Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Tell them you are NATIVE.... Tell them you are NATIVE....

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2004, 05:04 PM   #1
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 110.00
Savings: 0.00
Tell them you are NATIVE....

Whenever you have surgery or need to have anesthesia for any reason - TELL THEM YOU ARE NATIVE!

My sis, Jackie, who lives in Florida, just went thru a real scare. She went in for a spinal tap *been experiencing headaches for awhile* last week, and when they did, the block they used was not condusive to her system. The anastesialogist DID NOT ASK HER HERITAGE, but assumed she was Latino. (She is Native/Spanish Mix - not blood sister, friend sister, got it??) The anestetic block they used was poisioning her system, creating even more pain, and her body was rejecting it. After 3 rushes to the emergency room, the head of Anestetics looked at her and asked her heritage. When she responded Native/Spanish - he laid out the man who had given her the first shot, saying that her body could not handle it due to her ethnic background. YES THERE ARE DIFFERENT MEDS FOR DIFFERENT RACES. Apparently, an Anglo can handle one type of meds, but a Native can not.

Did you guys know this??? I sure as hell didn't - but felt like I needed to let you know.....before you go in to get cut or any surgery, let them know you are Native....just let them know. It may not apply in all cases, but a physican would much rather know in advance than give you the wrong meds.

Isn't that interesting???

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Smokin' Ace is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #2
Junior Dancer

owleyes will become famous soon enough
Credits: 0.00
I'm glad she's OK. Man, that sucks! I never heard of anything like that either.
owleyes is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Wow.. I've always had to fill in the ethnic choice box at any doctors or hospital I've gone to before... Why was'nt her ethnic background in her files or on her chart?
Old 06-29-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
Gotz ta be me!

Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Otter has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Something similiar happened to my father... I never thought about race, just that some things (chemicals) don't mix with us very well. He told the doctor to watch the anesthesia... they wrote him off as an ignorant patient that was telling them how to do their job... During the procedure, his heart stopped. They were freaked out. Kicker is.... they were operating on his thumb.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:49 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

:Eyepopper OMG!!! That's terrible!
Old 06-30-2004, 07:33 AM   #6
Arena Director

Smokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond reputeSmokin' Ace has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
Wow.. I've always had to fill in the ethnic choice box at any doctors or hospital I've gone to before... Why was'nt her ethnic background in her files or on her chart?
All of this was on her chart with her doctor, but she had to have a different procedure done at the hospital, per her doctor, and the anesthesiologist saw her and assumed that she was Spanish (again the mix) and gave her what a Anglo/Spanish could handle. Like Singing Otter said, ethnic people can not handle certain meds.

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Old 06-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #7
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Blood Types

What it has to do with is blood types. In addition to the ABO types all of us have, there are particular 'antigens' specific to different ethnicities that may or may not be present. If you think about our predisposition to diabetes, for example, it shouldn't surprise us that their are certain systemic issues we face as Native. What is supposed to happen when you have ANY kind of surgery is that you ARE asked that all important question 'what ethnicity are you'? The clinic/hospital should take a blood sample immediately and send it to find out if, in addition to your A positive or whatever, your blood contains one of the rare antigens common to your ethnicity. Hispanics aren't off the hook, either, because they can have specific antigens that if ignored could mean life or death. If you are given products that are non-compatible with the antigen you are going to have an allergic reaction. It is particularly important with babies that need to be given cord blood or in bone marrow that these factors be considered. This partially explains your sister's misfortune and also explains why there is usually a constant effort on the part of blood banks to appeal to the different ethnic communities to donate blood products. In fact, if you know you are going to have surgery and MAY need blood products autologous blood donation is preferred. That is, for the relatively healthy patient who faces surgery (I know it sounds weird) donating their own blood to be used if needed, is preferable. Our bodies replace what was taken rather quickly. Your sister's issue appeared to be just anesthesia-related, but if you could really get the hospital, docs to take responsibility you would probably find that the proverbial 'ball' that was dropped was in pre-op cross-matching which would have given the anesthesiologist valuable information, as well.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 09:44 AM   #8
Arena Director

Exactly, and the ball was dropped by the anesthesiologist, and the head of anesthesiolgy was the one who noticed the error, after she had spent a week in pain. The head of the department looked at her and immediately asked her what was her ethnic background. When she stated she was Native/Spanish - he immediately knew was the problem was. He informed her that an error such as this could cost someone their life. Different ethnic groups have different compositions and the medications that may be right for an Anglo, a Native can not handle. Nor can an African American. It is even more frightening for folks of mixed blood - because if an emergency were to arise, the medical staff may just judge a person by what they THINK the person is, without knowing all the facts of their genetic background.

My sis is so much better. When she called me on Monday night, I told her that I would definitely post information about it for her. I am learning about this and thought I would share it with you.

Be blessed - got love???

This b me.....

www.myspace.com/akayo
Old 06-30-2004, 10:15 AM   #9
=============

Kool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond reputeKool Breeze has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 580.34
Hey Doc I'm Indian. I need that good $hit. Ayee!
Old 06-30-2004, 10:38 AM   #10
Teen Dancer

Sewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond reputeSewickly has a reputation beyond repute
My mom just recently had a stroke, she's fine, thank God, but jsut some shor term memory loss. But she was sent to a nephrologist that did a full History on her, once my Mom told her she was Native, she then understood her whole body make-up and chemistry. Now we have Irish, and my Mom looks more Irish, but she is shaped like a Mattamuskeet/Tuscarora for real. But anyway, her body make-up is Native. She told my Mom, which she already does that every procedure that she is to go thru make sure that the Physician that ordered it knows that she is Native. Because yes our body chemistry is like no other.

My Dad had a procedure done yesterday, and I told his Dr. that he was Native, and he made sure that it was in his record, and he had to add something else to knock him out, because he was not going to close his eyes otherwise. Yes, they gave my daddy the good $hit! And he walke out of the hospital, and tried to go to work last night. But anyway, our chemistry is different, and we cannot take what mainstream society takes on a regular basis.

Last edited by Sewickly; 06-30-2004 at 10:52 AM..
Sewickly is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
Indio Face

Sinsonnary is on a distinguished road
True That

Yep - I just recently had major surgery and they actually asked me to give 2 pints before the surgery because of my blood type..etc.
I was impressed they caught this one - my Dr knows my heritage and requested it.
Worked out ok.
Sinsonnary is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM   #12
Choc-lack-chick!

Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Homalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond reputeHomalosa has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 535.92
It's important that mixedbloods let doctors know too. My story still makes me mad. I have a history of diabetes on both the Black and Indian sides of my family. Doctors have always known of the history but not where it came from. Yet I was never screened for diabetes until I was in my twenties and a doctor asked me if anyone in family had ever passed away due to diabetes, and if so, what was their nationality. The doctor responded with immediated diabetes screenings. I asked her why and she said, "it's procedure to screen anyone with native american heritage. I told her that the disease is on both sides of my family and that if 80% of all african americans have native blood, then blacks should be screened too. She looked at me like I was crazy.
And Smoking Ace, what you said really tripped me out because when I had an epidural with baby number 2 I got the shivers; teetch chaterring the whole nine. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.
Homalosa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-30-2004, 01:06 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

This is real interesting to hear. Although I don't have enough NA blood to even say I was mixed, my mother's family did, and they have all had stuff like diabetes, and strange reactions to meds like you all are describing. I wonder if they're being mixed and the docs not knowing it was a result of some of these things. (Not the diabetes - the other stuff).
Old 06-30-2004, 01:18 PM   #14
meeeeeeeeeeee

Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homalosa
It's important that mixedbloods let doctors know too. My story still makes me mad. I have a history of diabetes on both the Black and Indian sides of my family. Doctors have always known of the history but not where it came from. Yet I was never screened for diabetes until I was in my twenties and a doctor asked me if anyone in family had ever passed away due to diabetes, and if so, what was their nationality. The doctor responded with immediated diabetes screenings. I asked her why and she said, "it's procedure to screen anyone with native american heritage. I told her that the disease is on both sides of my family and that if 80% of all african americans have native blood, then blacks should be screened too. She looked at me like I was crazy.
And Smoking Ace, what you said really tripped me out because when I had an epidural with baby number 2 I got the shivers; teetch chaterring the whole nine. Wonder if that had anything to do with it.
There is a component that is usually added to blood and other products so that no coagulation occurs. This frequently induces the shivers and shakes in patients. I'm not sure exactly what the connection is but the blood banks usually give donors who do platelet or plasma pheresis (this is where they take out your blood, keeping only the parts they want, and send the rest of your blood back to you after it has gone through a centrifuge) a cup of calcium fortified rolaids to chew on in the event they start feeling extremely cold, get the shivers, etc.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-06-2004, 08:38 PM   #15
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
I had an epidural during my daughter's birth too, and had problems afterwards that the Dr couldn't explain, almost like muscle spasms in my spinal cord, or sticking my finger in a light socket and it only ran up and down my spine!

A couple years ago I had to have an ultra sound of my gall bladder, and the attendant asked me if I was Native, and I said yes, she asked if I had noticed the skull looking shadow on my ultrasound, I said yes, it was freaky, but I wasn't going to say anything, she said that it only shows up on Native Americans! She didn't ask me beforehand because she's not allowed to ask, regardless of what the patient looks like, but she can always tell the Native Americans by the skull shadow!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2004, 01:05 AM   #16
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Breeze
Hey Doc I'm Indian. I need that good $hit. Ayee!
*lmao*

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-07-2004, 03:52 AM   #17
Junior Dancer

Wow! It's a shadow of your gall bladder?
Sponsored Links