Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Vine Deloria has walked on... Vine Deloria has walked on...

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2005, 01:16 PM   #1
meeeeeeeeeeee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Exclamation Vine Deloria has walked on...

I received this message dated Sunday, November 13, from Bill Bradford this morning.....

Dear Brothers and Sisters,
The entire Indian world has lost a great man today. This morning, Vine Deloria, without doubt the greatest scholar of federal Indian law and policy and the inspiration for everyone who followed after him, passed away. We will miss him in many ways.

Love to all of you, and health and happiness too.

Bill

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Last edited by Plenty Fox; 11-14-2005 at 01:24 PM..
Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
I'm very sorry to hear this.. my condolences to the entire family.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 40,592.84
He was a great writer. God is Red was soooo good. I'm sad to hear of his passing.

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2005, 05:54 PM   #4
~Pwowfeva~

amarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond reputeamarie49 has a reputation beyond repute
Vine Deloria Jr.

This man's work changed my life. I first started reading his books in college and I felt like my eyes were opened for the first time. I had the pleasure of hearing him speak and meeting him at Haskell Indian Nations University about two years ago. He was a leader in so many ways for Native people. I am sad to hear of his passing. I admired him so much. He challenged non-Indian idealogies and was not afraid to voice his opinion.
amarie49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #5
Pow Wow Spectator

ten_dore is on a distinguished road
Vine Deloria

My friend sent me an article last night and what a huge loss.
I think a large number of our Native teachers, and tribal leaders took a lesson or two from the writings of Deloria.
I found a copy of God Is Red in my high school library and I still have the 'borrowed' copy today. That book meant a lot to me. Most if it was way over my head the first time I read it, but I re-read things and I saw an organized thought process in what was written there and I figured if someone took the time and energy to put into words how our people feel, then I'm not alone in being pissed off and angry at how bad the rest of the country reacts to our people. I didn't know Deloria personally, but I respect the message that came from him. I respect the integrity and the ability to stand by personal beliefs and opinions, through his work I learned a lot and I was only reading it!
In my lifetime I'm honored to have been a part of such a strong movement in Indian education, self-determination, and language preservation for our people. For someone of Deloria's ability, we've witnessed, and realize that we have the means of becoming so much more for our families and communities. He was a part of the beginning.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Notes from Indian Country

A loss that cannot be replaced
Tim Giago (Nanwica Kciji) 11/21/2005

© 2005, Native American Journalists Foundation, Inc.

The accolades and tributes to Vine Deloria Jr., are well deserved and they have come from all corners of the world. Deloria died last week after a lengthy battle with cancer.

I have my own feelings about this very special man. He was an inspiration to many of us back in the old days when some of us were attempting to become writers and journalists. He was born in Martin, S. D., the same town that was the home of the original Lakota Times when I owned it, but there are no reminders of his presence there. I hope that will come later.

I think that some of my friends who were also his friends can say it better than me.

Janine Pease, a respected Indian educator, said of Vine, “I am so saddened to learn of Vine’s passing. Only this morning I am preparing to teach Introduction to Native American Studies from the text of his book Nations Within.”

“Vine is a major intellectual force in Indian country and has been for four decades. Professor Deloria stepped into the sixties as a constructionist of American Indian history and master of current policy development. Building the record, telling the story and having a say was the Deloria artistry,” she said.

Pease always referred to Deloria as “Professor.” She said, “Professor Deloria always struck on America’s most sacred myths and had a means of jumping into the topics with both feet. The titles of his books more than measured the difficult and contentious topics he was more than willing to examine and from an American Indian perspective. He wrote about federal Indian policies, historical icons, and anthropologists and even about God (herself), and about western scientists, historians and always with poignant, even bald frankness. Our study of American Indian history and the courses on Indian policy took a newly charted path following the line of examination and inquiry of Deloria.”

She concluded, “Professor Deloria was an American Indian historian, philosopher and politician of major proportion, unlike anyone else out there in Indian country. In the Crow Indian tradition the public announcer would say, “Look and see how we are. Today we are fine, intelligent and good looking and we must appreciate how we are for we will never be like this again.” How we are today as Indian people is far finer, more intelligent and better looking than we were forty years ago because Professor Deloria walked with us along this path to a new season for Indian people.”

Lydia Whirlwind Soldier, a poet, author and retired educator said of Deloria, “It would be difficult to write in a few paragraphs about the contributions Vine Deloria made to all Native American tribes and to the American society in general. Words fail to describe my appreciation for all of his contributions. Vine Deloria’s generation were those who were in the front lines fighting for justice. I am proud to say Vine was a leader who did not hesitate to stand up to those in power. His intellect and words brought reality and awareness to the society at large of the injustices suffered by Native American tribes. When I think of Vine the Lakota words Woohitika (bravery) and Wowacintanka (fortitude) come to mind. He was a true Dakota.”

Doris Giago, a professor of journalism at South Dakota State University in Brookings said of Vine, “I think what we learned from Vine Deloria is that we should embrace our Indian identities because culture is strength not weakness. In addition, in so much of his scholarly work, he set the record straight after generations of distortions by non-Indian writers on such topics as history, political science, Indian law, religion and ecology. We can also thank him for standing up to the federal government’s termination policy and for leading the way in regard to treaty rights and self-determination. Most remarkably though, he taught society and the world about the dignity and richness of the cultures and the peoples the U. S. government wanted to eliminate. Vine Deloria, Jr., was truly an advocate for American Indian freedom. He did not walk this earth in vain.”

I remember 40 years ago when we (Indians) didn’t have an author who was one of us, one who could write a book from an Indian perspective and believe it or not, an Indian does see things in a whole different way than a non-Indian.

When Vine’s books like God is Red and Custer Died for Your Sins, and his writings that appeared in magazines and newspapers across America, it gave heart to all Indians. We, at last, had a champion who could be our voice and our conscience.

And when some of us became discouraged and disillusioned about America, Vine would let us know that we were not alone and that things would get better. He once told me, “Tim, keep that newspaper going and keep on writing because it does make a difference.”

Professor Deloria will be greatly missed by all Native Americans and by many of his non-Indian friends. He gave us light where there had been darkness and courage where there had been fear. For many, he will live on forever in the books he gave us. His words will always be a part of our history, our traditions and our culture.

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links