Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues New TNT Movie: Into The West New TNT Movie: Into The West

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 11:41 AM   #101
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
geronimo is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs up Aboriginal Peoples TV Network Forum

Check out this link. It raises a lot of good points on both sides.

http://www.aptn.ca/forums/index.php?...t=0&#entry3894
Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 AM   #102
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
If we had more NDN film-makers, perhaps they would have the cultural sensitivity to know how to tell a story without exposing sensitive cultural material such as sacred ceremonies.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 12:06 PM   #103
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian
Maybe...if there were more NDN film-makers, producers, directors, etc., we wouldn't have to rely on people like Spielburg to tell the stories.

Historian,

For some reason, it is really hard for American Indian people to break into "The Industry." This includes both in-front-of and behind-the-camera.

"Native people are not born into families who will guide their paths to "priviledged careers" in national politics, multi billion dollar CEO networks and A-list movie careers."

"America is NOT the land of equality. America is the land of who you know, and more importantly, who knows you!"

As we speak there are many Native individuals in both Southern California and the New York City areas, waiting for their lucky break to show their talents. For some reason there is little "A-list work" for American Indian film makers, producers or directors.

There is a better market for Aboriginal First Nations people in Canada, particularly in Vancouver and Toronto.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:36 PM   #104
Pow Wow Visitor

goodgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to categorically disagree. America IS the land of opportunity, and you are all Americans. I come from an immigrant family and my grandmother didn't speak much English even when she died. My mother lost her father at age 4, her mother mentally and emotionally too, had an abusive stepfather and later an abusive husband. She busted her hump enough to get through college (while working full-time and paying rent to aforementioned stepdad) and even though she has never held a "glamorous" job, she has had a pretty good life and actually had quite an influence. Her son's now a judge and her daughter has a pretty nice job too. :)

Of course it's partly who you know, but who you know is largely up to the choices you make. And being smart, or level-headed, or choosing to pursue a high degree of education isn't "white", and drinking your life away in poverty isn't "Indian"... I grew up hearing Cherokee called "white indians" when they moved away to go to a good school, and that's just silly.

Not trying to flame, but I'd been working up the nerve to post about this and ask why there are no Indian banks to do fee-complex home loans on reservations; why there are hardly any Indians in govt positions, why so few wealthy and influential Indians at all. To those who say "racism" I point out all the black-owned businesses and captains of industry. And they were slaves -- owned by Indians in some cases.

Native culture, much of it anyway, really provides a ot of answers to our modern problems... the ethic of taking care of one another, helping the children and elderly, some of the education systems, respect for the environment. I wish a handful of Indians would get in positions of power because I think the whole country could benefit. Not sure what kind of culture you expect to have left for your grandkids, if you don't respect them enough to do what it takes to change things.

Waiting for the to start now, but there's my piece.
goodgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #105
My Give-A-Damn's Busted!

**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute
**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
If we had more NDN film-makers, perhaps they would have the cultural sensitivity to know how to tell a story without exposing sensitive cultural material such as sacred ceremonies.

OK, now you've made a valid point. I can agree with you on that...however like WHOME said...it's hard to get into that business...especially when it's mostly about who you know!

once again to tell a story about my people is one thing....but to act out a ceremony is another and then to film it...just really really hits a nerve with me!
**First Lady** is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 01:06 PM   #106
My Give-A-Damn's Busted!

**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute
**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute**First Lady** has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgirl
I have to categorically disagree. America IS the land of opportunity, and you are all Americans. I come from an immigrant family and my grandmother didn't speak much English even when she died. My mother lost her father at age 4, her mother mentally and emotionally too, had an abusive stepfather and later an abusive husband. She busted her hump enough to get through college (while working full-time and paying rent to aforementioned stepdad) and even though she has never held a "glamorous" job, she has had a pretty good life and actually had quite an influence. Her son's now a judge and her daughter has a pretty nice job too. :)

Of course it's partly who you know, but who you know is largely up to the choices you make. And being smart, or level-headed, or choosing to pursue a high degree of education isn't "white", and drinking your life away in poverty isn't "Indian"... I grew up hearing Cherokee called "white indians" when they moved away to go to a good school, and that's just silly.

Not trying to flame, but I'd been working up the nerve to post about this and ask why there are no Indian banks to do fee-complex home loans on reservations; why there are hardly any Indians in govt positions, why so few wealthy and influential Indians at all. To those who say "racism" I point out all the black-owned businesses and captains of industry. And they were slaves -- owned by Indians in some cases.

Native culture, much of it anyway, really provides a ot of answers to our modern problems... the ethic of taking care of one another, helping the children and elderly, some of the education systems, respect for the environment. I wish a handful of Indians would get in positions of power because I think the whole country could benefit. Not sure what kind of culture you expect to have left for your grandkids, if you don't respect them enough to do what it takes to change things.

Waiting for the to start now, but there's my piece.

there's all kinds of native's in govt...our own! we're a sovereign nation....we have our own govt..............oh u mean...united states govt? haha i have a cousin who's a senator...he's native.... educated/veteran/entreprenuer/familyman.

hmmm...u saying there ain't many successful indians...or influential indians...well honey...i know plenty!!! i'm 30 yrs old, single mom....co-owner of a business...started it from the ground up and guess what we do over a ******* in sales...we're still fairly young...but at the rate we're going...and with focus & dedication...the sky is the limit! we work with a bank like all other businesses....and yes we have to go off the reservation to do business with them. we don't have any strings to pull...but do you know how hesitant these people are to give money to someone located on the rez! it's got to do with jurisdiction...

oh ya and for me...it's not about the almighty buck...it's about economic development on the reservations....or wherever we may travel to do our work. we are helping rebuild communities in some cases. that's what makes me feel good....and! we employ on average about 15 other natives....and that makes me happy cause to me that's 15 other families that have an income and can feed their children/grandparents/parents in some cases....i take pride in that...being able to help my people! and i always give back to the communities too with any donation they ask from us...that makes me feel good to....to help one another!

have you ever heard of the Native American Bank? it is run by Natives....and their customers...are Natives. I believe it was only established like 4-5 years ago...I could be wrong...however hopefully they will be able to branch out and locate on our reservations....to help MORE natives.

Last edited by **First Lady**; 09-02-2005 at 12:42 PM..
**First Lady** is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM   #107
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
goodg,

Indian people DO NOT have the same contacts or mentors as blacks and whites when it comes to higher economics and jobs. I don't know of any Indians whose parents are influential in national/international politics, the stock market, major media OR the movie industry.

A child who has a father who is a bank president or diamond speculator will have a better chance of gaining access to those industries when he/she becomes an adult - than one who doesn't. This is fact. Very few Indians are born with a golden spoon in their mouths.

43 percent of American Indian/Alaska Native children under the age of 5 live in poverty, which was more than twice as high as the total U.S. population (21 percent). Source: National Center for Education Statistics.

---

Opportunies to star, direct or produce A-list movies just don't happen to Indian people. This is NOT due to a lack of trying. Lesser roles in acting and production are just now becoming available to Indian people.

Indians just don't have the capitol to train individuals in the movie industry or fund multi-million dollar movie productions.

---

I agree with first lady that there are many of us who ARE trying and making headway in the "American Landscape."

We have vision and determination...

Someday you will see an American Indian U.S. President, CEO of a billion dollar corporation, NY stock company owner and major movie studio owner.

Last edited by WhoMe; 09-01-2005 at 01:40 PM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 01:52 PM   #108
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Make It Happen! Don't Wait For Someone Else To Do It!

http://www.chriseyre.org/bio.html

So, here is one role model of a Skin who didn't sit around complaining about White oppression; who is trying to make a difference.

Another comment, relying on Pow-wow winnings to support a family isn't realistic. For many youth I see on the circuit today, being a champion pow-wow dancer like Paskemin or Draper is the equivalent of a Black kid wanting to be a Michael Jordan or Shaq--and most just don't have what is needed to succeed at it.

If I had one thing to say to our youth today it would be pay attention and get an EDUCATION! Have realistic dreams and do your part to make them happen!

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Last edited by Plenty Fox; 09-01-2005 at 05:35 PM..
Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 02:06 PM   #109
Pow Wow Visitor

goodgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
No, I didn't know anything about a Native American bank but ats what I'm talking about... banks (regular ones) are just fraudulent ripoff artists anyway (apologies to any bankers present LOL) and they look for any excuse to rob people. And then you add the complications of buying/selling on rez land and they just take entire advantage. Then you have high interest rates, high default rates, bad credit ratings and the thing just spirals down. So hopefully you are right and Natives will get their own banking system done to avoid that sort of thing. I mean, it CAN be done, house-w/-no-land purchases are done all the time.

I really do sympathize with poverty, I've experienced everything from homelessness to eating dinner with senators myself. It's definitely better to sit at the big table. :) But that's why I think ppl shouldn't give in to hopelessness about it, because that way nothing will ever change.

First Lady, state senator right? And of course I know about tribal govt and that's all good but a Native Governor would be even better... courting more flames here but I wish Janice Dugan or Michell Hicks would run someday in NC. Automatically education, elder care and land/water conservation would probably become big issues, and they might not care so much about courting huge corporations. At least, in my optimistic mind, Natives might not be so easily corrupted and pre-jaded. Or is that naive LOL?
goodgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 04:37 PM   #110
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
Lightbulb my 2 cents

i agree, we have to make political inroads.....that's where changes happen.......NDN people have got to get more reps involved in this whole political machine our gov't is run by.

and we've got to become more educated - and then get those educated people to 1) go back to their indian communities to live/work and/or 2) let them network where they are to promote/advocate and get ndn peoples' feet in the door

and we've got to STOP the mentality that urban NDN's/educated NDN's/etc... are somehow inadequate or "less indian" or "white wannabes" compared to indians living on reservations or in their traditional communities

and, we've got to better raise our children to know that they have a responsibility/obligation to help their people among america's "me, me, me" society

shout-out to lumbee guaranty bank, founded in 1971 and the 1st indian-owned bank in america - what about it cuz??!!!!!!!

Last edited by geronimo; 09-01-2005 at 04:45 PM..
geronimo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 05:27 PM   #111
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Hallelujah! Can I get an Amen?!!!

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-01-2005, 09:22 PM   #112
Junior Dancer

Blue Poet is just really nice
Amen. Now pass the collection plate.
Blue Poet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2005, 11:32 AM   #113
lotus

lotus is an unknown quantity at this point
Yes

Quote:

Peace, yes i think there needs to be more native american film makers.I am not native american my self, i am a black women...but i have enought knowledge to know that who is better to make afilm like that than a native american person. I didnt like the part in the film when jacob wheeler had to explain to the black run away slave that its not right to sell people for money.Remember the part when Jacob was going to fight that red neck when he was going so sell the Lakota women....I was like...that was really ignorant...like black folks are so ignorant and non-feeling that we dont know its rwrong to sell another human being.we of all people should know. I didnt like the way steven spilberg put that out there, out of all the parts they could have had a black man play...he again had to play the streotypical role of an ignorant balck man. making jacob the hero like he had=s to come down and save every1s asses. that got me really mad.

Peace
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-02-2005, 01:21 PM   #114
*Mystic Paradise*

*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute*Mystic* has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I agree with you 100% on that!
Old 10-05-2005, 07:54 PM   #115
lotus

lotus is an unknown quantity at this point
thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CherokeeTears*
Yeah I agree with you 100% on that!

yeah....im glad i aint the only 1 who feels this way.....thanx 4 the reply

red lotus
lotus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 AM   #116
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus
. . . I didnt like the way steven spilberg put that out there, out of all the parts they could have had a black man play...he again had to play the streotypical role of an ignorant balck man. making jacob the hero like he had=s to come down and save every1s asses. that got me really mad.

lotus,

I totally agree with your assessment of this Steven Speilberg series, in the portayal of your cultural.

In the portrayal of Indian culture, "Historical inaccuracy, perpetuation of negative stereotypes and status quo mentality abound in this production."

___

Into the West recently aired in Canada.

Here's a comment from one of my friends from Manitoba,

"I was writing to tell you I finally seen Into the West the past two nights. Unfortunately I didn't know they were airing the first two episodes last week on CBC, so I have only seen episodes 3 & 4. In any case my family and I were pretty interested in it. I found that it has renewed an interest in my nephew to start reading more on the real history of our people. I had to admit the show made me mad at the whole history, maybe it will serve to educate the non native people how bad their ancestors really were to our people."

__

Dispite the inaccuracies and stereotyping, Into the West has opened some thought provoking issues concerning negative events that have been instituted upon Native peoples - to make them "Americans."

Last edited by WhoMe; 10-06-2005 at 10:49 AM..
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #117
To'di'cheeni / Taa'ba'haa

vince_j has a spectacular aura about
Into the West DVD went on sale last Tuesday

FYI: The "Into the West" series DVD went on sale last Tuesday.
"We who are clay blended by the Master Potter, come from the kiln of Creation in many hues. How can people say one skin is colored, when each has its own coloration? What should it matter that one bowl is dark and the other pale, if each is of good design and serves its purpose well." ~~~Polingaysi Qoyawayma, Hopi~~~
vince_j is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2005, 03:31 PM   #118
Junior Dancer

AEn8ive_kita is a glorious beacon of light
Yup... I bought it on DVD... finally finished watching it... Phew was it longggg!!!! Good though!

http://www.myspace.com/kitagal is where i be lol
AEn8ive_kita is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links