Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Somethin only Ndns can appreciate Somethin only Ndns can appreciate

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2007, 07:59 PM   #1
As you can see...

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40.00
Savings: 1.00
Somethin only Ndns can appreciate

well, at least I can, and most natives from Alaska. We all grew up wiff this stuff.

I liked mine with butter and jam, or salmon eggs..

Alaska staple is safe: Rumors of Pilot Bread's demise are false
Production halt of 'indestructible' food a rumor

(JIM LAVRAKAS / Anchorage Daily News)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By BETH BRAGG
bbragg@adn.com

(Published: November 6, 2007) Maggie Roberts learned to love Sailor Boy Pilot Bread in the village of Venetie, where her grandmother always has a big box on hand. "I like eating it in soup, like moose soup or something."

Susie Merculief prefers to feast on her own homemade bread these days, but has fond memories of Pilot Bread from when she lived on St. George Island. "I used to eat it before and after the Second World War. I would toast it in the oven. It was nice to put butter on it when it was warm."

Lawrence Baker of Ninilchik would eat Pilot Bread every day if he could. "I like that whipped cheese on it. But I have to drive 34 miles to buy it, so I don't always have it."

Alaskans may not live by Pilot Bread alone, but they profess an unmatched devotion to the round, durable, unsalted crackers that are the staff of life for villagers, cabin-dwellers and a few city folk.

So when rumors circulated that -- gasp! -- Interbake Foods might drop the cracker from its menu, Alaskans panicked. One of them, Janice Bendixen of Butte, sent an e-mail to the western region office in Portland.

Was it true? Should she stock up with a case or two?

Not to worry, regional business manager Jeff Poirier told her.

Interbake has no plans to discontinue the crackers, which it produces almost exclusively for Alaskans.

We buy 98 percent of the stuff.

Bendixen, an account executive with Northwest Strategies in Anchorage, sighed in relief and spread the word with a news release. She grew up in Nome, where Pilot Bread wasn't just a household staple. It was served daily at her school.

"In kindergarten it was our snack. It was Pilot Bread with peanut butter and apple sauce. That was in about 1968," she said.

She eats it to this day, usually with a heavy stew or moose soup. She can't imagine life without Pilot Bread in rural Alaska, where its popularity is unrivaled.

"You can't kill it. It's indestructible. Even when it's stale, which takes 10 years, it isn't stale when you toast it.

"C'mon. It's empty carbohydrates and fat. How can that be wrong?"

'STURDY STUFF'

Poirier thinks Bendixen is onto something.

He said Pilot Bread's durability makes it a natural for rural Alaska, where some food arrives after long journeys from the Lower 48 and some people live far from stores. The crackers don't have much oil or moisture, so they last a long time.

"There's nothing to go rancid," he said. "It's sturdy stuff."

Poirier was in Anchorage last weekend, giving out samples of Pilot Bread at the DeBarr Costco. He wanted feedback from Alaskans about the crackers, which recently moved from a bakery in Richmond, Va., to one in Front Royal, Va.

The recipe hasn't changed, he said, but a different water supply is being used and Interbake has bought a new oven. The bakery is trying to make sure the crackers don't change much in taste or texture as a result.

Audrey Larson of Anchorage sampled crackers from two different batches and pronounced both satisfying.

"This might be a little lighter, maybe more crumbly," she said of the more recent batch. "Oooh, I like it."

Larson discovered Pilot Bread more than 40 years ago when her husband got a job in Bethel. Before moving to Alaska, she'd never heard of it. She doesn't eat bread anymore, but she eats Pilot Bread every day for lunch.

"With peanut butter and honey on it," she said. "I used to have a day care, and little kids like it too."

Her only gripe is she can't find Pilot Bread when she and her husband travel to the Lower 48.

Poirier's heard that complaint before.

"Anytime an Alaskan moves to the Lower 48, they freak out when they find out they can't find Pilot Bread," he said. When they call Interbake, Poirier tells them how to get it shipped via UPS.

THE MISSING 2 PERCENT

Poirier said the 2 percent of Sailor Boy Pilot Bread that doesn't wind up in Alaska usually ends up in one of three places:

It's sold on Indian reservations.

It's ordered by Oregon survivalists who want to stock up on non-perishables.

And it's shipped to Japan, where, Poirier said, the government encourages citizens to prepare survival kits in case of a tsunami or other disaster.

Pilot Bread is also known as hardtack, a cheap, everlasting cracker made of flour, water and salt. It was a staple for soldiers during the Civil War and, before that, on ships making long voyages. The highbrow set knows it as water crackers.

No matter what you call it, it's dry and bland -- until you dip it in a stew or soup or top it with peanut butter, honey, jam, butter, Spam or cheese.

The Sailor Boy Pilot Bread comes in a box as familiar as the cracker itself: Navy blue with white letters and a drawing of a sailor boy who could be Buster Brown's twin. It looks like something straight out of the 1940s.

Interbake's product list includes Girl Scout Cookies and a number of niche crackers and cookies. If you eat a Drumstick ice cream treat, the cone most likely came from an Interbake oven, Poirer said. The company also makes the chocolate wafers used for ice cream sandwiches.

But nothing it makes is quite like Pilot Bread.

"I can't think of any other branded product like it," Poirier said. "You bake it in Virginia and sell it all in Alaska, and it hasn't changed in 50 years. That's just weird."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Find Beth Bragg online at adn.com/contact/bbragg or call 257-4309.

Cheap eats

The price of a 2-pound box of Sailor Boy Pilot Bread at Anchorage stores on Monday:

Costco, $3.29

Wal-Mart, $3.86

Red Apple, $3.89

Carrs/Safeway, $4.99

Fred Meyer, $4.99

GOT PILOT BREAD? We want to hear how Alaskans eat their Pilot Bread -- and how long some of you have kept it on your shelves. Share your Pilot Bread recipes and stories in the comments section:

Copyright 2007 The Anchorage Daily News (adn.com | Alaska News, Jobs, Cars, Homes, Rentals, Classifieds and more)

...that's so true....so, so true...
ntownn8ive is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 AM   #2
Junior Dancer

Tlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond reputeTlinkamoe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,851.70
Savings: 0.00
Smile

I was born and raised in Fairbanks Alaska and Pilot Bread was one of the staples we always had. It was almost a requirement. I have since moved to Oklahoma and learned quick 16 years ago that they do not sell it here. Every time I made a trip back home I always, always had to have some while I was there and some to take back to Oklahoma with me. Recently my parents sent me a box and know how much I miss the stuff. My kids are now lovers of the large round crackers and little do my parents know they have created a monster. LOL! YES! I love Pilot Bread!
Tlinkamoe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2007, 01:45 PM   #3
As you can see...

ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
ntownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond reputentownn8ive has a reputation beyond repute
My family lived up in SE for a lil while then moved stateside. They used to sell them here in the NW cause my pops always had them. Then one day the stores stopped selling them. Can't find them anywhere.

Pilot bread reminds me of the elfin bread that Frodo and Sam packed with them on Lord of the Rings!

It was the same for us, but only we were goin' fishin'!

Old 11-08-2007, 02:26 PM   #4
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
I never heard of it!!! I'm such a lower 48 *L* I am sure we would've ate it had it been here in Oklahoma!!! Look what we did with our flour and water when we had no food.....FRYBREAD!!!

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #5
is lost in reality...

50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute50cal has a reputation beyond repute
Location: where no buffalo roam, but the prairie dogs do.....
Credits: 404.87
A buddy of mine in my platoon was from fairbanks and he would bring back a couple of boxes for us to take out to the field...we would put MRE jelly on it, pretty good....sure wish I had some now, I AM HUNGRY!!!!!

...And shephards we shall be. For thee my lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from thy hand. That our feet may swiftly carry out thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to thee. And teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritu Sancti.
50cal is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #6
As you can see...

So strange that it's seldom known about. The history of this kind of bread dates back thousands and thousands of years. From the Chinese to the Europeans; this stuff was used in a lot of poor folk dishes, soups, salads. It probably came across the ocean wiff them d@mn Pilgrims!

Old 11-09-2007, 11:39 AM   #7
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Talking Whew that was a close one!

Great Article! Gasp! LOL! I feel for those whose favorite things are taken off the shelves. My favorite candy bar the "Bar-None" candy bar was first given a face life and it sucked afterwards, then a few years later it vanished like pizza at a Chucky Cheese B-Day Party! I was so bummed out!

And my favorite mustard of all time, the Tulkoff Brand's: Spicy German Mustard was yanked from the shelves of my local supermarket and co-op Woodman's. Now I have to special order a whole case from Tulkoff themselves to get my ultimate mustard. Albeit they didn't stop making it altogether; but it still really sucks, they had such a great thing there with their uber yellow mustard!

If the wagon ain't broke don't friggn fix it! Argh!!!

Good thing your people's fav cracker wasn't pulled. I do feel for those who's fav things get drastically altered by the manufacturer or altogether pulled from the shelves.

There I'm done.

Peace
OD
Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
UUUmmmm, sailorboys! I grew up in Southern Oregon; we ate them, but they had to be purchased up on the Warmsprings reservation where my cousins lived. When I moved to Alaska 18 years ago, I was very happy to see they were available in every store and in every Native home:) They are great crumbled up in a goot hot bowl of moosehead soup, DDDD-licious!!!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
As you can see...

Thanks for postin'!

What ever happened to Tab soda, too?

Anyways, my relatives in SE send care packages down every once in a while; herring eggs, smoked salmon, dried seaweed, cockles-sp?, gumboots, gooey ducks. I'll have to ask them to send some pilot bread. *Either they don't have it around here or I ain't lookin' hard enough. I used to make PB&J sammiches outta them, like real bread!

Old 11-09-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
What about mini-pizzas, my son used to make those for himself when we lived out in the Bush!
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 05:31 PM   #11
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,339.79
Haha too funny, we call it hard tack and yes almost everyone here at home has a box of it in their cupboards. I know I do and I love mine with home canned salmon or huckleberry jam.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
As you can see...

Hard tack, that's the name! thanks Ka

We used it in soup, too, in place of the baked goldfish! *L

Sponsored Links