Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree6Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues White People at Pow Wows White People at Pow Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2004, 04:44 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
pow wow guest is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
White People at Pow Wows

Because of some of the responses to my little disagreement with some people on this board, and Mato's idea to stick to the subject, I decided to start a new thread.
I would like to hear from others on their feelings about white people attending Pow Wows. I don't mean "wannabes" because I am not a "wannabe", I go to Pow Wows to relax and enjoy the celebration, to listen to the music and see the interaction amoung the people, I adhere to all the rules and regulations, and I have also helped out at Pow Wows as security, setting up and then taking down at the end. I have seen the "wannabes" at Pow Wows and it bugs me as well as some of you on this board, I think it is a real dishonour to the native culture.
pow wow guest is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 05:06 PM   #2
Tiny Tot Dancer

snowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond reputesnowbird has a reputation beyond repute
just a friendly reminder..again...there is not ONE native culture. There are many, diverse native cultureS. I think that bugs alot of native ppl who know alot about their specific tribal history to be lumped into one group. :) not trying to attack, just help you learn
snowbird is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 05:15 PM   #3
Pow Wow Visitor

snagarific is an unknown quantity at this point
:Eyepopper ohhhhhh some of the restless natives are gonna have a field day with this one girl!
I'll save my own opinionated opinion to my own own self...let's just say I've had to grit my teeth one to many times while watching some hookie "non-sav" jumping around, thrashing their arms wildly, doing the pocahontas lulu while having a grand ole time (I know that stretching what u be talkin bout)
but I'll throw a lil humor in for good measure...couple yrs ago this one gal (not knowing a dang thing about anything native...as white as one could get) wanted to go to a powwow w/ us. I did NOT want to do it but it was a military fren of a fren. She went, she saw, she B*tched!..the whole weekend!!!:33: OMG I was soooo sick of her!!! So half way thru we told her, "some of these guys are real tradish, they'll just throw you over their shoulder and we'll never see you again"....just lots of over the top stuff like that!!!! If you catch a dancer lookin at you...your done fer!...watch that blonde hair of yours!!!" etc...
snagarific is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 05:56 PM   #4
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
Savings: 1.00
Ok how bout making your question just a tad bit clearer.... you mean white people attending powwows as guests and spectators or there to dance and participate in all ways? I'm asking this because this is the 5th thread I've seen in 3 years with the same title and you need to be very clear and specific on what you are wanting to know cause this is a hot topic.
Old 10-24-2004, 06:10 PM   #5
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
I personally dont have a problem with white people attending pow wows. As long as they are respectful of the grounds well that goes for everyone. Well if ya look at from my point of view some people rag on the white peope cuz they alwasy ask silly questions and even sometimes pay to take a picture with you. Thats kinda cool to me, cuz they are interested in the native cultures. But on the other hand the non-natives who WANT TO BE native is really pathedic. Afterall pow wows they are open to everyone...plus during intertribals usually the MC invites everyone to come out.
Old 10-24-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
I for one, really like white folks to pay their greenbacks to come in. I wish more would come. They pay for the prize money. If more came, we'd get bigger prize money. Ayyyyeee, J/K.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 08:55 PM   #7
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 829.86
I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl. Maybe they can dance in regalia if they're adopted or married into the culture i suppose.
Reminds me of the time me and sister were at the Fort Langley, BC pow-wow a couple of years ago. I was at the tent and she went to the can by the gates. She came back and said when she came out a white couple had drove up and aksed what was going on. She said, "its a pow-wow". They asked "what's that?" she said "its singin and dancing" they asked "who's playing?" then she had to explain a little about drums and native dancers to them. They paid their entrance fee. Near the end of the night me and my sisiter were sitting on the top bleachers and it was near the end of the night eh and she says "look. there's that couple i was talking to at the gate." i though it was kewl that some non-natives who didnt know anything about pow-wows came in and enjoyed themselves all day and night.
as for the other point you've made pw guest. i like to watch other cultures dance like japanese, chinese, east indian and whatever but it doesn't mean im going to get dressed up in their regalia.
i always think that the white brother has lost their way, and other cultures, ive said it in other posts. look at the way other cultures treat their women then you'll know why i think well generally native cultures are the best. And any smart thinking non-natives see that and want to join it...can you blame them? but it doesnt mean they can be making money being psuedo shamans..
middle of the sky is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 09:38 PM   #8
An URBAN NDN

Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Singing Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeSinging Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 209.08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwehnzii
I for one, really like white folks to pay their greenbacks to come in. I wish more would come. They pay for the prize money. If more came, we'd get bigger prize money. Ayyyyeee, J/K.
Sheesh Ki - :D
Singing Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 09:40 PM   #9
Pow Wow Visitor

pow wow guest is a jewel in the rough
Exactly what I was talking about, I do not dress in Traditional clothing except my own, I do not dance even intertribal (because I think I would suck at it). I know there are different customs amoung the many Nations, and by going to different ones in B.C. and Washington I am learning different traditions. To those who have not read my form I made out when I joined I am a Male.

Middle of the Sky
I have been to the Fort Langley Pow Wow twice and it was good both times. When I did work security it was at the Cloverdale Rodeo Pow Wow 2 years ago. If you were there do you remember a silly older white woman dressed in furs, with a young guy helping her out, well she claims to be a reincanation of some Native person and was trying to flog religious material onto people, when I heard that I removed her from the building. Like I said, I as well as most of you get real upset with people being disrespectfull of the Native culture.

griggsmichael,
I will answer you on here, read my posts I am a white male, I have family that have been and still married to native people and have neices and nephews with native blood and have had friends that are native and my partner I live with now has Native blood.

Last edited by pow wow guest; 10-24-2004 at 09:49 PM..
pow wow guest is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
middle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond reputemiddle of the sky has a reputation beyond repute
pow-wow guest, yes ive seen that woman around...i believe she has mental health issues.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:49 PM   #11
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Eh, What??????

[QUOTE=middle of the sky][COLOR=Teal]I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl.

Hi Middle, inter-tribals or Owl???? wasn't that a different thread? J/K...
hope this typo wasn't an omen!
C
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 10:53 PM   #12
Barstar..

Innocently_evil has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by this1ndnchic
I personally dont have a problem with white people attending pow wows. As long as they are respectful of the grounds well that goes for everyone. Well if ya look at from my point of view some people rag on the white peope cuz they alwasy ask silly questions and even sometimes pay to take a picture with you. Thats kinda cool to me, cuz they are interested in the native cultures. But on the other hand the non-natives who WANT TO BE native is really pathedic. Afterall pow wows they are open to everyone...plus during intertribals usually the MC invites everyone to come out.
I couldnt agree with you more ...I think pow wows are for everyone to enjoy...and as long as you are respectful of everything that goes on its alright by me..to be honest..i have seen some non-natives show more respect than natives...
Old 10-24-2004, 10:58 PM   #13
Teen Dancer

fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
fancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond reputefancy_shawls_225 has a reputation beyond repute
well,
This is interesting. I was at the Calgary Stampede powwow and there was some white chic dressed up in a traditional outfit. It was very nice, the outfit, but she was white and you could tell that there was not one drop in Native blood in her. She was playing indian. It bugged me. And theres the people that think they know everything...they have those people who come to the Stampede Indian Village too. Yet there ar ethose people who just enjoy watching and having fun adn don't try to be indian. I don't know people should have some respect and go find thier own culture and accept others. I do shows for people and people say to me that what I do is beautiful. They enjoy it.I mean, what can I say to that. But it was that girl and people who think they know everything who bug me. If they come and observe, that's fine with me, but wannabes? Nope. People who come and ask questions is cool, and people who think its beautiful too:D I think though its a diverse subject and everyone is entilted to thier own opinion and respect others opinions. I can agree with everyone of you:D Anyways, i hope I made sense:D
Peace people,
fancyshawls
fancy_shawls_225 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2004, 11:17 PM   #14
M...O...T...to the S!

Items Present
[QUOTE=colonah04]
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle of the sky
[COLOR=Teal]I think it's fine for white people to come in and watch the pow-wow, maybe dance inter-tribals, or owl.

Hi Middle, inter-tribals or Owl???? wasn't that a different thread? J/K...
hope this typo wasn't an omen!
C
lol....i was going to post one of my lame o jokes on that thread....about the owl dance...when i went to winnipeg i forgot how it was fun to go out and ask non-natives to dance the owl dance..they dont do that out here in the west yep...im not a witch...oops diff thread.(and no pms jokes)..lol..im just going to be one for halloween...
Old 10-24-2004, 11:30 PM   #15
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
I agree that "white" people are more than welcome to attend pow wows after all isnt that one of the reasons we hold such events, to create awareness? As long as they respect our traditions and are not ignorant in asking the proper questons. I also agree that "white" people need to understand that yes we are ALL Natives but we do not have the same practices we are unique that way, what one tribe does could be totally diff than what another tribe does and everyone needs to respect that.
I think it is good that ALL cultures share but when it comes to being ignorant and just clinging onto a culture because you think it is cool well then there is a problem, kinda like some of the young Natives acting like black folk with all the rap , gangster attitudes, thats not US but because it is cool our youth abandon thier own traditions and dive into something else while offending the original people of that culture because they do not understand the history behind it.
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2004, 12:13 AM   #16
~*Coastal Steps*~

this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
this1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond reputethis1ndnchic has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innocently_evil
I couldnt agree with you more ...I think pow wows are for everyone to enjoy...and as long as you are respectful of everything that goes on its alright by me..to be honest..i have seen some non-natives show more respect than natives...
Ive seen that to...its a shame really.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:42 AM   #17
Pow Wow Visitor

firegirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb

Hi, I guess this is going to be my first post (reply to a post) but I suppose its about right. I only wish you all reading this thread could see what has been going on in my head. I try not to make things "Racial" issues but you know this whole thing with "white" ppl losing their culture is true(but there's more too it than just being WHITE). It is also true that many "native" ppls have lost their culture as well. Today was the second day of the second pow wow that I have attended. I grew up in a very diverse area and loved it. After attending a Traditional Healers of the Americas seminar, I realized that I had met many diverse groups of "newer" immigrants and had never been surrounded by "our"-not mine but"ours" as in the history of the Americas- true native culture....wait let me clarify...I mean cultures of course~not just one! Many times it seems that ppl are refering to "a" native culture which infact I suppose comes from the generalized image of stereotypical clumping- rezervations and commodoties, warriors and healers, poverty and health issues. Of course some things will be glorified inappropriately while other issues overlooked completely. These types of commonalities are things that many Indigenous ppl of the world share. All over there are falsities that need to be addressed on specific levels. But see, as it was said today at the pow wow, WE ALL came from some tribe at one point (from somewhere in the world). It sure is frustrating to know a history but not have all of the complete teachings. I think most can agree upon that. So when I feel deeply connected to something I like to be a part of it in what ever way I can. Like a pow wow for example...yes I wish that was my culture I could be proud of...I enjoy the commroderie and socializing and the sound of the drum. But it's not mine so I, as an outsider to that "general" native culture, must sit back and respect that. That usually means coming by and sitting in the background so as not to disturb anyone and cleaning up and putting $$$ where it needs to go and so on. I think part of what the problem is that there are some ppl who realize that "Hey! these ppl (natives -of any culture) have been through a lot and are still kicking, they must know a secret, let me learn what they know." What they fail to realize is that they too have their own culture. We all have culture today. Culture is what we make of it. As a "white girl" who joined this site to "learn and socialize" I wanted to get my foot in the door...or my words on the thread. SO, sorry for not doing a search on this topic before I put my thoughts down. Oh and thank you's to AngleFeather, MidSky,and This1ndnchic, I agree with you. ooh sorry its so long.
firegirl is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2004, 01:28 AM   #18
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Quote:
That's cold man. LOL!!! Just for your information it is politically incorrect to call them "WHITE PEOPLE", they are complexion challenged.

Seriously, It should be alright for anybody to attend Powwows. I was at a Powwow in Victoria when the Commonwealth Games were here in 1994 and some athletes from New Guinea participated in a Grand Entry wearing their traditional regalia. It was real cool to see them although they just wore very little clothing and that for some of our people was too much. Although some of the fancy shawl dancers really like it. Kiddin.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2004, 01:40 AM   #19
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
That's cold dude. LOL!!! Anyway, its politically incorrect to refer to them as "WHITE PEOPLE" nowadays anyway. They are complexion challenged. I believe that anybody should be able to attend powwows. I was at a Powwow in Victoria, BC in 1994 when the Commonwealth Games were there. Some athletes from New Guinea participated in the Grand Entry wearing their traditional regalia. It looked real cool to see them with our dancers. Although they wore very little clothing and that bothered some of our people. I heard a lot of the fancy shawl dancers liked it though. Kiddin.

Being Coast Salish, we have our ceremonies in the Winter and some people invite their "complexion challenged" friends to our bighouses. When we invite people to them we are responsible for the people that we bring. If they do anything to "mess up" the guests aren't held responsible, the person/s who invited them have to answer for any indiscretions. Sometimes it can be very expensive to the family and I don't mean financially. I think that's a good way to operate, tell the people to remember that if you invite them then they are representing you. I don't know what you do when it is open to the general public. Hope this has been helpful. Only my humble opinion.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2004, 10:03 AM   #20
is a talking Magpie

wannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond reputewannabeUrNo1Snag has a reputation beyond repute
i jus kinna ignore white people at powwows...maybe i'm jus stuck up like that...cuz the ones i noticed just act foolish...wearing raccoon hats n buying bows and arrows...pounding their feet as hard as they can to the drum..dressed head to toe in suede n fringe...chokers galore...blah blah blah...

but thats not even the most annoyin part...its the white people who are sooo interested in learning native cultures n such...that they make it a point to attend EVERY single powwow...make it a point to try and MEET every dancer...they try so hard to "fit" in...to me it seems fake...

theres this white lady my father knows...stalker!!...after a few years of not speaking with her...she comes out of the wood work...trying to get my dad to go to powwows with her...go out to dinner with her n her new native frenz...even went out west sayin her "trip wuz a spiritual experience.."..thats wut i don't like...

you can't be native by association...

check out - http://www.iGive.com/porcupineclinic
wannabeUrNo1Snag is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links