Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree101Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2018, 05:43 PM   #1
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 51,802.73
Savings: 0.00
The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America

I'm trying to understand something I've been seeing in some discussions on Powwows.com recently. A number of folks, who are members of tribe indigenous the areas of the Americas outside the USA, have been discussing the term "Native American." They have been asking and even arguing a bit about the meaning and, by extension, the boundaries of the term. I feel that somehow in folks from tribes outside the US, there is some additional dimension to the term.

So, I ask them:

What does the term "Native American" mean to you?

What does it mean to be included within the definition? Excluded?

Do you assign some political or legal import to being included?
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2018, 06:19 PM   #2
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 52,465.96
Savings: 1.00
I don't know anything about anything !

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.
It's not me....I think you're an idiot !

There's a chance you might not like me ,

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
wardancer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Tiny Tot Dancer

JiuJitsuFighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 795.86
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
I'm trying to understand something I've been seeing in some discussions on Powwows.com recently. A number of folks, who are members of tribe indigenous the areas of the Americas outside the USA, have been discussing the term "Native American." They have been asking and even arguing a bit about the meaning and, by extension, the boundaries of the term. I feel that somehow in folks from tribes outside the US, there is some additional dimension to the term.

So, I ask them:

What does the term "Native American" mean to you?

What does it mean to be included within the definition? Excluded?

Do you assign some political or legal import to being included?
Native american to me is someone native to the Americas. To be included in the definition to me would be to have ancestors who originated on this continent. Excluded? To me excluded would be if your family did not originate on this continent. Of course this all means nothing if you believe in the migration story across the bering strait.
Nothing political or legal about the native question/term, I was just curious how native people from the U.S. viewed people from Mexico guatemala area. In my opinion indigenous people from north america, central america, south america, this entire continent are Native americans. What do you folks think?
ChildrenFromTheSun likes this.
JiuJitsuFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 PM   #4
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 107,232.79
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardancer View Post
I don't know anything about anything !
And I don't know nuttin' about nuttin'.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2018, 02:18 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

Thatís it? Nothing about nothing?
Say whatís on your mind. No need to hold back folks. I truthfully ask things to get STRAIGHT answers. And when Iím asked I give them.
Trust me I deal with societies best and donít get my feelings hurt lol Iím sure I can handle a little internet discussion without getting hurt.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:46 AM   #6
small bead addict

Items ElephantPresentDolphinRainbow
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
subeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond reputesubeeds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,407.71
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuJitsuFighter View Post
That’s it? Nothing about nothing?
Say what’s on your mind. No need to hold back folks. I truthfully ask things to get STRAIGHT answers. And when I’m asked I give them.
Trust me I deal with societies best and don’t get my feelings hurt lol I’m sure I can handle a little internet discussion without getting hurt.
You're new here. Don't mind JD and WD. Most of us don't. Good to see you JD. 'Bout time you start hangin' out with us again.
windanncer and AmigoKumeyaay like this.

I will not feed the troll-well, I will try.
subeeds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2018, 04:01 AM   #7
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
You're new here. Don't mind JD and WD. Most of us don't. Good to see you JD. 'Bout time you start hangin' out with us again.
Hey! Thanks man, or woman...I donít mind wd or jd im sure their probably elders and have the right to be themselves.. Iím sure we will be friends one day lol I might even get accepted as a real Native American hahahaha
But really, I appreciate jd, wd, subeeds,olchemist and everyone whoís bothered to take the time to reply to anything Iíve written. you all couldíve just ignored me.. and that doesnít mean to ignore anything I right from now on hahahaha
I think I like this grumpy group lol jk (about the grumpy part)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:04 AM   #8
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by subeeds View Post
By the way this comment seemed like it meant soo much more because the first picture I saw after reading it was E.T. Pointing at me.
gilisi likes this.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:58 AM   #9
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not an elder like JD and Wd, I'm just a lady geezer, LOL. But, over my years associating with intelligent life on this planet and in academia, which may not qualify as intelligent life (j/k), I've heard this term used to describe different populations of peoples indigenous to the Americas. It seems like every group and governmental agency draws the boundaries in different places.

Just a sampling from the internet:

"a member of any of the indigenous peoples of the western hemisphere; especially : a Native American of North America and especially the U.S." -- Merriam-Webster

"a member of any of the indigenous peoples of the Americas." -- Google Dictionary

"a member of any of the groups of people that lived in North America before the Europeans arrived." -- Cambridge Dictionary

In my experience, most Native people (non academics), who speak American English (not Canadian English), use the term to mean people who are descendants of populations indigenous to per-contact North America, who's traditional territories fell within the contemporary boundaries of the continental US. The term is, as the quotes below indicate, interchangeable with Indian or American Indian.

"Usage Note: Native American is now fully established in American English as an equivalent of Indian, being acceptable in all contemporary contexts and preferred in many...." -- American Heritage Dictionary

Indian (n) - "A member of any of the Native American peoples except the Eskimos, Aleuts, and Inuits."-- American Heritage Dictionary

In the US, the term American Indian has a legal dimension related to governmental obligations to citizens of tribes which are signatory to various treaties with the US and preceding British colonial government. The exact parsing of these boundaries is complex and in some cases context dependent.

It has been my experience that many folks who descend from peoples indigenous to lands south of the US border, tend to get very hung up on whether my (or some other Indian's) personal Euler diagram for the term includes or excludes them. In some cases, it is my perception that this arises from the belief that I'm somehow saying they're not a "real" indigenous to the Americas people. In a few cases it seems to me that the tension has originated with belief that if they were included within the "Native American" rubric, they would be entitled to the services extended to citizens of federally recognized tribes. It seems that the more distant the connection to their Native culture, the greater the emotion involved.

Now, I accept that perhaps my perceptions are in error and influenced by my own biases. Hence, I am asking some of those who have repeatedly questioned the definition of "Native American" to share no just a dictionary definition, but the larger meaning.

I will shut my yap, after a final observation: Almost every time I've been with Native people, with strong ties to their cultures, they meet, greet and connect by identifying tribe and mutual social or kinship connections

Last edited by OLChemist; 02-12-2018 at 10:07 AM..
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
wardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond reputewardancer has a reputation beyond repute
Some of us are grumpy ! LOL I'm just not into all this "Politically Correct" bu!!chit ! And I'm just an older , I don't qualify as an Elder . I am Cheyenne , Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho to be exact. I'm not ndn , Indian , Indigenous , Native American , American Native , or American Indian. I am Cheyenne. The P.C. movement has gone over the edge of sanity. People are trying too hard to not hurt somebodies feelings !
If what you say is correct , and I have no reason to believe otherwise , then you sir are from the south. You come from the native population from those areas you mentioned , so apparently that is how you identify. Does it really matter what I think ? I certainly don't care ! I am Cheyenne. I dance Northern Traditional , I am a retired Bricklayer , I build regalia and bead. I try to be as honest and good as modern society allows. That's who I am , no more , no less ! Oh yeah , I consider Joe'sDad to be my friend as well as Ol'C , Subeeds , Gilisi and many others on this site !The world is not so big that powwows.commers don't run into each other from time to time. I have met many members at various powwows around the country. Now you know who I am , and my opinion of the P.C.Movement !~ LOL Now , in my opinion , prior to "discovery" there were NO Such Things as Mexicans ! Only different tribes of people native to that area. There were no borders other than territorial lines defined by those tribes. I'll pizz some more off by saying "in my opinion , that the "Mexican People" of today are only mixed blood natives from being conquered by invaders ! Now , there it is ! LOL

They say blood is thicker than water ! Now maple syrup is thicker than blood , so are pancakes more important than family ?

There are "Elders" and there are "Olders". Being the second one doesn't make the first one true !

Somebody is out there somewhere, thinking of you and the impact you made in their life.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 02-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #11
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
LOL. And WD illustrates my final point in under 10 minutes, LOL
Old 02-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Some of us are grumpy ! LOL I'm just not into all this "Politically Correct" bu!!chit ! And I'm just an older , I don't qualify as an Elder . I am Cheyenne , Southern Cheyenne and Arapaho to be exact. I'm not ndn , Indian , Indigenous , Native American , American Native , or American Indian. I am Cheyenne. The P.C. movement has gone over the edge of sanity. People are trying too hard to not hurt somebodies feelings !
If what you say is correct , and I have no reason to believe otherwise , then you sir are from the south. You come from the native population from those areas you mentioned , so apparently that is how you identify. Does it really matter what I think ? I certainly don't care ! I am Cheyenne. I dance Northern Traditional , I am a retired Bricklayer , I build regalia and bead. I try to be as honest and good as modern society allows. That's who I am , no more , no less ! Oh yeah , I consider Joe'sDad to be my friend as well as Ol'C , Subeeds , Gilisi and many others on this site !The world is not so big that powwows.commers don't run into each other from time to time. I have met many members at various powwows around the country. Now you know who I am , and my opinion of the P.C.Movement !~ LOL Now , in my opinion , prior to "discovery" there were NO Such Things as Mexicans ! Only different tribes of people native to that area. There were no borders other than territorial lines defined by those tribes. I'll pizz some more off by saying "in my opinion , that the "Mexican People" of today are only mixed blood natives from being conquered by invaders ! Now , there it is ! LOL
I tried to hit the like button but it didnít work. I actually agree with everything you said.
windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #13
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
LOL. And WD illustrates my final point in under 10 minutes, LOL
Plain English works best lol dumb it down a bit lol
And it sounds better coming from wd for some reason.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:58 PM   #14
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Wardancer, serious question. Do you have any European blood at all?
The majority of my blood is Indian blood but I do have a small amount of Spaniard blood from my great X5 grandmother who was from Spain. So correct Iíam a little mixed. But I identify with the part that makes up the most of me. Not the 10% of me or less thatís spanish blood. That would be ridiculous lol. Who would do that? &#129354&#129354
windanncer and gilisi like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:34 PM   #15
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
Quote:
Plain English works best lol dumb it down a bit lol
This is my plain English. Come to my lab and we can talk programing, lasers, optics, spectroscopy and/or quantum mechanics. Bet I can make you beg for my plain English, LOL.

Quote:
And it sounds better coming from wd for some reason.
The curse of the woman in the hard sciences or computer science; it always sounds better or, at least, more authoritative when coming from a man, LOL. I've considered having Darth Vader do voice over on some of my talks. It would improve the attention span and the Q&A session would be a breeze. "I find your lack of faith disturbing."
windanncer and Broken Arrow like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:50 PM   #16
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Wardancer, serious question. Do you have any European blood at all?
The majority of my blood is Indian blood but I do have a small amount of Spaniard blood from my great X5 grandmother who was from Spain. So correct Iíam a little mixed. But I identify with the part that makes up the most of me. Not the 10% of me or less thatís spanish blood. That would be ridiculous lol. Who would do that? &#129354&#129354
Yes actually I do , On my mothers side. Scots/Irish is how it's described though it's actually Scottish. I have researched it a bit , found the family crest. Kinda interesting.....but not as interesting as knowing my G.Grandfather sat on his horse at the age of 10, on top of a hill , watching the battle of the Little Big Horn. We are who we identify as. Everyone who knows me knows who I am. In non-PC terms I'm that ndn guy down on the corner ! LOL

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 02-09-2018, 02:10 PM   #17
Pow Wow Committee

gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
gilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond reputegilisi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 55,124.95
Quote:
Yes actually I do , On my mothers side. Scots/Irish is how it's described though it's actually Scottish. I have researched it a bit , found the family crest. Kinda interesting.....but not as interesting as knowing my G.Grandfather sat on his horse at the age of 10, on top of a hill , watching the battle of the Little Big Horn. We are who we identify as. Everyone who knows me knows who I am. In non-PC terms I'm that ndn guy down on the corner ! LOL
Does that mean your great-grandma is a Scottish princess?!!!

"Show me somethin"
gilisi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-09-2018, 02:11 PM   #18
Me & Eyes r doin' goot !

Items DevilPresent
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilisi View Post
Does that mean your great-grandma is a Scottish princess?!!!
That IS the rumor ! But I can't prove it !
OLChemist, windanncer and gilisi like this.

but there's a bigger

chance I won't care
Old 02-09-2018, 02:47 PM   #19
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
I'm gonna need therapy to erase the image of WD in his feather hat and kilt. Hope you got better knees than most Scotsmen I know.
windanncer, subeeds and gilisi like this.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:51 PM   #20
Tiny Tot Dancer

[QUOTE=OLChemist;1634952]This is my plain English. Come to my lab and we can talk programing, lasers, optics, spectroscopy and/or quantum mechanics. Bet I can make you beg for my plain English, LOL.

The curse of the woman in the hard sciences or computer science; it always sounds better or, at least, more authoritative when coming from a man, LOL. I've considered having Darth Vader do voice over on some of my talks. It would improve the attention span and the Q&A session would be a breeze. "I find your lack of faith disturbing."[/QUOTE

Last edited by JiuJitsuFighter; 02-09-2018 at 08:42 PM..
Sponsored Links