Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What is Authentic? What is Authentic?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #1
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
crazydazy has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
What is Authentic?

I have been doing some ebay shopping lately in an effort to buy regalia supplies for my son. I have come across some great deals but I am a little confused and I hope that someone can shed some light on something for me. what exactly constitutes an Authentic native american craft. I thought that you had to be registered federally or through the state to claim this when you sell items claiming that they are authentic. I am not arguing who is or who isn't native because thats their own thing and I don't want this thread to turn into a conversation about this. I would like to know what people think about the idea that people pass themselves off as selling authentic crafts. Does it undermine those who are selling the real deal? I tried emailing this seller but got no reply. The person claims to be registered but he doesn't mention that the tribe is unrecognized. It just seems like they have done everything that they can to pass themselves off as authentic.

On that note what are the policies here when it comes to selling on the trading post?
crazydazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Important Information -
One of our goals is to bring the public, Native American arts and crafts.
Unfortunately there is much fraud in the Native arts and crafts. If you are
trying to hire a real Native American or buy Native arts and crafts, make sure
they are properly represented. By government definition, an Indian is defined
as a member of a federally or officially State recognized tribe. There are cards that can be bought
online that are not official tribal cards, these will not have issued by a specific
tribe written on them. Please help us keep fraud out of Native America. If you
feel you know of falsely identified "Natives" arts and or crafts, or would like to
know more about the Indians arts and craft act of 1990 click on the link directly
below.

http://www.doi.gov/iacb/index.html
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
The item must be made by a member of a federally recognized tribe, not someone who just claims the name of said recognized tribe. If the tribe is'nt federally recognized, then the claim of "authentic" is false according to the law.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:38 PM   #4
Junior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
The item must be made by a member of a federally recognized tribe, not someone who just claims the name of said recognized tribe. If the tribe is'nt federally recognized, then the claim of "authentic" is false according to the law.
So do the same rules apply here on powwows.com. I feel kinda bad about bringing this up but I also feel bad for the people who think that they are getting authentically made stuff and the fact that this person is taking business away from "real indians". This person has even gone as far as calling themselves a chief. Am I being petty. If this person were advertising on here what would happen?
Old 01-05-2006, 06:46 PM   #5
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
as far as this site I would have to say thats up to Paul G he is the owner and has the last say lol
Old 01-05-2006, 06:53 PM   #6
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydazy
So do the same rules apply here on powwows.com. I feel kinda bad about bringing this up but I also feel bad for the people who think that they are getting authentically made stuff and the fact that this person is taking business away from "real indians". This person has even gone as far as calling themselves a chief. Am I being petty. If this person were advertising on here what would happen?
It is funny how some people will refer to themselves as a chief, and never be called on it. I believe I know whom you are referring to; he looks a bit young and lacking of color to be a Chief, doesn't he. I'm always on guard about people who use the word: AUTHENTIC.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-05-2006, 07:13 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

I was on guard too so i investigated before I purchased and found that he sells on here and on ebay and claims to be a cheif of some bogus tribe. While I feel kinda petty for wanting to rat him out I think that he should be. I am sure that he is hard working and all but it just isn't fair for him to take money away from those who have the inherent right to make it. I have looked on ebay for a way to report him but have not had any luck. I don't think that I want to go as far as reporting him to the government.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:42 PM   #8
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
The rules DO apply on here because it is FEDERAL law. You can PM me who it is if you want to Crazydazy.. and I'll see what I can find out/do, if necessary.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
HERE'S THE BIOGRAPHY FROM HIS WEBSITE:

Clan Chief Wesly "Two Eagles" Wright was born and raised in Richmond, Virginia. He was born on January
17th, 1982. Tali Awohali(Two Eagles) discovered his heritage when he was eleven years old. This was due to
family history studies that Two Eagles' mother, "Tali Ugidali Anigisdinidvlenvda Hia Adanvdo(Two Feathers of
the Heart)" was studying. They discovered 4 Tsalagi(Cherokee) bloodlines and one line of Ndee(Apache.) His
Native Bloodlines did not start mixing with other Ethnic Cultures until his Great Grandparents.
He met his Uncle John Sun Eagle on the Mattaponi Indian Reservation in King William County, VA. His Uncle
taught him many of his traditions, and language, but the craft work that Two Eagles makes came natural to him.
Two Eagles made his first regalia when he was 12, and started dancing at powwows. His favorite powwow
was the Upper Mattaponi Powwow in May at the King William County Upper Mattaponi Powwow Grounds.

Two Eagles got married on Feb. 1, 2002 in the Washington D.C. LDS Temple to Beth Anne Wright. He now, has a
22 month old daughter, Robyn Ember Wright, who is now jingle dress dancer; and a 2 month old daughter,
Lilian(Lily) Brooke Wright.

Two Eagles has been dancing Mens Traditional at powwows for over 12 years. He is a flute player, a drummer,
and a teacher. He travels, and teaches crafting classes to those who want to learn. He teaches about his
culture as well as others. Two Eagles now lives in Rexburg, Idaho where he continues to be a living legacy. He
owns his own business called, "Two Eagles' Legacy." He has a storefront on Ebay, and he builds his own
websites. On these sites he markets his regalia items. He is a well known bustle and roach maker. He
customizes all his items to fit the individual's needs. He also offers something for everyone.

Two Eagles served as President of the Native American Heritage Association at BYU-Idaho for the Winter 2005
Semester. His goals includes owning a retail shop that is a Tribal Center for Native Americans and other
cultures around the world to share their culture.

Wesly Two Eagles is serving as a Clan Chief for the United Cherokee Nation because he believes it's time to
stop relying on the Government, to stop having so many differences that it causes jealousy; hate; and pride; and
to Unite the Tsalagi People under one Nation. "We are like a bundle of sticks, one or two can be broken; but a
whole bundle can never be broken," Wesly Two Eagles!!!
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 AM   #10
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

HERE'S THE INFORMATION ON OBTAINING A TRIBAL CARD IN HIS TRIBE:

THE UNITED CHEROKEE
NATION-
IDAHO

Membership Page

Welcome to the GATHERING. I want to thank you on behalf of Chief Red Hawk, the principal Chief of The United
Cherokee Nation, for taking the time to seek out who you are! Our mission is to help research and establish blood
and tribal rights for anyone that has Native American blood that are not assigned to one of the three Federal
Cherokee tribes.

By filling out the following paperwork our staff will assist you in establishing the right to be recognized as a Native
American Indian within the United States and Canada. Most Native people who do not belong to a tribe or cannot get
on closed Federal Government rolls are left to defend for themselves. Because of political policy within the tribes
themselves it is difficult for those not born on the reservation or who have left their tribal homelands to get
established back into any tribal organizations.

The United Cherokee Nation established by Virginia State laws, rules and regulations can accept any and all
Cherokee Indians who claim Native heritage. After reviewing your application and documentation for acceptance,
members will be issued a tribal card signed by the principal chief. Although you will be attached to me as your Clan
Chief, the tribal cards will come from the Tribal Office in Virginia, as do all funds and allotment processing.

This card remains the property of the UCN at all times and is protected under the following Acts:
• The American Indian Religious Freedom Act of 1978.
• The Free Exercise Clause of the lst Amendment.
• The Free Exercise Clause of the 1968 Indian Civil Rights Act.

Take the time to carefully review the application information and make sure you make additional copies of all forms
not only for you should you make mistakes in filling them out, but for anyone you know that has Cherokee ties. All
funds and donations should be made out to OPM Management (Office of Personnel Management, our financial
department) and sent directly to The United Cherokee Nation (UCN) office NOT to me. Once our tribal office has
reviewed applications they will send a notice of acceptance along with your new tribal card to me and I will forward it
to you directly.

I look forward in speaking with each and every one of you in which I am responsible. As your Clan Chief I will assist
and do everything possible to keep you informed and up to date on events within the Tribe as it is passed down to
me from our Principal Chief and those in authority. My phone is always open should you have questions.

Sincerely,
Wesly Two Eagles
on behalf of:

The Honorable
Chief Red Hawk
Principal Chief of
The United Indian Nation/The United Cherokee Nation
Old 01-06-2006, 01:55 AM   #11
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

LOOK YOU CAN MAKE A TAX FREE DONATION TOO! MEMBERSHIPS ONLY RUN $35 US DOLLARS.....OK, no further comments out of me tonight, go to this website address for more information: http://www.ucnidahoclan.com/index.html

THE UNITED CHEROKEE NATION-
IDAHO
Donations

Click Here-

Dear Sponsor,

Wado(Thank you) for showing an interest in the United Cherokee Nation-Idaho Clan. Your generous
donations are dedicated to helping Cherokee Indians establish tribal recognition. You are
contributing to the GATHERING of the tsalagi(Cherokee) people. All Sponsors will receive a tax
receipt for your donation. We offer many bonuses to donating to the Gathering(Contact a Chief or
the OPM Department for more details.) If anyone donates over $500.00 they will be awarded a
special recognition on this website. All businesses, families, churches, organizations, and
individuals are welcome to contribute. The donation link above is used through PayPal, but you do
not have to be a PayPal Member... Just click on the option where you do not have a PayPal account,
and follow the steps. It then give you the option to sign up or just finish without saving your
information.

Please mail Checks/Money Orders to:
(International must use a money order or Certified Check)

Chief Wesly Two Eagles
UCN- Idaho Clan
221 N. 3rd. E. #13
Rexburg, ID 83440

We also take credit cards online or by phone:
208-359-8113

All donations are recorded by the OPM Department
Old 01-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #12
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
"We also take credit cards online or by phone:
208-359-8113"
LMAO im sure they do take credit cards...i especially liked the part where his bio calls him a leagacy what bothers me is ppl like this do take business away from legitimate artists and flood the market with lesser quality work

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2006, 10:37 AM   #13
Pow Wow Committee

tigger has a reputation beyond repute
tigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond reputetigger has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 250.00
wow, that's a name that i would rather not hear. Red Hawk..... dang, when did he become a chief........last i heard he was from the great state of Hawaii. people don't let these guys fool you.
tigger is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-06-2006, 11:22 PM   #14
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Aaniin niji,

Just my two cents here, but if you buy something that is supposed to be authentic, then the item should have a tag or something on it someplace with the artists name and enrollment number.

I have a little box that I bought from a Tlinget elder, his name is Kashka. The box hasa traditional picture of a wolf on it. On the bottom is his name and enrollment number.

I also think, but I am not sure, if the person is a vendor at a pow wow, that they must produce their enrollment card on request.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-07-2006, 06:05 AM   #15
Honey Connoissuer

That is correct as far as I know crazywolf. As long as you are advertising your native craft as native made or authentic... then you should be able to provide proof on demand. Personally I would not put my enrollment number on my items so that someone can't just take it ... kinda like social security number.. they get a hold of it, and well, I've already had someone try to cash my pell check for me in New Mexico, let's put it that way. But I always have my card on me and I have two letters of recognition from my nation to use as well. Not to mention my roll number would'nt do any good cause haudenosaunee rolls are not shared with the BIA.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
Banned

enrollment numbers are like social security numbers and I was warned not to display my number..we have alot of frauds taking these nmbers and using it to get federal funding....another thing is that the public has to educated for hiring their vendors, all they do is take your word for it and bam your in selling at a pow-wow..or any other native american functions ie, craft contest, religious purposes all just to fool the general public..okay it earlier I need my coffee lol good morning all lol.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #17
Honey Connoissuer

http://www.doi.gov/iacb/file.html
While the beauty, quality, and collectability of authentic Indian arts and crafts make each piece a unique reflection of our American heritage, it is important that buyers be aware that fraudulent Indian arts and crafts compete daily with authentic Indian arts and crafts in the nationwide marketplace. This consumer fraud not only harms the buyers, it also erodes the overall Indian arts and crafts market and the economic and cultural livelihood of Indian artists, craftspeople, and Tribes. It is also against the law! It is a violation of the Indian Arts and Crafts Act. If you become aware of any market activity that you believe may be in violation of the Act, similar to or different from the following examples, please contact the Indian Arts and Crafts Board either online or at:

Indian Arts and Crafts Board
U.S. Department of the Interior
1849 C Street, NW, MS-2058-MIB
Washington, D.C. 20240
E-mail: [email protected]
Telephone: (202) 208-3773
Toll Free: (888) ART-FAKE
Fax: (202) 208-5196

Example 1: Retail
During a business trip to New Mexico and Arizona, Harry W. went shopping for Indian jewelry for his girlfriend. Harry W. was impressed with what was offered at a gallery near his convention center hotel as outstanding “one-of-a-kind” “handmade” Indian jewelry by Michael L., which included silver, turquoise, jet, lapis, and other apparent precious stones. The sales clerk represented Michael L. as enrolled in one of the prominent New Mexico Pueblos and reported that he produced each piece from his studio workbench. However, as Harry W. traveled throughout New Mexico and Arizona, he continued to see enormous volumes of work attributed to Michael L. as “one-of-a-kind” “handmade” Indian jewelry. As a result, he became suspicious that the work was not made by one individual, but was being mass-produced. As the various sales clerks’ stories about Michael L. contradicted one another, Harry W. also began to suspect that the jewelry was not even Indian made.

Example 2: Pow wow
Last summer, David B. and his family decided to attend a pow wow in the Midwest to experience Indian dancing, music, and craftwork first hand. After identifying a popular pow wow, David and his family attended the event where they purchased a number of items from a vendor’s booth, including Navajo rug weavings, Zuni inlay jewelry, and Hopi kachinas. For insurance purposes, David took the merchandise to a knowledgeable appraiser, only to find that the work was imported.

Example 3: Internet
Sarah T. was a long-time collector of Alaska Native crafts. In searching the Internet one evening, she found a surprising selection of well-priced Alaska Native carvings, including wooden masks and totems and ivory figurines. She purchased the carvings and requested documentation for each piece. When the shipment arrived, she became suspicious of the carving documentation. Upon further inspection, she noticed a “Made in Bali” mark on the back of one of the masks, and areas on the other pieces that appeared to have country of origin markings removed.

Example 4: Artist and Consumer
Mary B., an established potter enrolled in the Navajo Nation, has a friend who recently purchased a piece of pottery marketed as one of Mary B.’s for a deep discount from a shop in another town. When the friend showed Mary B. the new purchase, Mary B. became very upset and told him that she had not made the piece of pottery.
Old 01-22-2006, 08:58 PM   #18
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

These things are all so true, thanx Blackbear for the stories. I have noticed that on some of ads in question here on powwows tradingpost, he has stopped using the word authentic. That makes a real difference if an artist is not enrolled to a "recognized" tribe.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:41 AM   #19
Pow Wow Visitor

moochwah is an unknown quantity at this point
Authentic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydazy
I was on guard too so i investigated before I purchased and found that he sells on here and on ebay and claims to be a cheif of some bogus tribe. While I feel kinda petty for wanting to rat him out I think that he should be. I am sure that he is hard working and all but it just isn't fair for him to take money away from those who have the inherent right to make it. I have looked on ebay for a way to report him but have not had any luck. I don't think that I want to go as far as reporting him to the government.
Seeing that this man is LDS and claims to be a Cherokee, I wonder if he belongs to the mormon Cherokee family cult? Their website http://www.ldscherokeefamily.homestead.com/. I know one of the web administrators. They're a bunch of wannabees who claim to have the truth...whatever that is.
moochwah is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-12-2008, 10:34 AM   #20
Webmaster

Items PresentUser Name Style ChangeSteal PointsCake
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Paul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond reputePaul G has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 9,940.82
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydazy View Post
We have removed items before because of this issue.

With the anonymity of the internet it is hard to ensure that everything is legit. You should always use caution online. If you find something you don't feel is right, please contact us.
Paul G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links