Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Mascot Issue in South Carolina - I need your help!! Mascot Issue in South Carolina - I need your help!!

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-29-2005, 09:46 AM   #1
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Savings: 0.00
Mascot Issue in South Carolina - I need your help!!

I've been corresponding with a teacher in my hometown of Sumter, SC. She was wanting to have some people come out and dance for her middle school. The school's mascot is Indians. So I also was trying to make her aware of this issue. During this process she forwarded my message to other teachers at the school.

One of these, Brian Griffith, has responded accidently to me instead of her. He believes this is a laughing matter and is making light of the situation. Whether you agree or disagree with the issue or not, you should not make fun of it. That is not the type of tolerence I want the children of South Carolina learning!

I'm asking all you to help me out with this issue. Please send emails to him, his principal, and the superintendent.

Brian Griffith
bgriffith@fms.sumter2.org

Principal
dwilson@fms.sumter2.org

Superintendent
fbaker@district.sumter2.org

Thanks!
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #2
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Could you post his response that he sent to you? That would help in drafting letters as we'd have actual quotes from him.

Also, was thinking - since powwows.com is such a large and diverse cross-section of Indian Country - why not draft a letter with the moderators help and then send the letter with "signatures" from those willing to sign it. Individual letters often get ignored, but a letter with over a thousand signatures might not.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:12 AM   #3
Webmaster

Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the email from Linda Beck, the original person I was takling, below. It appears that she was taking the issue seriously and wanted to know more about it.

Quote:
Dear Paul,
Thanks for the helpful information. I am upset about the mascot thing.
Had no idea about the NCAA. What does NCAA stand for. I will need to know that and will persue talking to the higher ups here regarding this matter. Will keep you posted regarding a pow wow here on our school grounds.
Thanks so very much!
Linda Beck
Brian's response, apparently not meant for me!

Quote:
What have you gotten yourself into? Change the mascot? LOL
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM   #4
Webmaster

He has responded again. This time he has apologized but claims his comments were not about the mascot issue. I find that really hard to believe!

Here is his reply:
Quote:
I was replying to Mrs. Beck about the information that she got back from you about how much money it takes to put together a pow wow that she and I have discussed. I do apologize for the LOL. It was intended for the fact that it would be very difficult to raise enough money to get this project together. I was not trying to make light of the subject at hand. Again, I do apologize for the miscommunication.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
Could you post his response that he sent to you? That would help in drafting letters as we'd have actual quotes from him.

Also, was thinking - since powwows.com is such a large and diverse cross-section of Indian Country - why not draft a letter with the moderators help and then send the letter with "signatures" from those willing to sign it. Individual letters often get ignored, but a letter with over a thousand signatures might not.
A group letter is a great idea.

I'm not a great letter writer. Can someone here help with that?

And in the meantime, please email him and the others at his school!

Thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 06:40 AM   #6
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
A group letter is a great idea.

I'm not a great letter writer. Can someone here help with that?

And in the meantime, please email him and the others at his school!

Thanks
Whatever came of this Paul???
Just a followup
Old 07-24-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
Whatever came of this Paul???
Just a followup
Typical response. Said they would consider it, not a priority.

Here's their page:
Furman Middle - Homepage

Still the Indians.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 AM   #8
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Well, at least you tried Paul! That's a lot more than some.

I think Indian schools should start changing their names to stereotypical names from other races and see what kind of stir it creates.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 AM   #9
Halito!

New2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond reputeNew2itall has a reputation beyond repute
I see this was started in 2005. I know now that many Universities are changing their mascots including my state (Arkansas State University). As many of us work to change the University situation, then I believe it will filter down to the lower level schools. I am glad that there are folks out there willing to take this situation on!
New2itall is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-24-2008, 09:20 PM   #10
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul G View Post
Typical response. Said they would consider it, not a priority.

Here's their page:
Furman Middle - Homepage

Still the Indians.
Not front page stuff
It will come around again
Sponsored Links