Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues New TNT Movie: Into The West New TNT Movie: Into The West

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #1
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Savings: 0.00
New TNT Movie: Into The West

Turner Network Television (TNT) in the US has big plans as far the western genre is concerned. It will produce in association with Dreamworks Television the series Into The West..

The show looks at how the white man adventurously started to explore the American wilderness. This resulted in a clash of two cultures . At that time there was a rush to riches in a new land and as a result a new civilisation was built.

The show goes on air later this year on TNT in the US. The cast includes Matthew Settle Band of Brothers and Skeet Ulrich As Good as It Gets. The series is currently shooting in Calgary and New Mexico.

The series follows two multi-generational families. One is a group of settlers and the other are Native Americans. Each tells the dramatic stories of the development of the West from their distinct points of view. Throughout the series, the two families will experience the historical and cultural events that led to an epic clash of culture, often coming in contact with notable figures and events from the era.

TNT senior VP original programming Michael Wright said, " This is the most ambitious original production TNT has ever undertaken. Producing something of this size and complexity would be impossible without the amazing talents and passionate hard work of those who are bringing it to life. We are fortunate to have some of the most talented people in the industry working on what we believe will be the television event of the year."
Old 03-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

Leslie Stonechild is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Audition

Sounds real exciting!

My Daughter and I auditioned for some parts in the this Movie. She was a young Margaret Full of Grace and me an Indian Scout.
We never got them obviously but I know someone who did cast in a bit part of the Movie, no lines, he made a couple grand for a couple days of wearing old style garb!
They filmed in the Calgary area last Summer and Fall!
The word is that it follows the Settlers who have a Metis kid and move their way to the West while this half-breed grows up.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Arrow Six part Mini-Series

It is my understanding that "Into The West" will be more than a movie, but a six-part, 12 hour mini-series to be aired sometime in June of this year on TNT.

This mini-series is being produced by Steven Spielberg who is known for his desire to make sure things are as authentic as possible when it comes to portraying historically based events.

The goal of the project apparently is to tell a story from a dual perspective. The mini-series will follow two multi-generational families, one from the perspective of settlers of European decent, and one from the perspective of members of the Lakota tribe, over a period of 90 years.

In Spielberg's desire for authenticity, a Lakota adviser by the name of Charlie White Buffalo was hired to teach the Lakota language to the actors playing Native American parts, such as Graham Greene and Wes Studi.

Other actors on the project are Sean Astin, Beau Bridges, Josh Brolin, and Keri Russell.

It's sounds like it might be worth watching.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-06-2005, 12:55 AM   #4
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,966.54
Hi
Here is a another part of the movie for you train watchers goto http://steamrailroading.com/ipw-web/...rticle&sid=213 for the Steam Loco for the movie too.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 AM   #5
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Hey thanks for posting this info - looking forward to it....

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 AM   #6
Teen Dancer

dancnbrd is on a distinguished road
Credits: 380.00
Saw a commercial promoting this on TV already...looking forward to it.
dancnbrd is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 01:36 AM   #7
WillaDaKilla

woggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to behold
My cousin got stuff last year from the casting guy to audition and she didn't want to..I am so mad at her..she said she wasn't ready..
But I wanna see it!!
eyelashes: eyelashes:
eyelashes
woggs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2005, 04:04 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

paulflores has a spectacular aura about
Exclamation tnt movie

ok i just found this after iwrote my thread,my roommate and i about feel over when they showed a small version of the sundance in this first half.i have come across a lot of sites here lately that have made this and a few other religous rites available to "joe oublic" my question is this..............why? why was this allowed? why did spieberg ask to put this in?who told him about it? who told him to put in there?i don't know what to feel right about this. maybe after i sleep on it i might have more feelings .please mkeep in mind this is only a question and these are mine and my opinions.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:16 PM   #9
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Red face

Hey, anyone now a days can put on a Sundance. Look how many "Natives" are going over to Europe and putting them on out there, for a price, to non Natives. Who has sold out whom...might be the question here.

As for the authenticity of the production....ouch!!!! It is not. I know who made all the tipis and was shocked to see how the production company had mutilated them for what they thought was correct. I have to remember that movies are for entertainment...not historical accuracy. This is something we all have to rember.

And the clothing for the mountain men and the Indians for the 1830's was way off and did not reflect what was made at that time. The women's clothing was realy off and for the tribal period.

The DID show the warfair amoung the tribes with the Sioux to the Crow and the slavery amoung the Indians when the girl is being raped and her baby taken because of a revenge thing among the two tribes. She is later sold at the Rendezvous. It only hints about her slavery with the Crow. Doesn't come out in the open and yells it out like you might want.

I watched it 3 times last night besides taping it.....you pick up facts for the movie seeing it that many times. And you can see it again tonight and tommarrow.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-11-2005, 10:09 PM   #10
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
I too, was very disappointed.

Old 06-11-2005, 10:51 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 83,810.55
I loved: the 6" long stitchs in the tipi covers, the bark covered poles; the drying meat on strings; the bare legs -- that'd been fun in brush... It looked like the production designers had ripped off a New Age gift shop for the sticks with skulls.

Why don't they think our ancestors made things carefully and well?

Then there was the whole new Age white man "becomes" an Indian thing...
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2005, 06:02 AM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
A long time ago.. there was this movie that I'm not remembering the name of where they showed a sundance for the first time. It was from like the 50's or 60's I think... was it.. a man called horse? I can't remember. I was a bit surprised that they did show this though. I would have thought the actors might say something about it. But they can't show that stuff if the actors say they won't do it. However, I think the point that they were trying to make showing it was the trials he went through on his way to becomming the medicine person.

OL.. sticks with skulls? Really?? How did I miss that? LOL! Yeah I did'nt care for the mysticism stuff that they were really pressing.... but overall the "story" was interesting. I actually really enjoyed it!
Old 06-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #13
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist
I loved: the 6" long stitchs in the tipi covers, Why don't they think our ancestors made things carefully and well?
Then there was the whole new Age white man "becomes" an Indian thing...
I don't recall 6" stitches, perhaps you are referring to the sharpened sticks used like pins to hold the hides in place? They ran vertical up the front. Also, don't you think you are projecting a bit with your second statement? I don't recall any reference to how our ancestors made things, well or shoddy. 1825, when the show starts, was a more primitive time than even thirty years later. Also, I didn't see any 'White man' becoming an NDN. I saw a man with a heart who rescued a woman who probably would've been treated like ****, who took her back to her people when he didn't have to.Do you find her family's adoption of him distasteful? If so, why? Hell, it's all a plot of a movie anyway...but I saw no harm in the production.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

tipis is a jewel in the rough
Red face

I personally love the story, but dislike all the "authenticity" to material culture that has gone with the hype on this series. Knowing many people who re-create this stuff being white or Indian, it was out there and the production company instead went to Rendezvous and bought their material. Some sleazy trader definitly saw them coming.

It takes lots of research to know the different time periods for clothing and habitat that this series is going to take. The back east material was very good...why couldn't the Native items be as good.

And I didn't see the 6" stitching either...but I did see the stick that look like lacing pins which go up the front used to go around the middle of the tipi about 6' or so up. I am very versed in hide/canvas tipis...never seen or heard of this in construction. May have been used to take the bottom off for camera crews to get inside the tipi for shooting. Think that a much better job was done in Dances With Wolves that this group.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-12-2005, 11:38 PM   #15
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
A long time ago.. there was this movie that I'm not remembering the name of where they showed a sundance for the first time. It was from like the 50's or 60's I think... was it.. a man called horse? I can't remember. I was a bit surprised that they did show this though....
The movie, "A Man Called Horse" did not show a Lakota Sundance. Instead, it showed the Mandan Okepa Ceremony documented in George Catlins paintings done in the 1830s. However, in the sequel, "Return of a Man Called Horse", they did have a scene showing a Lakota style Sundance.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:03 AM   #16
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist
...Then there was the whole new Age white man "becomes" an Indian thing...
What they were trying to portray was a Lakota ceremony called Hunka, or making of relatives by choice. The Hunka ceremony is an ancient Lakota ceremony that used to be called the Alo'wanpi ceremony, (Alo'wanpi meaning "to sing for someone") in which two persons adopt the Hunka relationship toward each other and thereby both assume a closer relationship than some blood relationships. The Hunka relationship could be brother to brother, father to son, etc. These Hunka ceremonies still take place today.

Old 06-13-2005, 12:05 AM   #17
Teen Dancer

Jammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond reputeJammer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 220.00
I have to say I was entertained. I wasn't setting down to watch this with wanting to see everything authentic nor correct and accurate. It's a movie, it didn't say it was a true story nor did they call it a documentry. So in that they have room to play around with what ever they want.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:31 AM   #18
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 83,810.55
I understand what they were trying to show. My family taught me about these things.

It wasn't the ceremony that bothered me. It was more the underlying tone. The easy identification with the Native ethos that denies the major intellectual currents of American culture at that time. The attitude of the young man was a historical.

This setup seems a bit like a lead in for one of those good white guy feels completed by Indian ways so ultimately he becomes more Indian than the Indians. The reverse captivity narrative that is so part of modern American mythology. A narrative which I think allows Americans to distance themselves from history, by thinking they'd have been the good guy and let the Indians keep their lands and their lifeways.

It seem to me there is an increasing movement, often cloaked in the guise of tell our side of the story, to make the whites villians in a way which allows the viewer with their modern sensiblities to deny kinship to the ethos that spawned Manifest Destiny. It is harder but more honest to paint the whites was people doing what they thought right, with horrible consequences.

Understand, I am not projecting all of this into Into the West. But I do see this trend in pop culture depictions of history. And I think I see elements of this type of narrative in Into the West.

That's my two cents worth. Obviously, an inflated two cents in many folks opinion, LOL.

I am sorry if my flippant tone ticked people off.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 01:52 AM   #19
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Actually, I thought it was entertaining, and sure beat the **** out of the usual rubbish found on TV these days.... There is always a 'slant' in ANY media..book, tv, movie, whatever...and historical accuracy isn't usually typically stressed...but I didn't see this as trying to 'defend' what happened in History....or make people 'feel good' about being 'above' such greed and evil nowdays. I'm not convinced modern people are any more benevolent than they were then...it's just not as blatant.
And it SURE shows progress over the typical Hollywood fare...where the NDNs are savages..to be killed at all costs...or are like new age hippies...(and are played by Ricardo Montalban, Burt Lancaster, Sal Mineo etc...or whites as NDNs...or worse, whites 'becoming' NDN...in the plot) and everybody is seen as one dimensional...without the full range of human emotions and behaviour. Will be interesting to see how this story line plays out....
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-13-2005, 03:15 AM   #20
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Don't think it is available up here. Will probably get it next year on Aboriginal People's Television Network. We will complain about the authenticity then. We are always behind here.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links