Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues What is your defination of an Indian What is your defination of an Indian

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2004, 03:22 PM   #21
Quality Taco Inspector

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond reputeGache has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 727.00
Savings: 1.00
its all how you point your lips otherwise your just an apple :)
Gache is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-23-2004, 08:55 PM   #22
Teen Dancer

CactusButt is a name known to all
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Ok well I am white my ancestors on my mom's side are German, and that's it just German. My dad is 1/2 something native on his mother's side. And his dad is German, French and English. My Grandma had her son (my dad) taken away from her by my German, French, and English Grandfather. Therefore my dad who is 1/2(whatever tribe grandma was from), and 1/2 white, yet he never learned a thing about being native, doesn't know what tribe his own mother was from and refuses to talk about her or her family at all because of the racist ideas he was raised on by his white family. Is he an indian? Am I an indian? Hmm.... well technically we are both partially indian, I spent 5 years in Dine land and learned some language and culture, my ex-husband is 4/4 Dine, my kids are 2/4 Dine. They know some culture, no language (yet), and little experience with the Dine way of life. When they go to church it is with me at a Catholic church or my mom at a Baptist church. I take them to pow wow's more lately than times past, and my oldest boy dances. If you look at them they look Indian to Mexican. If you ask them they tell you they are Dine or Navajo or indian or something. They never have claimed to be white..... What I am wondering is what would your definitions of an indian say about my dad, me, and finally about my kids. Personally I think like I said my dad, me, and my kids are all technically at least part indian but it's hard to say about the rest of it. My kids sure feel like they are indians.... so I'd hate to think that another indian wouldn't accept them as such. I have alway's accepted my "place" as a visitor, and have endured a fair amount of hatred and racism on account of my whiteness. I accepted the hatred and racist comments concerning myself because I understand where it all comes from and feel that it is all completely grounded. White people *#@*ed indians over and still do every day, so why the hell wouldn't an indian person hate on the white race. What I don't accept or tolerate is racism and hatred toward my kids.:Yell So while my kids are getting teased at school for their skin color, their long hair(they are boys), or the fact that they go to pow wow's and dance and like indian music, there are some who would say that they aren't indians. Better not say it to their crazy *** dad!!! Or the in-laws, oh the in-laws!
CactusButt is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2004, 02:52 AM   #23
Pow Wow Visitor

southernsinger_ok is an unknown quantity at this point
My opion of an Indian is one who's native ancestors are from India. Natives or Indigenous people from this land we call America, North Pole to South Pole have nothing to do with India other than the fact that Colubus had thought that he discovered a new route to India and landed in the West Indies. I feel that us Natives or Indigenous people should refer to ourselves as our Trible name or as Natives or Indigenous people of the Americas, that is if one has any ancestors that are Native or Indigenous to these Americas.
southernsinger_ok is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-24-2004, 12:13 PM   #24
Junior Dancer

keeb_k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Gache
its all how you point your lips otherwise your just an apple :)
LMAO,goot one
Old 01-26-2004, 12:15 AM   #25
PowWows.com Addicts

ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
ojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond reputeojibwaysweetie has a reputation beyond repute
I like very much what wakalapi said. Very true.

Being NDN is being of physical NDN decent, from gr gr grandparents to gr grandparents to gr parents to parents.

If you do not have NDN blood, then you are not NDN. (hello!) The blood running through your veins is what determines who you are. Nevermind this "whats in your heart", "its not the colour of your skin that matters" or the everlasting "I was adopted". and blah blah blah! Either you have ndn blood or you don't!

ojibwaysweetie is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #26
Teen Dancer

storm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond reputestorm has a reputation beyond repute
OK, now i have read all this I have a new question..
Is there a difference between being an Indian (genetic definition) and being Indian (cultural definition) It seems were have both around this board. And I agree I am not from India, but it is an old habit. On another thread they discuss this. There this guy wants to discuss "spiritual indians" a spirit? What that? One of the Ponca words for white man is wa xe (means ghost also) maybe that is the kind of spirit he means. I do not care at all if non-natives want to learn all they can, they need it,,, but don't claim to be An Indian.
Old 01-27-2004, 04:12 PM   #27
Teen Dancer

Lightbulb

A Spiritual Indian? Whatever! :Angel2

I never met anyone who was a spiritual indian.

Oh wait.... the school counselor where my kids go.... she lived in New Mexico for like 10 yrs., anyways she always gushes on and on and on and on and.... on about native religion (?) and how much she loves the animals and nature (?). She even started showing my son some animal energy cards (?) My son thought he was a snake all day, kept hissing around. (He knows better now, I told him he was really a Prairie Chicken, you'd understand if you ever saw him dance.)

So this lady, she says she believes in Indian Religion, and follows indian ways. I asked her if that meant she went to NAC meetings, prayed with cedar, and went to sweats or PowWows or any of that stuff, and she just looked at me all confused. She told my son that she is an indian at heart.

so my son says to me... "Mom, don't you have to have Indian blood in your body for your heart to be an Indian heart?" when I asked him why he asked it like that he said...."because, your heart pumps blood through some chambers and stuff, but its all the blood you were born with, and it stays the same your whole life except your body gets it clean and dirty and clean again over and over. Didn't they teach you that in science mom? Geez!"

We are both physical and spiritual, but my understanding is such... our spiritual self and our physical self are not separated by anything, that is why in all different types of religions you will find physical elements in worship. There is not a way for us to separate our physical bodies from our spiritual bodies, until we die. Even then no matter what religion a person believes in we are physical beings in our spiritual form. When we are alive we are spiritual beings in our physical forms. WE ARE BOTH, ALL THE TIME.

You cannot be a spiritual indian unless you are a physical indian.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:30 AM   #28
Ba©k Iñ ƒù££ Eƒƒek*

ndn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond reputendn_butterfly has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by ojibwaysweetie
If you do not have NDN blood, then you are not NDN. (hello!) The blood running through your veins is what determines who you are. Nevermind this "whats in your heart", "its not the colour of your skin that matters" or the everlasting "I was adopted". and blah blah blah! Either you have ndn blood or you don't!
Roger that Sweetie;) However, I DO have NDN blood running thru my veins, and for which I am very proud of:) But along with my Indian blood comes many other things. Cultures, Traditions, knowing that our people have made it this far since 1492. To know that our people have survived through Residential/Boarding schools. Not only are our people Survivors..but we are VICTORIOUS in many ways. To know that there are many others out there fighting the good fight. Fighting for our rights, and for what they as individuals believe in. Its looking in the mirror and knowing where I come from and WHO I am, I am a Nehiyaw Iskwew, I am Cree, I am Dene. These amongst many other things are what makes me an "Indian" and a proud one at that;)

(ok it might have been the deadly diet pepsi caffeine trip that I'm on, but it's all true)
Old 01-28-2004, 06:39 AM   #29
Turning Gray

Standingbull is on a distinguished road
Credits: 130.00
I think blood proves to the government and non beleiveing people but, People know by your walk and looks and talk , People at my job always makeing wise cracks about the Indian man sometime it makes me proud sometimes sad. My daughter gets called squaw and pocohontise at school even by teachers, which is Ok to them, but would go to jail for saying nigger or loose their job. So you wont to be called a Indian you better learn what it cost us being one.

Standingbull
Old 01-28-2004, 06:58 PM   #30
Teen Dancer

If I was you I would say something to the school. I told the teacher at my sons school that some of the kids were teasing my son and calling him Cheif Joseph (his name is Joseph), and telling him that he wasn't an indian because there aren't any such things as indians. He got in trouble for hitting the kid, after an entire recess of stupid comments and remarks. After I talked to the teacher, principal, and school counselor the entire school had to have an assembly on tolerance and respecting others. They also had a letter sent around to the parents asking them to talk to their children about respecting other people, and to encourage them to be respectful. My son doesn't get teased too much anymore. Sometimes when you speak up it helps. He also knows that he can count on me to back him up with stuff. Might be helpful for your daughter if you said something to the staff at her school. If that doesn't do any good, take it to the school district administration offices, if that doesn't work take it to the mayors office. People need to realize that it is not ok to joke around about stuff. Does anyone have any articles on the derogitory nature of the word Squaw that they could pass on to our friend here so he can print it out and give it to the teacher at his daughters school? Maybe if you look on the internet you will find something too. Reading an article sometimes helps teachers because they are more likely to take it seriously then. You could also send it anonymously if you wanted that way she doesn't get picked on or retaliated against.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:11 PM   #31
Pow Wow Visitor

QUIETSPIRIT19 is an unknown quantity at this point
I would like to reply to this thread the best way that I can. Being non native I have plenty of native people that I enjoy talking to and who take the time to explain the culture to me. I am married to a wonderful Indian man and have we have a beautiful daughter.

So in reply to this I think not only are Indians are the First Group of people here who have taken more that they deserve and given away more than should ever had to. A group of people who are kind hearted to some and just deal with others. A group of people who are true to what they believe in and doesn't mind saying so. A group of people whose culture is so amazing that others will take it as their own and Indians don't complain.

Indians are not defined as browned skinned, round face people with long straight black hair. They are a group of people of different distinctions all their own. Heart, mind and soul thats all good. I can say this because this is my husband and daughter. Two beautiful indian people.

i hope this is acceptable from someone on the outside looking in.
QUIETSPIRIT19 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 02-02-2004, 05:18 AM   #32
Pow Wow Visitor

Stephan is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 60.00
Cool mfg

a few statements: 1. an other source says that india wasnt
called india in the 15th century it was called
hindustan!!!
2. red blood black blood white blood . people
of noble brith have blue blood
but the "bloods" are all red. so many natives
are speaking of blood quantums. but why? it
it was a/the creation/work of the white man
who hoped to assimilate the natives.
i mean: if there is to much white blood than
this person isnt recognized as a native
person. is that true?
and a small story: once the father of my friend told me, he has imigrated to austria and is from agypt, that when something happens to austria it happens to him. so he is also concerned. and he said: so im austrian and i will take care of my new home.