Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Navajo Nation gives 8 hours administrative leave for election day Navajo Nation gives 8 hours administrative leave for election day

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
We'll See....
 
kiyaanii mom's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waiting for you all to go to Firerock!!!
Posts: 5,692
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Navajo Nation gives 8 hours administrative leave for election day

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: Thursday, October 28, 2004

NAVAJO NATION TO ALLOW EMPLOYEES DAY OFF FOR ELECTIONS

More people will be available to take their friends and family to the polls on Election Day. The Navajo Nation has authorized November 2, 2004, for administrative leave for all tribal employees.

Speaker of the Navajo Nation Council Lawrence T. Morgan, President Joe Shirley Jr., and acting Chief Justice Lorene B. Ferguson signed the proclamation to allow employees the day off so that they will be able to vote and get as many Navajo people to the polls as possible. The proclamation can be downloaded at: http://www.navajonationcouncil.org/N...oclamation.pdf

“It may be difficult for some people who have to drive long distances to vote in one election and then drive again to vote in the other,” Speaker Morgan noted describing the separate process for state and tribal elections. “Calling the entire day off will allow for a maximum amount of people to participate in this important democratic event.

“We know that this is a very important election. I encourage parents to involve their entire families in this process. Discuss the election and the important issues with your communities, and make informed decisions at the poll.

“In recent times, voter turnout has been increasingly lower. Teach your children and family the importance of voting by engaging in this important civic duty as a family and as a community.

“As I remind you that democracy is not only a single event, but a process, I encourage you to become more informed about the issues that affect your lives and the lives of the Navajo people.

“As we partake in the voting process, we must remember that the Navajo Nation is currently involved in the redistricting process that is going on in the state of Arizona. Our participation in this election will affect our representation for many years to come. We need to get out in full force and make sure that our voices are heard.

“The Navajo Nation, through the Intergovernmental Relations Committee, has advocated before the Arizona Redistricting Commission, for the rights of our people to be represented by individuals they believe would serve and protect the interests of the Navajo people. The Navajo people are an essential voting block, not only in the state of Arizona or the Four Corners area, but throughout the country. We are a large voting block that has the means to make a difference.

“The Navajo Nation is very serious about the Navajo people’s participation in the political systems in the state and federal election. As leaders of the Navajo Nation, the Branch Chiefs have unified to allow the nation’s employees the day off from work so that they can play a major role in ensuring that our registered voters are able to get to the polls and cast their ballots on Election Day.

“The Navajo Nation Council, too, has done its part in urging our Navajo people to vote. The Council aligned the Navajo elections with the nation-wide elections and extended the hours that the polls are open to 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Now it is your turn to do your part to get all your fellow registered Navajos to vote. Knock on the doors of your relatives and neighbors. Make sure they get to the polls.

“The Navajo Nation Transit System has also announced that it will be providing free shuttle services on Tuesday, November 2, Election Day, at centralized locations on the Navajo Nation. Information on the shuttle schedules will be announced and forwarded to local Chapter and organizations. For more information, please contact the Navajo Nation Transit System at (928) 729-4111/4456.”


###
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 06:10 PM   #2
Dineth Hearth Throth
 
BurBz's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,918
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
sheeeiitt!! a holiday or comp day for every freakin thing! LOL gawwwdd i guess LOL :Chatter
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 06:15 PM   #3
We'll See....
 
kiyaanii mom's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waiting for you all to go to Firerock!!!
Posts: 5,692
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
sheeeiitt!! a holiday or comp day for every freakin thing! LOL gawwwdd i guess LOL :Chatter

Almost everything.... They didn't give us jack for President Reagan's Funeral. ROFL
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 06:25 PM   #4
Dineth Hearth Throth
 
BurBz's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,918
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
lmao!

maybe i can say for my job down here..yeah ummm my tribe is giving all navajos a admin leave day to vote on election day no matter if you work on the rez or in the cities..and it counts for all navajos :Chatter.. you just have to show your employer the "proclamation" and CIB :Chatter

:rofl2: you think it will work?? LOL
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #5
We'll See....
 
kiyaanii mom's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waiting for you all to go to Firerock!!!
Posts: 5,692
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burberrilish
lmao!

maybe i can say for my job down here..yeah ummm my tribe is giving all navajos a admin leave day to vote on election day no matter if you work on the rez or in the cities..and it counts for all navajos :Chatter.. you just have to show your employer the "proclamation" and CIB :Chatter

:rofl2: you think it will work?? LOL

Try it and let me know. LOL
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 07:10 PM   #6
Standing Rock
 
xTekno's Avatar
 
Items PresentDevilElephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tsézhintah, AZ
Posts: 21,400
Blog Entries: 15
Credits: 92,422.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
DATE: Thursday, October 28, 2004

NAVAJO NATION TO ALLOW EMPLOYEES DAY OFF FOR ELECTIONS

More people will be available to take their friends and family to the polls on Election Day. The Navajo Nation has authorized November 2, 2004, for administrative leave for all tribal employees.

Speaker of the Navajo Nation Council Lawrence T. Morgan, President Joe Shirley Jr., and acting Chief Justice Lorene B. Ferguson signed the proclamation to allow employees the day off so that they will be able to vote and get as many Navajo people to the polls as possible. The proclamation can be downloaded at: http://www.navajonationcouncil.org/N...oclamation.pdf

“It may be difficult for some people who have to drive long distances to vote in one election and then drive again to vote in the other,” Speaker Morgan noted describing the separate process for state and tribal elections. “Calling the entire day off will allow for a maximum amount of people to participate in this important democratic event.

“We know that this is a very important election. I encourage parents to involve their entire families in this process. Discuss the election and the important issues with your communities, and make informed decisions at the poll.

“In recent times, voter turnout has been increasingly lower. Teach your children and family the importance of voting by engaging in this important civic duty as a family and as a community.

“As I remind you that democracy is not only a single event, but a process, I encourage you to become more informed about the issues that affect your lives and the lives of the Navajo people.

“As we partake in the voting process, we must remember that the Navajo Nation is currently involved in the redistricting process that is going on in the state of Arizona. Our participation in this election will affect our representation for many years to come. We need to get out in full force and make sure that our voices are heard.

“The Navajo Nation, through the Intergovernmental Relations Committee, has advocated before the Arizona Redistricting Commission, for the rights of our people to be represented by individuals they believe would serve and protect the interests of the Navajo people. The Navajo people are an essential voting block, not only in the state of Arizona or the Four Corners area, but throughout the country. We are a large voting block that has the means to make a difference.

“The Navajo Nation is very serious about the Navajo people’s participation in the political systems in the state and federal election. As leaders of the Navajo Nation, the Branch Chiefs have unified to allow the nation’s employees the day off from work so that they can play a major role in ensuring that our registered voters are able to get to the polls and cast their ballots on Election Day.

“The Navajo Nation Council, too, has done its part in urging our Navajo people to vote. The Council aligned the Navajo elections with the nation-wide elections and extended the hours that the polls are open to 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. Now it is your turn to do your part to get all your fellow registered Navajos to vote. Knock on the doors of your relatives and neighbors. Make sure they get to the polls.

“The Navajo Nation Transit System has also announced that it will be providing free shuttle services on Tuesday, November 2, Election Day, at centralized locations on the Navajo Nation. Information on the shuttle schedules will be announced and forwarded to local Chapter and organizations. For more information, please contact the Navajo Nation Transit System at (928) 729-4111/4456.”


###
To me, this is so wrong. You wonder why there is alway a budget issue. It's because of these types of time-off that add up to a whole lot in the end. No corporate entity would do this especially for politics.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-28-2004, 07:20 PM   #7
We'll See....
 
kiyaanii mom's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
kiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond reputekiyaanii mom has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Waiting for you all to go to Firerock!!!
Posts: 5,692
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ta'neeszahnii Techno
To me, this is so wrong. You wonder why there is alway a budget issue. It's because of these types of time-off that add up to a whole lot in the end. No corporate entity would do this especially for politics.
But we are not a corporate entity. We are a tribal government, with strong ties to politics.
kiyaanii mom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-29-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Standing Rock
 
xTekno's Avatar
 
Items PresentDevilElephant
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tsézhintah, AZ
Posts: 21,400
Blog Entries: 15
Credits: 92,422.18
Savings: 1.00
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
xTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond reputexTekno has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
But we are not a corporate entity. We are a tribal government, with strong ties to politics.
Yeah, I know. However, every which way you turn, the tribal government tries to model itself as a corporation with top-heavy management which sometimes doesn't work right in a tribal environment. It goes back to "too many chiefs and very few indians". I guess in any tribal government, an employee has to support the political choice of the head cheese or you stand to loss your job. I believe the tribe will be more cohesive if the the ties are more tied to traditional values rather than to an elephant or a donkey.
xTekno is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
Member since March 2000.
 
Mr Bo Jangles's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sunny, downtown, middle of no where...
Posts: 705
Credits: 60.00
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiyaanii mom
But we are not a corporate entity. We are a tribal government, with strong ties to politics.
Awwwww... he's just mad cause he didn't get eight hours like you and I did K-Mom.

aye!!!!!!!

JK T.T.

I do see his point though. THe tribe TRIES to model itself after a HUGE corporation, which blows chunks!

Every damn year, my division wastes a day on this "morale building day" piece of crap.

It's a total waste!!

What's worst is that they send the upper level folks to these seminars in like Vegas or Hawaii, knowing full well, the formats for these things are geared towards corporations that make money, or are in the business of making money.
The Navajo nation is NOT in the business of makin' money....heck, I think we'd be better off in a seminar that's given by folks like McDonalds!!!!

I mean, we're more in the business of providing services.

LMAO!!!!!!!


"You want fries wit dat?"

HAHHAHAHA!
__________________
"This next song goes out to some girls in dot com. They don't know who they are, but, it doesn't really matter anyway."




"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-04-2004, 11:59 AM   #10
Dineth Hearth Throth
 
BurBz's Avatar
 
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 13,918
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
danngg mr bo.... it was only suppose to be one day of administrative leave! NOT A WHOLE 3-4 DAYS!!! :o...typical tribal employees!!! :Chatter
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

    

Join the online community forum celebrating Native American Culture, Pow Wows, tribes, music, art, and history.

Join PowWows.com Today!

Your Guide to Native American Pow Wows Since 1996

Register For Free

Enjoy the benefits of being a member of PowWows.com!

Join our Native American online community focused on Pow Wow singing, dancing, crafts, Native American music, Native American videos, and more.

Add your Pow Wow to our Calendar

Share your photos and videos

Play games, enter contests, and much more!






New Threads

Pow Wow Calendar Search

 
Month: Year:

Location:
Facebook Profile Images

Videos

Featured Articles

Dance Styles

Crafts

Gallery