PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture

PowWows.com Forums - Native American Culture (http://forums.powwows.com/)
-   Native Issues (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/)
-   -   We are Chiefs (http://forums.powwows.com/f26/we-chiefs-63400/)

rezrazed 04-13-2012 01:27 PM

We are Chiefs

Strolling through a local advert site looking for a new project to play in, I came across a ad from a band called Cheifs. checked out their webpage and this http://wearechiefs.com/ is what came up. When asked if they were a Native band, they responded, "We are not your traditional native Americans but we are original native
Americans. Straight soul rebels." Yet they use images of Traditional Native Americans. Thoughts?

wyo_rose 04-13-2012 02:08 PM

Reminds me of this band called WE ARE ROFKAR....which is my last name. I thought maybe one of my Rofkar relatives started a band, but on checking...they just knew a guy with that last name...like it ... and named their band after it.

Luckily they didn't last long..and maybe this band won't either.

comadre 04-13-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyo_rose (Post 1531560)
Reminds me of this band called WE ARE ROFKAR....which is my last name. I thought maybe one of my Rofkar relatives started a band, but on checking...they just knew a guy with that last name...like it ... and named their band after it.

Luckily they didn't last long..and maybe this band won't either.

Wyo_ you really feel strongly about what you posted? TWICE! LOL

wyo_rose 04-13-2012 02:55 PM

:lol: That's what my stupid Droid phone does!! :lol:

rezrazed 04-13-2012 03:29 PM

I finally got a response from them I asked if they were NAtive, cause I'm thinking cool a native rock band alright! yeah NO! this is his response

That's cool man. We get that question a lot and to be honest it's a stupid question. We are NOT native in blood, we us the name chiefs and the imagery bc we are soul rebels, anti capitalist, anti consumerist, we are paying respect to the original americans we relate to (especially bring from Phx) We Arnt just some band, we have a message and our message is about being the most pure human you can possibly be (mentally and physically) Chiefs in the purest form of life. It's 2012, color of skin doesn't mean ****, the fight toward truth is anyones fight and should not be narrowed into racist terms. It's ALL about respect.

No blood but relate to natives, the anti-capitalist anti-consumerist pure americans? Wannabe blah blah blah blah PUKE!

RestlessN8iv 04-13-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezrazed (Post 1531582)
No blood but relate to natives, the anti-capitalist anti-consumerist pure Americans? Wannabe blah blah blah blah PUKE!

So they're what, just more hippies that want to be Indians?

rezrazed 04-13-2012 03:59 PM

Just a couple of kids who want to revolutionize the world with their pure spirit way of thinking. So probably hipplets (hippy kids)

Toolbox 04-14-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rezrazed (Post 1531582)
No blood but relate to natives, the anti-capitalist anti-consumerist pure americans? Wannabe blah blah blah blah PUKE!

Anti-capitalist and consumerist to the point that they buy Fender guiatrs, Marshall amps and all the recording equipment and software to make their music and drive their brand named van to gigs and get paid for it.... Funny. Makes them even more "hipplets".

neling4 04-14-2012 12:48 AM

https://www.facebook.com/ChiefsPHX

Found them on Facebook.

rezrazed 04-14-2012 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1531614)
Anti-capitalist and consumerist to the point that they buy Fender guiatrs, Marshall amps and all the recording equipment and software to make their music and drive their brand named van to gigs and get paid for it.... Funny. Makes them even more "hipplets".

:lol: you are so getting rep when it let's me.

RestlessN8iv 04-14-2012 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toolbox (Post 1531614)

Amen, thus is the nature of such creatures:

"I don't believe in chasing money/can you spare some change?"

"I believe in love, and tolerance, AND YOU'D BETTER AGREE!"

"I feel a deep spiritual connection with the American Indian despite the fact that I know little to nothing about them"

This stuff either irritates or amuses me, depending on the day of the week.

ETA: and the dim- witted, lollygaggers can't even spell "chiefs"!

rezrazed 04-16-2012 01:56 PM

WOW, you have to check out the new webpage. They took down the picture of the native on horseback with full head dress, and now a pic of a guy with a buffalo head.
If you want to complain they have a contact section

neling4 04-16-2012 03:27 PM

That's creepy.

RestlessN8iv 04-17-2012 02:53 AM

Brain bleach, NOW!

subeeds 04-17-2012 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Section 8 (Post 1531962)
Brain bleach, NOW!

No, I had to use it all!! LOL!

yaahl 04-17-2012 10:53 AM

Ick... they look like they are trying for the Greek Minotaur look. OMMPA!

rezrazed 04-17-2012 11:56 AM

Well, he did say that they decided to never use native, depictions and or art again, but I have to wonder, why they chose to use the buffalo head, specifically an animal so closely associated to many Native tribes? And then have to point out that someone had to purchase that rather EXPENSIVE buffalo head, and they had to spend money on the camera and the camera man, and printing and screening and the website... not really good anti-capitalist and anti consumer behavior, now is it?

subeeds 04-18-2012 01:28 AM

He pointed it out because, IMHO, they are just a bunch of silver spoon kid wannabes.

KewlMohawkGirl 04-18-2012 02:58 PM

I guess it might make it al right in their minds if it is not their money that they are spending. :omg_smile

rezrazed 04-18-2012 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subeeds (Post 1532075)
He pointed it out because, IMHO, they are just a bunch of silver spoon kid wannabes.

subeeds sorry for the confusion, I guess I didn't convey appropriately the distinction between his wording and my thoughts. I meant to say that I would have to point out that, for and anti-capitalist and anti-consumerist, someone had to purchase that head. But your conclusion is still correct I believe, they area couple of silverspoons