PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   Navajo 1/8th Blood Quantum?? (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/navajo-1-8th-blood-quantum-19041/)

navajowmn 04-22-2004 04:57 PM

Navajo 1/8th Blood Quantum??
 
I just read about the proposal to decrease the blood quantum requirement from 1/4th to 1/8th. I think this is pretty interesting... of course all motivated by monetary means.

What do you think of this change?

I think it would be a great change. I have many family members who are 1/8th now. It's not like we get any money from the tribe anyway *L*

Oh! If anyone wants to read about it.. it's in the Navajo Times at http://www.thenavajotimes.com/20042204/News/blood.html

kamikaze_yazzie 04-22-2004 05:22 PM

Im not sure how i feel about this.. yea the whole thing is to get for fed money but then IF this happens... no telling how soon itll be lowerd to 1/16th??

all i can say is hopefully there will be a tribal vote on it.. instead of just the legislatures deciding.

navajowmn 04-22-2004 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kamikaze_yazzie
Im not sure how i feel about this.. yea the whole thing is to get for fed money but then IF this happens... no telling how soon itll be lowerd to 1/16th??

all i can say is hopefully there will be a tribal vote on it.. instead of just the legislatures deciding.

Yes there should be a tribal vote on this. I'm sure if this were to be voted on... we'd see more turnout.

Mr Bo Jangles 04-22-2004 05:45 PM

I'm against it!!! Leave it at 1/4th!! Keep the riff raff out!
 
.......guess that means we have to marry Navajos now ennit.

Can I interest any of you fine Navajo women in a night of "Tribal Preservation"?


aye!

Kakeeya 04-22-2004 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Rumaki On Rye
.......guess that means we have to marry Navajos now ennit.

Can I interest any of you fine Navajo women in a night of "Tribal Preservation"?


aye!

Mr Rumaki you're cracking me up today Thanks! :rofl2:

redsky 04-22-2004 10:27 PM

My wife did an internship on the N.Ute rez and said that it seemed that they were killing themselves off with there blood quantum requirement. I think she said that both parents had to be enrolled N.Utes and the child had to be more than half in order to be a N. Ute. This was so that a smaller portion of the tribe recieved their checks. They are killing off their own tribe just so they dont have to share. The federal government wants us to have strict requirements because they want to cut off any obligations they have with NDNs. Navajos do not recieve any money from their tribe except for scholarships for college. And even then you have to have a high gpa and a high act score.

I am glad they are reconsidering the blood quantum requirements. There are a ton of full blood indians with not enough blood from any tribe to be an enrolled member. I think blood quantums are a form of genocide anyway. The Hawaiian culture is very strong/alive and you'll have a hard time finding a full blood.

There is a ton more I could say but I need to go back to work. Laterz.

Azhe'ni 04-23-2004 09:22 AM

I don't believe in blood quantium either. It's not how much blood you have but what's in your heart.

navajowmn 04-23-2004 02:44 PM

Well, it looks like the Navajo President's going to leave it up to the people... which I think is great... let the people decide :)

http://www.azdailysun.com/non_sec/na...?storyID=85990

Dazzle_me_now 04-23-2004 04:32 PM

Wow fren... you've been doing your reading huh? :) :D

navajowmn 04-24-2004 02:20 PM

Navajo Nation Council says "NO"
 
Well, I guess it's not going to be up to the people after all. The Navajo Nation Council rejected the idea. I guess they don't think that the people should decide. I would be curious to see what the people would've voted on. :)

snowbird 04-24-2004 08:28 PM

um....Mr. Rumaki.....I think its messed up u said keep the riff raff out...like someone else said...many family members are 1/8...so don't call my family members riff raff!!!!.....now random ppl that have a lil ndn blood but aren't a part of their culture and dont live w/ their ppl( that's different).......its a reality in this day and age that ppl are mixed sometimes...sorry that how it is :)

WocusWoman 04-25-2004 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsky
My wife did an internship on the N.Ute rez and said that it seemed that they were killing themselves off with there blood quantum requirement. I think she said that both parents had to be enrolled N.Utes and the child had to be more than half in order to be a N. Ute. This was so that a smaller portion of the tribe recieved their checks. They are killing off their own tribe just so they dont have to share. The federal government wants us to have strict requirements because they want to cut off any obligations they have with NDNs. Navajos do not recieve any money from their tribe except for scholarships for college. And even then you have to have a high gpa and a high act score.

I am glad they are reconsidering the blood quantum requirements. There are a ton of full blood indians with not enough blood from any tribe to be an enrolled member. I think blood quantums are a form of genocide anyway. The Hawaiian culture is very strong/alive and you'll have a hard time finding a full blood.

There is a ton more I could say but I need to go back to work. Laterz.

Redsky, very well said! I have grandparents, all enrolled from different tribes. This is exactly what the government was aiming for. This issue also divides tribes and is the cause of alot of rift amoungst tribal members. Yes, I believe this issue should be looked at seriously by all tribes, and on the other hand I also believe there should be a limit on how little native blood "overall" a person should be.

navajowmn 04-26-2004 01:48 PM

It's kind of interesting to me. I once read that they were going to encourage Navajo's into moving home back onto the reservation as a majority now days have moved off to make a living. They are trying to encourage economic development for the people. Now they are complaining that they don't have enough funds to support the additional memberships... if they had cut the blood quantum to 1/8th. Yet over half of the Navajos enrolled are already living off the reservations. So how is it that they are having difficulties with funding of programs for those ON the reservation? I say it's lack of budgeting... and poor planning.

Most people living off the reservations are already self-sufficient... or get assistance from the state... since they are living off the reservation. Besides, if they did enroll those with 1/8th blood... I don't think we are going to see a flood of people moving back to the reservation *LOL* In all honesty.

I certainly don't see myself moving back to the reservation any time soon.

Blackbear 04-26-2004 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowbird
um....Mr. Rumaki.....I think its messed up u said keep the riff raff out...like someone else said...many family members are 1/8...so don't call my family members riff raff!!!!.....now random ppl that have a lil ndn blood but aren't a part of their culture and dont live w/ their ppl( that's different).......its a reality in this day and age that ppl are mixed sometimes...sorry that how it is :)


I think he was just joking LOL At least that's how i took it

snowbird 04-26-2004 09:13 PM

Blackbear :)
 
Oh...maybe he was kiddin...but then was he kidding about being against it too??? Its jus that sometimes others don't think about how it might feel 2 be mixed if their not. An I think that it relates to the topic...:)

Blackbear 04-26-2004 09:32 PM

yeah it is related to the topic..
... I can't even remember now exactly what he said since it's gone.so i can't comment on the being against it.. LOL..

snowbird 04-26-2004 10:48 PM

its cool...not that big of a deal. LOL :)

Mr Bo Jangles 04-27-2004 02:10 PM

Ya know something. Even I forgot where I stand on the issue!!

aye!


Naw, I dunno, to be REALLY honest. It's a double edged sword. In one instance, it could help us, in the other, it could cripple us and future generations in a big way.

I say if you do lower the blood quantum, you're having to dole out less to more people, and if you leave it as it is, you're shooting yourself in the foot, in that future generations of our tribe, the Navajos, which are under discussion here, not the Arapahoe's thank you very much, will more than likely be thinned out alot with few full bloods left, and you'll have only the few full bloods reaping the benefits of certain types of assistance, available only to full bloods. Then yer mixed bunch are left out with nothing or very little.

My stance is now to lower it to one eighth. It's safer in the long run, and our population stands to grow ALOT!!!! We're already at around 300,000 Navajos, why not make it 500,000? Or a cool million!! Our services and tribal budgetary allowances for programs and stuff will REALLY be thinned out then!!!!!!!!!

but, in the long run.......I think it's better for us. Who knows, maybe as a larger tribe, we can request for more monies.

Mr Bo Jangles 04-27-2004 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowbird
um....Mr. Rumaki.....I think its messed up u said keep the riff raff out...like someone else said...many family members are 1/8...so don't call my family members riff raff!!!!.....now random ppl that have a lil ndn blood but aren't a part of their culture and dont live w/ their ppl( that's different).......its a reality in this day and age that ppl are mixed sometimes...sorry that how it is :)

I didn't call your family members "riff raff"... you did!!

I merely stated that i'd like to keep out those that have claims that are totaly absurd!! ....like 1/264th or something absurd like that.

injunboy 04-27-2004 02:43 PM

the Navajo tribe already has some strict standards. if youre say 5/8 or 3/8 or whatever that much blood dont count towards your overall quantum... you end upbeing rounded to the lowest quarter which would make you 1/2 and 1/4. tribal census math is curious...

im in favor of the higher blood requirement. i read all your reasons and none are good enough to even consider


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
Copyright 2006, PowWows.com, LLC