Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Racist cartoon Racist cartoon

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-13-2005, 01:39 PM   #21
Doing my thing

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
04jingle26 will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homalosa
If the cartoonist meant to ridicule racists, then it seems like he came away from the cell with a little ink on himself.
True.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:50 PM   #22
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
LOL I did'nt know my observation would raise such feelings that I was somehow supporting it!
No I don't support the cartoon nor was I making light of it. Just wanted to express that I felt it was done to intentionally offend US.
Would they attack another ethnic group? If it gets in the way of their sports, I think they would, but it's only native americans that are opposed to our imagery and names being used the way they are so of course they are "blaming" us for that decision to ban the teams using racially offensive names and mascots.
I'm not as worked up over the cartoon as I feel sorry for the asshole who did it. It takes a very petty person with a small mind to attack an ethnic group over something like this. I really pity people with that kind of hate in their heart.

Last edited by Blackbear; 12-13-2005 at 02:53 PM..
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-13-2005, 05:15 PM   #23
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Well said Blackbear. It's small minded people that promote and feed off racism in the first place. Didn't mean to imply you were supporting such rubbish, it's just that such things as this carry on the nonsense in their own way.
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
I also think that it is offensive and i also think that it is meant to be. To me what the cartoon is is a statement siggesting how outrageous it is to honour Native Americans one day out of the year and then go back to treating them like sh*t for the other 364 days. I think it identifies the hypocracy of it all. With that said however it is still offensive and should be published.
crazydazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 AM   #25
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
I think it's just the sad opinion of someone who thinks that messing with his sports teams names is a punishable offense. Needs to take it out on the native nations because he really and truly believes that it honors us and that we are just ungrateful people who have to have something to ***** about. Probably the same kinda person who gets in fights at high school football games and punches people for saying their team sucks.
Old 12-18-2005, 10:12 PM   #26
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Boozhoo niji,

crazydazy "I also think that it is offensive and i also think that it is meant to be. To me what the cartoon is is a statement siggesting how outrageous it is to honour Native Americans one day out of the year and then go back to treating them like sh*t for the other 364 days. I think it identifies the hypocracy of it all. With that said however it is still offensive and should be published. "

Was at work a couple of days earlier, we were broken into, and this one door the burgler got past was damaged significantly. I was set to repair it, which was outside of what I do everyday, which is fix lawnmowers. I have done finish carpentry though, so this repair was within my abilities. I reinforced the door, and made it stiffer and better than it originally was.

The boss was admiring my handy work, and another man, one from the railroad came up. Boss said, "Not bad for an Indian. Its what you call Injunuity"

I let him slide, because if he gets outta hand, he is full blooded German, and I start making Nasi comments. But this other man there made another comment. "I have never seen a blue eyed indian before" I went to confront him about that, he stated that "my great grandmother was Cherokee" Ahhh that old one liner. So I went after him with, so what do you do when you go home? Indian things or white things? He retorted with, What do you do? But before I could even answer, he turned his back on me and walked away.

This man comes in often, maybe once in a couple of weeks. Anyone got any ideas on how I should treat this racist? Ignorance is bliss I think.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 10:54 AM   #27
fish soothsayer

streamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
streamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond reputestreamhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 382.35
Derek, the "injunity" is actually a good play on words if it was meant in the right spirit of ribbing, a good pun, we kid each other, right? If he was a skin, would it have stung less? But it's still racist at heart and therefore tends to suck. Now the other dude, hmmm. It's no good to lower yourself to the level of a person like that because you end up turning into them. I personally might be compelled to comment on the fact he doesn't seem to be related to his grandmother, a backhanded comment on his legitimate birthright, if you follow my meaning.

Bill
streamhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 PM   #28
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Hey,

I was reading a book today, "Ojibwe Waasa Inaabidaa, We look in all directions" Learned a new word today, Contemporary Racism.

I wonder if that is what is going on today. People using racist comments as an afterthought, and then when really confronted with it, they say, "Oh well I didnt really mean it that way." or "You Indians always take things too seriously."

That kind of stuff is practically as irritating as the original racist remark.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-28-2005, 10:46 AM   #29
Doing my thing

04jingle26 will become famous soon enough
Well I recieved an email back from the Vic-President of Relations from the University of Florida last week. She basically said that they could not do anything about the cartoon because the paper though a university paper is independent from their institute. blah blah blah...
She also stated that they have confronted the editor and the paper several times on similiar issues but other than that they cant do anything.

Here is an announcement from Florida AIM, pass on if want.

"WHY DOES A UF PAPER SUPPORT HATE CRIMES
WHY DOES UF AND GAINESVILLE ALLOW THIS RACIST PAPER TO EXIST?

THE TIME HAS COME FOR THE INDEPENDENT ALLIGATOR TO DIE!

There comes a time when enough, is enough. That time is now, the
place is Gainesville and we ask all human beings to join us January
14th at 1pm to say the time has finally come to demand basic human
dignity and respect be afforded Native peoples, and that we will
tolerate nothing less.

Florida AIM calls upon all human beings who oppose racism and oppose the murder of Indigenous peoples to stand with us January 14th 1t 1pm in front of the racist offices of the Alligator as we begin our campaign to shut this bastion of hate criminals down.

The time has come to end the endurance of the abuse of a society that
has consistently shown a callous disregard, at best, to the
spirituality, culture, and lives of Indigenous human beings. Enough
to endure the dehumanization of entire people by malicious
trivialization by cartoonish depictions of a peoples culture and
spirituality through every communicative and artistic medium that
exists, be it television shows, movies, athletic events, cartoons and
even art forms.

In an America where 3 in 10 violent hate crime victims are American
Indians, who make up 1/125th of the US population; it is impossible
to deny the reality of anti-Indian racism that pervades the American
consciousness. The brutal hate crime murders of more than a dozen
Lakota people in small US cities such as Rapid City, SD; Mobridge,
SD; and White Clay, NE have garnered absolutely no attention from the American mass media. The hate crime murder of Allen Two Crows, a dedicated West Point Academy cadet garnered no national media in this overzealously patriotic American period. The hate crime murder of
Carol Garbow in Minneapolis, MN garnered no attention as the American media focuses on womens issues. While America becomes obsessed with the issues related to the right to die movement American Indians are struggling with the right to live.

With the families of Wallace Black Elk Jr., Ronald Heard Heart, and
Carol Garbow mourning the University of Florida?s Independent
Alligator issues a cartoon lampooning the murdering of Indians as
being politically incorrect during the annual American Thanksgiving
celebration.

How dare the Alligator insult the mourning families of Indigenous
peoples who have been killed in this America simply because they
choose to exist! Florida AIM afforded this racist newspaper the
opportunity to apologize for the absolutely soulless cartoon, they
refused. This shows us the Alligator willfully and maliciously
intended to offend and to call for the continued hate crime violence
against Indian people.

Enough is god damn enough! When does it end? When do we begin to
stand up? When do we begin to challenge these racist thugs within our
midst who feel they can, with impunity openly support the killing of
Indigenous peoples and the continued suffering and mourning of the
families of the victims. When do we say its enough and put a stop to
it by any means necessary?

Florida AIM says its enough now! We felt and respected the pain the
families of Robert Many Horse, Candice Rough Surface, Timothy Bull
Bear, Timothy Red Wolf, Wallace Black Elk Jr., Ronald Hard Heart,
Allen Two Crows, Justin Redday, Kimberly Means, Ben Long Wolf, George Hatton, Allen Hough, Royce Yellow Hawk, Randall Two Crows, Lauren Two Bulls, Dirk Bartling, Arthur Chamberlin, Lonnie Isham, Wilbur Johnson, Randy Headbird, Leroy Jackson, Mike Berry, Gabby Daniels, John Means, David Croud, Carol Garbow, Neil Stonechild, Charles Lone Eagle, Gwen Araujo, Fred Martinez, Crystal Pacheco, Christopher Long Elk, Fausto Arellano, Morgan Lewis, Jeffery Ford, Steve Andrews, Norman Ford, James Pettet, Christopher Stafford, Dennis Cross, Lleweyen Long Soldier, Francis Thunderhawk, Rich Big Crow, Thomas Twiss, Don Boudreaux, and Martin Young Bull Bear. Florida AIM is enraged by the Alligator supporting these, to name a few hate crime victims, murders.

We now understand that the Florida Alligator is simply a cowardly arm
of the white supremacist racist movement in America and we will
challenge these murderous thugs for whom they are.

Florida AIM calls upon all human beings who oppose racism and oppose the murder of Indigenous peoples to stand with us January 14th at 1pm in front of the racist offices of the Alligator (1105 W University Ave Gainesville) as we begin our campaign to shut this bastion of hate criminals down by any means necessary.

If you don't find killing Indians funny-Stand with us!
If you don't support a paper endorsing hate crimes funny-Stand with
us! If you don't support media inspired hate and violence against Native peoples-Stand with Us! aim "
Old 12-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #30
Pow Wow Visitor

Erica Rain is an unknown quantity at this point
Insensitive Indeed! How hypocritical it is that such a cartoon could promote harm to Native Americans the rest of the year then make up for all of it on one day only, SENSELESS!

Just wait until everyone reads this shocking article:

http://www.glifwc.org/pub/spring00/ihs_flier.htm

I just wish we could erase ignorant racist idiots from our collective memory, then we could live in peace.

Those people who helped spread this racist smut will be hearing from me soon!
Erica Rain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links