Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Natives dating/marrying non-natives
Yes, it's exceptable 91 61.49%
NO, definatatly not! 32 21.62%
Undecided or no comment 25 16.89%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Natives dating/marrying non-natives Natives dating/marrying non-natives

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 12:38 PM   #181
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
leesi is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
damn double posting.
Old 09-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #182
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
I am not aware of any, but my ongoing argument against quantum carrying ANY meaning has just been made.

Unless the folks addressed are fullbloods, and they only wed fullbloods, the non-replenishing resource of blood goes away.

It's about the culture.
you have yet to explain how diluting a culture/race with people who are not of that culture/race preserves that culture
Old 09-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #183
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
I retract. Why? As Zeke says, " Do the math."

1st gen. - 1 non-blooded enrolled spouse.

2nd gen - 1 half blood child marries non-Indian. Spouse becomes enrolled. Newly enrolled spouse divorces. Still enrolled. Newly enrolled divorcee marries non-native. Newly married hubbie & wife are non-blood tribal members. Have child who they enroll.

3d gen - That was fast. Possibly 25 years for this to happen.

4th gen. - Where's the Indians gone?

And they even smoked the pipe.

After 25 years and still making/selling dreamcatchers. Authentically made by enrolled tribal members.

I did the math.
it goes the other way too...if someone whos half marries another person whos half,the child will be half...if someones whos half marries someone whos full, the child is 3/4's...so zekes ongoing diatribe about blood is moot because it can go up as well as down...of course this not mentioned by zeke because it doesnt meet his agenda ..
and [email protected]
Old 09-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #184
Pow Wow Visitor

leesi is just really nice
Quote:
if someones whos half marries someone whos full, the child is 3/4's
....yeah, unless people get hung up on the fact that a full blood wants to marry someone who's 'only' half..

or..1/8 or..1/200..or...

Last edited by leesi; 09-07-2007 at 12:58 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 12:55 PM   #185
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
It's about the culture.

Yes, culture is important. But............. what if the scenario that I described. Non-native gets enrolled, divorced, marries another non-native, enrolls him/her but........... he/she stays married the first time long enough to learn some native culture. Will that make them native along with their enrollment cards? Will they be legally eligible to sell native-made crafts according to that U.S. law that governs native authenticity? They now know a little bit of culture.

For those of you who are worried about it, will they both (along with their non-blood children) get percaps? They teach their children about making dreamcatchers. Passing on the culture.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:17 PM   #186
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Complicated issue

You are getting a lot of response to this thread because it is a complicated issue and people have strong and mixed feelings about it. Because of the US government policy to “breed us out of existence” and to divide us over blood quantum issues, NDN people have found several different ways over time to resist, to survive and to preserve our cultures. During “the push” many eastern NDNs intermarried to survive and to stay in their homelands. It was often thought that “my children will be able to survive if they can pass for white.” And this was very true at one time and continues to be true for many. Now many NDN people resist by refusing to marry non-NDNs. All of this is very understandable given what we have endured and continue to endure and resist. But when it comes down to it, we don’t really decide who to fall in love with. Love happens and we are fortunate when we can find and fall in love with a mate that is also NDN.
I agree with Zeke that who we are as NDN people is all about our culture(s). Teaching passes on our language / cultural values, not blood quantum. And the government can never breed our cultures out of existence if we continue to teach our children about our NDN cultures /languages.
Blessings…
Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #187
Banned

othellobloke is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii View Post
Yes, culture is important. But............. what if the scenario that I described. Non-native gets enrolled, divorced, marries another non-native, enrolls him/her but........... he/she stays married the first time long enough to learn some native culture. Will that make them native along with their enrollment cards? Will they be legally eligible to sell native-made crafts according to that U.S. law that governs native authenticity? They now know a little bit of culture.

For those of you who are worried about it, will they both (along with their non-blood children) get percaps? They teach their children about making dreamcatchers. Passing on the culture.
That situation has happened many times in Canada. In a city called Fort Frances right on the border with Minnesota, there's a white family... caucasian, as in their ancestors are from the Caucus mountains kinda white. White white white 100% white.. and they're enrolled Band members because the woman married a native, then divorced but kept her tribal membership and is now passing it down to her caucasian children.

There's a reserve called Couchiching in Fort Frances where if you got lost, you'd never know you were on a rez because 90% of the Band Members are extremely diluted breeds.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #188
Banned

othellobloke is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthunders mama View Post
You are getting a lot of response to this thread because it is a complicated issue and people have strong and mixed feelings about it. Because of the US government policy to “breed us out of existence” and to divide us over blood quantum issues, NDN people have found several different ways over time to resist, to survive and to preserve our cultures. During “the push” many eastern NDNs intermarried to survive and to stay in their homelands. It was often thought that “my children will be able to survive if they can pass for white.” And this was very true at one time and continues to be true for many. Now many NDN people resist by refusing to marry non-NDNs. All of this is very understandable given what we have endured and continue to endure and resist. But when it comes down to it, we don’t really decide who to fall in love with. Love happens and we are fortunate when we can find and fall in love with a mate that is also NDN.
I agree with Zeke that who we are as NDN people is all about our culture(s). Teaching passes on our language / cultural values, not blood quantum. And the government can never breed our cultures out of existence if we continue to teach our children about our NDN cultures /languages.
Blessings…
The government can't breed out a culture... but they can breed out genetics, dna, and a race which is more important.

The thing that makes it important is that if there's no genetic difference between natives and non-natives... all you have is a bunch of white folk running around with faux-bone chokers, with chicken feathers in their hair. That's wrong.

Whoever created humans intended for genetic diversity. I love the racial differences between natives and white people, between asian and black people.

The only people pushing for 'let's forget about dna and concentrate on culture' are breeds who's blood quantum is so diluted they don't even know how much native blood they got and have been rejected so many times, they're on a mission to be accepted.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:12 PM   #189
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Savings: 1.00
I guess that I had no idea that just marrying an Indian would get you enrolled in that tribe, and that after a divorce that person keeps thier enrollment, and can pass that on to the next person they marry!!!!!! that is crazy talk!!!!!
on my rez, if you are white and marry a tribal member, you get nothing but that man/women.
If the tribal member buys some land and a home, it does not belong to you even if it was purchased after marriage. what some have done is to make sure that it is in the will that property goes to the kids, that way the white one can stay on tribal land, because she/he is living with the kids. if you have no kids, and the tribal member dies, your *** is moving!!!!!
I am down with the way my tibe handles that!
as for my views on mixing it up to marry, that is my opinion, and not my place to tell anyone else who or how to love.
awwww, poor ole bloke all red beaded up.

would any of you people tell your child that they could not marry outside of the Nation?
Old 09-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #190
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
i told my kids that they can date anyone they wish but if they want to have kids thats different.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #191
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
genetic diversity is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellobloke View Post
The government can't breed out a culture... but they can breed out genetics, dna, and a race which is more important.

The thing that makes it important is that if there's no genetic difference between natives and non-natives... all you have is a bunch of white folk running around with faux-bone chokers, with chicken feathers in their hair. That's wrong.

Whoever created humans intended for genetic diversity. I love the racial differences between natives and white people, between asian and black people.

The only people pushing for 'let's forget about dna and concentrate on culture' are breeds who's blood quantum is so diluted they don't even know how much native blood they got and have been rejected so many times, they're on a mission to be accepted.
You do have a point and I see that we each have a mission of some sort or another. I agree that Creator intended for genetic diversity and would also like to point out that Creator also made it possible for all races to interbreed since we are all one species. Did Creator make a mistake? I don't think so...
Old 09-07-2007, 05:46 PM   #192
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesi View Post
....yeah, unless people get hung up on the fact that a full blood wants to marry someone who's 'only' half..

or..1/8 or..1/200..or...
That's pretty much the problem, isn't it?

Defining ourselves via non-renewable resource is the ticket to extinction.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #193
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowthunders mama View Post

That's the bottom line!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:51 PM   #194
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by othellobloke View Post
The only people pushing for 'let's forget about dna and concentrate on culture' are breeds who's blood quantum is so diluted they don't even know how much native blood they got...
You cannot possibly be this foolish.

Perhaps this is because you advocate in-breeding?

Do you, also, have a fetish about "precious, bodily, fluids?"
Old 09-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #195
YOU KNOW YOU LOVE THIS...

Items Treasure ChestElephantElephantTreasure Chest
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Migiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond reputeMigiziwomen has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,828.87
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Brown Eyed Gurl* View Post
i told my kids that they can date anyone they wish but if they want to have kids thats different.
lol, well you go BEG!!!!
I hear you, I would prefer that Oyate date within our circle, but you know what I have the most beautiful grandchild and he is a black indian. life is life and love is love.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:38 AM   #196
Junior Dancer

handgame_native is a name known to all
Most traditional Natives I know aren't worrying about dna. They are working at language retention and maintaining Native thinking. Do you think your ancestors were calculating their future in-laws blood quantum?
Old 09-08-2007, 03:38 AM   #197
Granny:)

Items ElephantPresentRainbow
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute*Brown Eyed Gurl* has a reputation beyond repute
Location: 20 mins into Canada from the Sumas WA Border. Im practically an American
Credits: 16,430.57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Migiziwomen View Post
lol, well you go BEG!!!!
I hear you, I would prefer that Oyate date within our circle, but you know what I have the most beautiful grandchild and he is a black indian. life is life and love is love.
I have halfbreed kids. I cant change that....i wasnt responsible when i was a teenager...but anyhoo...i have halfbreed cusins..some are half white and some are half black....when my grandmothers were alive...no one dated nonnatives...they were racist old women til the day they died. No point really just dint want u to think i meant i believed that for other ppl.

*Kalilsha*

If the sun refused to shine, I would still be loving u
When mountains crumble to the sea, there will still be u an me..

Old 09-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #198
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgame_native View Post
Do you think your ancestors were calculating their future in-laws blood quantum?
Excellent point.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:15 AM   #199
Banned

indian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by handgame_native View Post
Most traditional Natives I know aren't worrying about dna. They are working at language retention and maintaining Native thinking. Do you think your ancestors were calculating their future in-laws blood quantum?
Is here any thread that helps interested people to learn one of your languages?
Or a thread using that vocabulary à la LL->FL, change one letter,...Maybe I just didn't find it. Is your language kept a secret?

Here are lots and lots of threads about percentages and blood quanta.

I would love to think that many of powwows.com members are more interested in their culture/language(s) than in their individual %age...
Old 09-09-2007, 01:03 AM   #200
Banned

indian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud ofindian-heart-beat has much to be proud of
*grin* I just found such a thread:

http://www.powwows.com/gathering/gam...rds-ll-fl.html

It's a start, enit?
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread