Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Natives on the Web. Natives on the Web.

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2010, 05:25 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
intheattic853 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Natives on the Web.

Hey everyone. I'm a 22 year old Hopi college student looking for places on the web where other natives come together to communicate and share information with each other.

I really appreciate your site and all it has to offer in the forums,

I was hoping I could provoke some discussion about how you feel native americans are represented online?

Or how long you've been involved with the online Native community and what caused you to seek it out?

Also, if there are any other notable locations on the web you visit for Native communication.

I am working on a research project about Native identity online, and would really appreciate any opinions you all would be willing to share about our presence on the web.

Thanks.
intheattic853 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010, 07:28 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

I think this could be interesting for Natives to explore and discuss. For instance, I've had trouble finding a lot of sites with forums and indianz.com, one of the few others I've found, has disabled registration for I don't know why.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Hi there! Welcome to powwows.com.

You might have seen some native online forums where things get carried away. Things get crazy here, more often than not, but we try to stay well-moderated.

As for Natives on the Web, if you look for the comments on some newspaper websites, you'll see LOTS of racist comments on any Native related article.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,552.42
Savings: 1.00
some guys i met at my last job, they would stop in a couple times a week and jam on the drum. one of them told me about this site, at first i was like pfffft whatever. i didn't surf the net that much back then, except for finding new music, mostly underground hip hop i would not have heard of otherwise. but one slow day at work, he showed me the site and helped me register. i did have a couple native hip hop sites that i would check out regularily back in 2001-2005. other than that its just been powwowsdotcom....dont know of any other native sites....hope that helps+
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-04-2010, 11:25 PM   #5
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Hi Attic:

Try these links: Aboriginal Canada

Inuit

Congress of Aboriginal Peoples

Native Women

Oh and if you want a cross section of just how the good ol'boys up here view First Nations, go read the comments on any article on FN issues and you'll see some Canadians at their worse... www.cbc.ca and http://www.canadaka.net/

Alberta

Council of Yukon First Nations

More Yukon FN

Tons of links found within the sites... good luck
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects. — Robert A. Heinlein

I can see the wheel turning but the Hamster appears to be dead.

Last edited by yaahl; 12-04-2010 at 11:29 PM..
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 02:32 AM   #6
Pow Wow Visitor

Thank you all for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo_rose View Post
Hi there! Welcome to powwows.com.

You might have seen some native online forums where things get carried away. Things get crazy here, more often than not, but we try to stay well-moderated.

As for Natives on the Web, if you look for the comments on some newspaper websites, you'll see LOTS of racist comments on any Native related article.
What gets "carried away"? Are you referring to the racist comments on Native related newspaper articles like yaahl linked? Such a thing happens on websites specifically for Natives?

What are some examples?

And would you guys say this racist slant in the reaction to Native issues is what you made you want to find a place where the issues were discussed more fairly?

If not, why did you guys join? Friends/info/discussion or more?

Are most users here generally on the res or off?

Thanks again.

Last edited by intheattic853; 12-07-2010 at 02:34 AM..
Old 12-07-2010, 02:35 AM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
some guys i met at my last job, they would stop in a couple times a week and jam on the drum. one of them told me about this site, at first i was like pfffft whatever. i didn't surf the net that much back then, except for finding new music, mostly underground hip hop i would not have heard of otherwise. but one slow day at work, he showed me the site and helped me register. i did have a couple native hip hop sites that i would check out regularily back in 2001-2005. other than that its just been powwowsdotcom....dont know of any other native sites....hope that helps+
Do you have any sites you currently visit for Native Hip Hop info? I came across a couple that weren't really updated, but I'm definitely interested in the movement. I was actually linked here by a Native Hip Hop page.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Items ElephantPresentDevil
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
GoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond reputeGoggenGH has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 6,557.50
Hey intheattic853!!!

You should check out this page: Cyndi's List - Native American
The page contains "tons" of links.

Beside this, I have been thinking to make a SUPER datebase with all kinds of links related to Native American. Would that be of interest?
I would be more than happy to help!!!

Happiness does not come from happiness itself, but from the journey towards achieving it.
You can never be happy at the expense of the happiness of others.

Last edited by GoggenGH; 12-07-2010 at 10:54 AM..
GoggenGH is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #9
Sg̱aaga g̱uu hla.

yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
yaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond reputeyaahl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 42,587.55
Groggen: psst.. it's been done... here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here and so on and so on.

Besides, do you honestly think that you are experienced enough in all things First Nation to be able to tell the wannabes from the legit sites? I know sometimes I can't tell at first glance. What about the sites that are perhaps legit from the owner's point but are populated by wannabes and nuagers and FN stay away from it?

Intheattic: have a look at the thread that has manypaws in the starring role. Ask yourself, is it racist to presume that FN folks are frozen in time or that they question that we aren't as Hollywood portrays us? What about those who presume that any and every story, art form, song is theirs to take? And what of those who presume they can speak for us when the invitation to do so was never offered?

One small niggle that I have is when folks presume that all First Nations have a reservation set aside for them. Some of us, never had reserve land set aside as we didn't sign treaties. My own people don't have a rez, we have a village and community. We also settled our self government agreement in 1990s. Eleven of the fourteen FN in the Yukon have now settled and are no longer governed under the Indian Act. The Inuit don't have reservations either. So perhaps your question should read more like: Are most users here still part of their community? If they aren't then it really doesn't matter where they live, does it?
yaahl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-12-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Pow Wow Visitor

Those resource sites are great.

Something I found surprising when searching the web is there aren't a lot of forums or chat rooms on tribal matters. Does anyone know about that?
Old 12-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by intheattic853 View Post
...indianz.com, one of the few others I've found, has disabled registration for I don't know why.
Nor do I.

I've always wondered...
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #12
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
indianz.com is not a site for the thin-skinned, that's for sure. Wall to wall flames over there...
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-14-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
indianz.com is not a site for the thin-skinned, that's for sure. Wall to wall flames over there...
Oh, I think I could hold my own.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
Pow Wow Visitor

I think so too. At the very least, it would be an interesting group to participate in, just reading those threads.

Anywho, if any others of you would be interested in helping me with my research, I would really appreciate it if you could take the time to answer the following questions. Feel free to add or expand or critique the questions if you so wish.

1. What is your tribe?
2. What is your age and gender?
3. What inspired you to join these forums?
4. How often do you visit these forums?
5. Do you visit any other Native American online forums or chat rooms?
6. What keeps you coming to the forums?
7. Have you made friendships and connections from the forums you wouldn’t have previously?
8. Do you consider yourself politically active?
9. If you were raised on the reservation, would you say most individuals were more, less or equal in terms of political activity or caring about tribal issues?
10. How long have you been connected to the internet? What do you know about your general tribe’s connectedness?
11. Would you say there is a strong anti-white sentiment on Native forums?
12. Was art, music and health an inspiration in joining?
13. How do you feel about the communication on the forums?
14. How do you feel about the role of Natives on the Web? Have you noticed a change in awareness?
15. Did the forms help change, alter or reinforce your perspective about Natives or Native issues in general?

Thanks again!

Have a nice day, everyone.
Sponsored Links