Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What makes an Indian an Indian? What makes an Indian an Indian?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 10:56 AM   #221
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
trob226 is a splendid one to beholdtrob226 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 82.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKMJ Productions
Now we know what the eastern indians do with their hair.

I still don't understand. It's so much easier to wash, comb, braid, and go! That wrapping stuff seems like a pain to do. Sure it's neat looking but I wouldn't want to get under my car and change my oil with one on my head. It would get in the way. Don't ya think?

I guess that's what makes an eastern indian an eastern indian!
Good to know.
Actually, I don't think they wash it all that often...
trob226 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 AM   #222
Senior Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds
I would say that this is probably true. People have learned that if they want to give me something for xmas or b-day, money is probably the worst idea.... more than 10 bucks and I will find a better thing to do with it than spend it on myself. When I happen in to some money there is always someone whose path I cross who is having a rough time - trying to figure out if getting meds or food is more important; whether the rent or the gas bill should be paid - and then that money talks to me and tells me I don't really need it.

Another bad idea is to give me something I already think I have enough of - if I have enough sweaters, rest assured if I get one one will end up being given away (and usually the new one ).

I honestly don't plan it to be that way, don't set out to have it happen either.. just seems to turn out that way most of the time.
I guess I must be more Indian than I thought. I seldom go to the city without buying a meal for somebody hard up on the street. Met some nice people that way. I get a lot more fun out of shopping for Christmas presents for others than I do getting presents. I found a really good way to split the difference between giving gifts and helping others - there is a group called Adopt a Native Elder who helps traditional Dine to sell the rugs they weave - the weaver gets all the proceeds, and you get a good rug - I bought a couple this year for Christmas presents. There are more and more kinds of groups like these, helping various people and organizations. MAkes Christmas more fun that ever.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:46 AM   #223
Tiny Tot Dancer

Minasmom is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
I agree, it sits better inside to give to someone else.

Ken, I appreciate your way of thinking. It's not just about you, it's about everyone who works for you. My dad did siding and gutters and always worried about having something for the guys to do when business got really bad so they could support their families.

I knew that banning smoking in bars was a bad idea, but I didn't really think about how it would affect others outside of the bar employees themselves. Now that I think about it, sound would be the first to go. I hope business picks up soon.
Minasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #224
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazben
Ken, I didn't think about how the smoking ban will affect powwows. Does the ban include outdoors events?
The law only provides for indoors. Outside is fine to smoke.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006, 06:46 PM   #225
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226
Actually, I don't think they wash it all that often...

YUCK!!!!EEK!!!!!n PUKE!!!!!

Old 12-18-2006, 06:57 PM   #226
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minasmom
I agree, it sits better inside to give to someone else.

Ken, I appreciate your way of thinking. It's not just about you, it's about everyone who works for you. My dad did siding and gutters and always worried about having something for the guys to do when business got really bad so they could support their families.

I knew that banning smoking in bars was a bad idea, but I didn't really think about how it would affect others outside of the bar employees themselves. Now that I think about it, sound would be the first to go. I hope business picks up soon.
My sound company is fine right now. It's the future that I'm worried about. I'm looking at this summer when the laws become enforcable. Right now there is a mix of non-smoking and smoking taverns and restuarunts. Some are not following the law because there are no rules to enforce the law. In June everyone must go non-smoking because the rules will have been written. This includes all businesses of any type. By law even my basement office and sound studio must go non-smoking because of my clients that record here. Ohio Sucks sometimes!

At least we can still smoke outdoors like at powwow.

Why would you vote "yes" on something that isn't completed yet. No self respecting NDN would vote on something that they don't know how it will affect them. Stupid Wanabi people!

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 12-18-2006 at 07:01 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #227
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
YUCK!!!!EEK!!!!!n PUKE!!!!!

So Ken, don't mince words. How do you really feel about it?!
Old 12-18-2006, 07:06 PM   #228
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
So Ken, don't mince words. How do you really feel about it?!
WASH, RINSE, REPEAT DAILY AS DIRECTED ON BOTTLE.

TOWEL DRY COMB BRAID! That's how I feel about it! Oh yes, while your washing your hair, TAKE A SHOWER TOO!

Save water, Shower with a friend!

If I say any more, I'll take it to the 40s thread.

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 12-18-2006 at 07:08 PM..
Old 12-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #229
Tiny Tot Dancer

Where is my brain at?!!! Totally unrelated to the current direction of this thread, but somewhat related to the topic...we finally got the rest of the documents we needed and have sent off our packet for citizenship to the Cherokee Nation. (Again!....a certain mother of a small child..ahem.. didn't sent two of the correct types of birth certificates...so it's a second run here... )
Old 12-18-2006, 07:34 PM   #230
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Where is my brain at?!!! Totally unrelated to the current direction of this thread, but somewhat related to the topic...we finally got the rest of the documents we needed and have sent off our packet for citizenship to the Cherokee Nation. (Again!....a certain mother of a small child..ahem.. didn't sent two of the correct types of birth certificates...so it's a second run here... )
]

You gotta do what ya gotta do! You gotta cross all the "I"s, and dot all the "T"s to make things work!

Old 12-18-2006, 08:04 PM   #231
were home

Items GuitarElephantPresentPresent
Credits: 30,091.23
Savings: 1.00
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute2lineCarrandMorgan has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My sound company is fine right now. It's the future that I'm worried about. I'm looking at this summer when the laws become enforcable. Right now there is a mix of non-smoking and smoking taverns and restuarunts. Some are not following the law because there are no rules to enforce the law. In June everyone must go non-smoking because the rules will have been written. This includes all businesses of any type. By law even my basement office and sound studio must go non-smoking because of my clients that record here. Ohio Sucks sometimes!

At least we can still smoke outdoors like at powwow.

Why would you vote "yes" on something that isn't completed yet. No self respecting NDN would vote on something that they don't know how it will affect them. Stupid Wanabi people!
hi yall Austin did a smoking ban its was in the paper.
the music captal of the world as the paper reads and ppl cant smoke inside
Old 12-18-2006, 08:19 PM   #232
Tiny Tot Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2lineCarrandMorgan
hi yall Austin did a smoking ban its was in the paper.
the music captal of the world as the paper reads and ppl cant smoke inside

You know, I used to smoke and now I don't, cause frankly, I want to cut out all of the variables! But for a town to cut out smoking from bars, that's cutting off your economy. I mean, I can understand having most of it be non-smoking for people's health in general. But how about a specific room for a quick smoke so you can get back to the music and your friends?! I'd be for something like that. It makes more sense (well, to me anyway...)
Old 12-18-2006, 08:46 PM   #233
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Yep.....seems like the whole world is going smoke free.....and now that the precedent is set to pass laws for health reasons, how long will it be until other laws are passed? such as food (size and content) and alcohol...body size limits...as well as other 'trendy' health boogiemen?
Every time we pass laws of this nature...a little more personal freedom is lost....
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 12-18-2006, 09:56 PM   #234
Senior Dancer

Quote:
WASH, RINSE, REPEAT DAILY AS DIRECTED ON BOTTLE.

TOWEL DRY COMB BRAID! That's how I feel about it! Oh yes, while your washing your hair, TAKE A SHOWER TOO!

Save water, Shower with a friend!

If I say any more, I'll take it to the 40s thread.
Ken - you do know that many of our ancestors, white and red, tended to use bear grease on their hair, don't you?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:55 AM   #235
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226
Ken - you do know that many of our ancestors, white and red, tended to use bear grease on their hair, don't you?
Bear grease is a bit hard to find. Walmart doesn't carry it.

Sponsored Links