Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Native Rap and Hip-Hop... Native Rap and Hip-Hop...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 09:21 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
~%~DANNI~%~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down Native Rap and Hip-Hop...

Okay so I know I'm going to have quiet a few people at me for this but I just don't get why native people try and make rap and hip-hop music...Almost all of my friends and family really like it...But I see no point in what most of the up coming artists are rapping about...Am I the only person who doesn't like Native Rap and Hip-Hop?! Let me know
Old 01-21-2004, 01:36 PM   #2
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
I don't think there's anything wrong with rap and hip hop per se... but I do have a prob with the messages (or lack there of). More to life than gang bangin, gettin banged, and/or tore down. There are some artists out there that are actually talkin about something...... few and far between though.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
Insert Image Here

SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 261.80
Hip-Hop music has developed from a "novelty" style that originated in the underground clubs and back alleys of the inner city, to the most popular music genre on earth. Hip-Hop can be found on just about every continent (I will get back to you about Antartica), in most countries, cultures, and languages.

Hip-Hop has been called the "Soundtrack to the Streets", and the youth of today find it easier to relate. It is not for everyone, and not every one has to like it. But it's here.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Lightbulb

If it was Rock 'N' Roll or something Ultra White....Or so called White.....Well it would be Okay then right......LOL....
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #5
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I like it. Litefoot, Haida, and Boys on the Rez... some of it's really good and some of it sounds like half azzed attempts.. but i've noticed alot of us out there like both hip hop and rap.. so it's good that there's some native stuff out there that can be identified with and not just mainstream inner city stuff.
Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
*Graceless Grass Dancer*

Dancin by the bay is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Singing Otter
I don't think there's anything wrong with rap and hip hop per se... but I do have a prob with the messages (or lack there of). More to life than gang bangin, gettin banged, and/or tore down. There are some artists out there that are actually talkin about something...... few and far between though.
I don't see any thing wrong either but I don't listen to the hard rapping songs. But give a pat on the back to those native artists making a name for them and for other native artists to go for it even if the main percent of people don't listen to it.

:agree?:
Dancin by the bay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 02:32 PM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
I like some of it and listen to it occasionally but not the cussing and foul stuff. My son is an aspiring artist and he is always running his music by me. He raps about rez life but doesn't focus on rez life only. Anyway, we have our own tribal radio station and sometimes his music is played on there and it's cool. I support him in his endeavors and hope that he succeeds.
Frankly, I don't know how I raised a son to be a rapper, but I did. Myself, I go to ceremonies and am quite involved with traditional things here at home. My son always went with me and knows our songs and sings them when he sweats. The other guys that he performs with come over and they all sweat and pray too, so I'm very proud of them and encourage them to stay on a good path. Very encouraging to see our young men still practicing their traditional ways and yet be a hip hop artist. Very cool and more power to them.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 05:01 PM   #8
www.wakalapi.com

Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 336.00
Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Hip-Hop music has developed from a "novelty" style that originated in the underground clubs and back alleys of the inner city, to the most popular music genre on earth. Hip-Hop can be found on just about every continent (I will get back to you about Antartica), in most countries, cultures, and languages.

Hip-Hop has been called the "Soundtrack to the Streets", and the youth of today find it easier to relate. It is not for everyone, and not every one has to like it. But it's here.
Yep, it's in Antarctica, too. Some of the guyz at the science bases and naval support stations to the science bases like it.
Old 01-21-2004, 05:12 PM   #9
plains n8tv

tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
tradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond reputetradish_wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
To each his/her own. Why can't we all just get along and sing "we are the world, we are the children?" :agree?: :agree?: :huddle: :1Party: :blow: :mrcool: :39:

...never underestimate the power of stupid people in groups...

If quizzes are "quizical"...What are tests?
tradish_wiyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #10
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Huge fan of Rap right here! I say Rap because Hip Hop encompasses more than just Rap.

I don't care too much for some of today's new stuff. I am a big fan of the days of Sugar Hill and Melle Mel to the days of Public Enemy and Boogie Down Productions.

I thought it was funny that back in the day, Public Enemy was critiqued so harshly for their political views, and nowadays are reference by Time and US Weekly mags.

Never really got into Native Rap though. But hey, if a fella or gal wants to make an honest buck, more power to them,
Old 01-21-2004, 06:56 PM   #11
Banned

JUS ME is an unknown quantity at this point
k 1st of all what im about to say is my opinion not yours but im totally against NATIVES singing rap orhiphop songs im mean like y they tryin to act like f niggers when there not and there singing about the most crappiest things like sex drugs and booze and in the 1st place y they tryin act black man they should stick to there culture not sing some f***en mumbo jumbo
im sorry but im really into my culture and these natives who sing rap songs or hip hop whatever r nothing but nigger wannabes and if u got anyhting to say to me then say it cause what u say wont really matter to me bye bye :Chatter
JUS ME is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 07:04 PM   #12
whip cream is better

kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
kneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond reputekneegrow_native has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80.00
Thought I would point out that the Hip Hop movement was not exclusively a Black thing.

Many Italians, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans and I bet others, were involved in the whole thing.

The greatest Break Dance crew ever, the Rock Steady Crew are Puerto Ricans.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:10 PM   #13
Banned

JUS ME is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah so whatever
JUS ME is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-21-2004, 07:29 PM   #14
Champion Dancer

ron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond repute
first let me say this, I am by no means a fan of hip hop, or rap. However, it is my belief that the indians that are turning to that, and are singing it, are doing so to reach the younger generation. Each generation has their style of music.

Yes, the traditional ways are more important, however if it means reaching out to our youth through music and this is the only way they can, then why not use the music to their advantage?

But, that is only my opinion.

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
I'm still part red man deep inside!~
<Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.
ron red eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2004, 08:32 AM   #15
Tiny Tot Dancer

~%~DANNI~%~ is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by JUS ME
k 1st of all what im about to say is my opinion not yours but im totally against NATIVES singing rap orhiphop songs im mean like y they tryin to act like f niggers when there not and there singing about the most crappiest things like sex drugs and booze and in the 1st place y they tryin act black man they should stick to there culture not sing some f***en mumbo jumbo
im sorry but im really into my culture and these natives who sing rap songs or hip hop whatever r nothing but nigger wannabes and if u got anyhting to say to me then say it cause what u say wont really matter to me bye bye :Chatter
See...This is pretty much how I feel about it...But minus the "f***en" and the "n***er"...I mean...The old school Hip-Hop is cool...But JUS ME has a point...I have a lot of family...Who act like they are black...I just don't get it...I mean...Are you not happy and proud to be native or what...?...
Old 01-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #16
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
What's getting me is how no one is addressing the fact that the word "niggers" was used at all. So anyone who raps is a nigger? A F---ing one at that? My how far we've come. Now I'm sure the next response will be, "this is my opinion" and you are granted that. So I'll refuse to be offended by an opinion so blantantly racist.
The point is, hip hop/ rap is just another form of expression. There are Indian country, reggae, and rock singers out there. Are they rednecks, wannabe rastas and wannabe white folks then?

I mean, tell us how you really feel.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #17
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
I for one was not aware of the blantant use of the hate words or I would have addressed it! :Yell Same ones doing this seems to me are the ones that object to the term squaw and team mascots. Wrong is wrong no matter what culture it is in.

What I also would like to know is why...WHY do people so narrow mindedly think all african decendants do hip hop?
Another point..why is it nothing is said about natives listening to country and are not accused of wannabeing a Barf Brooks or Shania Twain? Or the countless natives that listen to rock/heavy metal?
Some people seems to me should start thinking outside the box. ;)

Last edited by Mato Winyan; 01-22-2004 at 09:39 AM..
Mato Winyan is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2004, 11:04 AM   #18
NDNBUNZ

Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
Jibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond reputeJibby™ has a reputation beyond repute
K first of all, there is absolutely NO NEED to be using the N word up in here, and as my girl said "f***in" at that. There are lyrics that some will find explicit and/or offensive lyrics. Everything from rock to rap to blues to aletrnative to musak (which I find highly offensive lmao).

Now there is hip hop that I don't even like to listen to. All about coppin' the ice, pullin the bytches, perpetratin madd violence, etc. BUT if it comes from someone who experienced it, the most famous artist being Fitty, what if that is just their way of expressing their experiences?

And the same applies to our people. Most people can attest to the fact that being "Rezzed Out" is synonomous with being "Ghetto". What is OUR style of clothing? I mean, who in their right minds is going to be walking around in a loin cloth and body paint? (for the sake of argument). Let them wear what they feel comfortable in!

In my opionion, Native rappers just feel like they relate more to black people and choose to use beats and bass to express themselves. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And for the people on here who don't have anything intelligent to say other than to utilize White manmade racial slurs - you are no better than what that word implies, ya heard?
Old 01-22-2004, 11:21 AM   #19
Champion Dancer

ron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond reputeron red eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Jibby

And for the people on here who don't have anything intelligent to say other than to utilize White manmade racial slurs - you are no better than what that word implies, ya heard?
:clap: :clap: Very well said!!!!

~Though I wear a shirt and tie
I'm still part red man deep inside!~
<Paul Revere and the Raiders>

A very wise old Chief (Archie Mosay) once said to listen carefully when a White man tells you specifically that he won't do this or that, because more often than not he is telling you EXACTLY what he IS about to do.
ron red eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-22-2004, 01:52 PM   #20
Pow Wow Visitor

pensmoke is on a distinguished road
Talking ?

:)

Last edited by pensmoke; 05-31-2005 at 03:55 PM..
pensmoke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links