Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles" "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #81
Banned

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
othellobloke is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Around this rez up in Northwestern Ontario... those looking for eagle feathers go out in the forest/bush to where their nests are and pick up ones they find fallen to the ground.

Why can't that happen anywhere else?
othellobloke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 PM   #82
catfish: food of the gods

StereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 875.03
Savings: 1.00
Because people are too impatient. And it sucks for us non registered natives too, cuz evfen if we find the feather on the ground we can still face jailtime and fines if we're caught with them.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:42 PM   #83
Teen Dancer

Tom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Legal Stuff

NativeProud and others,

Actually even if you were FED, you still need documentation of the feathers. This is the LAW. Unfortunatley, many have never really read the law - either the Migratory Bird Act or the Eagle Protection Act or other Animal Protection Acts.

They are very long and very complicated in wording (lots of legal verbatim). But it clearly states that any and all Animal Parts must be documented for use (Biological, Religous, Educational or whatever) AND this includes the need for documentation even by BIA Native Americans.

The State and Federal offices rarely pursue one that is FED because of the long crap it may entail - BUT that does not mean that they will not and they have many times.

Many "BIA Indians" think they are protected just because of the BIA status they hold. But that "BIA CARD" is not a blanket to have Animal Parts that are protected.
Tom Iron Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007, 08:51 AM   #84
Powwow Dude

Items DevilUser Name Style ChangeUser Title Style Change
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,041.53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Iron Eagle View Post
NativeProud and others,

Actually even if you were FED, you still need documentation of the feathers. This is the LAW. Unfortunately, many have never really read the law - either the Migratory Bird Act or the Eagle Protection Act or other Animal Protection Acts.

They are very long and very complicated in wording (lots of legal verbatim). But it clearly states that any and all Animal Parts must be documented for use (Biological, Religious, Educational or whatever) AND this includes the need for documentation even by BIA Native Americans.

The State and Federal offices rarely pursue one that is FED because of the long crap it may entail - BUT that does not mean that they will not and they have many times.

Many "BIA Indians" think they are protected just because of the BIA status they hold. But that "BIA CARD" is not a blanket to have Animal Parts that are protected.
It use to be a serious pain in the *** to apply for and receive Feathers.
Well I am here to tell you it is no longer true
The forms are on line you download them and fill them out
You only have to get certification from your tribe of record just once after that they are on file with the Eagle Permit Office
Actually it is just a question of time
I applied in Sept 2005 and received my Eagle Wings in Oct2006
Of course I only wanted to make a fan
I am told the Whole bird can take several years!
After receiving the wings I have reapplied for a Tail set and should get them after another years wait.
The point is this, it does not take much time and energy to fill out the paperwork and send it in. After you receive your Feathers you have documentation which you are to carry with you while the fan is in your possession.
I have made several copies and have them in several locations
Easy peesy

Forms: http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-15.pdf
http://www.fws.gov/permits/forms/eaglereligious.pdf

Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 AM   #85
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,806.15
Josiah , That's great on the wing set , but you may be mistaken on the time issue for a tail set.....
I was told , by the guys at the repository , that a whole tail would take as long to get as a whole bird. Now , this may have changed since I ordered last. I ordered another wing set last Feb. and I expect to get it in March. You can order 20 misc. feathers(which is whatever they send) and the wait is about 90 days. 10 select (which is 8 wing and 2 tail)and the wait is 120 days (6 months) , a wing set about a year , and a whole tail or a whole bird in about 3 years. Now this is what Dennis at the repository told me , last time I spoke with him. You can also add parts , ie: head , feet , to any order except a whole bird.

For your sake I hope it's changed and you can get a tail in a year ! If so that'll be my next order ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 AM   #86
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 47,806.15
Josiah , That's great on the wing set , but you may be mistaken on the time issue for a tail set.....
I was told , by the guys at the repository , that a whole tail would take as long to get as a whole bird. Now , this may have changed since I ordered last. I ordered another wing set last Feb. and I expect to get it in March. You can order 20 misc. feathers(which is whatever they send) and the wait is about 90 days. 10 select (which is 8 wing and 2 tail)and the wait is 120 days (6 months) , a wing set about a year , and a whole tail or a whole bird in about 3 years. Now this is what Dennis at the repository told me , last time I spoke with him. You can also add parts , ie: head , feet , to any order except a whole bird.

For your sake I hope it's changed and you can get a tail in a year ! If so that'll be my next order ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-08-2007, 06:35 PM   #87

StereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond reputeStereoTypicalHarley has a reputation beyond repute
It just amazes me how the government can basically keep us from performing our "religion", because THEY killed all the animals.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #88
Banned

Creewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to beholdCreewoman05 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeproud View Post
It just amazes me how the government can basically keep us from performing our "religion", because THEY killed all the animals.
Ain't that the truth.... I have to say that I agree with you in that aspect.
Creewoman05 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2007, 05:27 PM   #89
Powwow Dude

Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Josiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond reputeJosiah has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post

Too funny!!!
Right after I posted that ,I went back and reread the document and found toward the bottom the wait times and realized it would be 3 years and discovered that I could have ordered 10 feather sets!!!
I will be making a phone call Monday to see if it is possible to change my order
Oh well if not I have 2 more years to wait :(
Old 09-11-2007, 02:12 PM   #90
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where ever there are babies or children you can find me
Credits: 8,331.92
I have had quit a few friends order Eagles from the Repository. Most of them tell me the same thing. It takes about 4 years for the full Eagle. And many of them got the same phone call in three years saying that there was a bald Eagle available for them if they wanted that instead of the Golden, it depends on which one that you want. Some did, other's did not. I know that if you go to the BIA office on your res. that they will give you the paperwork and I believe that they will help you fill it out, or fill it out for you and then you just sign it. I know someone who did this at least they did for the person that I know. I have another friend about to order theirs and they are asking me to help them. Not that I can do all that much, but that's okay.LOL
timmy tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #91

Haven't we learned our lesson about letting reservation agents write things and just signing them?? :)
Old 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM   #92
Head Dancer

Items Cake
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
timmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond reputetimmy tiger has a reputation beyond repute
What are you talking about? The person themselves would sign it, not the agents. It's a standard form not a written agreement. I have an idea on what you are talking about, but that really is totally different then what this was. This is someone who wants to obtain their Eagle and it's a standard form for everyone, not a form sent out that says that you will give up something on the res in return for that service.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:27 PM   #93

It was a joke. I hate it when people over analyse things.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #94
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Young man, I am a long way out of high School and at the time that I read your post I was under the weather and confused. Don't talk to me about over analysing anything unless you really want me to analyse something and I could.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM   #95

I meant no disrespect, but if you have something to say, go ahead
Old 09-12-2007, 11:04 PM   #96
Powwow Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
Young man, I am a long way out of high School and at the time that I read your post I was under the weather and confused. Don't talk to me about over analysing anything unless you really want me to analyse something and I could.
Quote:
It was a joke. I hate it when people over analyse things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy tiger View Post
What are you talking about? The person themselves would sign it, not the agents. It's a standard form not a written agreement. I have an idea on what you are talking about, but that really is totally different then what this was. This is someone who wants to obtain their Eagle and it's a standard form for everyone, not a form sent out that says that you will give up something on the res in return for that service.
Quote:
Haven't we learned our lesson about letting reservation agents write things and just signing them?? :)
Quote:
I meant no disrespect, but if you have something to say, go ahead
Here are the forms I posted on this thread you dont anyone to help you fill them out you just fill them out and send them in and a few years later you have feathers and the documents to back them up
Easy peesy

Forms: http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-15.pdf
http://www.fws.gov/permits/forms/eaglereligious.pdf

Old 09-12-2007, 11:11 PM   #97
Head Dancer

Items Cake
Josiah: Thanks I really needed those forms for a friend. Some people aren't sure until they actually see the documents, so they ask me to look at them first. One of my friends is wanting me to get these for them and give them to them this weekend. That's great and very helpful. Thanks again. I will pass them on.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:27 PM   #98

Like I said, say what you have to say timmy tiger.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:01 PM   #99
Loving Life

RainbowSpiriDancer is a name known to all
Credits: 200.00
[QUOTE=billyjoejimbob;844415]Not a racist remark, just an observation. It seems that (from my POV) the people with less NDN blood to none are the ones who speak about things the most when it comes to certain things, especially when they shouldn't.[QUOTE]

You know billyjoejimbob, I heard an Indian Elder say the same thing at a pow-wow. She said that it's the mixed bloods that raise sand and complain about other people who want to embrace their Indian heritage and BELONG.
RainbowSpiriDancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #100
Pow Wow Visitor

absolutely gorgeous is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool At least 19 bald eagles die in Alaska

yahoo site: At least 19 bald eagles die in Alaska - Yahoo! News

People, industry, profit - kill eagles. The by - products of people and the present day (and accumulated past industrial societies) kill eagles.

People with no respect kill eagles, hawk, badgers, ermine, and all kinds of living four footed, two footed creatures - for no better reason than the human is uncaring about themselves, the natural world, and the creature they kill. When I see senseless death, I think of what my elders spoke to me... 'what goes around comes around'... we are going to get back all the disrespect we feed out to the world.

A couple of years ago, I felt supremely blessed to have seen a golden eagle that had been killed by a fast semi... and I picked up it poor broken body. It was beautiful and I wept for its death. Only a few days before I had seen this same eagle flying over the Yellowstone River.

Greed and disrespect have put into place the the whole idea behinid the repository. And as the pitiful human beings are in this present day world, we cannot govern ourself and the natural world to the natural world's benefit.
absolutely gorgeous is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links