Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? What is most important to you that Whites know about our people?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #61
BOULDERDASH!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 396.55
Savings: 1.00
Lightbulb that grew up in regular families that look like everyone else.

Yes....I know your on a roll, but wongeh?
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Coyot_In_The_House is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-18-2007, 05:39 PM   #62
winds of change are good

Wahishta has a spectacular aura about
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
wongeh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyot_In_The_House View Post

Yes....I know your on a roll, but wongeh?
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...could you make yourself clearer...Did I offend you somehow?
Wahishta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 03:18 AM   #63
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

That just because you met me and found out I'm NdN; that now magically somehow I know every NdN in America and Canada.

Has this happened to any of you out there in NdN & non-NdN country?
Old 06-20-2007, 06:16 AM   #64
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Even crazier - someone has a contemporary song with some spoken or sung ndn language:

Tell me what they're saying.

(I listen and catch a word or two.)

Uh, that's Navaho (or Lakota or whatever).

So - what are they saying?

... Like being ndn means I know all the languages of all the ppl in North America. I speak Nishnabek, and I'm rusty in it since I haven't been around a fluent speaker in almost 4 decades.
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 11:27 AM   #65
BOULDERDASH!

Coyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond reputeCoyot_In_The_House has a reputation beyond repute
You didn't offend me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahishta View Post
I'm not sure I understand what you mean...could you make yourself clearer...Did I offend you somehow?
Just made me think.....Here's what you said....

"that grew up in regular families that look like everyone else."

Maybe you would like to pontificate on that.....
"She also has a very soft skin. The only trouble with snake women is they copulate with horses, which makes them strange to me. She say's she doesn't. That's why I call her "Doesn't Like Horses". But, of course, she's lying."
Old 06-20-2007, 11:40 AM   #66
Love that dirty watah!

ndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to beholdndnangel49 is a splendid one to behold
What I would like people to understand that not all Native peoples have a last name like Running Hawk (just an example) My last name is Rojas, when I tell people they usually give me a blank stare or start speaking spanish. I don't know spanish! has anything like this ever happend to anyone else?
Just my two cents
ndnangel49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 01:08 PM   #67
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
ok so check it out. I had this professor my 2nd semester of Jr. College who was a GREAT person and a GREAT and passionate teacher. A white guy that truly wants to change the world or at least spark the mind that changes the world. He taught a class called "Raising children in a multicultural society" or "HUDV27" anyway it was that class that led me to wanting to be a preschool teacher. We covered every kind of "-ism" you can imagine in that class (racism, sexism, ableism, all that). But when it came to racism we covered a lot on black/white relations, mexican/immigrant issues, some on asian issues, but in that whole class, only one tiny chapter in one of the books even mentioned Native American issues. I asked him about that and he said that he didn't know a whole lot of good resources to bring that into the class but he would like to. What if I compiled all this info for him? Could I do that? Would anyone be opposed? I could get more from some more people not on here too.

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 01:32 PM   #68
~lethargic state of mind~

Items Elephant
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Mud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond reputeMud_Woman has a reputation beyond repute
Location: in the lil box beating the crap out of the other stick figure
Credits: 3,066.92
Keep some distance between people when talking, dont crowd them. Dont stare natives right in the eye, we are gentle ppl (keep staring us down or u'll get scapled). Dont touch our hair or our babys without asking first.

thats what u get 4 breaking my heart...
Mud_Woman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #69
winds of change are good

Quote:
Just made me think.....Here's what you said....

"that grew up in regular families that look like everyone else."

Maybe you would like to pontificate on that.....
in the place where I lived...in my family....but not in my own vision of myself...
Old 06-20-2007, 03:25 PM   #70
Senior Dancer

wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,939.03
I wish they understood that Native American Indians respect all of God's creations as being alive. And, that there is a "Spirit" to all of these creations, that is very much alive.

From the trees, that are God's witnesses, to all that is in the sky: Sun, Moon, the Clouds, Lighting, Thunder and all of the animals.

For example: Native American Indians hold the Eagle Feather in high regard because, the Eagle flys the highest to the heavens. When we make a motion with that Feather while praying, the "Spirit" that belongs to the Eagle from where that Feather came, can take that prayer to God.

And, I wish they wouldn't always complain about the weather. Their complaints will not change the weather. These people are only getting in the way.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:46 PM   #71
BOULDERDASH!

Some Skins don't know.....

Not every one is a historian, or a know it all....Some make themselves out to be, but it really shows when their either new to da mix or basically clueless......Not a real humble explanation, just right to the point....
Old 06-20-2007, 06:25 PM   #72
winds of change are good

Quote:
Not every one is a historian, or a know it all....Some make themselves out to be, but it really shows when their either new to da mix or basically clueless......Not a real humble explanation, just right to the point....
I am trying to do something I have never done before. I hope that you can understand that I do want to and do feel like I belong here...
I may be new, but I am proud to be Tsaliga and Blackfoot. I am not a pure breed, but I am a part of the people.
Please, if you want to help me to fit in, I would appreciate that, but don't beat me up for trying. I am only what I am.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:26 PM   #73
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb In A Good Way

Quote:
I am trying to do something I have never done before. I hope that you can understand that I do want to and do feel like I belong here...
I may be new, but I am proud to be Tsaliga and Blackfoot. I am not a pure breed, but I am a part of the people.
Please, if you want to help me to fit in, I would appreciate that, but don't beat me up for trying. I am only what I am.

There are other threads for this dialog my friend. This is the What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? thread.

I feel you on some of your issues. But lets try and stay on task shall we? I'm attempting to be as respectful as I can with out being disrespectful.

I've found a few places for skins to reach out to one another for advice and general sincere counseling: The "Spiritual Health" thread on the Health Issues Board. Also the "Marriage/Depression/Divorce thread on Health Issues. There are also individuals who have started specific threads which ask for advice from us all.

Peace
OD

Last edited by OneidaDreamer; 06-20-2007 at 07:41 PM..
OneidaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #74
PowWows.com Addicts

Quote:
Originally Posted by between2worlds View Post
Even crazier - someone has a contemporary song with some spoken or sung ndn language:

Tell me what they're saying.

(I listen and catch a word or two.)

Uh, that's Navaho (or Lakota or whatever).

So - what are they saying?

... Like being ndn means I know all the languages of all the ppl in North America. I speak Nishnabek, and I'm rusty in it since I haven't been around a fluent speaker in almost 4 decades.

Right on! I also find it offensive when some white person who finds out I'm a skin and says" hey say something in Indian for me!" WTF? Seriously folks...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:17 PM   #75
winds of change are good

I am in the right thread

[QUOTE=OneidaDreamer;939006]There are other threads for this dialog my friend. This is the What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? thread.

I feel you on some of your issues. But lets try and stay on task shall we? I'm attempting to be as respectful as I can with out being disrespectful.

I've found a few places for skins to reach out to one another for advice and general sincere counseling: The "Spiritual Health" thread on the Health Issues Board. Also the "Marriage/Depression/Divorce thread on Health Issues. There are also individuals who have started specific threads which ask for advice from us all.

I am staying on the thread...by answering a question. I don't need to go to deprresson/marriage or divorce. This is not a health issue. This is about being a Native American and what I want whites to know, with due respect. I want them to know that I sit at the table next to them and listen to them put down Native Americans...how they say we are lazy and that we live on the rez because its free. That we are not Americans...I want you to know that I am an in between and I hear what you don't.
Old 06-20-2007, 10:20 PM   #76
winds of change are good

[QUOTE=Wahishta;939052]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaDreamer View Post
There are other threads for this dialog my friend. This is the What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? thread.

I am staying on the thread...by answering a question. I don't need to go to deprresson/marriage or divorce. This is not a health issue. This is about being a Native American and what I want whites to know, with due respect. I want them to know that I sit at the table next to them and listen to them put down Native Americans...how they say we are lazy and that we live on the rez because its free. That we are not Americans...I want you to know that I am an in between and I hear what you don't.
And I want you to know I am staying on the thread...by answering a question. I don't need to go to deprresson, marriage or divorce. This is not a health issue.

This is about being a Native American and what I want whites to know, with due respect.

I want them to know that I sit at the table next to them and listen to them put down Native Americans...how they say we are lazy and that we live on the rez because its free. That we are not Americans...

I want you to know that I am an in between and I hear what you don't.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #77
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 118,564.58
Quote:
You're Sioux?

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 PM   #78
winds of change are good

Tsaliga and Blackfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
You're Sioux?
Yes and I am very proud of my native American blood line. I'm just feeling a little edgey by some of the comments. I don't know exactly how others are seeing me here. I want to be a part of this...I have not done well in the white world, and I felt like I would be welcome here, with the people. I hope I am right about that.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #79
PowWows.com Addicts

Talking So What Do Indians Eat Anyways?

That we eat food just like they do. So many non-Indians have asked me over the years? So like what do Indians eat? Their just amazed that we eat the same food they do. I tell them we eat hot dogs, and cheese burgers and coca cola and ice cream and ribs and pizza etc.

They ask if we eat dog and buffalo and other things I can't recall anymore. Their eyes get real big and they act like I'm lying and that we eat friggn Klingon food or something! LOL! But others smile a bit embarrassed a accept what I tell them.

Oh the ignorance!
Old 06-22-2007, 12:47 PM   #80
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm then ask them if they plan to kill you and take your property....
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links