Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Pan-Indian Epidemic Pan-Indian Epidemic

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #1
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
IlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Wherever I am suppose to be at that time...simple as that.
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 1.00
Pan-Indian Epidemic

Yea, Big Chief Plastic Man checking in :

I'm gonna be blunt and simple with this one :

Pan-Indianism served a purpose, but now it is an epidemic. Its is like we used hardcore pain medicine in the hospital, but when we went home, we kept using it and now we are addicted to it.

People : Put the Pan-Indianism DOWN .

I propose we make an Intervention Program with a Pan-Indian Rehab center so that tribes can get their culture and lifeways back, instead of everbody trying to be a Lakota.

It will be known as P.I.I.P. and P.I.R.C.

Another program I propose is :

P.I.M.P. Pan-Indian Management Program : This will police and regulate the use and spread of Pan-Indian Ideologies. This will keep the epidemic from spreading further.

We would like to point out that the initials spell "PIMP"... and this is not lost on me ... as I would like to point out that those people who are effected by the Pan-Indian Epidemic are, basically, "whores" for Lakota culture.

Thus, nothing is worse that a bunch of hos without management, and thus, the P.I.M.P. program.
Any violation of the P.I.M.P. protocol will result in a swift and definitive punishment. Such punishments will be :

Swift : They will be processed and metered out ASAP
Lasting : They will be designed to have long lasting effects
Accurate : They will target the exact offender
Punishments : Because that is what they are

In short, these punishments will be known as "P.I.M.P. S.L.A.P." . The hope is that after receiving a couple of these S.L.A.P.s , the offender will have a moment of clarity and return to their tribe's actual culture and way of viewing the world.

Big Chief Plastic Man doesn't really care what you think, but in the sake of fairness, he will let you reply to his decree. I suppose you can post about your "feelings" and your "thoughts".. or some such shyt.
IlnuSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-06-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 143,242.72
Why you always bagging on the Lakotas?

Can't you just pick on the Cherokees or Apaches or some other well known tribe?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-07-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

IlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond reputeIlnuSoldier has a reputation beyond repute
1.) I was half thinking no one would every reply to this thread...

2.) I am not really bagging on Lakota, its not Lakota's fault that most every other tribe is trying to be them. The criticism is pointed to the other tribes, not the Lakota.

For example : There is no problem with the black urban gangster... the problem is with the Suburban White boys PRETENDING to be black urban gangsters.

Same thing.

Or, to put it in other lingo :

"The middle finger goes out to the Lakota-wannabes, not the Lakota themselves."
Old 12-07-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
Tiny Tot Dancer

If natives all start trying to dress, speak, and generally imitate the old school Apache ways... like.. Some natives in Washington State start always dressing like Geronimo or something..

... I'm going to call them "Apache wannabes"...

Same thing.

However, I don't think that natives are immitating Lakotas because they want to BE Lakota..

..they are brainwashed by the Pan-Indian movement--- which uses the Lakota as its foundation...

So, really... I would say that not only is Pan-Indianism the enemy of every native man, woman, and child...

.... but Pan-Indianism is also a very vicious enemy of the Lakota people. It has whored Lakota culture out to the highest bidder.

If you won't accept millions of dollars in the Black Hills lawsuit... why would you accept the Lakota ways being whored out ?

Think about it.

Pan-Indianism is the enemy of the Lakota people.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
conquistaDORA!

buckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond reputebuckskin pantyhose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 440.00
Savings: 0.00
i concur....time to start handin' out the P.I.M.P. S.L.A.P.s!!!! where do i start? maybe i should get the mailing list from crazy crow specifically the ones that order the "How to make northern traditional regalia" kits.....

yea!

time to lace up my minnetonkas! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaye!
Old 12-17-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Do I understand you?

Let me see if I understand what you are saying. You believe that the pan-Indian movement was at one time useful but has gotten out of hand and is no longer useful? Do you blame NDNs who follow Lakota ways but are not Lakota by blood for ruining everything for all NDNs? If I understand you correctly than I must say that you are over-simplifying. So many NDNs were relocated in the 40s 50s and 60s to LA Oakalnd, San. Fran and Seattle and lost touch with their tribal traditions. Many Lakotas are open about their traditions and language etc. So even NDNs with ties to their reservations may not be able to even learn their own languages/traditions because their grandparents have died and their parents were too drunk to teach them growing up and/or they died or are in jail - get the picture? Do you blame these city NDNs and others in similar situations for wanting to follow something remotely similar to their own traditions? What is wrong with a Lakota brother coming along and teaching them a few songs and prayers? Something is better than nothing.
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

That was then...this is now. These days, most NDN people have the choice to engage in their traditional ways or the Pan-Indian ways. Pan-Indianism WAS useful--- but now, I believe it is an obstacle.

That is what I am saying.

OR

"If we spend all our time supporting and maintaining Pan-Indianism, then our actual traditions will go unattended and vanish."

40 years ago--- yea, It was f***ing hard to be an NDN... but now, it is hard, but not AS hard as it use to be. We should shift out of "survival mode" and into "Prospering Mode".

This means to put Pan-Indianism down and to pick up our nations's actual traditions.

Also, consider this :

I'm an Ilnu. If I act like a Lakota... how is that any different from a white man acting like a Lakota ? I have no Lakota blood, no Lakota relatives, and none of my ancestors came from the plains or black hills. If I was to try and live like a Lakota, I would just be another wannabe, no different than the German-Irish white guy from San Diego who tries to be Lakota.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
That was then and that is now

Not every NDN does have the choice to learn their own traditions in the here and now. Relocation and adoption are just 2 of many factors that many NDNs are dealing with in the here and now that has torn them from their own traditions. I do not know anyone who has been fortunate enough to have a solid education in their own language and traditions that has turned around and walked away from their own traditions in order to learn other NDN traditions like Lakota traditions, for instance. The only NDN people that I know that follow Lakota ways and are not Lakota by blood, follow Lakota ways because they were never taught their own traditions. You need to count yourself as fortunate to have been taught your own traditions and stop blaming the victim. Your anger is understood but directed towards those who have suffered enough. Have some compassion for NDNs who have been torn from their own traditions. They exist in the here and now.
Old 12-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Tiny Tot Dancer

Then you have never seen... an NDN that does not know their own tribe ? I am not sure what you are describing to be honest.

My first question is 1.) How can you be NDN.. how can you know that you are NDN.. but not know what tribe you are from ? If you have no clue as to what tribe your from.. how can you be sure that your NDN ? Grant it.. I can see how adoptions can make this possible... but surely you would have SOME idea of which tribe you are from... at least an idea...

I feel real sorry for someone that IS ndn BUT has no idea from what tribe they came from --- that must really suck.

However..those poor souls ASIDE (since they probably make up less than 1%of the native population)

Most people DO know which tribe they are from and they CHOOSE to ignore and/or NOT pursue their own people's customs, language, and traditions in FAVOR of Lakota and/or Pan-Indian customs...

... they are actually letting their tribe down.

I mean.. a person CAN absolutely "spread out".. Hell, I'm deep into Siberian/Tibetan/Eskimo/Mongolian stuff myself.... HOWEVER -- ASIDE FROM THAT--- I know my language, my tribe's tradtional religionS, our history, our government, customs, etc.etc...
I would never pretend to claim to be Tibetan or Mongolian. I would not try to "live and die" for the Mongolians... Their struggles and "fate" belongs TO THEM, not me.

What I am talking about are people that KNOW where they come from.. .and they deliberatly Or LAZILY ignore their actual heritage and take on another heritage as if it was their birthright.

Last edited by IlnuSoldier; 12-18-2009 at 04:11 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #10
Singer

obviously our experiences are different

Obviously we have 2 very different experiences. Every single NDN person that I know that follows Lakota ways and is not Lakota by blood does so because they were never taught their own traditions. It is very possible to know your tribe and not know your tribal traditions. You can not blame a person for not knowing their own language if they have never been taught. There are even card-carrying NDNs who call their tribal offices and plead for resources to learn their own language but encounter road block after road block.
This statement that you make, ďMost people DO know which tribe they are from and they CHOOSE to ignore and/or NOT pursue their own people's customs, language, and traditions in FAVOR of Lakota and/or Pan-Indian customs...Ē This is utter nonsense in my opinion. Where are all these NDNs that you are talking about? And how can you know this? Do you know most NDNs? If you do you sure do get around! Have you worked in recovery houses with NDNs who were raised in alcoholic homes and never taught a thing about there own heritage? Have you sat there with them as they called their only living relative and asked to learn their traditions only to be laughed at by someone drunk on the other end of the phone? You donít know the city NDNs experience. You donít know what it is like to be relocated and ripped from your tribe and family by your own dysfunctional mother. You donít speak for most NDNs. Nobody does. Your generalizations are based on nothing but your own assumptions which are based on limited experience.
Old 12-23-2009, 04:09 PM   #11
Tiny Tot Dancer

Fair enough.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #12
Singer

Thank you

Thank you.

Here are some historical articles / essays etc... to consider about pan-Indian movements:

Pan-Indianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PAN-INDIAN MOVEMENTS

American Indian Movement: Encyclopedia - American Indian Movement
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM   #13
Singer

If not for Pan-Indian Movements

This web site would not exist of not for Pan-Indian Movements. This web site and its success is a direct result of Pan-Indian Movements.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:15 PM   #14
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Who really uses the term "Pan Indian"? I really haven't heard that in years.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:24 AM   #15
Singer

I guess it is back

What term do you use?
Old 01-15-2010, 04:58 PM   #16
Pow Wow Visitor

JoeMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Pan-Indian: When you get rid of us, who's going to come to your Pow-Wow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlnuSoldier View Post
Yea, Big Chief Plastic Man checking in :

I'm gonna be blunt and simple with this one :

Pan-Indianism served a purpose, but now it is an epidemic. Its is like we used hardcore pain medicine in the hospital, but when we went home, we kept using it and now we are addicted to it.

People : Put the Pan-Indianism DOWN .

I propose we make an Intervention Program with a Pan-Indian Rehab center so that tribes can get their culture and lifeways back, instead of everbody trying to be a Lakota.

It will be known as P.I.I.P. and P.I.R.C.

Another program I propose is :

P.I.M.P. Pan-Indian Management Program : This will police and regulate the use and spread of Pan-Indian Ideologies. This will keep the epidemic from spreading further.

We would like to point out that the initials spell "PIMP"... and this is not lost on me ... as I would like to point out that those people who are effected by the Pan-Indian Epidemic are, basically, "whores" for Lakota culture.

Thus, nothing is worse that a bunch of hos without management, and thus, the P.I.M.P. program.
Any violation of the P.I.M.P. protocol will result in a swift and definitive punishment. Such punishments will be :

Swift : They will be processed and metered out ASAP
Lasting : They will be designed to have long lasting effects
Accurate : They will target the exact offender
Punishments : Because that is what they are

In short, these punishments will be known as "P.I.M.P. S.L.A.P." . The hope is that after receiving a couple of these S.L.A.P.s , the offender will have a moment of clarity and return to their tribe's actual culture and way of viewing the world.

Big Chief Plastic Man doesn't really care what you think, but in the sake of fairness, he will let you reply to his decree. I suppose you can post about your "feelings" and your "thoughts".. or some such shyt.
JoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

JoeMac is an unknown quantity at this point
Down by census river you call us sweet names, but as soon as the census man leaves, we are "Pan Indians" 2010 is coming up how would you like for us to enumerate?
JoeMac is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links