Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Natives dating/marrying non-natives
Yes, it's exceptable 91 61.49%
NO, definatatly not! 32 21.62%
Undecided or no comment 25 16.89%
Voters: 148. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Natives dating/marrying non-natives Natives dating/marrying non-natives

Closed Thread LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2007, 04:44 PM   #81
Quality Taco Inspector

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
Rolfe and Pocahontas have roughly 20-30000 descendants and there actually is a society of the descendants for these 2 people. There are also many more descendants of pocahontas' siblings of which my ex was also. Most reside in Virginia but of course im sure by now many reside elsewhere.

Everyone is mixed race by now or practically everyone. Only 10 % of the indian population in 1900 was fullblood I doubt the indian population now has any significant fullbloods by now.

In the last 7 generations you had 254 ancestors. I doubt anyone knows all 254 and can prove that none of them were white, that also goes to whites i doubt most can prove none of their ancestors were another race. If you go back to 14 generations you have 32766 ancestors which is probably the last 300 years. In the last 300 years can you tell me all 32766 ancestors are indian?

The big problem is what is more important to us. Superindngyrl was speaking about day to day culture. Its far easier to have another indian as partner and pass your culture and language down to the next generation than it is to have someone of another race.

However all is pointless if those people that are only indian by blood quantum are only passing down ghetto culture and are just wannabee blacks.
Our reservations are no longer the centers of indian culture but just another ghetto where our youth identify with a cultureless people than they do with their own. Gang banging members of your own nations. How sick and twisted. Our ancestors would not even accept half the rez as tribal members nowadays.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:18 PM   #82
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_jingle View Post
well i personally think besides being a good tpoic but ndn's should marry ndn's... but the oriniginal person who started this thread should recognize that just because the person isnt a card holder doesnt mean that they arent ndn...I also believe that a person should marry for love not because of race. You want to make sure youre happy and with the right person and not shoved into something you would be miserable in. I see in cali tons of non-natives marrying ndn's and many of them respect their spouse and family so its going about the right way. Thern again the problem is the blood quantem will go down so its a 50/50 deal with me. my boyfriend is 1/4 Navajo and me im 1/4 Osage& Blackfoot. we are both raised ndn and both grew up in the powwow circuit but when we have kids in all the BQ will reamin a 1/4 but at that point the only thing to do is encourage not shove any kids into marrying fullbloods.
I hear that! Too, we're not the only Indigenous folks left. My g-f is white, Swedish and French Canadian and her folks, the Swedish side of her Family have only been here for the past 50years or so. Her maw-maw speaks Swedish fluently and the Family celebrates Christmas in the original traditional manner with the candles and the, oh I forget what she is called, but the Female spirit of Christmas is remembered and celebrated.. Its pretty cool-its not about getting stuff-its more about Family time and good food and we exchange inexpensive presents.

She and I are just stupid in love and if you've ever been bit by that love bug, well, you'll know how it is. It's bigger than race and bigger than any of us can fully understand, IMHO.

Bottom line, respect each others traditions, know that there are some things that just are not meant to be shared cross-culturally, keep your own identity and know who you are and it'll work out!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #83
*~*~*

ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 371.64
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuj510 View Post
I hear that! Too, we're not the only Indigenous folks left. My g-f is white, Swedish and French Canadian and her folks, the Swedish side of her Family have only been here for the past 50years or so. Her maw-maw speaks Swedish fluently and the Family celebrates Christmas in the original traditional manner with the candles and the, oh I forget what she is called, but the Female spirit of Christmas is remembered and celebrated.. Its pretty cool-its not about getting stuff-its more about Family time and good food and we exchange inexpensive presents.

She and I are just stupid in love and if you've ever been bit by that love bug, well, you'll know how it is. It's bigger than race and bigger than any of us can fully understand, IMHO.

Bottom line, respect each others traditions, know that there are some things that just are not meant to be shared cross-culturally, keep your own identity and know who you are and it'll work out!
Are you talking about Lucia? My Mother's family is Swedish and my Grandfather has made sure we have kept some of the traditions. It's important for me to pass down what I know to my children and someday grandchildren but it's also important that we show them tolerance and respect for other traditions.

My Husband is mulatto, his family doesn't practice anything inparticular so we made a point of teaching our girls about Juneteenth, but I don't expect them to marry other "quadroons."
Old 07-09-2007, 10:41 AM   #84
Junior Dancer

outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
outershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond reputeoutershell has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,712.26
well I for one am the product af very differnt races and cultures.
it has its good points and bad points.... like anything else.

ideally you should choose your mate for what's on the inside. labels and categories shouldn't matter.
but i suppose there's more of a chance of you and your mate having something in common if you have some culture and history in common.

but thats just my opinion
Old 07-09-2007, 08:08 PM   #85
yargh!

Luzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond reputeLuzenza has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Eagle View Post
I didn't read all the posts - I think I have adult ADD but anyways...

I hope that my daughter will marry someone who treats her exceptionally good - if that person ends up being Aboriginal then great - that would be my preference. However I am open minded enough to accept a nice guy of any colour.
I have the same thoughts as well.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #86
Teen Dancer

tsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond reputetsuj510 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,027.94
that's the one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok24stacey View Post
Are you talking about Lucia? My Mother's family is Swedish and my Grandfather has made sure we have kept some of the traditions. It's important for me to pass down what I know to my children and someday grandchildren but it's also important that we show them tolerance and respect for other traditions.

My Husband is mulatto, his family doesn't practice anything inparticular so we made a point of teaching our girls about Juneteenth, but I don't expect them to marry other "quadroons."
Yes, that's it! Lucia-thank you!
Old 07-18-2007, 11:51 AM   #87
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,447.42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikki_mono View Post
My question out there is what is everyones oppinion on Natives dating/marrying non-natives?
Myself . . . I would never be caught dead with a non-indian. A half-breed maybe, but never a non-indian. Im an NDN loving woman.

My lil' sister was marrided to a white guy, but he wanted to be with someone who enjoyed his interests. Now shes dating a balck guy, he doesnt look like a struck match or a cup of coffee with to much creamer. At first I hated the idea she was dating out of the NDN Circle, but its her choice, and her life. I love my sister, and support her decisions.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM   #88
*~*~*

ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
ok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond reputeok24stacey has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud_Woman View Post
Myself . . . I would never be caught dead with a non-indian. A half-breed maybe, but never a non-indian. Im an NDN loving woman.

My lil' sister was marrided to a white guy, but he wanted to be with someone who enjoyed his interests. Now shes dating a balck guy, he doesnt look like a struck match or a cup of coffee with to much creamer. At first I hated the idea she was dating out of the NDN Circle, but its her choice, and her life. I love my sister, and support her decisions.
Oh really....
Old 07-18-2007, 12:04 PM   #89

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Yup. She said his skin color is like Denzel Washington.
Okay, whatever.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:10 PM   #90
*~*~*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud_Woman View Post
Yup. She said his skin color is like Denzel Washington.
Okay, whatever.
That helps me get a visual. cool. lol
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM   #91

Items Elephant
I guess . . .
I love my lil' sister, so more power to her.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:04 PM   #92
Golden Age Powwow Dancer

Traditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant futureTraditonal Lady has a brilliant future
Credits: 0.00
Thumbs up Good/Bad in Every Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by outershell View Post
well I for one am the product af very differnt races and cultures.
it has its good points and bad points.... like anything else.

ideally you should choose your mate for what's on the inside. labels and categories shouldn't matter.
but i suppose there's more of a chance of you and your mate having something in common if you have some culture and history in common.

but thats just my opinion
You are speaking my language! Too bad my mom and dad are not alive to voice their opinion. I am a product of a mixed marriage and learned to love people for what is in their heart.
Old 07-21-2007, 02:30 PM   #93
Northern Traditional

Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 410.00
Savings: 722.45
For blood or love?

When I was younger, my father taught me to only marry ndn. On top of that, I was only supposed to marry Lakota or Brule.

I met a girl who was Lakota/Odowa, probably just a touch over half, and worked on her for almost a year.. Then my father tried to "arrange" a marriage.

LOL... That went well Oo. I wasn't really into her after I got to know her, so I got alot less picky.

I've dated Ojibwie, Ponca, Odawa, Lakota, Cherokee, Miami, Lumbee, Blackfoot, and a few white girls here and there.... Here is my experience:

Ojib: Wow, talk about wow... I can't say this about all their women, but this one couldn't cook, couldn't even do her own laundry at 16, and omg... talk about bossy... I hope all the women aren't like that :D

Ponca: Probably one of the most laid back girls I've met. Good cook, very polite, very traditional, mixed up family, but hey, we all have our skeletons.

Odawa: Good woman, no complaints... For someone that wanted so much in a relationship tho, she sure didn't call much!

Lakota: Just find one that cooks good, throw everything else out the window.

Cherokee: If I gotta say one thing about most the cherokee women, they look great... Sometimes I wonder how they produce such ugly men, hahaha..

Miami: Very dependant.. Good women, but no goals.. (I've dated 4)... I seriously wonder if its in the bloodline.

Lumbee: I can't say the one I dated was the best looking, but overall, lumbee women are pretty good, very dependable, and trustworthy :)

Blackfoot: LOL... All I can say is wow... Some of the best looking women in the world, and they''ll eat your heart for breakfast if you don't do what you say you will :D I think I know a few women who could run much better military schools than we currently have :)

White Girls: I remember the first time I told a white girl I sang at powwows, she put her hand to her mouth and started the "ah-yah-yah-yah" stuff. I had to keep a Pottawatomie girl from bashing her head in. Next experience, "Didn't John Wayne kill all the indians?" Then again, the next one "You do dance with your clothes 'on' right?"

Marry for love or blood?

Even tho white girls might be dumber than a box of rocks, if you love her, marry her. Thats what counts.

Now, I'll give you my story :)

I met this girl about 2 years ago, her name is Danielle. I've been avoiding powwows, and working as much as possible, so I haven't been to anything in the past few years.

Danielle and I have talked about my heritage, and she mentioned she might have some blood in her from here or there, and that was basically it.

She likes it when I compose songs, or watch powwowTV, and she's usually there watching with me..

To be honest, I fell in love with her shortly after I met her. I didn't care about her blood, didn't care that she was the bossiest woman I'd ever met that couldn't cook... I didn't care that she shy'd away from my ndn friends because she thought we were all a buncha 'playas' :)

I stuck with her, and have continued to stick with her... Its time for me to work on a new regalia (I'm not the same person I was years ago).. As I was drawing up my pattern, she wanted to help, so she drew a few things up, and I kinda laughed... I didn't mean to make her feel bad, but I did a little bit. She decided that she just wanted to doodle some things out for herself, and I went back to my design.. A few moments later, I look up to see what she was doing, and she had actually designed the PERFECT boarder for 90% of my beadwork...

She thought I was joking when I asked for her help with my design after that... but she's done a fantastic job, and we've got the design down, just need to finish the rest of it.

Normally, I wouldn't tell you this story... I didn't care about her bloodline, a white girl, ndn girl, asian girl, all the same to me when it comes to love...

After just tracing back 2 generations, she has a much higher blood quantum than I do. (We haven't gone back as far as we need to, but it may actually turn out that she is close to 3/4 blood)...

Blackfoot and Cherokee... A great looking bossy woman, who'll rip your heart out and eat it if you don't do what you say your gonna do!

I'll let you guys know what we find out after we talk to her living grandparents, but yeah... She's a heck of a woman, blood or not, I love her, and I'll marry her....

Eventually....

MSN: [email protected]
Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM   #94
THE Lakota Wiyan

Lakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond reputeLakota Wiyan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gache View Post
Rolfe and Pocahontas have roughly 20-30000 descendants and there actually is a society of the descendants for these 2 people. There are also many more descendants of pocahontas' siblings of which my ex was also. Most reside in Virginia but of course im sure by now many reside elsewhere.

Everyone is mixed race by now or practically everyone. Only 10 % of the indian population in 1900 was fullblood I doubt the indian population now has any significant fullbloods by now.

In the last 7 generations you had 254 ancestors. I doubt anyone knows all 254 and can prove that none of them were white, that also goes to whites i doubt most can prove none of their ancestors were another race. If you go back to 14 generations you have 32766 ancestors which is probably the last 300 years. In the last 300 years can you tell me all 32766 ancestors are indian?

The big problem is what is more important to us. Superindngyrl was speaking about day to day culture. Its far easier to have another indian as partner and pass your culture and language down to the next generation than it is to have someone of another race.

However all is pointless if those people that are only indian by blood quantum are only passing down ghetto culture and are just wannabee blacks.
Our reservations are no longer the centers of indian culture but just another ghetto where our youth identify with a cultureless people than they do with their own. Gang banging members of your own nations. How sick and twisted. Our ancestors would not even accept half the rez as tribal members nowadays.

Going back 300 years??? I can GUARANTEE you that all my ancestors were Native. I have been able to trace my family's roots on both sides, maternal and paternal, and the only difference in blood lines is the different tribes represented. Don't assume just cause YOU cant, that alot of us out here can't. You can't judge any tribe by any standards unless you have researched, personally, every single blood line. That is why I only speak for me and my own families.

NOW....do I really need to point out how degrading and insulting your comments about those of us who are "indian by blood quantum only" are passing down a Ghetto culture?? You are obviously are very angry and defensive person about your own identity to try and tear down people like that. You should come and live with my family on our reservation for a couple months and see how many of our traditions, our language and our spirituality we have kept close and pass on to our children.

Last but not least: How ELSE can you be a Native American EXCEPT by blood quantum????? Are you one of those bleeding hearts who claim that IT"S ONLY WHAT IS IN YOUR HEART THAT MATTERS, AND YOU ARE SOOOO NATIVE IN YOUR HEART???? Well, I'm Oglala Lakota and Assinaboine/Sioux, because that is the BLOOD that was passed down to me by some VERY full blooded People. Now go bead something, put a pidgeon feather in your hair and call it good......
Old 07-25-2007, 01:14 AM   #95
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
I'm in the marry NDN camp on this subject. When I was young I thought it didn't matter. But I came to realize that it was alot harder to make a relationship work if you didn't share the same values & ideas. I also came to realize that we may just breed ourselves out & decided to stick to dating other NDN's. I'm half Lakota & my husband is half Mohawk. So our kids are still half NDN. We both believe in marrying NDN. We also believe that marrying NDN means our kids are more likely to do the same. In all likelyhood our decendants (unfortunatly) won't be Lakota because we live in S.E. Ontario, so not alot of Lakota's out here, but hopefully they will at least be NDN. Now my oldest daughter comes from a non-NDN relationship & it's an issue for her because her Dad doesn't respect our culture & she wishes she was half like her siblings. This comes from her & not from our community. I know this because the community see's her a special, when she became a Woman they gave her a name that translates to 4 directions Woman because she is 1/4 red, yellow, black & white and seen as special for this, but she wishes she was half like her siblings & is determined to marry NDN

On a lighter note there is a 49er song out here from a small drum group. It's called "my NDN Man" the english half goes like this

"Let them keep their pretty boys, my FBI's better then their toys. He keeps me fed & warm, weathering any storm. Silly girls get a clue, an FBI's the only kind for you..."

Cracks me up & gets me dancing every time.

Suzze
Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #96
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
Now, I can't speak for all you girls representing other tribes........
But, all our Lumbee men out there need to step up their game and come correct so we women won't have to marry white men!!!!!!!!!
I'm tired of searching for a good Indian man.
gurrrrrrrrl u aint gonna have any better luck with the white boys....its not Indian men...just men in general...

Personally, I dont discriminate (how can I I'm of mixed blood so which side would I pick?). I've been used and fkd over by black, white, mexican, Navajo, Cherokee, and a black/mex mix....now, moving right along....there are some good men of all races....just few and far between seems like.

Has anyone else noticed this growing trend in men trying to sit on their azz and get women to take care of them?

PS: if one more guy comes at me with another lame line like "Aay girl where yo man at?" I'm gonna puke.
Sorry....off topic....I understand both sides of the argument, but I love who I love cause I do what I want lol....
had to put in my 2 cents...

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
Old 07-25-2007, 06:55 PM   #97
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift horse running View Post
Marry for love if it's to last.....Did not the Creator make us all?

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
Old 07-25-2007, 10:16 PM   #98
Angie

alofton1 is just really nice
Ok. I'm going to get a little deep on you here so don't laugh. I am 1/8 Chippewa so I was raised white. To answer honestly, I think that I have always been looking for something in my life... I've dated, white guys but moreso other races, such as mexicans or asian or whatever and my husband is Black . I've noticed throughout the years that I was drawn to people that were tightnit, that had a community (like mexicans). I had always been interested in to my native heritage but I didn't pursue it until my Indian card last year, you see I previous felt that I didn't deserve to call myself native american because I wasn't enough blood quantum. Well I took a Native Lit class this year and my teacher was a anishinabae as well, the whole class was been based around our tribe! Thats when I started reading... and reading and reading. The first thing that compelled my to read is spirituality. I never believed what other people around me believed. When I began researching the beliefs of the great lakes tribes, I felt at home... Period. My blood memory kicked in. I've recently changed my tune I now feel as though I shouldn't be ashamed to be 1/8 because if the [email protected]$! white people wouldn't have separated our people (and every horrible thing that they did) maybe I would be more and maybe I would know my heritage.

My point is that race has always been an issue with me purely because its hard although I never ever thought that we shouldn't marry out of our race but... Since I've been participating in native activities, I began to think that if I was full blood or even more of a blood quantum. I would want to protect it.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:18 AM   #99
Junior Dancer

handgame_native is a name known to all
True, it might be easier to marry someone who understood your ways amongst your people (who to really understand, would probably have to be from your tribe ~ since we all come from diff. ways).

I say we shouldn't be so concerned about who we marry, but more concerned about what we do after marriage. If your going to live with your people, bring that person in and have them contribute and be part of your community. You would strengthen your ways by doing so.

Plus, it sounds like many have bought into the governments blood quantum brainwashing. (Just to me), what makes you Native is your language, belief system/values, how you treat people and how you think. Historically, what did Native people do when they brought someone into their tribe, regardless of what background or ancestry they came from? They acculturated them....right?

If we don't quit fixating on this whole blood quantum mess, then one day the gov. is going to come at us with the argument that we arent' racially the same people any longer (because of the end result of the blood quantum 'system'. ~The example of this being, here in Oklahoma where you come across folks with ancestry who received allotments from many diff. tribes, because of the intermarrying making their descendants ineligible to registery with any of of their tribes because of the blood quantum requirements.) To prevent such an occurence, we should stay focused on keeping our ways (language, etc.) and we can make a case that we are still the same people regardless of their blood quantum system.

So, in the end, I say marry who you want...just do your darndest to bring them into the fold....aye...
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 AM   #100
Angie

alofton1 is just really nice
Easier is the key... Unfortunately, it's extremely hard to mix cultures. Although, my husband is extremely supportive in my quest to integrate, the relationship was hard to begin with because of the difference in upbringing I now threw another level in the mix. If you want it bad enough it will work, I wouldn't change my husband for the world. It says a lot that he participates in these new ways with me.

The blood quantum is something that I fixated on initially although, it's now hard to integrate into the ndn community anyway. I guess you are right though, if I didn't have the perception of blood quantum to begin with, I would have tried to integrate a long time ago. I probably lost a lot of time because of it.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread