Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What makes an Indian an Indian? What makes an Indian an Indian?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2006, 08:20 AM   #21
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
LeannB has a reputation beyond repute
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,648.74
Savings: 0.00
Thanks, and YUP--it makes perfect sense. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2006, 05:12 PM   #22
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
And this one time at Band Camp.....

THE TOP 10 YOU KNOW YOUR INDIAN…

10. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS ON YOUR HOUSE IN MARCH.

9. DOUGHNUT SPARE IS THE 4TH TIRE.

8. YOU POINT WITH YOUR LIPS.

7. FEAST ON A RING OF RED N A LOAF OF BREAD.

6. HAVE MET SOMEONE WHO’S GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS A CHEROKEE PRINCESS.

5. HAVE MET SOMEONE WHO’S NDN @ HEART.

4. YOUR ELASTIC N YOUR UNDERWEAR IS NON-EXISTENT.

3. NO MATTER HOW SKINNY YOU GET YOU STILL HAVE A ROLL.

2. PHONE IN ON MONDAY AND SAY YOUR SICK, BUT

YOU ACTUALLY HAVE “POWWOW FEVER”. THIS APPLIES TO FRIDAY AS WELL.

1. YOU SHOP @ WALMART. THIS APPLIES TO SUPER WALMART ALSO….

"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-03-2006, 08:01 AM   #23
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
LeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond reputeLeannB has a reputation beyond repute
OH, FUNNY!!!! You got us on most of those....not saying which ones, LOL!
Old 11-13-2006, 10:21 PM   #24
bowcrazy

bowcrazy is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
" Indian in training " That's me

I grew up totally ignorant of the fact that my grandmother was full blood Cherokee. I was not untill I was 49 that I was made aware of that fact. Does that make me any less Indian? To this I say yes - I was not told the stories of my grandfathers, nor was I tought any of the indian ways. Therefore even if I was a full blood indian I would be less of an indian than those who have the knowledge of their heritage.

I do not proclaim I am Indian at this point but I am willing to learn what I have not been tought to become more aware of who I am, not what I am. Just because I eat mexican, chinese, and italian food it does not make me any of those nor would eating fry bread make me indian. But I do agree that the knowledge I gain from reading, talking and observing will make me more of an indain than what I was just one year ago.

I don't want any government check nor do I need a card to prove to someone that I am a Cherokee Indian but I do require the knowledge of my ancestors and their ways to make me who I am.

Some how I think I have always known inside that I was at least part indian at heart because I have always enjoyed reading books about them, I learned to hunt with a bow like them, and have always admired them for many reasons. But I will always be just an "Indian in training" till the day my grandfathers call me home. And then I will be a full blood because they will accept me as so - this I believe whole heartedly.
bowcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-13-2006, 10:37 PM   #25
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 603.09
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowcrazy
I grew up totally ignorant of the fact that my grandmother was full blood Cherokee. I was not untill I was 49 that I was made aware of that fact. Does that make me any less Indian? To this I say yes - I was not told the stories of my grandfathers, nor was I tought any of the indian ways. Therefore even if I was a full blood indian I would be less of an indian than those who have the knowledge of their heritage.

I do not proclaim I am Indian at this point but I am willing to learn what I have not been tought to become more aware of who I am, not what I am. Just because I eat mexican, chinese, and italian food it does not make me any of those nor would eating fry bread make me indian. But I do agree that the knowledge I gain from reading, talking and observing will make me more of an indain than what I was just one year ago.

I don't want any government check nor do I need a card to prove to someone that I am a Cherokee Indian but I do require the knowledge of my ancestors and their ways to make me who I am.

Some how I think I have always known inside that I was at least part indian at heart because I have always enjoyed reading books about them, I learned to hunt with a bow like them, and have always admired them for many reasons. But I will always be just an "Indian in training" till the day my grandfathers call me home. And then I will be a full blood because they will accept me as so - this I believe whole heartedly.
Just the fact that you admit your shortcomings in knowlege of your heritage, and have the desire to learn the way, makes you NDN. "Indian in training" is a wanabi term. don't dishonor yourself. Be proud of who and what you are. It's not all that uncommon that you do not know the stories of your grandfathers.You have the rest of your life to learn. We all have the rest of our lives to learn our way. That's the beauty of it.

It's better to fly with the eagles then drive with the turkeys.

Duct tape has a light side and dark side that binds our universe together.

Bad attatude lessons available here. To inquire, Check the box to the right. []
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM   #26
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
"I grew up totally ignorant of the fact that my grandmother was full blood Cherokee. I was not untill I was 49 that I was made aware of that fact. Does that make me any less Indian? To this I say yes - I was not told the stories of my grandfathers, nor was I tought any of the indian ways. Therefore even if I was a full blood indian I would be less of an indian than those who have the knowledge of their heritage."

Friend, join the club! My Hubby's family did a very good job of hiding their genetic ties until his Mom and Dad's generation, and the old folks sure didn't appreciate them digging up the "dirt." There are still some things we aren't supposed to find out until after some of the older ones have gone on, out of respect for their wishes. BUT----it is important for us to know WHERE we come from. Medically, for one thing. There are certain diseases NDN's are prone to and certain meds that NDN's should NOT take. We found that out the hard way. Your BODY knows you are Indian, even if you don't.

"I don't want any government check nor do I need a card to prove to someone that I am a Cherokee Indian but I do require the knowledge of my ancestors and their ways to make me who I am. "

AMEN. We don't want that check, either. BUT----the whole geneology thing is fun and interesting to look into, and I would encourage you to try to get your card anyway. It helps back up what you are saying and living, and makes the way a bit easier for your children if you have any, or other young relatives. If they are interested in following you, there is a paper trail to follow.

"Some how I think I have always known inside that I was at least part indian at heart because I have always enjoyed reading books about them, I learned to hunt with a bow like them, and have always admired them for many reasons. But I will always be just an "Indian in training" till the day my grandfathers call me home. And then I will be a full blood because they will accept me as so - this I believe whole heartedly."

You know, a few years ago, I might have discredited the NDN feeling thing---but my MIL grew up with the feeling, and lo and behold---she was right. BIG TIME. She didn't find out until she was a grown lady and wife and Mommy in the 60's, and her dentist told her that she was Indian. She had to have some dental work done, and he was the only dentist that hadn't caused excruciating pain. He know where to give an Indian the novacaine shot. That started her looking----and her Hubby, too. She always "knew" she was Indian...and she was. So was her Hubby. The family didn't want them to find out, and some STILL don't want the world to find out. But that doesn't hide the genetic truth.

What's funny---there might be more to the gentic knowledge that what we give credit for. Our oldest Daughter gives Bow lessons at the YMCA camp, and her bosses say she is GOOD. Makes you think!
Leann
Old 11-14-2006, 11:27 AM   #27
Powwow Sound 4 U

TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
[QUOTE=LeannB"I don't want any government check nor do I need a card to prove to someone that I am a Cherokee Indian but I do require the knowledge of my ancestors and their ways to make me who I am. "

AMEN. We don't want that check, either. BUT----the whole geneology thing is fun and interesting to look into, and I would encourage you to try to get your card anyway. [/QUOTE]

Take the check!!!!! Cash it and use it to do good for the people. The government ripped us off so much that it isn't funny. Sure the checks are a "payoff" for the ripoffs. We all know that.

Just think........ the government is paying you to educate our people. How you educate them is up to you.... HINT! HINT!!!

Old 11-14-2006, 11:48 AM   #28
LeannB

Items DollDollCat
[QUOTE=TKMJ Productions]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB"I don't want any government check nor do I need a card to prove to someone that I am a Cherokee Indian but I do require the knowledge of my ancestors and their ways to make me who I am. "

AMEN. We don't want that check, either. BUT----the whole geneology thing is fun and interesting to look into, and I would encourage you to try to get your card anyway. [/QUOTE

Take the check!!!!! Cash it and use it to do good for the people. The government ripped us off so much that it isn't funny. Sure the checks are a "payoff" for the ripoffs. We all know that.

Just think........ the government is paying you to educate our people. How you educate them is up to you.... HINT! HINT!!!
FUNNY!!! And we could sure use the education. But it's a mixed blessing; many times, if you take gov't money, they know they have some measure of control over you. We are Shawnee. But there are other Shawnees that don't want to accept us. The only reason we can think of is that there is only so much of the gov't money pie to go around, and they don't feel like they can share without hurting some of their people. Our folks burrowed into the hills and hollers of southern Ohio, instead of marching out west, and that bothers them, too. If we don't ask for any of their money, maybe they will be more accepting. One can hope; we need more unity.
Leann
Old 11-14-2006, 11:52 AM   #29
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
I'll be honest - I didn't read through a lot of the longer posts. I think I have adult ADD.

Anyways - here's my take - short, sweet and very simple:

My mom's an NDN - my dad's an NDN - so I am one too.
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 12:37 PM   #30
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeannB
FUNNY!!! And we could sure use the education. But it's a mixed blessing; many times, if you take gov't money, they know they have some measure of control over you. We are Shawnee. But there are other Shawnees that don't want to accept us. The only reason we can think of is that there is only so much of the gov't money pie to go around, and they don't feel like they can share without hurting some of their people. Our folks burrowed into the hills and hollers of southern Ohio, instead of marching out west, and that bothers them, too. If we don't ask for any of their money, maybe they will be more accepting. One can hope; we need more unity.
Leann
Your situation is no different the others east of the Mississippi. The NDN was pushed west to make room for the new people coming from Europe and other lands. Your kin choose to hide out and hope to keep the land safe. It didn't happen. So you are now lost so to speak learning bits and pieces as you go. The puzzle may never be complete.

It seems that the only way to complete the puzzle is to live with and learn from your people. Easier said the done. Non acceptance is normal in this day and age because of the mixing of blood. There is also the fact that you did not grow up on the reservation with your people learning the ways from birth. Most people out east have the same story as you.

I was born east of the Mississippi. However I was educated in the ways out west when I lived in Montana. I was not exposed to our ways as a child. It was all adult education just as you. However I was able to live with the people and learn the ways. When I returned east, I was somewhat placed in "culture shock" because of what was happening out east. There are a lot of mixed up ways here from what I was taught. After looking at the situation for a long time, I found that the people here were finding bits and pieces of their heratage and filling in the rest with the ways of others or sorry to say "improvising". There is a lot of improvasation out east here espically in Oh, In. Ill. Ky. Tenn. Mi. WVa. and other surrounding states. So the people are laughed at.

When I am asked for advice here, my advice is usually met with the words, "Take your western ways and go home. That doesn't work here". Sorry to say but it is true. This entire area is filled with people who think they know what is going on who have assembled their knowlege from bits and pieces and have made up the rest to fit their lifestyle. It seems that the old ways of tradition no longer fit these people so the old traditions are once again lost due to lifestyle.

Most of the old traditions and ways teach basic moral standards. Mans morals have changed greatly in the past 100 years. It's sad but true.

Can you amagine what could happen it we applied the old traditions and morals to todays standards and lifestyles. Our chirldren would be better educated. Business would be fair and just. Trade would benifit both sides. All people would enjoy the benifits of modern society. The air and rivers would be cleaner. Everything would be much better then it is today.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:58 PM   #31
Murphy

StandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Ohio, farr from home, behind a LARGE German Shepard, my body guard...lol!
Savings: 484.57
My father was full blood and he was so disgusted with the white mans way of treating him, we moved to Ohio, where he could get a job and never tell anyone who or what he was. Even though just looking at him you could see it. Finally, years later, he lost the anger and was proud to be what he was. As a child growing up, I never understood why parents kept their children away from me, now THAT'S predjudice! My G/ma sat me down and explained how people were the way they were and to be proud of my blood. Taught me our ways, to be patient with my dad and others. Bless her!
And you're right about some meds. My doc gave me meds to help me stop smoking and because it messed with my brain chemistry, I had an allergic reaction to it a serious one. So, it's good to let your doctor know about your heritage so he/she are aware, it can be fatal for some of us. Also, stings from bee's and other biting insects can impact you more than others...just to for-warn you. I found out the hard way...lol!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:26 PM   #32
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singing Eagle
I'll be honest - I didn't read through a lot of the longer posts. I think I have adult ADD.

Anyways - here's my take - short, sweet and very simple:

My mom's an NDN - my dad's an NDN - so I am one too.
Adult ADD???? Your not alone sister. Most ndn have some form of ADD. Remember the term is only a lable given by modern society.

Studies have shown that most native children learn different then their europian counterparts. Check out some of the studies done at the University of Az. My daughter is also labled ADD. She excells at music and other abstract subjects. Letter type symbols confuse her. So does english syntax. She can multiply and devide with a hand full of sticks. Don't put numbers in front of her on paper. She gets confused. It has been a daily fight with the school system since she started school. She is now in the eight grade. When we found the studies at the U of AZ and took them back here, the school system refused to even acknowlege their exsistance let alone look at them. Year by year we re-introduce these studies to her teachers. Those teachers who take into consideration the studies and apply them, find that our daughter and other students with simular problems start to excell at different subjects. The next year some teachers refuse to even look and the students regress.

The education system in this country refuses to take into consideration "how we learn" How we learn isn't normal to their standards. Their standards come from europe and other countries. Not ours.

One more thing: At 13 years of age my daughter takes flying lessons in a Cessna 150. She will solo at 16 and have a pilots license at 17. She can actually complete each lesson with out her instructors help. He never touches any of the controls. I also give her a free hand at flying. It it wasn't for the FAA laws and regulations, she would have her pilots license now. Her instructor uses the U of Az studies to teach her. She passes all her written test and her flying tests. We are just waiting out the time and age factors.

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 11-14-2006 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: spelling cause I have ADD too!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #33
Murphy

StandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond reputeStandnWolf has a reputation beyond repute
Location: Ohio, farr from home, behind a LARGE German Shepard, my body guard...lol!
Savings: 484.57
Right on! I had the same problems growing up and still do to this day. Sometimes I have to ask the hubby if the numbers I'm looking at are the way they are, hand me a calculator! He can do complicated math in his head and he's ndn, but then he's not normal...LOL! < don't tell him i said that shhhh >
Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #34
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Well I was actually just joking - however thanks for the info.
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 02:07 PM   #35
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

..This is a real hard one for me,since my Dad(full blood),was always being told by family members(except G-ma),that practicing Native ways was BAD for him,and that he would turn out to be a nobody(were they wrong!)and my mom(1/2 blood...R.I.P.)was raised Christian,since my G-pa(her dad)denounced all things NDN when he married my Gramma....It caused their breakup when I was still young,but Dad followed his heart and continued to practice his ways,which I was glad about,while Mom never truly embraced her heritage,even though she began to acknowledge it later on.
Even though it was many years before I found my Dad again,I was glad to know that he was around to teach me more about who and what I was,and was there for his grandkids as well.
The reality that there are many lost souls out there that would love to find out more about their NDN heritage,but unfortunately don't have the family support they need is very prevalent,yet on the other side of the coin,there are those "on the rez"who could care less.I have cousins in AZ. who don't even speak Apache!,even though they were born there.whereas I can carry on a basic conversation with someone,and would love the opportunity to learn even more.
All you can do is continue seeking those who are willing to teach,and get all you can from them,as well as live the best way you can as a person,all the while using your Native traditions and teachings to make you a BETTER human being.Good luck to all....keep smilin1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 02:59 PM   #36
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
If a Bluejay egg is placed in a Robin's nest, and raised by Robin's, when the Bluejay grows mature it will build a nest like a Bluejay, and not like a Robin. The Bluejay is still a Bluejay.

Therefore, it raises the question...is being NDN a genetically inherited trait or a set of learned cultural behaviors, or both?

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)

Last edited by Historian; 11-14-2006 at 03:04 PM..
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM   #37
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian
If a Bluejay egg is placed in a Robin's nest, and raised by Robin's, when the Bluejay grows mature it will build a nest like a Bluejay, and not like a Robin. The Bluejay is still a Bluejay.

Therefore, it raises the question...is being NDN a genetically inherited trait or a set of learned cultural behaviors, or both?
It's in the genes!!!! No matter what color jeans you where!

If you were raised in a traditional household, you usually know who and what you are both cultural and genetic.

We must also look at the people who were not raised traditionally who are just finding their true culture.

If you have one drop of the blood, do not have an NDN upbringing, been denied your culture since birth, just found out about it at age 50 and wish to take the ways and live them to their fullest. Are You NDN.

You cannot deny the BLOOD!

If you do not have the blood but wish to learn and take the ways and live them to their fullest, You can be considered culturaly acceptable but not NDN. This point also includes non-ndns entering a NDN family by marrage. Close but Not Close enough.

I hope I spelled all of that right.

Last edited by TKMJ Productions; 11-14-2006 at 03:32 PM..
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM   #38
Teen Dancer

apacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond reputeapacheheart has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historian

aaaahh...the whole "nature vs.nurture" debate....talkin'about a whole other species here.Animals,I believe,are born with certain behaviors already ingrained in their brain,which are essential for the survival of THAT particular animal,regardless of what he was raised by,unlike human beings,who have to learn everything as they grow,but you are right,an NDN child raised by nons is still NDN,BUT HIS MANNERISMS WOULD BE LIKE THOSE HE WAS RAISED BY.Granted,there's always research going on about certain behaviors and tendencies being congenital,but people,unlike animals,can CHOOSE or not choose to act on these impulses...and yes an NDN child can learn to BE NDN,and not just be one by blood,but again,it's a choice that has to be made by the individual,or the one's who are doing the raising.Why do you think so many NDN's are returning to their roots so late in life??....keep smilin'1
apacheheart is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 08:46 PM   #39
Pow Wow Junky

cougar has a spectacular aura about
There are millions of people today that think they are Cherokee because someone has told them they have a Cherokee ancestor. I cannot believe the number of people that come up to me and say they are Cherokee. Native Americans only make up around 2% of the Nation's popluation... I stumbled upon a useful site for those claiming to be Cherokee and who want to enroll in the Cherokee community. If you think you are Cherokee and you think you can prove it, please go here: http://www.nc-cherokee.com/howenroll.htm.
cougar is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-14-2006, 09:06 PM   #40
Powwow Sound 4 U

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar
There are millions of people today that think they are Cherokee because someone has told them they have a Cherokee ancestor. I cannot believe the number of people that come up to me and say they are Cherokee. Native Americans only make up around 2% of the Nation's popluation... I stumbled upon a useful site for those claiming to be Cherokee and who want to enroll in the Cherokee community. If you think you are Cherokee and you think you can prove it, please go here: http://www.nc-cherokee.com/howenroll.htm.
Only 2%???? Where does this information come from?

Sponsored Links