Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree116Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America The Term Native American and Indigenous Peoples the Caribbean and Lat. America

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 12:35 PM   #81
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
JiuJitsuFighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 810.91
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBrokenArrow View Post
@OLChemist @wardancer @JiuJitsuFighter I came across this article in "Indian Country Today" and it speaks about this very subject that everyone is kinda sorta debating here on this thread. So I was wondering what was your opinion on it. You all know how I had a difficult time at first when I was looking for my family and trying to find out more about my ancestors. Not everyone is as fortunate as I have been to have actually found my family's tribe and gone be with them and be accepted by them and learn from them. Even though it wasn't under the best of circumstances, I feel abundantly blessed. So I was wondering what your opinions are on this Blood Quantum article and if you feel that blood quantum is important and if it is important to your individual tribes? Do you think that the tribes should be more creative when it comes to blood quantum?

https://indiancountrymedianetwork.co...blood-quantum/
I read the article. It was pretty good.
You know what I worry about. I worry about my kids and my grand kids or great grandkids, or even great great grandkids. What happens if they marry a non Indian or their kids have less “Indian blood” running through their veins.. I would hate for someone to give them a hard time about whether their Indian or not based off those things. And if anyone person on here has kids and they choose to marry a non Indian, guess what the blood gets thinner and thinner.
I guess my point to this is I’m going to focus my energy on other things related to my people.
LizBrokenArrow likes this.

Last edited by JiuJitsuFighter; 05-10-2018 at 12:37 PM..
JiuJitsuFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #82
Liz Broken Arrow

LizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond reputeLizBrokenArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,035.30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuJitsuFighter View Post
I read the article. It was pretty good.
You know what I worry about. I worry about my kids and my grand kids or great grandkids, or even great great grandkids. What happens if they marry a non Indian or their kids have less “Indian blood” running through their veins.. I would hate for someone to give them a hard time about whether their Indian or not based off those things. And if anyone person on here has kids and they choose to marry a non Indian, guess what the blood gets thinner and thinner.
I guess my point to this is I’m going to focus my energy on other things related to my people.
I thought about that too. I mean, I met my family's tribe and they welcomed me with open arms and a big heart. They didn't want me to leave. I wanted to stay too. I am going back soon. I had plans on just going back with my younger son. However, after reading this article, I feel like I should take both my sons and my grandson. I think it would benefit them to meet their family and learn where they come, and get their hands dirty as well and help them out as they work to restore their homes and reservation. It would be an experience for them that they will never forget. I married a non-Indian. So my kids Indigenous blood ends up being from my side. So like you said, their blood gets thinner and thinner. I too am focusing my energy as well in making sure that my kids know everything that there is to know related to their family and ancestors. I still have a lot to learn myself, but so happy that I have my uncle who's the Chief of his tribe to teach me, and I can pass that along to my kids, and they can pass that along to their kids, and so on.

I am looking to join a Pow Wow dance team anywhere in New Jersey. Dance Style: Jingle Dancing.

Thank You Creator For All Of Your Blessings.
LizBrokenArrow is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #83
Tiny Tot Dancer

JiuJitsuFighter is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 810.91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizBrokenArrow View Post
I thought about that too. I mean, I met my family's tribe and they welcomed me with open arms and a big heart. They didn't want me to leave. I wanted to stay too. I am going back soon. I had plans on just going back with my younger son. However, after reading this article, I feel like I should take both my sons and my grandson. I think it would benefit them to meet their family and learn where they come, and get their hands dirty as well and help them out as they work to restore their homes and reservation. It would be an experience for them that they will never forget. I married a non-Indian. So my kids Indigenous blood ends up being from my side. So like you said, their blood gets thinner and thinner. I too am focusing my energy as well in making sure that my kids know everything that there is to know related to their family and ancestors. I still have a lot to learn myself, but so happy that I have my uncle who's the Chief of his tribe to teach me, and I can pass that along to my kids, and they can pass that along to their kids, and so on.
That is legit.
LizBrokenArrow likes this.
JiuJitsuFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links