Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles" "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 AM   #21
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
contemptradish is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjoejimbob

The question is...why not just say CHEROKEE? Why do people have to use 1/4 or 1/8 when they mention their tribe? When I hear people say 1/8 or 1/4 it makes me NOT believe them as much.
Yeah, what's with that?? Why can't this guy be proud of being 7/8 white?! Now that's a believable percentage!!

hahaha
Old 01-02-2007, 02:30 AM   #22
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 100,184.91
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by contemptradish
Yeah, what's with that?? Why can't this guy be proud of being 7/8 white?! Now that's a believable percentage!!

hahaha

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 05:16 AM   #23
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb

That's really Heavy Duty Man!!! Ho Wah!!!!

I'm almost at a loss for words here, which is rare thing for this skin... But All I have to say is that:

It is dishonorable to get feathers in that manner. That is bad medicine. Feathers are earned or inherited.

That article made me aggravated then sad...

It was an interesting read and it needs to be spread.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:16 AM   #24
Senior Dancer

trob226 is a splendid one to beholdtrob226 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 82.00
Quote:

The question is...why not just say CHEROKEE? Why do people have to use 1/4 or 1/8 when they mention their tribe? When I hear people say 1/8 or 1/4 it makes me NOT believe them as much.
Disclosure. If somebody just said Cherokee and left out the fact that they were 1/8 or 1/4 only, and you later found that out, wouldn't you feel misled? Besides, it can be complicated being mixed blood - always having to explain to the Indians about the non-Indian ways you have and explaining to the non-Indians about the Indian ways you have and all of them looking at you like you're touched in the head. You just get into the habit of describing your lineage up front to save yourself the aggravation later.
trob226 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM   #25
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
good point.

well, we can just use the "dont askk, dont tell" POV. seems to work in the armed forces.....or does it?

As a white guy, I dont really care about someones percentage. I would assume NDNs feel the opposite. All I care about is that you arent spreading false facts or using your status to gain anything.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 08:11 PM   #26
Senior Dancer

Quote:
good point.

All I care about is that you arent spreading false facts or using your status to gain anything.
Yep, that's pretty much what matters.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:15 PM   #27
Tiny Tot Dancer

Sahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond reputeSahnish has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,997.42
"Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles".

Pow Wow's aren't the biggest killer of eagles. People are the biggest killer of eagles. People with no traditions. Among the traditional people on the plains, eagle feathers are earned for acts of bravery. Maybe we need to start calling on those people wearing those feathers and have them tell their stories of bravery to the people, like the veteran's do when they pick up a feather.

Now that would be interesting to hear.

"There is nothing more dangerous than ignorance in action."
Sahnish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #28
Junior Dancer

contemptradish is a jewel in the rough
sorry, can't stop jokin'

Ok, so what would REALLY be funny is to bring up the folks in turkey and pigeon feather bustles and ask them how they earned THOSE little beauties!!! haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahnish
Pow Wow's aren't the biggest killer of eagles. People are the biggest killer of eagles. People with no traditions. Among the traditional people on the plains, eagle feathers are earned for acts of bravery. Maybe we need to start calling on those people wearing those feathers and have them tell their stories of bravery to the people, like the veteran's do when they pick up a feather.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:31 PM   #29
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahnish

I like it.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #30
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by contemptradish
Ok, so what would REALLY be funny is to bring up the folks in turkey and pigeon feather bustles and ask them how they earned THOSE little beauties!!! haha

I can picture it now:

Someone comes up to the microphone and announces his name as chief of the XXX nation. He then proceeds to tell of the bravery he has in rescuing the feathers from a lowlife grubby guy who had them in a paper bag. He rescued them at a great cost. 20 bucks a feather. Yea RIGHT!!!!!!!! SURE!!!!

Then there's the guy who will proudly announces that his eagle feathers on his bustle are "genuine immatation hand painted eagle feathers" Blessed be the turkey who gave his life for those eagle feathers. The turkey tasted great too! LOL!!!

Now with the funny stuff out of the way. I have some great feathers for sale. Bright yellow and green. My canary feathers make a great bustle for a G.I. Joe doll.

Most kids have toy circus stuff and cowboy and indian stuff. Why can't our kids have toy powwow stuff to play with.

Hey! It's only fair.

Oops!!! I shouldn't have said anything until I got the patent on the idea. Matel Toys may be watching.

Any Hoo...... Anyone who sells eagle anything should scalped then shot at sunset. WoW!!! What a great opening to a 49

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-04-2007, 10:29 AM   #31
Senior Dancer

Indian Barbie at Powwow! High-heeled moccasins! It'll sell! But probably not to Indian kids.
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 PM   #32
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226
Indian Barbie at Powwow! High-heeled moccasins! It'll sell! But probably not to Indian kids.
You are correct! It will never sell to ndn kids. They are a little too smart for that one! LOL!

On the other hand there was once an NDN Barbie that I did date for a while in high school. Ah.... the good old days!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #33
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions
You are correct! It will never sell to ndn kids. They are a little too smart for that one! LOL!

On the other hand there was once an NDN Barbie that I did date for a while in high school. Ah.... the good old days!
Did she wear high heeled moccasins? Sorry, just the thought of those has my imagination running wild. Fully beaded spike heals.....
Old 01-04-2007, 05:21 PM   #34
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226
Did she wear high heeled moccasins? Sorry, just the thought of those has my imagination running wild. Fully beaded spike heals.....
With her figure and her taste in clothing, she could have gotten away with fully beaded heals back in the late 60s early 70s. The last time I saw Barb was at my 30yr high school reunion. She still looks yummy!

Old 01-10-2007, 02:56 PM   #35
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Isn't it...

Absolutely ridiculous when a dancer adorns himself with more feathers then the bird? Some bustles i've seen are pathetic.....Hey 2 each their own....I prefer older styles....Oh and it's not just eagles being poached....It boils down to the individual though....How can you "blame" or accuse the Dance? I suppose next we'll hear a number of other doings are contributing to the demise of something....Folks should be careful on both sides of the fence....Who ya gonna trust?
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #36
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,753.57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House
....It boils down to the individual though....How can you "blame" or accuse the Dance? I suppose next we'll hear a number of other doings are contributing to the demise of something....Folks should be careful on both sides of the fence....Who ya gonna trust?

Yote,

You made some good points.

I have been sitting on this one (article) for a while.

In looking at the other side of the fence...

"America did not have eagle conservation problems before EuroAmerican westward expansion."

Indian people the main eagle killers? Duh???? I don't think so. Putting the deaths of eagles today, into perspective....

"Most eagles are killed from powerlines, poisons, netting, road kills and captivity in zoos."
Old 01-15-2007, 01:55 PM   #37
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Nothing wrong with a good convo....

But c'mon.....? I ignored this thread for sometime....out of "assuming" it was ridiculous....Ironically their will be people out there who fantasize it though....If Powwows or Skins are the greatest killers of Eagles...Well I suppose Wolves are responsible for the depletion of Caribou herds up North? In acuality the Wolf saves the herd by hunting or eliminating weak or diseased Caribou....Now I certainly don't condone poaching and yes it does exist, but as usual Who Me set it straight.....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Old 01-15-2007, 10:38 PM   #38
Fat Singer

billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
billyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond reputebillyjoejimbob has a reputation beyond repute
Im hungry. Im gonna poach a pizza right now.
Really smart people who think they are smart.
billyjoejimbob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM   #39
BOULDERDASH!

Yeah U look HUNGRY!

Quote:
Im hungry. Im gonna poach a pizza right now.
Happy Poaching....
Old 01-16-2007, 08:47 PM   #40
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,820.15
:tapedshut

Poaching Pizzas is illegal in most states !
I'm turnin' you in to the pizza repository !
The Italians are going to be very upset with you !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links