Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues South Dakota given back to the Sioux?? South Dakota given back to the Sioux??

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Dances for Enjoyment

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,749.20
Savings: 0.00
South Dakota given back to the Sioux??

Just kind of curious as to why there's no discussion about this??

Read it here; SD Given back to sioux nation- accidently by congress - CNN iReport

-or-

iReport — Congress Accidentally Gives South Dakota Back to Sioux
Thu, 01/07/2010 - 16:52 — Guest
Washington DC (GlossyNews) — On Friday, in a late business wrap up, the US Congress gave back the state of South Dakota to the Oglala Sioux Tribe. Reports have surfaced that an obscure bill, which was suppose to cede a 100 acre parcel of land in South Dakota back to the Oglala Sioux, had a small typographic error in the official copy which, accidentally, ceded the entire state of South Dakota back to the Oglala Sioux.
President Obama signed the measure into law without reading it late on Friday and on Saturday morning, the Oglala Sioux began the process of taking over a number of Uranium mines and oil fields. A group of South Dakota Republican state legislators stated that the acts were illegal and the law obviously a mistake. However, federal lawmakers are now into a two-week recess and are not available to set the motion right.
When asked if he could rescind his signature, President Obama replied, “It isn’t my place to redo the work of congress. If congress has decided to give South Dakota back to the Indians, well, I support that. My signature stands.”
Tribal leaders stress that the law ‘makes sense’ and ’sets the record right’. They are encouraging non violent take overs of white businesses and properties before congress has a chance to change the laws.
“Possession is 9 tenths of the law, &*%#@!” yelled a young Indian as we walked past.
The author of the bill in question – Representative Tom Chase (D-SD) said, “Well, I was trying to help some Sioux out by getting them a piece of their land back, I guess we just helped ALL of them instead.”
South Dakota governor M Michael Rounds reportedly said in a press conference Sunday morning that, “We all know this is a mistake. If necessary I will order out the National Guard to keep the unlawful seizure of property to a minimum.”
A spokesman for the Oglala Tribe remarks of Rounds, “Who is he? I think he might be a little out of his jurisdiction now. Technically, now the Chief of the Oglala Sioux Nation is governor of South Dakota.”
In related news, gas prices at a newly tribalized Texaco gas station near the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation have dropped to 25 cents a gallon for regular unleaded. Which is good news for the folks waiting in line at the Ford dealership in Sturgis. Tribal leaders say cars will go on sale there for $300.00 each on Thursday.
KILI Radio - (605) 867 5002 email: info (at) kiliradio (dot) org

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Mato Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #2
Asmajol

Its in Chit Chat section also. People are positn there

Ive forwarded this link to everyone i know, its preety major!
  Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
Dances for Enjoyment

Mato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond reputeMato Mahe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,749.20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmajol View Post
Its in Chit Chat section also. People are positn there

Ive forwarded this link to everyone i know, its preety major!
Oh...ok, thanks. I was sure it had to be here SOMEWHERE!!

I am NOT Indian. I have never been to India, nor has any of my family before me! I have met these people from India, of whom you speak, and I am nothing like them. Why do you call me an Indian?

Mato Mahe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
Asmajol

No Problem :D
Old 01-15-2010, 02:43 AM   #5
Zintkala Towa Win

Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Zintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond reputeZintkala Towa Win has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,256.34
Not too burst anyone's bubble!!

I am not one hundred percent convinced of the legitimacy of this article. I live in South Dakota and I am an enrolled member of the Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe. If something like this was truly happening occuring in one of our tribes the moccasin telegraph would be going off like crazy. There are also some errors in the article I would like to point out. First off the Oglala people aren't the whole Sioux Nation. The "Sioux" nation, the proper name would be the Ocheti Sakowin, isn't localized to just South Dakota. The people of the Ocheti Sakowin are scattered all over South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, some parts of Montana, Nebraska, and lets not forgot our relatives in Canada. So if such an important issue as land return like this one occured why is there not a gathering of our tribal leaders and elders of all the Ocheti Sakowin, if truly the whole state of South Dakota was given to "Sioux" nation, to discuss such a topic?? Secondly did anyone notice that the anonymous author didn't cite the Bill number or name?? And why in the world would there not be national news coverage on an issue this serious?? How could anyone not notice that Congress accidently sign away a WHOLE state??

I pray for proper reparations to be made by the U.S. government for the atrocities committed against all our nations. I honestly don't believe that over the last few hundred years that the government has kept vigilant guard over the land stolen from our people that they would make such a serious mistake. Especially since they know the strong cultural connections every Native nation holds with the land. They know that for all our peoples land has always been a source of strength and power for our peoples. The government, in my opinion, will never want to give us back our lands knowing the sway it has over our people.

So here is my challenge to the people and I would seriously loved to be proven wrong. All the Native people who may view this post need to call up the tribal offices at Flandreau, Rosebud, Pine Ridge, Sisseton, Cheyenne River, and etc...also call Tom Daschle, Tim Johnson, Stephanie Herseth, Mike Rounds, also the President of the US if you really must and figure out what the heck is really going on. If such an event has truly happened then I would encourage all the Native nations to show their support for such action. Because land return for one nation could turn into land return for countless nations. There's never been such a precedent to occur since the landing of Columbus!!

Mitakuye Oyasin!!! We are all related!!
Zintkala Towa Win is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-15-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Asmajol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintkala Towa Win View Post
I am not one hundred percent convinced of the legitimacy of this article. I live in South Dakota and I am an enrolled member of the Flandreau Santee Sioux Tribe. If something like this was truly happening occuring in one of our tribes the moccasin telegraph would be going off like crazy. There are also some errors in the article I would like to point out. First off the Oglala people aren't the whole Sioux Nation. The "Sioux" nation, the proper name would be the Ocheti Sakowin, isn't localized to just South Dakota. The people of the Ocheti Sakowin are scattered all over South Dakota, Minnesota, North Dakota, Wyoming, some parts of Montana, Nebraska, and lets not forgot our relatives in Canada. So if such an important issue as land return like this one occured why is there not a gathering of our tribal leaders and elders of all the Ocheti Sakowin, if truly the whole state of South Dakota was given to "Sioux" nation, to discuss such a topic?? Secondly did anyone notice that the anonymous author didn't cite the Bill number or name?? And why in the world would there not be national news coverage on an issue this serious?? How could anyone not notice that Congress accidently sign away a WHOLE state??

I pray for proper reparations to be made by the U.S. government for the atrocities committed against all our nations. I honestly don't believe that over the last few hundred years that the government has kept vigilant guard over the land stolen from our people that they would make such a serious mistake. Especially since they know the strong cultural connections every Native nation holds with the land. They know that for all our peoples land has always been a source of strength and power for our peoples. The government, in my opinion, will never want to give us back our lands knowing the sway it has over our people.

So here is my challenge to the people and I would seriously loved to be proven wrong. All the Native people who may view this post need to call up the tribal offices at Flandreau, Rosebud, Pine Ridge, Sisseton, Cheyenne River, and etc...also call Tom Daschle, Tim Johnson, Stephanie Herseth, Mike Rounds, also the President of the US if you really must and figure out what the heck is really going on. If such an event has truly happened then I would encourage all the Native nations to show their support for such action. Because land return for one nation could turn into land return for countless nations. There's never been such a precedent to occur since the landing of Columbus!!

Mitakuye Oyasin!!! We are all related!!

My Cousin investigated and told me its a farce. its nowhere to be found except that webpage and its not cnn page
Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Singer

yellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond reputeyellowthunders mama has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Good Fantasy

It was a good fantasy for the few moments that it lasted.
yellowthunders mama is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-19-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,980.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zintkala Towa Win View Post
I pray for proper reparations to be made by the U.S. government for the atrocities committed against all our nations.
I pray for folks to cease begging for a free lunch.

The Feds don't owe anyone yet alive, anything. We are where we are due to US.

When we accept responsibility, it will improve.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links