your own people? Why do "Tuscaroras" want to hurt thier own people? Why do you hold ceremonies in which you curse the Lumbee?

Was James Lowry's wife ever recorded as being Tuscarora? Don't think so. How about any Indian who migrated to southern N.C.?

Chwe'n,

I'll tell you what Godstomp; come to the yahoo group, join, and you can get your answers to these questions there, or, if you live in Pembroke, you can come over to my home and see everything in person. If you know how to get to Lost Colony Trading Post, then you can find my home.

Oh, and if you don't mind, could you post anything that you have that proves what the Lumbee leadership is saying in regards to Cheraw? Or Catawba? Or any other blood that they say Lumbee come from? Preferably older ones like the ones I posted proving Tuscarora. If you come to my home, maybe you can bring it then, because I would love to see it.

Ooneh,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
tomestones-009.jpg  

Last edited by Roskerah; 12-24-2005 at 12:59 AM.. Reason: added attachment
Old 12-24-2005, 03:23 AM   #100
Pow Wow Visitor

T.O.T.E. is on a distinguished road
well godstomp what are you gonna do? you gonna take chris up on his offer or can you handle the truth that we speak of. you can do your own research if you want,ask your friend wes white he works for the lumbee doing geneology and destroying tuscarora history. he once worked for the tuscarora of nc but he was paid off to go work for the lumbee and make up lies. maybe you should ask him he knows the truth, he might lie though. just see what chris has he wont lead you wrong. btw are you lumbee cheraw or lumbee sioun just asking. and T.O.T.E. does mean tuscaroras of the east. it was acode used for henry berry lowry (tuscarora) when he was in hide out and it is on a few old tomdstones around here.

nya we, john c.
T.O.T.E. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links