Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues My Brothers and sisters, What Happened? My Brothers and sisters, What Happened?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
navajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond reputenavajo man 56 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,139.30
Savings: 0.00
My Brothers and sisters, What Happened?

I don't know if its my place to say this and i'm sorry if anyone is offended. That being said i feel i should say it.

we were once a great nation of Proud, self reliant, and strong people, but now it seems that we are not that way anymore. We survive by getting help from the government that betrayed us so many times. We partake of a substance that out once great enemy brought to us. Our country that once was ours is now taken from us, the land we call our mother is taken and abused by these foreign invaders. Our country that we used to run is now run by the people who came and wiped our ancestors. Our land taken from us and we are forced to the so called fairness of reservations. We watch all this happening and seem to do nothing about it. Our people don't do anything, but we say that we need to change, we say we are still here. Look at the way society sees us. People think we are dead, gone, extinct. Those who know we are still around think of us as an inferior people, drunks, and homeless beggars. There are people who realize this, but i don't think there is enough. What are we going to do about it?
navajo man 56 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013, 03:23 AM   #2
Champion Dancer

Items DollGuitar
renia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond repute
renia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond reputerenia58 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 25,816.82
I'm sorry that I write off. You Nation Proud and Noble. Poland has a lot of supporters of American Indian who you support. You are known. It's nice to meet you. Renata

Last edited by renia58; 03-02-2013 at 03:27 AM..
renia58 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Items TreePresentChange User Title
Credits: 15,274.41
Quote:
Originally Posted by navajo man 56 View Post
I don't know if its my place to say this and i'm sorry if anyone is offended. That being said i feel i should say it.

we were once a great nation of Proud, self reliant, and strong people, but now it seems that we are not that way anymore. We survive by getting help from the government that betrayed us so many times. We partake of a substance that out once great enemy brought to us. Our country that once was ours is now taken from us, the land we call our mother is taken and abused by these foreign invaders. Our country that we used to run is now run by the people who came and wiped our ancestors. Our land taken from us and we are forced to the so called fairness of reservations. We watch all this happening and seem to do nothing about it. Our people don't do anything, but we say that we need to change, we say we are still here. Look at the way society sees us. People think we are dead, gone, extinct. Those who know we are still around think of us as an inferior people, drunks, and homeless beggars. There are people who realize this, but i don't think there is enough. What are we going to do about it?
This should continue - I believe

Spiritflight is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Hell, lets just light this thread up with drama. :)

To quote myself, "The more militant a given American Indian is, the more you may presume they reject modern life because they're failing at it."

To quote Navajo Man 56, do you know why those who "know we are still around think of us as an inferior people, drunks, and homeless beggars?"

Because many of us are. By choice. As a lifestyle we call tradition.

Whose fault is that?
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-02-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
Quote:

The world has changed, and people change with it. We live in a world dominated by consumerism. This is destroying the planet and all people. If you live without water or electricity, in most places, they can take your kids away. The abandonment of traditional beliefs and ways of doing things is happening not just in this country but around the world. The problems you describe are not just Indian problems, but worldwide.

There are lots of groups involved in fighting this trend and just Indian people changing will not keep the planet from dying, and if you don't have a planet, its pretty hard to live any kind of way. That is the real problem. There is the UN stuff going on to protect indigenous people, should go without saying in my opinion. Not much, but a start.

I see plenty of people speaking out and doing things, but politically, many of the states that need the most environmental reform and that have the most problems, socially and economically, are "Red" or Republican states that have gutted environmental agencies then complain they are useless and fight to get rid of them altogether. They also receive the most government aid, though less of it probably goes where it should. So why do people vote this way? I honestly don't know. And why don't better people run? It is the system we have, and unless you get sovereignty, it what everyone in this country has to deal with, and it could be much worse.

There are nations fighting for sovereignty in the United States. But what good is nationhood if your water supply is contaminated with natural gas, due to poor legislation/regulation in the neighboring US?

I like natural ways of living, have some land, water, rabbits, chickens, gardens and wild plants and animals. We try to live simply, but I also have tvs, computers, stereo, etc. And I can't eat the fish in my pond but once a week, or from the river or the ocean, because of the mercury in the rain, that is put there from power plants. When i get the money, I want to go to solar, but you still have battery consumption and battery disposal. And the mercury will be there still. And soon the oceans will be fished out anyway.

Not everyone thinks we are dead, gone, extinct. I guess it depends on what you consider being Indian to be. Plenty of us are quite alive, educated, working, giving back, solving problems, in all fields. People who talk about Indians in the past tense or through stereotypes of drunkenness and poverty, they are just ignorant and not worth the time, just like people who think we all wear buckskin and bones all the time. If you count all mixed race people, Indians in America are probably close to a majority, like in Canada. At least for now.

I did have trouble a few years ago, when I tried to Google "famous Native Americans" and only got a list of historical people, no current day people or current leadership. I expected current day people, there are plenty of authors, actors, musicians, scientists, inventors, leaders, people in industry, technology, and politics. That wasn't good. I haven't tried it recently.

It seems, at least in my family or so they say, there was a time where they felt they had to decide if they wanted to maintain community ties or move away, go to school or learn a trade and assimilate with white society so they could get better jobs and advance in society. I don't think people should have had to make these choices or should have to. People moved away or some even stayed through removal, some people assimilated to get jobs and education or married whites, whether the Indian communities recognize them or not, I don't know, they just took a different path in life, but were still forced to do something.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
We watch all this happening and seem to do nothing about it. Our people don't do anything... What are we going to do about it?
What do you suggest?

I don't believe "our people don't do anything." I did something. I became a teacher. Others are doing something. Some become business people, doctors, accountants, lawyers, law enforcement professionals, skilled laborers, etc etc.

If you don't like your circumstances, just change them.
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 10:53 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Lonesome Cloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 1,533.17
We have lost our vision of the path. We are a nation of ignorance. We submitted many winters ago, to fit in, maybe? We have tried to fit in with them, while they were led into becoming docile, compliant, and ignorant. Whether or not we poison Mother Earth by running our cars or lighting our homes, or if we poison our souls with the filth from t.v. or society, we have become a nation of one. You may try to send the illegal border crossers back, and they are as likely to go back as they did back in the year 1492.
It is not a matter of "Red" state or "Blue" state, they're the ones wanting people compliant as they were at Wounded Knee in the winter of 1892. "Give up your guns, it will be okay, and better for you.", "the government will take care of you," sounds as familiar as the things they say today. We can be very smart, and still be very ignorant. Why?, because we rush to the t.v. to hear news of celebrities, or other useless television shows, play games, and many other things which we could all list. You cannot even rely on what is called t.v. news, because they will lead your mind into a path which is drawn out for some other purpose besides knowing the truth. They want you to believe a certain way. That is how we lose our path. Maybe that is how it was many winters ago. The lost ones' numbers begin to grow until they seem to be the majority. It then becomes the "normal." The spirits speak to us and we can see that this is in no way how it should be. Many times we just wait for someone else to come along and make a change instead of taking the first steps into the right path ourselves.
Lonesome Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #8
Pronounced like "docket"

Items Rainbow$CakeTreasure Chest
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
docat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond reputedocat has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 7,375.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Cloud View Post
We have lost our vision of the path. We are a nation of ignorance. We submitted many winters ago, to fit in, maybe? We have tried to fit in with them, while they were led into becoming docile, compliant, and ignorant. Whether or not we poison Mother Earth by running our cars or lighting our homes, or if we poison our souls with the filth from t.v. or society, we have become a nation of one. You may try to send the illegal border crossers back, and they are as likely to go back as they did back in the year 1492.
It is not a matter of "Red" state or "Blue" state, they're the ones wanting people compliant as they were at Wounded Knee in the winter of 1892. "Give up your guns, it will be okay, and better for you.", "the government will take care of you," sounds as familiar as the things they say today. We can be very smart, and still be very ignorant. Why?, because we rush to the t.v. to hear news of celebrities, or other useless television shows, play games, and many other things which we could all list. You cannot even rely on what is called t.v. news, because they will lead your mind into a path which is drawn out for some other purpose besides knowing the truth. They want you to believe a certain way. That is how we lose our path. Maybe that is how it was many winters ago. The lost ones' numbers begin to grow until they seem to be the majority. It then becomes the "normal." The spirits speak to us and we can see that this is in no way how it should be. Many times we just wait for someone else to come along and make a change instead of taking the first steps into the right path ourselves.
OK, I know I'm going to regret asking this...but here goes. WHAT DO YOU WANT????? I'm doing what I want. My kids are doing what they want. What is it that you want that you cannot do?
docat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2013, 01:38 AM   #9
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonesome Cloud View Post
I am really getting a vision of the old days in my mind from this post. I think I can see a man holding a rifle, sitting on horseback on a grassy hill in the prairie, with a herd of buffalo in the background. Here comes an old covered wagon. OMG, its Michael Landon from Little House on the Prairie.

He is climbing down from the wagon, wait, wait, oh no, he's walking over to the man on the horse. He says "I'm afraid I'm going to have to take that gun..." The man on the horse offers the gun, a single tear flowing down his cheek. Michael Landon takes the gun "don't worry," he says, "the government will take care of you just like it takes care of my Mary..."

And somehow Mary, though blind and still sitting in the wagon in the distance, knows to wave. Thank goodness Mary is blind and can't see the trash on the stereoscope, Michael Landon thinks. And then Michael Landon walks away, gets in the wagon, and they drive off into the sunset. Wait, what's that? There's some illegal border crossers in the back!!!

It will never be like the past, it'll be much worse, we have iterations upon iterations of worse, since fewer people are able to sustain themselves and their families in a sustainable way. And if you don't think fossil fuel usage and environmental issues won't wipe us out quite soon, the fishing out of the oceans in the next fifty years, the pollution, you're in deep denial. If you can get water, and grow and raise food, and breathe the air, and stay above the water, you can live. When you lose this, that's when things get really bad. Most people have already given this up or never had it.

So what is the RIGHT path, if everyone is wrong? Its not caring for the earth, for each other, right? That's liberal garbage. Its caring about guns and not letting the government do anything for us or anyone else but let it take our money and wage war.

I love how self-destructive Republican talking points make their way into this sacred path. I bet if we all became tea partiers we'd be on the RIGHT path. Why not tell people to slam their heads in the car door?

Go tell a 90 year old man to be self-reliant and stop taking government handouts, or a child dying of cancer, a baby with birth defects, an older woman whose had a stroke. Tell them to get out and get a job, lazy bums who want to suck off the government. Tell them to get on the right path.

In reality, in the old days, villages took care of their people, the people that couldn't care for themselves. Its no different now, except that we have a greater power to heal, to understand illness, and to act more compassionately in some cases. Some people just aren't that generous.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
Tiny Tot Dancer

reocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,708.58
Quote:

I hear you brother/sister. I agree always referring to ppl that killed, raped, and took your land away isn’t the best way, perhaps best de-humanizing way. But I do think its possible to create a better foundation & greater response.

I think re-framing who your ppl are is important -- to move beyond geography. Knowing “where” you come from, but also knowing that our ppl are out there is important too.

Geographical definitions are really just being complicit in the ‘divide and conquer’ technique of the “white” man in my opinion. They used the name of the tribes against each other, always avoiding the possibility that union would spell their defeat, and now they use words like American Indian, Pacific Islanders, Asian, etc… We’ve progressed to the point of recognizing ourselves outside of our tribe, now let’s take it further and recognize “our ppl”, outside of our geography.

What do we call all our ppl? Interestingly, there isn’t a word in English we all identify with. I wonder is there a word in any native language? To me, this is the stupid part of our race. We are the only ppl that are everywhere and yet we are the only ppl that don’t have a common identity. We haven’t wrapped our heads around who we are. I see threads here for example about what to call nDn’s to this day. I saw another thread about whether to include Hawaiians into the native american category. It all misses the point for me. Our skin tones change from being black to white and many colors in between, we have great diversity and commonalities, our cities lay on every continent, every climate, even the ocean floor from Hawaii to Yonaguni, and yet you goto youtube or some site and the vast majority stuff about history is black and white, as if we are strangers of our own lands, our own world. In Corean, we call our ppl DongYi, which translates ppl of the east. The real meaning is ppl of the Sun, or specifically ppl of the rising sun. Interestingly, our ppl change colors according to the sun and food it seems.

Here is a little something to dispel another “white” lie. Do you know what China is called in Chinese? It’s called the “middle kingdom.” You ever look at a map? How is China in the middle if its on the east of the land mass? Ever wonder? Maybe not. Well, its in the middle if you make the connection to the Americas. What we called the Old World back in the day includes the Americas. Do some research and you’ll see the interaction. When did it become the west? Think about it.

Everything tells you we are a common ppl except the “white” man, so I think “white” devotion needs to stop right now if we are ever going to move past their obstacles. Its good to discuss what we call all our ppl, but to argue where we divide our ppl, is just sticking our head in the sand. If I weren’t part of “our ppl”, it would be laughable. How deep the “white” devotion runs. We don’t even think to have a conversation about all ”our ppl”. Instead, its where do we divide our ppl.

Dispelling “white” lies is apart of what can be done. Digging for our own knowledge instead of waiting for the “white” man to fill our heads with their commandments.

In Asia, some defined their ppl by geography, some by bloodlines. Nowadays, their ways are about the same, but the point is the answer lies somewhere beyond this or that. I think its safe to say now, ppl in Asia know “where” they are from but seek their ppl beyond borders. Its common to see Asians together in everyday life where one is Chinese, another Corean, Indian, Phillipino, Thai, Pakistani, etc… Alot of intermarrying goes on, and ppl learn each other’s languages and effectively become part of the social bridge that are creating innumerable benefits to all the nations of Asia and abroad. It wouldn’t be so out of this world to include a native into this picture of brothers and sisters.

I goto Mexico and ppl said the same things about Mayans. They disappeared, they are extinct, but I go there and hang with my Mayan brothers and sisters just fine. I find its a common agreement between us that our ppl were one ppl before. Its part of the adventure for our generation to find our brothers & sisters out there. To be the bridge for “our ppl.” Its about creating and re-establishing our history rather than just being some character in the 'white' man's history. If you exist, make some history, be a bridge for "our ppl.'

Creating connections between “our ppl” is enough to make them topple, and they are teetering even now. I’m guessing “WWIII” is coming because of it. Hopefully our ppl don’t kill each other for their benefit again.

But to address your question, can the answer to “what are we going to do about it?” be this simple. The answer is YES! Our ppl are the majority of the world’s population. If we focus on strengthening our selves and creating union between our ppl, the world will naturally go our way. Its the law of nature over the law of man, progress over stasis. In a world of evil, the “white” man wins, cheating, lying, killing, raping, that’s a prize they’ve earned. But in a world of competition, its looking pretty different. The “white” man stood without competition until about a decade or so ago, and look now how things are changing. Ppl will want to better themselves and ppl will want to progress, so all of this brings the way of the world into our hands sooner or later. The aggressor needs our hearts and mind, put it rather towards your brothers and sisters.

You may just find that your long lost brother & sister still recognizes and welcomes you. Not without effort however i.e. understanding, language, culture, etc. but I think something worth putting alot more endeavor into than the path of “white” devotion. Ironically, it will probably speed the approval of the ‘white‘ man by doing so. Look where black ppl have gotten. Africa & China making connections, cutting out the “white” man in the process, and in a flash, black person becomes president. I’m just saying, if you read between the lines, the dawn of the new age, what I call the New Old World, has alot to do with “our ppl.”

And we may not be one big happy family just yet, with quarrels, conflicts, wars, etc…, but raising our kids to know about the possibility of our togetherness and what that might mean could change the world. Actually, better put, it is changing the world. Its just a small knowledge we need to share in common, and the world evolves differently. So “what are we going to do about it?” How about, let’s do it, change the world with your thought. Make a bridge towards "our ppl."
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it—always.
reocurringdream is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links