Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Ted Nolan - target of racism... Ted Nolan - target of racism...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-20-2005, 10:54 AM   #1
An URBAN NDN

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 367.44
Savings: 1.00
Ted Nolan - target of racism...

I saw the footage this morning on Canada AM - disgusting! Why aren't the instigators being charged!?

From: http://www.moncton-wildcats.com/arch...051220b_en.php

December 20, 2005
Cats coach gets apology for racial slurs
Sagueneens, QMJHL issue apologies in wake of incident in Chicoutimi; Cats receive 100+ e-mails in support of Ted Nolan

NEIL HODGE
Times & Transcript Staff
Chicoutimi Sagueneens president Guy Carbonneau was the first to admit that his club's fans were wrong for hurling racial slurs at Moncton Wildcats head coach Ted Nolan during and after a Quebec Major Junior Hockey League game on Friday night.

Nolan, an Ojibwa from Sault Ste. Marie, Ont., spoke with a trembling voice and his eyes watered up while doing an interview following Moncton's 4-3 loss.

"We don't deny it," said Carbonneau. "I think it happened. Is it unfortunate? Yes. I don't think there was a hundred people (yelling racial slurs). I think we're talking about maybe three or four people that were singing songs and saying bad things, but it is definitely not our policy to accept that and we'll try to prevent that in the future."

An apology was posted on the Chicoutimi team website yesterday afternoon, citing in part, 'the actions of some of our fans do not represent the population of the region ... The Sagueneens organization understands and respects the multi-ethnic nature of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League and do not condone this type of conduct.'

"We just can't control everybody and what they say. I read (Nolan's) comments (in Monday's newspaper) and I know it's unfortunate. Did people go too far? Yes, obviously. It doesn't just happen in Chicoutimi. It happens everywhere in the world that there's some racist people. We'll definitely do our best to try to make sure these things don't happen in the future."

Carbonneau, a former National Hockey League player, is Chicoutimi's part owner. He lives in Dallas and didn't attend Friday's game. In an earlier phone call, he said he hadn't heard anything about the incident involving uncivilized fan behaviour until the Times & Transcript contacted him for comment yesterday morning.

"I'm surprised that you're the one who tells me about it," he said. "I don't understand how it can be this bad without anybody even telling me about it. It also surprises me because we have a native kid named Francis Verreault-Paul on our team and he's a fan favourite. I'm going to find out more about it and call you back."

The Wildcats said that security guards did nothing, just laughed, when they complained about racial slurs coming from fans. Some fans sang warrior songs and made racial gestures, pretending they were shooting Nolan with a bow and arrow.

"If security guards laughed, we'll definitely talk to them and we apologize for that," said Carbonneau. "We'll definitely apologize to Ted Nolan and the Moncton Wildcats organization. That's definitely something we're not proud of."

The QMJHL spent the weekend gathering information and then issued a news release yesterday.

"The distasteful and disgraceful gestures and comments aimed at head coach Ted Nolan by an isolated group of spectators in no way represents the image of the Sagueneens organization, their players or the fans that attend QMJHL games," said league commissioner Gilles Courteau in the statement.

"Like Mr. Ted Nolan, all players and team staff members are part of the QMJHL family without allusion to their nationality or ethic background."

Courteau stressed that the league takes this matter very seriously and he said steps will be taken to make sure these type of incidents aren't repeated in Chicoutimi or elsewhere. He also said Chicoutimi is now looking for ways to improve its security procedures.

Chicoutimi mayor Jean Tremblay is a Metis, but despite his native background he downplayed the events of Friday night.

"Apparently, there was a little incident with the coach, but I don't know much about it," he said. "We have a native community here and the people here are very friendly with the natives. We've never had a conflict between the natives and the rest of the population here.

"The population here isn't racist. It's possible that one or two people are racist, but that doesn't reflect the mentality of the region. That's for sure. Natives are very well respected here. I'm proud to tell everyone I'm a Metis and that helped me in my election. The native player on our team is the most popular."

Chicoutimi (from Shkoutimeou) is a native word meaning "the end of the deep water." This community is now in hot water with a tarnished image, but Tremblay said he's not ready to issue Nolan an apology because he's not sure if the incident was serious enough to warrant it.

"It was probably two or three people (causing trouble with racial slurs)," said Tremblay, who's been mayor since 1997. "I have the impression that it's being greatly exaggerated what happened. I talked to people that were at the game and they told me they didn't see anything."

In fact, there were at least 150 fans displaying racist behaviour outside the Wildcats dressing room and in the parking lot after the game. Police came in to calm the ugly scene as the Wildcats prepared to board their bus.

The Wildcats also received more than 100 e-mails (info@moncton-wildcats.com) as of noon yesterday from people offering their support for Nolan.

"Certainly, the behaviour of the fans in Chicoutimi has struck a chord," said Wildcats general manager Bill Schurman. "We've received e-mails and phone calls from across Canada and parts of the United States. Ted Nolan is very popular and it just shows the following he has.

"He's made many presentations over the years about showing respect and treating everybody as equals. I think that message was obviously violated in Chicoutimi and people are rallying around Ted. I'm sure this is something they're not proud of in Chicoutimi. Hopefully, they will learn from it and that it never happens again."

Those in Chicoutimi say this was an isolated incident. That's tough to believe given the message that security guards had for Moncton's coaching staff a couple of hours before the game.

"Security said they would take us to the bench each period," said Wildcats associate coach Danny Flynn. "As you walk from the dressing room to the bench, there's a point where you have to go through an area where fans are milling around and they said they've had some incidents in the past where fans had confrontations with coaches.

"If they've had past incidents, there should be structural changes so that the coaches can walk safely from the dressing room to the bench or they should have adequate police so that if anything happens people are arrested and barred from the arena. They also encouraged us to take a specific route to get to the bench so that fans don't pour drinks on us."
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-20-2005, 10:58 AM   #2
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Further to above

I want to add that this incident wasn't something that just happened - there were people dressed up in "warpaint" and "head-dresses" - this was premeditated/planned - it was obvious from the footage that Ted Nolan was the target!

I want to see the instigators charged! This is obvious racial hatred!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
is waiting ....

chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
chazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond reputechazziff has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 374.00
that damn tomahawk chop should be abolished - maybe the native ppl should sue mr. turner and his ball team (atlanta braves) for "inventing" it and encouraging it ...

i'm sure if we showed up at a hockey game dressed up like and imitating jewish rabi's - there would be a "huge" uproar. there is a double standard ...

i did watch the national canadian news last night on CTV and it was the leading story. the oposing hockey team did say that they have a native team member and THAT was why they were dressed like that (headdresses and paint) and they USUALLY do the tomahawk chop when HE makes a goal. not that makes it better.

and it wasn't until their team was losing that they started with the chants, slurs and chopping motion toward Nolan (in french and Nolan does not understand french and did not immediately know that they were slurs). the television footage was very disheartening - very bad. especially the ppl who were behind Nolan's bench ...
Old 12-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #4
An URBAN NDN

Isn't it just so obvious how this world works - when one Aboriginal person gets all the flack possible for some comments he made about a group of people! Yet a whole mob of people get away with targeting one person!?

How about equal punishment for the same crime!

Racism is racism and none of it is ever okay!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:12 AM   #5
Junior Dancer

crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazziff
that damn tomahawk chop should be abolished - maybe the native ppl should sue mr. turner and his ball team (atlanta braves) for "inventing" it and encouraging it ...

i'm sure if we showed up at a hockey game dressed up like and imitating jewish rabi's - there would be a "huge" uproar. there is a double standard ...

i did watch the national canadian news last night on CTV and it was the leading story. the oposing hockey team did say that they have a native team member and THAT was why they were dressed like that (headdresses and paint) and they USUALLY do the tomahawk chop when HE makes a goal. not that makes it better.

and it wasn't until their team was losing that they started with the chants, slurs and chopping motion toward Nolan (in french and Nolan does not understand french and did not immediately know that they were slurs). the television footage was very disheartening - very bad. especially the ppl who were behind Nolan's bench ...
Yes they did say that there was a native member on that team who they perpetuate stereotypes i mean dress up for. They also said that it was only an isolated few that took part - bullsh*t it looked like everyone in the place was doing it. If it wasn't at Nolan then why did the taunting continue as he was getting on the bus to go home?
Besides who cares who it was directed at - It only matters how it was interpreted. You would have to be an idiot to think that in a crowd that size that someone wouldn't be offended.

Would it be accepted if there was a black dude on a team and people sang in the jungle everytime he scored? Would the other black people not have the right to be offended. Or if the crowd yelled ribbitt ribbitt everytime a french player scored. Doesn't matter how stupid these examples sound because the tomohawk chop and the war cry is just as stupid.

My heart goes out to Ted Nolan. My heart also goes out to the native player on that team who allows his fans to humiliate his people eveytime he accomplishes something. Too bad that he has mistaken racisim for admiration. I doubt that he invited people to do this.

I could go on and on

Last edited by crazydazy; 12-21-2005 at 09:14 AM..
crazydazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links