Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What is most important to you that Whites know about our people? What is most important to you that Whites know about our people?

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2007, 02:17 PM   #81
PowWows.com Addicts

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
Hmm then ask them if they plan to kill you and take your property....
Easy killer! LOL
Old 06-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #82
Junior Dancer

Wakopataki is just really nice
I was frying hamburger patties at home one day and a White child who was about 10yrs., was over playing with my kids, asked me why I wasn't cooking the patties in a "Traditional NDN" way? I asked him what he meant by traditional and he looks at me and says, "I'm not even NDN and I have to tell you???"
He said, "aren't you supposed to sing a song and build a fire???"
I said no, I am using the stove and was promptly told that was cheating! I needed to build a fire and do it right!
Bless his heart, he was so disappointed, because he just knew that he was supposed to get a real live, "NDN" show when he came over!
His parents had told him what "real" NDN's eat and how they cook everything with a loud song! Lol! OOHH, and let's not forget the sound of drums in the background and how we gather bugs outside to eat!!! Lol!

So yes, we do eat the same foods as Whites, and even cook it on stoves and use ovens!!! When we have them of course!
Wakopataki is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 03:04 PM   #83
PowWows.com Addicts

OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
OneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond reputeOneidaDreamer has a reputation beyond repute
I do love my chocolate covered ants though!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:08 PM   #84
Junior Dancer

He said he knows we eat grasshopper legs and I told no...not much meat there!
Old 06-22-2007, 03:48 PM   #85
winds of change are good

Wahishta has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakopataki View Post
He said he knows we eat grasshopper legs and I told no...not much meat there!
Wakoataki....I'm happy to know your not on that grasshopper diet!! It's so hard to get their little legs off anyway!LOL
Wahishta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 03:57 PM   #86
Senior Dancer

trob226 is a splendid one to beholdtrob226 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 82.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneidaDreamer View Post
I do love my chocolate covered ants though!
"They don't melt in your hand - they crawl in your mouth."

Bob Shane
trob226 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 03:58 PM   #87
Senior Dancer

trob226 is a splendid one to beholdtrob226 is a splendid one to behold
Credits: 82.00
Quote:
I was frying hamburger patties at home one day and a White child who was about 10yrs., was over playing with my kids, asked me why I wasn't cooking the patties in a "Traditional NDN" way? I asked him what he meant by traditional and he looks at me and says, "I'm not even NDN and I have to tell you???"
I said no, I am using the stove and was promptly told that was cheating! I needed to build a fire and do it right!
Bless his heart, he was so disappointed, because he just knew that he was supposed to get a real live, "NDN" show when he came over!
His parents had told him what "real" NDN's eat and how they cook everything with a loud song! Lol! OOHH, and let's not forget the sound of drums in the background and how we gather bugs outside to eat!!! Lol!

So yes, we do eat the same foods as Whites, and even cook it on stoves and use ovens!!! When we have them of course!
You could have said, "No, dear, that's the Boy Scouts."
trob226 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 04:00 PM   #88
winds of change are good

Wahishta has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe G View Post
Hmm then ask them if they plan to kill you and take your property....
I don't own any property...LOL just my art and poetry...
Wahishta is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 04:26 PM   #89
Tiny Tot Dancer

Minasmom is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:

Oh, oh, I got one! You should've asked if you could come over and watch his mom loom quilts in his log cabin! Ard where is your dad's covered wagon?
Minasmom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #90
Junior Dancer

You guys are sooo funny! I'll never forget his little face and how he looked! Ya know like when puppies hear a strange noise and cock their heads sideways, looking confused? Cute Kid, but I ain't eatin no bug for em!
Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM   #91
PowWows.com Addicts

Talking What Kind of Music Do Indians Listen To?

That we listen the roughly the same music they do. When I was in Hospital Corps School, I roomed next to these Phillipeno dudes. And one day my friend who happened to be a Phillipeno was like, man I heard you listening to some DJ Shadow. I was like yeah?

Dude was like " I didn't know Indians listened to Underground Hip-Hop?"

"What are Indians suppose to listen to man?" says I

" Well not that."

" Oh you mean we're suppose to listen to big drum and flute music right?" I asked him

He was like " well yeah."

After that we both shared a laugh and ended up with even more respect for each other.

Point being: Yes Indians listen to all types of music. Everything from Oldies,Classic Rock,Jazz,Country,Rock,Metal,Punk,R&B/Soul to World Music. And everything in between.

I didn't get an attitude with my friend. I just showed him my cd book and he was quite impressed at the great variety.

Peace,
OD

Last edited by OneidaDreamer; 06-22-2007 at 06:08 PM..
OneidaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #92
Great Uncle Patrick

between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
between2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond reputebetween2worlds has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 5,691.96
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
You guys are sooo funny! I'll never forget his little face and how he looked! Ya know like when puppies hear a strange noise and cock their heads sideways, looking confused? Cute Kid, but I ain't eatin no bug for em!
between2worlds is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007, 01:02 AM   #93
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Originally Posted by trob226 View Post
You could have said, "No, dear, that's the Boy Scouts."
TOO FUNNY!!!

NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-23-2007, 02:56 AM   #94
Junior Dancer

Today at the mall we saw a new "NDN" goods store. Well in this store it was the usual made in China or in Europe kinda stuff. It wasn't Native made. If your wisichu and know nothing, the store looks amazing in it's scope and depth of appeal. Well the first thing about the people in the store looking, that we noticed, is that they were all very quiet, like they were in a church. They were in in such awe and reverence like they were being allowed in the presence of this stuff, that it was really something to behold. They whispered as if it would be rude to talk at a normal voice, their children were made to be quiet and only allowed to talk, in a small quiet voice. They were very nervous as if honored to touch the things out for them to buy. The ususal music playing in the background etc. You get the picture. Now the wisicu owner of the store came up to my daughter because my little son made a noise that wasn't in a whisper and looked at him in a harsh way because he was breaking the spell...Now my daughter looked at her like "Oh No U didn't" and the woman asks if she can help her find some quality NDN goods. So my daughter says, "In here? NDN goods? There is nothing NDN in this store!" The lady asks, "why would you say that? They sell this stuff at powwows!"
So my daughter asks, "have you ever been to a powwow?"
She answers back in the negative!
My daughter says, "EXACTLY, THEY SELL THIS STUFF IN CHINA!!"
Then the lady says how would you know anyway? Are you NDN or something!" Well that pushed my daughter's button. Lol!
So of course she says yeah, and then pointed out how strange the people in the store were acting, as there was nothing out, that was of any spiritual value, but a bunch of new age stuff and alot of feathers!
So the woman continues by saying, that it's not the goods but the feeling from them that are spiritual to the holder of the item, and the reverence they cause as demonstrated by the "SPELL" in the store! Thus making them Native American Items. Confusing? Yeah! In other words they don't have to be Native made to be real.
So my daughter just shakes her head and says, "Mom I have to get outta this wisicu store before I let her have it, and I am taking Caleb with me so he won't disturbed the "SPELL"!

What I want Whites to know is that made in China, Asia, and Europe etc. is not Native made and is of no value as far as authenticity or merit!
That "New Age" IS NOT Native American!
That feathers or wall hangings, jewlery, statues, etc. does not make you and NDN, nor an honoray NDN!
That there is no need for the reverence of such things found in the store! That you don't have to be quiet or whisper around such items, and that the "SPELL" is all in your mind!
That different Nations hold different beliefs from one another and such items used by them, are not sitting on your local store shelf to be pawed over!
This weird mystical thing that wisicu's have made up, can in fact be very creepy and down right weird!!!
It's kinda like, the more of this stuff you buy and wear and decorate your home with, somehow makes you more NDN than a real one, and the "SPELL" has in fact become status symbol! Like I can feel it more than you can!!
Old 06-23-2007, 03:39 AM   #95
PowWows.com Addicts

Thumbs up

Quote:
Today at the mall we saw a new "NDN" goods store. Well in this store it was the usual made in China or in Europe kinda stuff. It wasn't Native made. If your wisichu and know nothing, the store looks amazing in it's scope and depth of appeal. Well the first thing about the people in the store looking, that we noticed, is that they were all very quiet, like they were in a church. They were in in such awe and reverence like they were being allowed in the presence of this stuff, that it was really something to behold. They whispered as if it would be rude to talk at a normal voice, their children were made to be quiet and only allowed to talk, in a small quiet voice. They were very nervous as if honored to touch the things out for them to buy. The ususal music playing in the background etc. You get the picture. Now the wisicu owner of the store came up to my daughter because my little son made a noise that wasn't in a whisper and looked at him in a harsh way because he was breaking the spell...Now my daughter looked at her like "Oh No U didn't" and the woman asks if she can help her find some quality NDN goods. So my daughter says, "In here? NDN goods? There is nothing NDN in this store!" The lady asks, "why would you say that? They sell this stuff at powwows!"
Then the lady says how would you know anyway? Are you NDN or something!" Well that pushed my daughter's button. Lol!
So of course she says yeah, and then pointed out how strange the people in the store were acting, as there was nothing out, that was of any spiritual value, but a bunch of new age stuff and alot of feathers!
So the woman continues by saying, that it's not the goods but the feeling from them that are spiritual to the holder of the item, and the reverence they cause as demonstrated by the "SPELL" in the store! Thus making them Native American Items. Confusing? Yeah! In other words they don't have to be Native made to be real.
So my daughter just shakes her head and says, "Mom I have to get outta this wisicu store before I let her have it, and I am taking Caleb with me so he won't disturbed the "SPELL"!

What I want Whites to know is that made in China, Asia, and Europe etc. is not Native made and is of no value as far as authenticity or merit!
That feathers or wall hangings, jewlery, statues, etc. does not make you and NDN, nor an honoray NDN!
That there is no need for the reverence of such things found in the store! That you don't have to be quiet or whisper around such items, and that the "SPELL" is all in your mind!
That different Nations hold different beliefs from one another and such items used by them, are not sitting on your local store shelf to be pawed over!
This weird mystical thing that wisicu's have made up, can in fact be very creepy and down right weird!!!
It's kinda like, the more of this stuff you buy and wear and decorate your home with, somehow makes you more NDN than a real one, and the "SPELL" has in fact become status symbol! Like I can feel it more than you can!!

I can't believe she had the audacity to talk that crap to your daughter! What balls. It pisses me off that the white profiteers make a buck on our behalf, hawking their fake feathered sad new age knock offs of our culture. Her explanation of the so called "Reverence Factor" that her store was suppose to infuse in people is so laughable! What fools. And she gave your daughter the death stare for breaking some stupid taboo she's imposing on the store! Geeeez! LOL

Right on Wakopataki!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:31 AM   #96
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

next time just tell her your going to call the Indian Arts and Crafts Board 1-888-art-fake (good working number) and report them.
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007, 07:52 PM   #97
Pow Wow Visitor

FreeFocus will become famous soon enough
I want whites to know that they need to seriously back off from indigenous affairs. They need to know the genuine harm they've caused and will continue to cause.

Also, I want them to know that we come from nations, not tribes. I'm sick of what they've defined indigenous social and political structures to be. We need to take back our identity.
FreeFocus is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007, 08:29 PM   #98
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,963.51
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeFocus View Post
I want whites to know that they need to seriously back off from indigenous affairs.
Or else, what? Specifically? What, precisely, ARE "Indigenous Affairs?" What should the whites back away from? Entitlements? That's the bane of our society, already.

Quote:
They need to know the genuine harm they've caused and will continue to cause.
At this point, other Natives cause FAR more harm than any "whites" through separatist rhetoric and knee-jerk aversion to defining their own culture through growth. The "poor me, look what the whites have done/are doing" mentality is the most harmful of all.

Quote:
Also, I want them to know that we come from nations, not tribes.
Really? Do we have standing armies, valued currency or true, recognized, status? Would the Great Father allow us to enter into a trade agreement with China? It's called "limited sovereignity." That doesn't sound like a nation. :(

Quote:
I'm sick of what they've defined indigenous social and political structures to be. We need to take back our identity.
1. Then take the first step: throw off the yoke of the BIA, CDIB's, government cheese, Indian Housing, reservations and other forms of existence that make us social pets and wards of the state. Don't accept their offerings for placation.

2. Don't rely on THEM to tell US who/what we are. Get past Acts/tariffs from 1990 related to Native crafts and openly compete: it is a prime example of stunted growth to whine for protection from the very hand (Federal Government) presumed to be harming us.

3. Try some personal accountability. If a Native person on this planet is not successful (however they wish to define such), it isn't because of what did -- or didn't -- happen to their great-great-great-grandfather, the "white man," society, alcohol or any other "it's not my fault" crutch they wish to lean upon: it's because they refused to become personally accountable for their own success.
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007, 08:47 PM   #99
Banned

kiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to beholdkiowakat is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post

1. Then take the first step: throw off the yoke of the BIA, CDIB's, government cheese, Indian Housing, reservations and other forms of existence that make us social pets and wards of the state. Don't accept their offerings for placation.
so you mean disband tribes and/or reservations right?
kiowakat is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #100
Student, always learning

whitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond reputewhitewave has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiowakat View Post
so you mean disband tribes and/or reservations right?
Oh yea (sarcasm) so then they can drill into what's left of this sacred land huh? Great idea Zeke.

Peace, Love, and many blessings,
White Wave
whitewave is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links