Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues preschool lesson plans needed preschool lesson plans needed

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2004, 06:51 AM   #21
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
lightening_woman can only hope to improve
Credits: 731.00
Savings: 0.00
preschool lesson plans

I have to do these plans for a class in college but, I have had three headstart teachers want to copy these plans for use in there classrooms this next year that are not native american. I have my own (families) props items to do this in a classroom but I am looking for ideas to help these others teachers. Since this is northern ohio there are not many native american's here to ask to come to a classroom for demonstations.
I have three more days to get ideas to put together these plans. WE have to use items that children can bring from home to do these different areas at school as well, as at home. My teacher knows that I am posting this on the internet and I am to include this in my assignment.
The ideas on necklaces for color patterns was good for the math. I am burning cd's for these teachers to use of our own drum for the music. I am giving them some seed to grow bird houses seed to make rattles for the music. For the dramatic play area I have made a simple traditional dress for the girls, a simple bustle for the boys.
Remember these are the areas that I need to cover:
Art, cooking, Dramatic play, resource people, fingerplays, large muscle, math, music, sensory activity, social studies.
And reember that they are 3-5 year old.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #22
SaPoNi4LiFe

SaponiMami is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Talk to them about powwows and stuff... show them pictures of powwos and all... and make them some good ol' frybread:o)
SaponiMami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2004, 12:12 PM   #23
SaPoNi4LiFe

SaponiMami is a jewel in the rough
oops i ment this smiley! :6: lol
SaponiMami is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2004, 05:28 PM   #24
Dineth Hearth Throth

BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
BurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond reputeBurBz has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 22.00
Savings: 1.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightening_woman
I have to do these plans for a class in college but, I have had three headstart teachers want to copy these plans for use in there classrooms this next year that are not native american. I have my own (families) props items to do this in a classroom but I am looking for ideas to help these others teachers. Since this is northern ohio there are not many native american's here to ask to come to a classroom for demonstations.
I have three more days to get ideas to put together these plans. WE have to use items that children can bring from home to do these different areas at school as well, as at home. My teacher knows that I am posting this on the internet and I am to include this in my assignment.
The ideas on necklaces for color patterns was good for the math. I am burning cd's for these teachers to use of our own drum for the music. I am giving them some seed to grow bird houses seed to make rattles for the music. For the dramatic play area I have made a simple traditional dress for the girls, a simple bustle for the boys.
Remember these are the areas that I need to cover:
Art, cooking, Dramatic play, resource people, fingerplays, large muscle, math, music, sensory activity, social studies.
And reember that they are 3-5 year old.
Sorry we are not of much to help to you....don't put your discourage on us. :) Its all about being creative and finding creative ways to teach these young children, even with "limited resources" because there are hardly any "native americans living in ohio". Be creative! The teachers need to be creative too! Its all about trying to teach these young kids how to start and learn their creative ways of thinking.
BurBz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2004, 07:41 PM   #25
Tiny Tot Dancer

One who seeks is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 527.00
I work in with 2 and 3 year olds, and I have struggeled with this also. The other teachers always want to do this theme at Thanksgiving, and make teepees and feather head dresses! Yikes!

I have never done anything great in this area, but I have done a thing or two.

Get a big box for a longhouse. We took newsprint and painted it, cut it into large squares and glued it to the box, like bark.

Play some drum music and have them dance. They could maybe do a round dance.

We have a small hand drum. I took it in and beat the drum to the syllables in their names. This helps with phonological awareness.

My favorite NA book is "Baby Rattlesnake." There are a lot of ways to stretch this story! Go to your local library and look around -- they may have some acceptable books.
One who seeks is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-01-2004, 09:17 PM   #26
Lovin' life,

Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 260.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightening_woman
Since this is northern ohio there are not many native american's here to ask to come to a classroom for demonstations.

Contact the main Indian center in Akron or the one in Columbus... either or can be of help. ;)
Old 05-03-2004, 10:50 AM   #27
hidatsawmn26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradish_wiyan
I just had another thought. How about using those big beads...we call them "pony beads" and make a necklace out of that. You can also use it for a patterning activity...like red, blue, yellow, red blue, yellow etc...depending on how much your kids understand about patterning. Ummm...you can also note that it is hand eye coordination, putting the bead on the string.
pony beads may not be such a good idea because since shes doing with activities up to age of 5 toddler 1 & toddler 2 kids can easily put those beads in their mouth and swallow them...rule of thumb for that age anythang smaller than match box cars is a must to be outta the class room..-becca
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-03-2004, 10:58 AM   #28
hidatsawmn26

this is probably too late of a reply but ya can use it as future reference for yar kiddies in the class room...the multi color bead stringing is great for ages 3 & up cuz they can get also their colors down packed...for something mobile try a tradish games..i'm pretty sure if you look through yahoo ya can find somethang but that could be fun for the kiddies..its great for motor skills...i forget wut else ya needed...i'll have to post again-becca
Old 05-03-2004, 11:13 AM   #29
hidatsawmn26

there are very few native in ohio but if ya go to the toledo powwow im sure ya'll find couple ppl living in ohio that would come in....try david brown he has done tons of things with the kiddies..i think i still have his digits..but thats for the social studies part...dramatic play now thats something that yar gonna have to be careful on and its a difficult one...sensory- try 3 different boxes with covers over them and in their put in like a square piece of deerhide with the fur on etc.. and let the kids try to guess what each is or something like that that them what each is used for....the point is to sit down compose a list of ideas...go through yar resources through the internet and see what ya can come up with-becca
Old 08-23-2004, 07:25 AM   #30
Tiny Tot Dancer

Smile thank you

Wanted to thank all that had responded to this thread. My computer crashed but wanted to remember to respond. Thank you again.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:25 AM   #31
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Kanatiiosh from Akwasasne has books she wrote for teaching small children about the Iroquois.. they are'nt expensive either. Below is her children pages she has on the web. There is even printable paper dolls that kids can color and cut out and play with. Also there is a contact number for her if you would like to give her a call... she's a really sweet person!

http://tuscaroras.com/graydeer/pages/childrenspage.htm
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 AM   #32
Tiny Tot Dancer

paper dolls

Thank you I will make some of these for the children to use. I did not see a phone number but I saw a email so I will email thank you again.
Old 08-25-2004, 03:13 AM   #33
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
No problem adn there are more learning and crafting plans for kids that age on the net connected with the Iroquois if you need any more PM me

Last edited by Blackbear; 08-25-2004 at 03:15 AM..
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-25-2004, 12:57 PM   #34
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Here is the Cradleboard project - project that Buffy St. Marie created - may help some - she has worked hard on getting it together....http://www.cradleboard.org/main.html.

Great contributions so far....;

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-26-2004, 03:03 AM   #35
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,633.21
Songs and Dance

You all may want to consider letting these children learn social dance songs( some what 49) 2 step songs and others. this will help them with their singing(music) and their exercise/ moving around by dancing. The long term action of this is that these young people will start their life with our songs.

(the 49 songs that have improper words for these children can just use the non-word version)

Use very large yarn(heavy weight) and let them start finger weaving. This will assist in their fine motor skills and their art skills. let them choose their own colors.

I'm just thinking of my own grandchildren that are now in this age catagory.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:44 AM   #36
Tiny Tot Dancer

crandleboard project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Ace
Here is the Cradleboard project - project that Buffy St. Marie created - may help some - she has worked hard on getting it together....http://www.cradleboard.org/main.html.

Great contributions so far....;
This is a very good site. It is for 3rd-12th grades though. I will pass this site on to some student teachers for elementary. I am needing preschool lesson plans. I enjoyed the site though. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #37
Pow Wow Visitor

Lmfancy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homalosa View Post
I agree with everyone. Another good book resource is Welcome to the Frontpage. They have reading lists from pre-K to college. What's cool about them is that they have an endorsement list and a "no-no" list to prevent stereotype perpetuation.

Also, are their any dance troupes near you? They can be expensive sometimes, but you may be able to get a grant to pay for it. If you know any dancers who can donate a day off of work to come and dance that would be great too. My sister wanted me to come and dance and speak before her college world music class. Since it was an educational experience, my principal gave me the day off without charging my personal necessity time. Your dancer friends may not have it that easy, but still might want to help out. They could dance and cover the story of their dance/regalia. It would also be a great opportunity to teach the "don't touch someone else's regalia" lesson too.
That is a good site!
Lmfancy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links