Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? What is most important to you that Whites know about our people?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2007, 06:29 PM   #321
Back where I belong

Items Present
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
:sounds alot like parts of the united states these days....how many cases of food contamnination were there here in the US last year alone? most of the water here in the us is unfit to swim in let alone drink.
its hot everywhere now,2006 was the hottest year on record world-wide.
laws here are not fair,the govt is corrupt as are the police.
Very true. I grew up in Phoenix where the sands are hot and the summer temperatures are brutal - but I don't regret a minute of it and often wish I could move back. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee now where every quarter, when we get our water bill, we're told that the radium levels exceed the national standards by nearly 100%. I have a couple of cans of stew in my cupboard that I just found out I need to throw out because they may contain botulism toxin. There's stuff like Wahishta listed found in all places, here in the US, and not just Mexico or other places...

Getting back to the topic, what would white folks (or other non-natives, in fairness) be learning about us, were they to read this thread?

Can't natives be "traditional" and progressive simultaneously? Why are these arguments presented in a black/white, right/wrong context? Can't a native be Christian and traditional? Is someone who is traditional always going to be labeled as backwards, a progressive always be labeled a sell-out and a Christian labeled a tool of the white man? These are stereotypes that I would prefer that non-natives NOT learn about us...
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #322
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewave View Post
Hahaha "your monitor must have a mirror attatched" lol I like it. Funny that he speaks of closed mindedness but then tries to make it so that he cannot even see the posts of those who strongly disagree with his opinion...I'm not letting this one slip by ya Zeke. Its too funny
Interesting.

They add NOTHING to the conversation, but you make a reasonable point.

I'm still not taking them off "ignore," though.

I'll let Natural Selection handle them.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 PM   #323
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofAda View Post
Can't natives be "traditional" and progressive simultaneously? Why are these arguments presented in a black/white, right/wrong context? Can't a native be Christian and traditional? Is someone who is traditional always going to be labeled as backwards, a progressive always be labeled a sell-out and a Christian labeled a tool of the white man?
SURE! But, for that, there'd have to actual thinking, analysis and rational thought. Threatened-types have NO CHANCE. They refuse to entertain such.

Quote:
These are stereotypes that I would prefer that non-natives NOT learn about us...
Concur.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:42 PM   #324
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Credits: 100.00
Savings: 53.62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
SURE! But, for that, there'd have to actual thinking, analysis and rational thought. Threatened-types have NO CHANCE. They refuse to entertain such.

Concur.
zeke is the only person in the world with a brain and who can think it seems...dang what are the rest of us to do now?.Too funny..most of us were thinking and analyzing and rationalizing when zeke was still in huggies.And for someone self-professed as smarter than everyone else he sure does make alot of typos....and for someone who doesnt name call,i offer this quote from his zekeness:
"AIM's leaders, for example -- those drunken, pot smoking, violent, self-righteous, unintelligent and HARMFUL fools"
hmmmmmmmmmm shall i post more name calling of powwows.com members by his holiness?
Skillet is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007, 08:47 PM   #325
Teen Dancer

Skillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scaleSkillet is off the scale
Quote:
Very true. I grew up in Phoenix where the sands are hot and the summer temperatures are brutal - but I don't regret a minute of it and often wish I could move back. I live in a suburb of Milwaukee now where every quarter, when we get our water bill, we're told that the radium levels exceed the national standards by nearly 100%. I have a couple of cans of stew in my cupboard that I just found out I need to throw out because they may contain botulism toxin. There's stuff like Wahishta listed found in all places, here in the US, and not just Mexico or other places...

Getting back to the topic, what would white folks (or other non-natives, in fairness) be learning about us, were they to read this thread?

Can't natives be "traditional" and progressive simultaneously? Why are these arguments presented in a black/white, right/wrong context? Can't a native be Christian and traditional? Is someone who is traditional always going to be labeled as backwards, a progressive always be labeled a sell-out and a Christian labeled a tool of the white man? These are stereotypes that I would prefer that non-natives NOT learn about us...
thank you very much...this isnt a black and white topic to anyone posting except for zeke...and yes we can be progressive and traditional and yes when people like zeke have the views they have, we will always be seen as backwards.
whats laughable and ironic is that if it werent for the very people zeke trashes regularly,there would be little that was Indian anymore.I dont know who he thinks has kept "it" all alive for the past century but it wasnt assimilators.would there be any native languages left if "the radical militants"( i love 70 year old grandmother militant types personally) didnt disobey govt orders and continue to speak in their own languages? this is one case theres many others of the lowly traditonalists keeping OUR culture,ceremonies,languages,everything that we are, alive

Last edited by Skillet; 07-31-2007 at 08:51 PM..
Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 PM   #326
Teen Dancer

Quote:

Concur.
if we're soooo threatened then why dont we have you on ignore? looking in that mirror again?
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 PM   #327
Senior Dancer

SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
SuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond reputeSuzzeQ4 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 120.00
Quote:

Concur.
Um, I think North of Ada' s comments were directed as much towards you as they were to us.

Suzze
SuzzeQ4 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 07-31-2007, 11:52 PM   #328
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
I see plenty of "analysis, thinking and rational thought" on this thread, including among those expressing the traditional viewpoint.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #329
Back where I belong

Items Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skillet View Post
thank you very much...this isnt a black and white topic to anyone posting except for zeke...and yes we can be progressive and traditional and yes when people like zeke have the views they have, we will always be seen as backwards.
whats laughable and ironic is that if it werent for the very people zeke trashes regularly,there would be little that was Indian anymore.I dont know who he thinks has kept "it" all alive for the past century but it wasnt assimilators.would there be any native languages left if "the radical militants"( i love 70 year old grandmother militant types personally) didnt disobey govt orders and continue to speak in their own languages? this is one case theres many others of the lowly traditonalists keeping OUR culture,ceremonies,languages,everything that we are, alive
I wish my immediate ancestors had not "given in" and allowed themselves to be absorbed. I would be much more able to contribute to the preservation of my culture than I am now.

I applaud those of you who have been taught by those who stood up and held onto their ways and who aren't afraid to stand up for them now. And, I don't believe for a minute that traditional means non-thinking, non-analytical and all that...
Old 08-01-2007, 03:50 AM   #330
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Quote:

Absolutely, inherently WRONG. When their ideals -- and the ongoing, ignorant, espousing of such to political masses who create doctrine -- formulate actions that are harmful, their "right" ends. Such would be NOW.
Hey, it's your America and American ideals.. and America says everyone has a right to speak their mind, and lord knows America is good at espousing of such to political masses who create doctrine -- formulate actions that are harmful. I guess it all just comes down to how you look at it eh?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear
I think what most people are having a problem with you is the way your approach these issues. You're smug, and arrogant and tend to talk down to people you don't even know.

I speak in an educated manner, not for effect, but because that is who I am. Their -- and YOUR -- interpretation is not MY problem. Take that as you will.
I'm sure many would concur with me an how you are percieved here. And if it is not your intention to be that way but also do not care to change the tone enough to get your points across, then you are simply wasting space and your own time here with babbling.
You speak in an educated manner as in, you have a large vocabulary and can put together grammatically correct sentances. As I have said before though, educated does'nt always reflect intelligence and vice versa.

Quote:
Not the least bit defensive.
Well you coulda fooled me. Name calling usually follows when someone feels a need to defend themselves... so if it's not defensive it's a superiority complex or a need to belittle others for your own amusement?

Quote:
And I have been debating. The fact that you, and some others, have no effective retort save creation of an intellectually baseless shield under the banner of "traditionalism" (as defined and referenced merely for emotional impact and not for use with efficacy) is, again, not my issue.
Ahh... but it really is because you have yet to give a reason why assimilating to the American worldview is better than our traditional beliefs. All you've done is sound bitter about people who don't follow the same ideals you have. So really your own retorts have been ineffective as well. But my guess is you don't really read half the posts, just skim them over and then give what you think are clever retorts... but that's just a guess.

Quote:
Such folk are closed minded for no reason beyond an inability to see beyond the end of their -- apparently, terribly short -- noses.
Well I can't speak for the others, but speaking for myself.. I've given what you have said thought. I've been around, and done quite a bit in the last 20 years of my life and I gotta tell you.... there's nothing like the traditional views for living peacefully, morally and being content with one self. Don't confuse contentment with complacency.

Quote:
Further, the "edit" was weak, groundless and ineffectual. Nothing ill was stated related to anyone beyond their misguided thoughts. I recommend deeper analysis.
So was what I edited. It was a weak attempt at insulting that also goes against the guidelines for posting here.

Quote:
The prior portion of your statement is couched in complete relativity, is not objective, and is baseless. "Move along..."
Blah blah blah.... how's that? Any better?

Last edited by Blackbear; 08-01-2007 at 03:53 AM..
Blackbear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007, 09:04 AM   #331
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Present
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
FluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond reputeFluteMaker has a reputation beyond repute
Location: somewhere between chicago and DC, what day is it again?
Credits: 7,626.25
man, i gotta keep up on things, last time i looked at this thread it was about not all ndns lived in tipis and we dont get up every morning and slap on a new coat of war paint. i check on it today and blackbear has someone up againt the wall,tearing him a new azz hole and teaching him to whistle from the old one. you gotta love them haudenosaunee women.

I know the voices arent real
but man, they have some great ideas
FluteMaker is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM   #332
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
well said
I would not mess with you any day of the week Blackbear....
"she's not playin"

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #333
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
well said
I would not mess with you any day of the week Blackbear....
"she's not playin"
She's merely 100% incorrect.
Old 08-01-2007, 12:52 PM   #334
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
She's merely 100% incorrect.
In your opinion

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2007, 12:57 PM   #335
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
In your opinion
Noted.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:57 PM   #336
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
But I only state the obvious which makes me 100% right 100% of the time---- 12oz. Mouse

ROFLMAO!!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #337
Honey Connoissuer

No seriously.. I'm not "going off" so to speak. I'm doing what us Haudenosaunee are known for... debating in a diplomatic manner with a twist of down to earth woman thrown in there with the blah blah blah..LOL!

But a debate is not what I'm getting... I'm just being told I'm wrong.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM   #338
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
Hey, it's your America and American ideals.. and America says everyone has a right to speak their mind, and lord knows America is good at espousing of such to political masses who create doctrine -- formulate actions that are harmful. I guess it all just comes down to how you look at it eh?

I'm sure many would concur with me an how you are percieved here. And if it is not your intention to be that way but also do not care to change the tone enough to get your points across, then you are simply wasting space and your own time here with babbling.
You speak in an educated manner as in, you have a large vocabulary and can put together grammatically correct sentances. As I have said before though, educated does'nt always reflect intelligence and vice versa.

Well you coulda fooled me. Name calling usually follows when someone feels a need to defend themselves... so if it's not defensive it's a superiority complex or a need to belittle others for your own amusement?

Ahh... but it really is because you have yet to give a reason why assimilating to the American worldview is better than our traditional beliefs. All you've done is sound bitter about people who don't follow the same ideals you have. So really your own retorts have been ineffective as well. But my guess is you don't really read half the posts, just skim them over and then give what you think are clever retorts... but that's just a guess.

Well I can't speak for the others, but speaking for myself.. I've given what you have said thought. I've been around, and done quite a bit in the last 20 years of my life and I gotta tell you.... there's nothing like the traditional views for living peacefully, morally and being content with one self. Don't confuse contentment with complacency.

So was what I edited. It was a weak attempt at insulting that also goes against the guidelines for posting here.

Blah blah blah.... how's that? Any better?
concur

sorry i just counldnt resist
Old 08-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #339
Teen Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbear View Post
No seriously.. I'm not "going off" so to speak. I'm doing what us Haudenosaunee are known for... debating in a diplomatic manner with a twist of down to earth woman thrown in there with the blah blah blah..LOL!

But a debate is not what I'm getting... I'm just being told I'm wrong.
I realize he is a legend in his own mind and has this need to be better than others but seriously,messin with a six nations woman proves he isnt as smart as he thinks he is
Old 08-01-2007, 03:56 PM   #340
Honey Connoissuer

your screen name reflects that wisdom ROFLMAO!!