Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Obsolete Reservations??? Obsolete Reservations???

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
crazywolf

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Obsolete Reservations???

Boozhoo niji,

I know this one is gonna start some fires, so be it. This have been bugging me for a couple of months and now I am bringing it out into the open for everyone to attack, flame, ridicule and possibly even get banned over.

I was at work a couple of days ago, on break and was talking to this guy. He was asking me why I decided to move from Florida to Minnesota and endure this crappy snowy weather when I could have all the sunshine I wanted. I said its not about weather, its about my culture. So we got off and started talking about culture, spirituality, language and finally, reservations. You know how in those conversations one thing leads to another right? Now I kinda respected this guy, he respected my need for being spiritual and getting close to my people. But then he one off's me with, "I think they should do away with the reservations. They started off as a holding pen at first, to convert the people to the new ways, but now they have, and the reservations have served their purpose." That was in a nutshell by the way. I wanted to save you all from his boring speech. Now I really, really wanted to enlighten him on the importance of "self determination" and "culture genocide", but all I got out was, "Well, to start off with, the reservations serve now as a gathering place, where we can still do our pow wows, dance, have sweat lodges, and live without prejudice."

He replied with, "Well that is what civic organizations and churches are for. I am just sick and tired of some native being able to come into town and do something, and then run back to the safety of the rez where the cops cannot touch him." I really wanted to continue the conversation with him, but his radio went off and he had to leave. Big fat sigh.

You know, when I moved up here I was prepared to meet with extreme prejudice. In fact, I really haven't seen a lot of it. Things are pretty quiet around here, and I live in the town that is closest to the south border of White Earth. But I do hear a lot of remarks like those. I know another guy that lives on the rez, has lived there his entire life, and he is white. He thinks it should go one of two ways. Either get rid of the reservations altogether, or close them up. The government comes in and buys out all of the land that white people own on the rez, and gives it back to the tribe, and then closes the borders. He says that if we want to be treated like a soveriegn nation, then thats exactly the way it should be. Cut off all funding and force the inhabitants to work and live on their own land. We would have to get passports to leave and green cards to live "off rez". My response to that was simple. We are already citizens of the United States. What are they gonna do? Uncitizenize us?

So after all of these remarks and everything, I had some time to think on it. Its easy when you are snow bound with no place to go. Are the reservations really important to us? Would we survive as a people if we did not have them? Would the traditions and language survive without them? Suppose for a moment that the government said, "OK, enough is enough, this is the United States and nowhere in the name does it say tribe or reservation. You guys are on your own." What would we do? What if the opposite were true, where they close the borders and actually make us independent nations with no outside funding? Could we survive on just the acerage provided? Would we be able to open trade negotiations with other countries? What exactly is the federal government's responsibility to us? Are they supposed to be like our parents for the rest of eternity?

I feel that we, as a people, would survive no matter what. I honestly believe that. We have endured much through thousands of years, and there are thousands yet to come. I know that many of the larger nations have the strength to negotiate with other countries and perhaps eventually enter the global economy. But I do not think that there are enough people to back up what our leaders are saying. Such is the fault of democracy. We vote in a leader and only the majority follows, not everyone. And in those ways sometimes a lot of talk is done, but a lot does not get done.

Now I leave it to everyone else to mull over. So what would you say or how would you react to a remark like that. I have to bite my tongue a lot because I have to keep my job. Now if I didn't have that job, I would probably speak my mind.

The reservations must stay, the federal government does owe us from now until eternity. We should be the only people allowed to own land on our reservations.

Derek
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

iyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Savings: 0.00
"the federal gov't owes us from now to eternity" "we should be the only ones allowed to own property on the rez".

I'm going to play devils advocate here. Please tell me why in no uncertain terms the fed. gov't. owes natives 'till eternity.
Please argue why natives are forever entitled. Yes, I'm plenty mixed and am quite torn over all of this. One grandmother walked the "trail". One grandmother was from Prussia. If you are familiar with history of WWII then you know that everyone was killed or displaced. It's gone. Another country (Russia) now has the land and descendants got nothing, ever. I'm not saying the U.S. is right with their treatment of Natives, but I am saying that at least some have tried to make things somewhat better. Shouldn't we hate the gov't a little less?
Still playing the devils advocate here, so how about refusing all federal funding? That is if it's so darn distasteful to you. You gotta start with the young ones, teaching them to stand on their own two feet. Feeling entitled is not the true NDN way is it? If being NDN is all about culture, turn them whiteys into NDNZ too! Share your culture more freely. The spirits know if ya do it for a dollar or if you're doing it to help your culture to be understood and prolificate. Respect must be earned, not just given as a birthrite. I'm referring to some who profess to speak for all Natives because of their birth, not because they have actually done much of anything to help the peoples plight or have even really seeked to see the truth from all sides. Self righteousness bites. Why in the heck declare war when education would fill the bill? If you are only looking at a situation from one side, then you have blinders on.
In wars of the old days, were'nt lands taken, families killed etc...? Did every tribe take on responsibility forever of those from the defeated sides descendants? Don't try to tell me they didn't murder but only tapped with coup sticks. Did the tribes tolerate those from the defeated sides who refused to take on their ways and did their own thing all the while depending on the victors who were doing the hunting and gathering for them? Even if they never acknowledged defeat? NO. I'm not saying what is right and what is wrong because I am quite frankly not smart enough to think I knowall the answers (or is it ignorant enough to think I know all the answers?). So it comes down to what? What is in a humans heart or what is in their dna? It is not the same thing. As I said, I am mixed. It's through no fault of my own that I was born as I was. But it is my fault if I don't freaking speak up and ask people to open their hearts and minds.
Having lived in the white world so much it is easier for me to play "devils advocate". I have been shunned by Natives who are actually blood relations 'cause I look white. Is it because I obviously wanted something? Which was to reclaim my lost heritage? Help your co worker see the light. This is the U.S. you do have rights and cannot be fired for your personal beliefs. Well, that is unless your personal beliefs are prejudice and spill over into your workplace. That goes both ways, whites against others and others against whites. You are very prejudice. I am sorry that your experience with whites has always been so bad. I will tell you now that the entitlement thing will piss folks off quick. They didn't do a dang thing to your ancestors, but they pay their taxes that support you without blinking an eye. Do you appreciate it when a dependant acts entitled and is not grateful for what you give them even though it was your uncle who created them, but you are the one who gladly cares for them in many ways? Like I said, I am playing devils advocate and am really trying to tick you off and get you thinking. Is it right for you to hate all whites and want them off "your" land? Buy it from them. Use eminant domain, whatever ya gotta do if that's your desire. But you have to do something, don't just piss and moan about it. I would venture to say that the ancestors would thump you in the ear for saying you are so entitled. There are very sorry whites and very sorry natives. You know some of each, I'm certain. Take that half of the people who are white and of good heart and teach them, share some knowledge with them. Their kids will be taught, and so on. Eventually you will have 100% as the old aholes die out and the new generations take their place. Stop hating, look for a solution instead. There is one, somewhere. It is lost on me though. Please open your arms, hearts and minds to all of the white idiots. Start 'em young. They are just ignorant and the thing about that is, you can change it, one heart at a time. Being FBI does not give you a monopoly on the truth. Hatred and prejudice is an epidemic and nobody seems to want to prevent anyone from catching it, or cure them of it. They just want to complain when someone dies from it. I'm sure you hate me too now. I am sorry for that, but not sorry that I was trying to get you to think. Whether I am right or wrong, at least I tried to loosen the dam. I fully expect to be punished for being female, mixed and having an opinion. Argue with me, help me see the situation better, please!
iyeska's mother is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
1. We don't own the land, to begin with. (Federal Reserve Land.)
2. Tribes/Nations would die -- in a heartbeat -- if isolated from the government teat.
3. Sovereignty is a JOKE.

Anything else?

Last edited by Zeke; 03-12-2009 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Ensure directness.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

iyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond reputeiyeska's mother has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 50.00
Dang Zeke, Can't believe that actually got posted here! My comments didn't make it past the mods. haha You have my vote!
iyeska's mother is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #5
hello

Items Present
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
superndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond reputesuperndngyrl has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,091.95
i think despite the reservations, that natives seems to accumulate together anyways. It would be kinda like Oklahoma.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
well the whole soviernty, close the borders etc, going to address that first:

Under International law a treaty is an agreement signed between 2 nations without negating the independance of either Nation and are binding forever unless otherwise stated or broken. Technically it's all our land and they "pay"us to use what is treatied with education, services etc...like rent. Technically by breaking treaty with us we can take it all back. We could try to fight it in the hague. In reality it has never been this way. Ideas like closing up the boarders etc is a misunderstanding of what a treaty is. And if Zeke thinks this "payment" is a handout, he can come explain that to my landlord.

*disclaimer* No zeke I don't think we are going to run off and become a soverign Nation, but some level of indepensence within the confines of a treaty Nation are possible with much work

Do they serve as a protected area for us to just be NDN, and do they aide in protecting language and culture?

Not always, but sometimes, that part is up to us. But having no rez would hasten assimilation. Locally 2 of the Algonquin tribes refused to sign a treaty, lost their land. They (for the most part) are more assimilated then the rest of their Nation; although they are going to the rez and learning (some). Also there is not a full-blood amoung them, while on the res there are plenty. So would these 2 tribes been more intact if they had signed and got a rez? Probably. There are other tribes around that also did not sign, and they have similar stories. Now I bet someone here is wondering if they assimilated better into the economic life of the region. Recently yes but mostly as proffessional NDN's, previously some did, some didn't. They still had to live through all the racism and all that. Still had imperialist government policies effecting their lives. Sure some rez' also have great loss of culture, but without it the chances were slimmer.
But what they become and what we become is up to us. Are we willing to take the time to achieve what we want and to do so properly? If we are I do think we will need the rez
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 07:08 PM   #7
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond repute
injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,812.27
thought u knew

u cant argue with a three year old cause youll always lose. thats kinda the same mentality u needa approach this dude with. even if u tried to impose ur will, the short attention span would stop u cause his minds already gone. and seriously u thought about this for months.. haha

im gonna call u out cause theres no way this bothered u that much or that long

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
injunboy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
kitozudoto

injunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond reputeinjunboy has a reputation beyond repute
what rez do u live on anyways?

btw i live on the navajo reservation

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #9
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
LOL
Do away with Reservations has been done before look in the history books and read up on Land Allotment Act and the Dawes Commission and various other acts that did away with reservations in Oklahoma and other places the USA...

The Main issue here (despite what Zeke seems to think) is the fact that the various Treaties that are held by all the various tribes in the United States STILL HAVE LEGAL STANDING even to this day!
Otherwise why would we still be talking about it??? They would have done whatever they wanted to long ago
Disbanded all tribal Governments and Alloted all Land in the USA and be done with it over a 100 years ago.

But no
They still deal with each tribe in the various ways and still in the Courts are suits that have been brought years ago that are still being heard!!!

Some interesting Links regarding land ownership:

Allotment Act of 1891

ILTF - FAQs about Allotment

Recent allotment-related legislation

Tribe/Reservation Specific Information

Indian Land Tenure Foundation--General Allotment Act

Last edited by Josiah; 03-12-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Josiah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-12-2009, 08:56 PM   #10
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 38,634.63
Indian Land Consolidation Act Amendments of 2000

Read this one Zeke:

For full text of the bill, please click “http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...ubl462.106.pdf
" (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).

Amends the Indian Land Consolidation Act to revise certain Indian land consolidation provisions.

Adds to the definition of "Indian" any person who has been found to meet such definition under a provision of federal law if consistent with the purposes of the act.

Declares that it is the policy of the United States – “(1) to prevent the further fractionation of trust allotments made to Indians; (2) to consolidate fractional interests and ownership of those interests into usable parcels; (3) to consolidate fractional interests in a manner that enhances tribal sovereignty; (4) to promote tribal self-sufficiency and self-determination; and (5) to reverse the effects of the allotment policy on Indian tribes.”

Sets forth a provision requiring the approval of the Secretary of the Interior for trust or restricted land sales, except with respect to an Indian tribe that has a Secretary-approved land consolidation plan.

Requires approval by the Secretary within 180 days of any adopted Indian tribal probate code governing descent and distribution of trust or restricted interests. Outlines approval procedures, reserves life estates for non-Indian devisees who would otherwise be precluded from inheriting by reason of the adopted code, and authorizes payments by tribes to such devisees to acquire interests.

In the absence of tribal probate codes, this act provides uniform rules for descent and distribution of interests in Indian lands.

To prevent Indian lands from passing out of trust, non-Indian heirs will only receive a life estate in Indian lands (a life estate is property that belongs to a person for their lifetime, but cannot be sold or passed on to anyone else until after the death of the person.) Because a non-Indian heir owns less than the full interest, a “remainder interest” is created, and this remainder interest must go to an Indian heir of the first or second degree. If there are no such heirs, the remainder may be purchased by any Indian co-owner of the parcel. If no offer is made to purchase the parcel, the remainder interest passes to the tribe. The rules are applicable to both testate (with a will) and intestate (no will) Indian estates.

The 2000 amendments provide an exception in cases where the Indian owners of a trust land may not have an Indian heir and the general rule would deprive them of the ability to devise more than a life estate to any of their heirs. They may devise an interest to either their heirs of the first or second degree or collateral heirs of the first or second degree. Because these people are non-Indian, the interest would pass in fee, not in trust. These interests may also be purchased by the tribe.

This act also limits the way that Indian land passes as a “joint tenancy in common.” If a person devises interests in the same parcel to more than one person, unless there is language in the will to the contrary, it is presumed to be a “joint tenancy with the right of survivorship,” meaning that each of a decedent’s heirs share a common title, so the last surviving member of the group obtains full interest as it was owned by the descendent. Any interest of less than 5 percent passing by intestate succession will also be held by the heirs with the “right of survivorship.” The Secretary of the Interior must certify that it has the capacity to track and manage interests that are held with the right of survivorship before this provision takes place.

Addresses descent of off-reservation lands. Provides for the descent and distribution of trust or restricted lands located outside of a reservation. Also provides for the authority of the official authorized to adjudicate probate to approve agreements between a decedent’s heirs and devisees to consolidate interests in such lands.

Requires the Secretary to notify Indian tribes and owners of trust or restricted lands of the amendments made in this act with respect to testate disposition, intestate descent, and estate planning options, including opportunities for receiving assistance or advice.
Authorizes owners of interests in trust or restricted lands to bring administrative actions to challenge the application of provisions regarding descent and distribution after the Secretary has certified that notice on the amendments of this act has been made to tribes and land owners. Permits judicial review of the Secretary’s final decision.
Gives authority to the Secretary to acquire factional interests in trust or restricted lands, with owner consent and at fair market price. The Secretary may give priority to the acquisition of fractional interests representing 2 percent or less of a parcel of trust or restricted land, especially those interests that would have escheated to a tribe but for Babbitt vs. Youpee.

At the request of any Indian who owns at least 5 percent of the undivided interest in a parcel of trust or restricted land, the Secretary shall convey an interest acquired under this section to the Indian landowner upon payment by the Indian landowner of the amount paid for the interest by the Secretary.

Provides for tribal administration of acquired fractional interest and the disposition of proceeds from leases, resource sales, rights-of-way, or other transactions affecting interests in trust or restricted lands. Sets out conditions for such administration.
Grants authority to the Secretary to develop a system for establishing the fair market value of various types of lands and improvements of interests in trust or restricted lands.
Establishes an acquisition fund.

Allows the sale or other exchange of interests in trust or restricted lands, including a prohibition on termination trust or restriction status on land conveyed for less than fair market value until five years after approval of conveyance.

Requires reports from the Secretary to specified congressional committees on fractional interests in trust or restricted lands acquired and the impact on Bureau of Indian Affairs financial realty recordkeeping systems.

Authorizes the Secretary to approve leases, rights-of-way, and sales of natural resources affecting individually owned trust or restricted lands based upon the consent of specified percentages of the owners concerned (with decreasing percentages required the greater number of owners).

Requires the Secretary to provide for estate planning assistance to Indian landowners.
States that this act is inapplicable to land located in Alaska.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by superndngyrl View Post
i think despite the reservations, that natives seems to accumulate together anyways. It would be kinda like Oklahoma.
That was the plan for Oklahoma in the first place, wasn't it? An Indian state? That is until the white man struck oil there, then the plan changed.... of course.
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #12
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
That was the plan for Oklahoma in the first place, wasn't it? An Indian state? That is until the white man struck oil there, then the plan changed.... of course.
Which is precisely what would occur -- Josiah's diatribe not withstanding -- if anything the Feds truly desired were found on THEIR (not our) Reserve land, again.

That's just the way it is, folks: NONE of it is our land, in reality or practice.

If they really wanted the land we're on, they'd just move tribes to DIFFERENT Federal Reserve Land and claim the new land is held "in trust," and "for us..."

BAH.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiah View Post
The Main issue here (despite what Zeke seems to think) is the fact that the various Treaties that are held by all the various tribes in the United States STILL HAVE LEGAL STANDING even to this day!
Fantasy Island. Are they enforced? No? Do the math: if nobody is accountable, it's not in effect.

Quote:
Otherwise why would we still be talking about it??? They would have done whatever they wanted to long ago
In general, they DID.

Quote:
They still deal with each tribe in the various ways and still in the Courts are suits that have been brought years ago that are still being heard!!!
That whole "lack of enforcement" thing I brought up...

Seriously, in practice, this thing is DONE. DEAD. OVER.

At best, Reservations are sub-leased quarantines. The reason Natives are allowed on them, is because -- right now -- the Federal government doesn't want them bad enough to deal with the hassle of moving anybody.

Just wait...
Old 03-13-2009, 09:29 PM   #14
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Fantasy Island. Are they enforced? No? Do the math: if nobody is accountable, it's not in effect.

In general, they DID.

That whole "lack of enforcement" thing I brought up...

Seriously, in practice, this thing is DONE. DEAD. OVER.

At best, Reservations are sub-leased quarantines. The reason Natives are allowed on them, is because -- right now -- the Federal government doesn't want them bad enough to deal with the hassle of moving anybody.

Just wait...
if we got our act together and stopped wasting our time with delegations to the UN, and went to fight it under international law, we might get somewhere
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #15
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
if we got our act together and stopped wasting our time with delegations to the UN, and went to fight it under international law, we might get somewhere
The United States, the Great Arbiter, will never acquiesce to International Law, even if found wanting, and they wouldn't be.

We lost.

Indians need a new Plan.

Perhaps we should endeavour to escape from our OWN quarantines? But that would take some social courage...
Old 03-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #16
Tiny Tot Dancer

IlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Wherever I am suppose to be at that time...simple as that.
Credits: 0.00
I had a long post.. but I edited it to be just this :

If you don't change the way of viewing the rez, you will be a caged animal living out the extinction agenda of the great white father.

As it stands, if you believe you are OWED anything, then your thinking is playing into the extinction agenda..

The idea is to isolate you long enough for your fear of adaptation to kill you off.

Many Ilnu disenrolled in the earlier 90s to be free of the MENTAL weight of status... and thes now Non-Status Ilnu still live in the community --- and even though they are not indians on paper anymore--- everyone still KNOWS them from before and thus their Native-ness is UNQUESTIONED.

They still live 6 months in the bush and 6 months in the town... etc.etc..

The only difference is they have to be accountable for themselves instead of as a number... they have real jobs and they have real bank accounts..

Their native-ness is unquestioned by other Ilnu (and if other natives, who are not Ilnu, question it--- tough ****.. you are not Ilnu and your opinion doesn't mean anything.) ..

So, do we really NEED status to be native ? Do we really NEED the rez ?

I have my beliefs, but I have chosen to shorten my post (and thus, not include them).

* Also, it should be noted that most reserves are NOT located on the real "heartland" of most of the tribes. Most reserves, in my life experiences, are located in a small and isolated area far from the actual "sacred lands of the tribe".
Most Ilnu reserves are located on the coast... but the real "heartland" is deeper into the interior...

So , for those Ilnu who gave up their status... guess what? The "heartland" didn't go anyway.... it was still there.. .and they travel to it just as easily as they did before they relinquished their status..

Nothing changed in that regard.

So, is your rez located "in the heartland"..or in some far off isolated corner ?

Last edited by IlnuSoldier; 03-16-2009 at 01:40 PM..
IlnuSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
First replay, more to come later,

Boozhoo niji,

I am replying to these one at a time, read them all yesterday, and I have little time to reply today before I go to work, and will not be back until monday.

this first one is for Ilyena's Mother.

I am not ticked off at you, in fact I giggled a little bit reading your post. I am a little disturbed however that you think I am stereotyping anyone. Never in my post did I ever say that I hated white people. I just hate certain people. People first need to give me a reason to hate them, and really I don't hate on people, just avoid them. There is an old phrase...

"To hold hatred and resentment towards a person is to allow them to live rent free in your mind." oorrrr.... something like that. Never in my post did I say I hated the government or whites or full bloods or anything.

When you say you wrote your post to make me think, well thankyou. I was actually thinking about these things long long ago, my intention of this thread was to make other people think as well. We do have a unique position in this world, and I feel that it is something that we can use to our advantage. I also feel that if people do not wake up and see the light then we will continue to go further on down the spiral which is what I feel other people want anyway, like my boss. The man I spoke of in my first post here is in fact a manager and it is very destructful to my "career" if you want to call it that, to disagree with him or anyone else in management. Someone wrote me in an email that I should not let those remarks bother me, and I really don't. I do not worry about them because I do not think there is anything I could do, to change anything anyway. I am only a dancer, nothing more. I cannot change that person's mind anymore than I could change yours. I just wanted to hear other people's opinions and get a broader scope of things. And that is all there is to it.

Derek
Old 03-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #18
crazywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by injunboy View Post
u cant argue with a three year old cause youll always lose. thats kinda the same mentality u needa approach this dude with. even if u tried to impose ur will, the short attention span would stop u cause his minds already gone. and seriously u thought about this for months.. haha

im gonna call u out cause theres no way this bothered u that much or that long
Boozhoo niji,

Yeah you are right, I wasn't trying to argue with him really, although were it not for the guys radio the conversation might have well turned into a arguement. I get pretty fired up sometimes.

OK you called my bluff. It didn't really bother me that long. One guy made a comment about 2 months ago and I let it live. So the other day this guy comes out with this. It really hasn't bothered me much, just something on the back burner that I did think about ocassionally. Like I said, when you get snowed in, there isn't much else to do.

As far as my rez. My mother was enrolled with the White Earth band of Ojibwe. I now live about 12 miles south of that rez, mostly because I have not really settled into a job yet nor have I found any other place to live. This is a work in progress.

Derek
Old 03-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
crazywolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzzeQ4 View Post
well the whole soviernty, close the borders etc, going to address that first:

Under International law a treaty is an agreement signed between 2 nations without negating the independance of either Nation and are binding forever unless otherwise stated or broken. Technically it's all our land and they "pay"us to use what is treatied with education, services etc...like rent. Technically by breaking treaty with us we can take it all back. We could try to fight it in the hague. In reality it has never been this way. Ideas like closing up the boarders etc is a misunderstanding of what a treaty is. And if Zeke thinks this "payment" is a handout, he can come explain that to my landlord.

*disclaimer* No zeke I don't think we are going to run off and become a soverign Nation, but some level of indepensence within the confines of a treaty Nation are possible with much work

Do they serve as a protected area for us to just be NDN, and do they aide in protecting language and culture?

Not always, but sometimes, that part is up to us. But having no rez would hasten assimilation. Locally 2 of the Algonquin tribes refused to sign a treaty, lost their land. They (for the most part) are more assimilated then the rest of their Nation; although they are going to the rez and learning (some). Also there is not a full-blood amoung them, while on the res there are plenty. So would these 2 tribes been more intact if they had signed and got a rez? Probably. There are other tribes around that also did not sign, and they have similar stories. Now I bet someone here is wondering if they assimilated better into the economic life of the region. Recently yes but mostly as proffessional NDN's, previously some did, some didn't. They still had to live through all the racism and all that. Still had imperialist government policies effecting their lives. Sure some rez' also have great loss of culture, but without it the chances were slimmer.
But what they become and what we become is up to us. Are we willing to take the time to achieve what we want and to do so properly? If we are I do think we will need the rez

Boozhoo niji,

This was well written and some wise words, miigwetch. I was hoping someone would bring up the treaties, and that is why I posted my last line about the governments owing us forever, I never did specify "what" they owed us and there is a reason.

Every tribe signed treaties and the conditions of every treaty signed are different, depending on the needs and wants of both parties at the time of the signing. We had all had a way of life that would have existed forever were it not for the intervention of the invading peoples. Every one of us had a different way from the other, and that is why there are differences in the treaties. Our people did what they thought was best for us in the long run. And I feel what was on their minds the most was survival. We could not have survived were it not for the reservations and the signing of treaties.

This has been enlightening, but now, like I said, I have to go to work. So please think that if I did not answer your post that I do not think lightly of it. I just have not gotten to it yet. Miigwetch.

Derek
Old 03-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
kitozudoto

this is kinda towards zekes response. i know the outside world wants our water cause we have alot of it. it exists in the big rivers and underground. if it comes to it water might pass oil here in the southwest. good ole delicious water is our trump card but according to others may be our downfall. who really knows! u guys are sayin one thing but were still here.

*RoUg3 MoD sTaTuS*
Sponsored Links