Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree1Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles" "Powwows are the biggest killer of eagles"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #141
i invented chicken dance

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
t-bone509 is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
it come down to the old sayin if people are gonna buy em then people are gonna sell em...cant do a damn thing about!!
t-bone509 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #142
Pow Wow Visitor

April.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond reputeApril.M has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 593.44
Just an observation...

In Canada, eagles are an absolute nuisance animal. They're like crows or vultures here. Very plentiful.

Eagles in the US are also no longer endangered and are coming back in mass -- here in Indiana we even have them flying along Eagle Creek and White River which hasn't happened in decades.

With that in mind -- whether you think you should earn it or its okay to buy one -- the issue of the black market for eagles doesn't seem to be impacting the eagles recovery very much. It's certainly wrong but to blame PowWows... I would think fisheries and landowners kill more themselves (through licenses or illegally) than are killed for the black market.

But that's just my opinion. To blame one group... really.
April.M is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-13-2013, 03:07 AM   #143
Listen to the Wind

Pete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 695.20
Simply put, there are not enough eagles in the world to accommodate NA's as far as their attire is concerned. Such as a head piece for example. I am torn between what's right as far as ones culture and that of the fact we need to conserve our eagles. They are sacred creatures which hold a special place among all NA's and to abuse them for even their feathers is not a wise or practical way of dealing with the issue. As in......where does one get these feathers from if they cannot get them from an actual eagle? Well,
that is a difficult question to answer for sure. I happen to like eagles very much and anyone who kills them simply for their feathers is not a decent human being in my opinion. So what do we do? Do we opt for fake feathers? Ones man made that look so real, one cannot tell they are fake. Or do we just not have them at all and instead use a variety of bird more plentiful in numbers. The OP title is actually rather
odious. I mean think about it. On any given day, how many NA's have head pieces adorned with multiple amounts of eagle feathers in this country? How many tribes are their that use eagle feathers? How many nations? So perhaps its true, maybe our powwows are the biggest killers of eagles. If true, we are in need of a way to deal with this. Since NA's have long claimed to be one with this land and its animals, we need to learn how to evolve as far as the use of animals are concerned. As I stated above, eagles are not exactly in great supply and I cannot myself, condone the killing of an eagle simply for its feathers. I cannot do that.
I do understand the significance of eagle feathers being used in tribal ceremonies, but we need to look ahead and think logically about this. Are we guilty of killing the very things we so treasure? If so, then what do we propose to do about it?

horse
Pete walkswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 01:27 PM   #144
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,913.54
Quote:
Originally Posted by anishinabealltheway View Post
I have never heard of the ''kill a bird for religious purposes permit" anyone else???

Any NDN I know would be furious to hear that someone has killed one of our messengers, and might kill the person that did it. lol

I support all laws regarding this issue and would be quick to turn in anyone that I knew committed such an act.

Anywayz here's another link.http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/eagleslaughter/

It's about a year old but it's because of things like this that stories get written and I think they should.
I just read the article about eagle murders I just felt sick when seen the head of eagle.
OK Niji we are running a train with red over yellow at this powwow.
White Powwow Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM   #145
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 48,765.20
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete walkswithhorse View Post
Simply put, there are not enough eagles in the world to accommodate NA's as far as their attire is concerned.

I respectfully disagree ! It just an issue for those who do not wait to get them legally !

I happen to like eagles very much and anyone who kills them simply for their feathers is not a decent human being in my opinion.
That , I can agree with !

So what do we do? Do we opt for fake feathers? Ones man made that look so real, one cannot tell they are fake.

There is no honor in that. As an individual, you would know, whether anyone else could tell or not. Could you live without the self respect ?

Or do we just not have them at all and instead use a variety of bird more plentiful in numbers.

Why ? really , there are enough Eagles ! They have been taken off the endangered list. Everywhere they are thriving.

The OP title is actually rather
odious. I mean think about it. On any given day, how many NA's have head pieces adorned with multiple amounts of eagle feathers in this country? How many tribes are their that use eagle feathers? How many nations?

Most....

So perhaps its true, maybe our powwows are the biggest killers of eagles. If true, we are in need of a way to deal with this.

Go after the black market feather industry. Make penalties more harsh, fines higher , jail terms longer.

Since NA's have long claimed to be one with this land and its animals, we need to learn how to evolve as far as the use of animals are concerned. As I stated above, eagles are not exactly in great supply and I cannot myself, condone the killing of an eagle simply for its feathers. I cannot do that.

Very few would condone the wanton killing of eagles, but just like the recent rash of shootings , it's not the law abiding Indians that are killing them. It's the black market. All those who can't get them legally so they buy them.....and they've already lost their honor.....but like said above in another post , as long as someone will sell , someone will buy.....let's go after them !
I do understand the significance of eagle feathers being used in tribal ceremonies, but we need to look ahead and think logically about this. Are we guilty of killing the very things we so treasure?

No

If so, then what do we propose to do about it?

horse
I think it's being done. Enforcement is up.I hear about more and more spot checks at powwows. Some 'known' dancers geting busted for selling them.

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #146
Listen to the Wind

Pete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond reputePete walkswithhorse has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 695.20
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I think it's being done. Enforcement is up.I hear about more and more spot checks at powwows. Some 'known' dancers geting busted for selling them.

Thanks wardancer

I do realize some of my postings may not be accurate or reflect on current events with regards to this issue.

Its good to see some form of enforcement here so those that want eagle feathers legally can continue to
get the,

BTW Question for you. How many feathers does the average head dress normally require? I mean is there a certain amount or is this merely a personal choice. I have only been to two powwows in my entire life (sad) and the pieces I observed the dancers wearing varied......Anyway just curious. Thanks horse
Pete walkswithhorse is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #147
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete walkswithhorse View Post
BTW Question for you. How many feathers does the average head dress normally require? I mean is there a certain amount or is this merely a personal choice. I have only been to two powwows in my entire life (sad) and the pieces I observed the dancers wearing varied......Anyway just curious. Thanks horse

I can't say for sure as I've never built a 'head dress'. I suppose it would be personal choice, and style of head dress....a stand-up bonnet as opposed to a Sioux style w/trailer....could be a big difference.But really , you don't see too many bonnets in powwow land .

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #148
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14

Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife need your help:

On January 9th 2013 four dead eagles were discovered floating in a lake outside of Granite Falls in Snohomish County, Washington. The four eagles were retrieved by officers on January 10th. Initial observations suggests at least three of the birds were killed using a small caliber rifle. It appears that the birds had been perched in trees before they fell to their death into the water. Bald eagles are protected under state and federal law. The federal violation for killing an eagle is a Class A misdemeanor. It is also a state crime with a maximum penalty of $1,000 and 90 days in jail. Also, under state law, $2000 per eagle killed is assessed upon conviction. WDFW, Humane Society of the United States, and Conservation Northwest have collaborated to offer up to $3,750 cash reward. In order to qualify for the total amount, the information must lead to an arrest and conviction. Anyone with information related to this egregious act is encouraged to call the Fish and Wildife Police on our TIP line at 1.877.933.9847 or email us at [email protected]. Information will be treated confidentially.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/enforcement/repor...iolations.html

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #149
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post

On January 9th 2013 four dead eagles were discovered floating in a lake outside of Granite Falls in Snohomish County, Washington. The four eagles were retrieved by officers on January 10th. Initial observations suggests at least three of the birds were killed using a small caliber rifle. It appears that the birds had been perched in trees before they fell to their death into the water. Bald eagles are protected under state and federal law. The federal violation for killing an eagle is a Class A misdemeanor. It is also a state crime with a maximum penalty of $1,000 and 90 days in jail. Also, under state law, $2000 per eagle killed is assessed upon conviction. WDFW, Humane Society of the United States, and Conservation Northwest have collaborated to offer up to $3,750 cash reward. In order to qualify for the total amount, the information must lead to an arrest and conviction. Anyone with information related to this egregious act is encouraged to call the Fish and Wildife Police on our TIP line at 1.877.933.9847 or email us at [email protected]. Information will be treated confidentially.

Makes you wonder if more were killed and these are the ones they couldn't get collected ! Hmmmm.... I hope they catch the one that did it.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 01-17-2013, 05:36 PM   #150
Biboon omaa

White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
White Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Powwow Dancer has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian View Post

WTF Man that just sick!! they should be put to death for murdering a eagle.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #151
Biboon omaa

Here is the latest report about eagle murders in washington state go to http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/187453351.html for the info and they just up reward to 13,750 dollars for the murderers.
I just found a story on msnbc about eagle killings here is the info go to http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...tate-lake?lite for the info.

Last edited by White Powwow Dancer; 01-18-2013 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: More info
Old 07-30-2015, 03:00 AM   #152
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 04-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #153
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
I still say powwows are NOT the biggest killers of eagles ! The Repository wait list for Bald Eagles is minimal ! A set of wings used to be a year , now it's a month. A whole bird used to take 3-5 years , now it's 11 months. Goldens still have terribly long waits. Just saw this. Seems the black market is going strong !

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/2099727...th-dakota.html
windanncer likes this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Sponsored Links