Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Please ask them to announce this at the next PowWow you go to Please ask them to announce this at the next PowWow you go to

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 09:40 PM   #1
Seeker of Social Justice

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scale
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Please ask them to announce this at the next PowWow you go to

I can easily be called a conspiracy theorist but I would happily accept facts that prove my theories wrong because if I am right our children and our grandchildren are facing some serious health issues in the future. And because of the seriousness of it I wouldn't say this unless I was certain it were true.

It seems children of First Nations and low income people are being intentionally prescribed medications that are known to be harmful.

A couple of years ago some studies indicated that acetaminophen - the main ingredient in Tempra and Children's Tylenol was 3 times more harmful to the liver than previously believed.
Suddenly my daughter's mother began coming back from the doctors office with several bottles of Children's Tylenol everytime she took one of the kids to the doctor for any reason. Of course I did what I could to make sure the kids weren't given the stuff. I ended up throwing it away everytime I seen a bottle in the cupboard because I realized that it is common for baby sitters to give it to kids to keep them quiet and make them sleep. But no matter how many bottles I threw away there would always end up being more in the cupboard. I'm sure this is common in a lot of native households.

Imagine how many babysitters not to mention parents that give their kids large doses of the sweet flavoured liver poison every time they want them to sleep. The really disturbing thing is that doctors are aware that it is harmful in lower doses never mind the high doses that some baby sitters and parents are giving kids.

Five years from now (if we are lucky) it will come out that First Nations children were being harmed by cough medicine. I tried getting this out via native newspapers but it seemed that none of them would take it seriously. Only one paper was going to print something about it. It was called Redwire but it was one of the few First Nations papers that didn't have corporate sponsorship and went out of print a month after I got an email from an editor that said she would print the warning.

Anyway I don't think anything on the subject ever got much attention. I probably reached more people by anonamously faxing band offices and taping messages to bus shelters and light posts.

But the question remains - is the native media corrupted from within? Do they need approval to print things that may be in conflict of interest with corporate sponsors such as pharmaceutical companies? Most of their news coverage seems to be limited to "good news" of some band signing away land and mineral rights.

I now know better than to assume that just because something is not well known doesn't mean that it no longer holds true. I found this out when I checked up on one of the other dangers I tried to inform people of back in 2003 - which is tuna.
I heard a public health warning that eating more than three cans a month was harmful for an adult because of the high level of mercury absorbed by large oily fish.
I tried to voice the concern that if 3 cans was harmfull for an adult that surely it would be more harmful for children. Two years went by and I decided to raise the question in a high traffic forum if anyone had heard of mercury in tuna. A couple of people posted updated warnings which now go as far as advising pregnant and nursing women to avoid tuna.

I guess the people that knew this assumed it was common knowledge but it turned out it wasn't commonly known because there were alot of people that were shocked. Again this fits precisely into the horrible conspiracy theory. It is mainly low income people that would stock up on one of the now cheapest and normally healthful sources of protein.

While the media isn't willing to use ink or airtime to bring important messages like this to people I have to ask that all of you out there tell as many people about these things as possible. Even word of mouth is better than nothing. I know there are still many parents out there that are uninformed about the things I mentioned. The next time you are at a powwow ask if they will announce it over the PA. Please do whatever you can think of.
LoneWolfBunn is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 06:35 AM   #2
PowWows.com Addicts

Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Smeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond reputeSmeshigaud has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,042.85
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfBunn
And because of the seriousness of it I wouldn't say this unless I was certain it were true.
And how do you know it's true? I see no evidence backing up this claim...you have not identified where this information comes from.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #3
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I
But the question remains - is the native media corrupted from within? Do they need approval to print things that may be in conflict of interest with corporate sponsors such as pharmaceutical companies? Most of their news coverage seems to be limited to "good news" of some band signing away land and mineral rights.
As a member of the "corrupted native media" I must ask this...where is my kickback check from these corporate pharmaceutical companies?
Old 01-26-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
Pharmaceutical corruption

It is always refreshing to find a subject i am currently studying to come up in discussion. While always being interested in corruption and its effects on the population, I became focussed on medical and pharmaceutical corruption (one led to the other) when my wifes niece passed away under the care of the IHS. While i don't have a clue if there is a conspirasy directed at the Native Americans exclusively (by standards they are at the least being very overlooked in care(my opinion of course )), I do believe that Pharmaceutical corruption is very real. It's all about the money not the cure. I would ask, as part of the media for you to look into this subject, Reporters have far better ways of researching than an amateur as myself. If possible, read Kevin Trudeau's book "Natural Cures- They don't want you to know about". I don't ask you to believe his book because it's in black and white lol, but to research his findings and prove him right or wrong. Of course I'd suggest doing this as a hobby and not as a project for whatever media you work for.
Thanks all for the subject :)
Ban Censorship
hywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 09:16 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
I don't think that what you are speaking of is specific to only first antion and poor families. Doctors over prescribe to everyone. Often times (and this has been proven in the case of antibiotics) doctors prescribe medications to appease parents. They also get kick backs and gice away samples. Part of the responsobolity goes to parents as well. We must make sure that we are not giving tylenol for evry little thing that our kids come down with. I would also like to say that tylenol is far more effective and less harmful than many of the alternatives and is certainly less harmful than having a fever that has gone untreated. I think the answer here is to use with caution and only when really needed.
crazydazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 09:41 AM   #6
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywalker
It is always refreshing to find a subject i am currently studying to come up in discussion. While always being interested in corruption and its effects on the population, I became focussed on medical and pharmaceutical corruption (one led to the other) when my wifes niece passed away under the care of the IHS. While i don't have a clue if there is a conspirasy directed at the Native Americans exclusively (by standards they are at the least being very overlooked in care(my opinion of course )), I do believe that Pharmaceutical corruption is very real. It's all about the money not the cure. I would ask, as part of the media for you to look into this subject, Reporters have far better ways of researching than an amateur as myself. If possible, read Kevin Trudeau's book "Natural Cures- They don't want you to know about". I don't ask you to believe his book because it's in black and white lol, but to research his findings and prove him right or wrong. Of course I'd suggest doing this as a hobby and not as a project for whatever media you work for.
Thanks all for the subject :)
Ban Censorship
There was a recent expose done on Kevin trudeau that found him to be a scam artist. I understand that we are being told everything when it comes to medicine but guy is full of it. He has been in trouble several times for various cons. During the interview with him he was caught in several lies. There were also people interviewed who had lost loved ones who had use Trudeau's book. This guy is dangerous. The only reason why he is aloud to sell his book is because he found a loophole otherwise he has been banned from selling prducts via infomercial. He used to be the guy who sold the memory improvement kits on tv. He claimed to be able to have this amazing memory and for 199.99 you could have one too.

If these cure \s were legitimate do you really think that it would take some knnown scam artist to inform the owrld. Conspirecy is one thing but to think that everyone is in on it is another. While there are some less thn\an honest doctors out their there are many more who truly do their jobs to help people and if they knew of a cure they would tell you. Try googling this guy. There are more people who don't beliefve him than people that do.
Old 01-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #7
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,582.70
LWBunn,

Would you mind reposting this thread in Native News and Issues?

I think this topic is more relevent to that particular forum as opposed to this forum which is Powwow Talk.
Old 01-26-2006, 01:27 PM   #8
Kiowakat's #1 fan

hywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scalehywalker is off the scale
my appolgies and i should have been more specific, I was not trying to endorse trudeau himself or his cures, I had my doubt to his total truth from the point he said there was a natural cure for aids that the corporations were suppressing. But more pointing out his early chapters referring to the corruption. I can believe that he is just another quack trying to get rich on little to no real cure, of course the easiest way to sell a scam is to have some truth mixed in. I do believe that there is truth to the pharm. conspiracy. And thanks for the further info to search on Trudeau, I will dig further into him while I'm at it. (too funny on the amazing memory, I remember laughing at that but didnt remember who was involved)
Unfortunately I had just gotten a lil over half thru his book with no time to research his facts yet, when i found this thread so again i was not trying to step in as an authority on this subject lol

Last edited by hywalker; 01-26-2006 at 01:33 PM..
hywalker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 01:39 PM   #9
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
i agree that many kids and not just first nation children are given meds that are knowingly dangerous...rolling stone had a big article on it last spring...but tylenol doesnt contain acetomitophene,it contains ibuprophen

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)

Last edited by sokoki_wolf; 01-26-2006 at 06:47 PM..
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 02:11 PM   #10
Smell my cookin'

The Rock has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 40.00
got it backwards...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
i agree that many lids and not just first nation children are given meds that are knowingly dangerous...rolling stone had a big article on it last spring...but tylenol doesnt contain acetomitophene,it contains ibuprophen

Tylenol is Acetaminophen

Advil,Motrin is Ibuprofen

The original poster is right....There is COMPLETELY a pharmaceutical conspiracy FULL of corruption...the industry has become a monster. Bigger than electronics, tobacco...you name it and they use their heavy weight to influence government.

However....their conspiracy doesn't target just Indians. They target everyone.

Doctors can and often do get offered huge incentives (free trips, equipment, money, homes...etc) if they choose to prescribe certain medications....as well as the kickbacks pharmacies get offered if they don't offer generic versions of medications....an awful lot of temptation that barely gets monitored.

Does everyone remember a day when it was against the law to ADVERTISE prescription drugs?

Since that day I can probably recall AT LEAST a dozen medications billed as the answer to all your problems for one reason or another whether it be pain, anti-depressants, losing weight, etc...that have been found to be detrimental to health or deadly and upon further investigation it was usually found that these drugs were NOT thoroughly tested or the risks were known to the drug companies, but they failed to tell anyone else.

I've known a friend to watch these commercials and say "THAT'S WHAT I NEED!"...go to a doctor's office...fill out a questionnaire, have a 2 minute interview with a doctor they'd never been to and come back with a "starter pack" for Effexor.

Luckily we all convinced that person to use a little common sense and realize that clinical depression doesn't get diagnosed so easily and real doctors will tell you that just taking pills isn't enough and can lead to more trouble....turns out we saved them a lot of trouble and they continue to be a healthy happy person without it.

Makes me wanna chew nails sometimes....

Rock
The Rock is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2006, 06:44 PM   #11
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hywalker
my appolgies and i should have been more specific, I was not trying to endorse trudeau himself or his cures, I had my doubt to his total truth from the point he said there was a natural cure for aids that the corporations were suppressing. But more pointing out his early chapters referring to the corruption. I can believe that he is just another quack trying to get rich on little to no real cure, of course the easiest way to sell a scam is to have some truth mixed in. I do believe that there is truth to the pharm. conspiracy. And thanks for the further info to search on Trudeau, I will dig further into him while I'm at it. (too funny on the amazing memory, I remember laughing at that but didnt remember who was involved)
Unfortunately I had just gotten a lil over half thru his book with no time to research his facts yet, when i found this thread so again i was not trying to step in as an authority on this subject lol
Please for yourself and those you love be careful. If you have concerns over western medicine go see someone in your community but please just through the Trudeau book in the trash. To say he is a quack is giving this guy credit, he is not even a doctor. If you want to check out what he is saying try looking at the bibliography in his book. If there is any truth to what he says it will be in thoe sources he used to gather his information because he is not qualified to make scientific claims.

There was something interesting said by someone on a watch dog site about trudeau and his claims about the use of vineger to treat illness. Just for sakes say lets pretend that the entire medical field is part of a huge conspiracy to hide cures such as vinager to cure gheartburn. "If vinegar was effective against heartburn, wouldn't the companies that make vinegar be trying to promote it for that purpose?" Also one owuld think that if there ws anytruth to his book it would have been uncovered long before a proven con artist broke the story
Old 01-27-2006, 06:29 PM   #12
Seeker of Social Justice

LoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scaleLoneWolfBunn is off the scale
I'll be back with more evidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeshigaud
And how do you know it's true? I see no evidence backing up this claim...you have not identified where this information comes from.
(quoted from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acetaminophen/HO00002)

Overdoses are common

Partly because it is so easy to obtain, acetaminophen causes more overdoses and overdose deaths than any other drug in the United States. It's frequently the drug of choice for adolescent suicide attempts. Other overdoses occur simply because people underestimate or are unaware of acetaminophen's toxicity.

Acetaminophen can damage the livers of both adults and children...

Too much acetaminophen overloads the liver's ability to process the drug safely. Its toxic byproducts injure the liver, and kidney failure also can occur. A severe acetaminophen overdose can be fatal. Luckily, there is an antidote — called N-acetylcysteine (NAC) — but it must be administered within eight to 10 hours after an overdose has been ingested.

How overdoses occur

Serious cases of acetaminophen overdose occur when parents unwittingly give a child too much of the medicine. The symptoms of overdose — nausea, vomiting, stomachache — can be caused by so many common illnesses, it's often not apparent that the child needs emergency medical treatment.

Parents can make a variety of mistakes in the amount of acetaminophen they give their children. Some aren't satisfied with the performance of the recommended dosage of acetaminophen, and decide more will be better.

Even the children's versions of acetaminophen come in many different formulations, and the dosage varies for each one. For example, the infant drop formulation is three times as concentrated as the elixir or syrup typically given to toddlers.

It's easy to see how a busy parent might assume that both liquids contain the same amount of medicine. But substituting infant drops for syrup could result in a dose of acetaminophen three times what it should be."

(quoted from http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic819.htm)

"In acute overdose or when the maximum daily dose is exceeded over a prolonged period, the normal conjugative pathways of metabolism become saturated. Excess APAP is then oxidatively metabolized in the liver via the mixed function oxidase P450 system to a toxic metabolite, N-acetyl-p-benzoquinone-imine (NAPQI). NAPQI has an extremely short half-life and is rapidly conjugated with glutathione, a sulfhydryl donor, and is renally excreted. Under conditions of excessive NAPQI formation or reduced glutathione stores, NAPQI covalently binds to vital proteins and the lipid bilayer of hepatocyte membranes. The result is hepatocellular death and centrilobular liver necrosis."

(Quoted from medicinenet.com)

TUESDAY, May 3 (HealthDay News) -- Regular use of the over-the-counter painkiller acetaminophen (Tylenol) is associated with a greater risk of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and, if used daily, is associated with decreased lung function, a new study claims.

The results, combined with previous research findings, support the theory that the use of acetaminophen causes an increased risk of asthma with potential impact on both onset and the progression and severity of asthma, the authors concluded.

The findings appear in the May issue of the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.

(Quoted from http://www.hepfi.org/living/liv_two.html)

"Caution! Children and Acetaminophen

Most parents have a false sense of safety about medications for children purchased without a prescription and sold as a safe alternative to aspirin and other pain relievers. Unintentionally and unknowingly they can harm their own children with over-the-counter medications containing acetaminophen, the active ingredient in Tylenol, Anacin 3, and many other remedies.

The most recent figures from the American Association of Poison Control Centers show 71 serious acetaminophen poisoning incidents among children in 1994, with serious long term or life-threatening results in 10 of them. The Food and Drug Administration reports 13 deaths of children under 13 from acetaminophen poisoning between 1970 and 1991.

Acetaminophen can damage the liver and cause it to shut down, leading to permanent disability or death. When taken as directed, acetaminophen is a safe drug, says Rose Ann Soloway of the Poison Control Centers. However, medications must be given in the exact doses stated, and confusion commonly occurs when people don't realize that the Infant Tylenol, a concentrated liquid, is 3 times stronger than the children's strength, and that one should never be substituted for the other."
Old 01-28-2006, 02:14 AM   #13
Seeker of Social Justice

Finally 50% of the population is aware - guess which half

http://www.mercurypolicy.org/new/doc...inal061903.pdf

June 19, 2003 Release
Contact: Michael Bender, Mercury Policy Project, 802-223-9000
Canned Tuna Mercury Riskier Than Previously Suspected
Pregnant Women, Young Children Warned to Avoid Albacore
Montpelier,VT –- One of every 20 cans of "white," or albacore, tuna should be recalled as unsafe for human
consumption, according to independent testing conducted for the Mercury Policy Project, a public interest
group. On average, the levels of mercury in the white tuna were considerably higher than the industry and
government claims from outdated FDA tests, said Michael Bender, director of the project.
“Our tests confirm what FDA has known for over a decade; white tuna has higher mercury levels,”
said Bender. “Yet because FDA halted testing of canned tuna for mercury in 1998 to save money and
because industry keeps its results secret, parents are unknowingly exposing their children to mercury.”
Methylmercury— the organic form mercury assumes in fish— is a potent neurotoxin that poses the greatest
risk to the developing fetus, infants, and young children. Data from the CDC indicates that one in 12 women
of childbearing age have unsafe mercury levels, translating to over 300,000 babies born at risk each year.
"Our sample size was admittedly small," said Bender. “We chose 60 cans of tuna randomly off
grocery shelves, had them tested by the New Age/Landmark Laboratory, Inc. and then had a portion
retested by The National Food Laboratory, Inc.— a lab used by the tuna industry— so there is no reason to
be believe that these results are not reflective of what millions of Americans consume."
Canned tuna is consumed in 90 percent of American households and accounts for around 20 percent of US
seafood consumption. Children eat more than twice as much tuna as any other fish, and canned tuna is the
most frequently consumed fish among women of child bearing age. Albacore accounts for about one-third of
all canned tuna sold in the U.S. and our independent testing found that mercury levels in white canned tuna
averaged over 0.5 ppm.
“FDA’s own food safety committee recommended last year that the Agency warn pregnant women
about canned tuna, but the Agency has failed to act because of undue influence by industry,” said Bender.
“FDA should stop protecting the fishing industry’s profits and start protecting children from mercury.”
How much fish a person can eat before exceeding the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA’s)
“virtual safe limit,” called a reference dose (RfD), depends on body weight and mercury content of the fish.
For example:
· A 22 pound toddler eating only 2 ounces of tuna per week with a 0.5 ppm mercury concentration would
have an intake over 4 times the EPA’s RfD.
· If a woman with a typical weight of 132 lbs eats 12 ounces of canned tuna per week (the limit advised by
FDA) with a 0.5 ppm mercury concentration, she will exceed by 4 times the EPA's RfD.
· An 88 pound child consuming one 6 ounce can of tuna with a 0.5 ppm mercury concentration weekly
would be exposed to 3 times the EPA's RfD standard.

These concerns, however, pale in comparison to the risks of prenatal mercury exposure; in utero fetuses are at
risk of neurological impairment from methylmercury passing through the placental barrier. Nevertheless, at
their food safety committee meeting last year, FDA scientists admitted that as many as 50 percent of women
in the U.S. have little or no knowledge of mercury exposure risks identified with eating fish.
Cans of Starkist, Bumblebee, and Chicken of the Sea tuna and others were collected from Safeway, Shaw’s,
and other supermarkets around the country and sent to New Age/Landmark Laboratory in Benton Harbor,
Michigan. Then 20 percent of the white tuna samples were retested by The National Food Laboratory, Inc.
in Dublin, California. Over six percent of the white tuna samples contained mercury at or above FDA’s
outdated and unprotective action level for mercury of 1 part-per-million. On average, the 48 white tuna
samples proved to have levels of mercury over four-times higher than the 12 light tuna cans tested.
According to a tuna industry spokesperson, “extensive research” found that four percent of the tuna tested
exceeded the FDA’s action level of 1 ppm. A $1 billion per year industry, the U.S. tuna industry estimates
that warning women about the risks of mercury exposure in canned tuna could lead to over a 20 percent drop
in sales. After meeting with the tuna industry, FDA dropped canned tuna from its consumer advisory.
In the face of such FDA inaction, states and others are attempting to fill the void by embracing approaches
that are more restrictive than the FDA’s action level. Eleven states have issued advisories warning pregnant
women, nursing mothers, women of childbearing age and children to limit canned tuna consumption. Several
states also warn that the “white” canned tuna contains higher mercury levels than “light” tuna.
Most mercury pollution comes from the burning of fossil fuels in the coal-fired power plants, disposal of
mercury-containing products in incinerators and landfills, mineral mining operations, industrial uses like
chlorine production, and releases from dental offices. Mercury levels in the environment have increased 3-5
fold in the past century as a result of human activities and are reaching threshold levels that threaten human
health and environmental security, as well as the future of the global fishing industry. Since 1996, fish has
surpassed beef and poultry as the main common source of protein for billions of people in the world.
In February 2003, the UN Governing Council found that there was sufficient adverse impacts of global
mercury pollution to warrant international action.
###
Editor’s note: There is some ambiguity as to exactly what legal action is triggered by violation of the FDA “action level”
for mercury of 1 part per million. In 1977, FDA described an action level as a level of an added poisonous or
deleterious substance “established to define the level of contamination at which food will be deemed adulterated” and
as a level “which may prohibit any detectable amount of substance in food.” Under pressure from the commercial
fishing industry, FDA later amended that description of an action level’s effect, saying that that it was the amount of
adulteration at which a food may be regarded as adulterated. It was during this same period that FDA relaxed the
original mercury action level of 0.5 parts per million, doubling it to 1.0 ppm on the grounds that people were eating less
fish than it had originally believed. This decision followed the National Marine Fisheries Service’s conclusion that “[t]he
higher level would provide a significant economic benefit to those industries most seriously affected by regulatory
actions under the 0.5 ppm guideline.” Consumption data was reportedly supplied by industry. The agency also
established a standard that is consciously protective only of the general population (e.g. adults), not specific sensitive
subgroups most as risk, such as the developing fetus, infants and young children.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:35 AM   #14
Seeker of Social Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singerdad
As a member of the "corrupted native media" I must ask this...where is my kickback check from these corporate pharmaceutical companies?

Then I assume now that you are aware of some of the evidence, the native media you are involved with will use their resources to inform First Nations of these dangers. Or are there still more deals with the corporate devil that needs coverage first?

If you get the time please post which native media will be covering these serious issues.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:58 AM   #15
Seeker of Social Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydazy
If there is any truth to what he says it will be in thoe sources he used to gather his information because he is not qualified to make scientific claims.

There was something interesting said by someone on a watch dog site about trudeau and his claims about the use of vineger to treat illness. Just for sakes say lets pretend that the entire medical field is part of a huge conspiracy to hide cures such as vinager to cure gheartburn. "If vinegar was effective against heartburn, wouldn't the companies that make vinegar be trying to promote it for that purpose?" Also one owuld think that if there ws anytruth to his book it would have been uncovered long before a proven con artist broke the story
First I should just mention that I have never read "Cures they don't want you to know about". Not because I have bought into the idea that Trudeau is a con artist but because of the difficulty in getting the book. Like anyone who stands against coruption it is only a matter of time before there will be attempts to blacken his name.

At this point they cannot just imprison him like Peltier or assasinate him like Kennedy. It would be too obvious. So at this point the best they can do is use smear campaigns and use peoples fear of being conned.

With unlimited resources do you think the pharmaceutical corporations will just sit back and allow this guy to endanger their thriving multibillion dollar industry? They will and have been doing everything in their power to stop him.
Fortunately he now has support from celebrities and philanthropist billionaires. Which is likely how he managed to find the "loopholes" in the law to be allowed to do his work.
If he was a con artist and he was doing this for the money why would he begin to sell his book at near cost prices? I say it is because he finally can afford to do so. In the beginning the books were in the area of $50. At the moment he is selling them for $14.99 with a CD and a monthly newsletters with updates and new findings of studies. No con artist would do this.

And these supposed "watch dog" sites. Where are the watch dog sites that protect the common public from serious health dangers? Well, they exist but are rarely heard of because they do not have the financial backing of sites that protect the interest of corrupt businesses. All they have to do is spread a rumour far enouph that a corruption fighter is a con artist and it is considered fact. They don't even need evidence.

"If vinegar was effective against heartburn, wouldn't the companies that make vinegar be trying to promote it for that purpose?"
Such a small amount of vinegar is used that there would be no benefit to promote using it for heartburn. Vinegar happens to be the best window cleaner in the world. Because vinegar companies do not promote that use does not mean it isn't a good window cleaner.

"...he is not qualified to make scientific claims."
He never fails to mention that he is not a doctor but the studies he quotes and backs his information with are from scientists and doctors.

Fortunately for me in previous years I have been doing my work anonamously. It was only finding out that contraversial subjects cannot be published by annonamous writers that has brought me to use my real name. I am familiar with the hardships involved in this type of work and I know there is no financial benefit. For anyone out there that chooses to expose corruption be prepared for the day you too will be branded a con artist or worse.
Old 01-28-2006, 10:23 AM   #16
Kiowakat's #1 fan

Bravo LoneWolfBunn, and again my appologies for even bringing Trudeau's name in, it seems to be sidetracking the point of the thread, regardless of him being right or wrong. I think public awareness is definately needed for such common drugs as tylenol. This would probably help many use the medication wisely and not over do it to cause such problems. But then again , what do the creators of such drugs care. They sell their stock interest in the drug long before it becomes found to be a potential health problem.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:54 PM   #17
Junior Dancer

Quote:
First I should just mention that I have never read "Cures they don't want you to know about". Not because I have bought into the idea that Trudeau is a con artist but because of the difficulty in getting the book. Like anyone who stands against coruption it is only a matter of time before there will be attempts to blacken his name.

At this point they cannot just imprison him like Peltier or assasinate him like Kennedy. It would be too obvious. So at this point the best they can do is use smear campaigns and use peoples fear of being conned.

With unlimited resources do you think the pharmaceutical corporations will just sit back and allow this guy to endanger their thriving multibillion dollar industry? They will and have been doing everything in their power to stop him.
Fortunately he now has support from celebrities and philanthropist billionaires. Which is likely how he managed to find the "loopholes" in the law to be allowed to do his work.
If he was a con artist and he was doing this for the money why would he begin to sell his book at near cost prices? I say it is because he finally can afford to do so. In the beginning the books were in the area of $50. At the moment he is selling them for $14.99 with a CD and a monthly newsletters with updates and new findings of studies. No con artist would do this.

And these supposed "watch dog" sites. Where are the watch dog sites that protect the common public from serious health dangers? Well, they exist but are rarely heard of because they do not have the financial backing of sites that protect the interest of corrupt businesses. All they have to do is spread a rumour far enouph that a corruption fighter is a con artist and it is considered fact. They don't even need evidence.

"If vinegar was effective against heartburn, wouldn't the companies that make vinegar be trying to promote it for that purpose?"
Such a small amount of vinegar is used that there would be no benefit to promote using it for heartburn. Vinegar happens to be the best window cleaner in the world. Because vinegar companies do not promote that use does not mean it isn't a good window cleaner.

"...he is not qualified to make scientific claims."
He never fails to mention that he is not a doctor but the studies he quotes and backs his information with are from scientists and doctors.

Fortunately for me in previous years I have been doing my work anonamously. It was only finding out that contraversial subjects cannot be published by annonamous writers that has brought me to use my real name. I am familiar with the hardships involved in this type of work and I know there is no financial benefit. For anyone out there that chooses to expose corruption be prepared for the day you too will be branded a con artist or worse.
I think tghat you are carrying this conspiracy theory too far. Please tell me that you are joking. I doubt that the only person in the whole world who is capable of uncovering this medical conspiracy is some guy who who needs to resort to selling his findings on late niight tv - the same guy who not too long ago claimed to have the secret to enhanced memory. I am sure that there are some medical conspiracies out their and there are kick backs out there for sure but PLEASE don't attempt in anyway to try to suggest that it is this wide spead or that there is only one guy and yourself who are fighting to uncover them.
Old 01-28-2006, 06:03 PM   #18
Junior Dancer

on a final note: If we are to get back to the original post of thios thread and to my initial response. You are right Tylenol is poison (all drugs are) and it is harmful (again all drugs are). You must remember however that we as consumers and parent bear some responsibility. If used properly Tylenol is effective in doing what it is supposed to do but we must use it with caution and we must use it only when needed. We are an overmedicated society, we want a pill for everything. Whenj I was reaising mine I used tylenol only when I needed to. Fevers are far more dangerous than tylenol (remember when used properly and not in excess).
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #19
powwow bum

ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,659.73
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
(quoted from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/acetaminophen/HO00002)

Overdoses are common

Partly because it is so easy to obtain, acetaminophen causes more overdoses and overdose deaths than any other drug in the United States. It's frequently the drug of choice for adolescent suicide attempts. Other overdoses occur simply because people underestimate or are unaware of acetaminophen's toxicity.

Acetaminophen can damage the livers of both adults and children...

Too much acetaminophen overloads the liver's ability to process the drug safely. Its toxic byproducts injure the liver, and kidney failure also can occur. A severe acetaminophen overdose can be fatal."
Of course an overdose can be fatal. You can overdose on anything. The key to using medication is that you need to use the CORRECT dose and not abuse it. Tylenol for children should only be used when it is neccessary...not because you want your child to sleep.
ndngirl70 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #20
Seeker of Social Justice

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydazy
Fevers are far more dangerous than tylenol (remember when used properly and not in excess).

Actually, recent studies have shown that the fear of fevers is far greater than necessary. The cases of children dieing or getting brain damage from fever are very rare. Cases of children dieing from being given too much of this "medicine" is much more common.
Fevers is one of the body's methods of ridding itself of viruses. Viruses do not cope as well as white blood cells in higher temperatures.
Lowering the body temperature only acts to give viruses a fighting chance.
This is not my opinion but a fact that has been proven by scientists. If you would like me to show you the studies I will have to say "do a little research yourself before you ask me to prove that E=mc sq when it is already an established fact."
Sponsored Links