Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree28Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues White People at Pow Wows White People at Pow Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #201
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
many paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc View Post
That's cold dude. LOL!!! Anyway, its politically incorrect to refer to them as "WHITE PEOPLE" nowadays anyway. They are complexion challenged. I believe that anybody should be able to attend powwows. I was at a Powwow in Victoria, BC in 1994 when the Commonwealth Games were there. Some athletes from New Guinea participated in the Grand Entry wearing their traditional regalia. It looked real cool to see them with our dancers. Although they wore very little clothing and that bothered some of our people. I heard a lot of the fancy shawl dancers liked it though. Kiddin.

Being Coast Salish, we have our ceremonies in the Winter and some people invite their "complexion challenged" friends to our bighouses. When we invite people to them we are responsible for the people that we bring. If they do anything to "mess up" the guests aren't held responsible, the person/s who invited them have to answer for any indiscretions. Sometimes it can be very expensive to the family and I don't mean financially. I think that's a good way to operate, tell the people to remember that if you invite them then they are representing you. I don't know what you do when it is open to the general public. Hope this has been helpful. Only my humble opinion.
I had to giggle as I am white with a very good suntan !...I live the 'old ways' and I am an adopted Cherokee, I am at a loss to explian to people who I am ...so now I can describe myself as "complexion challenged" thanks for sorting that out !
Many paws...
many paws is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #202
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 140,290.06
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by many paws View Post
I have just returned from my first pow wow, I flew all the way to Kansas to attend. Just what exactly is a 'wannabe' ?...I have read Bury my heart, the Cherokee nation and many, many other books on Native culture, I have cried many times and cringed every time the whites took land in 'treaties', the slaughter makes me ashamed whenever my sun tan goes away...The more I learn the more I believe in the 'old ways', I believe in the Great Spirit (Wakan Tanka) and Mother Earth, I have read all the old stories and wear a carved bone water spider and my jewelry made for me by Soaring Eagle, no cheap reproductions. I buy all my Native clothes from actual Natives and my moccasins are from the Cherokee tribe. I do not dance it is not my place, I respect all Native etiquette and am very respectfull, I just try to understand and follow what is going on. I am moving to Cherokee North Carolina so I am learning Tsalagi, my given name is Many paws as I do animal rescue, so what does this make me ?....I admire and respect your culture, I live and behave differently than I used to, you should see my Sitting Bull face if I am annoyed with people who do not understand !
Wa do, o gi na li,
Many paws.
Maybe you can explain the difference in reading books, buying NDN made things...and waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and know u'll never be white...or...as my friend, badmaninc, stated...complexion challenged.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #203
Pow Wow Visitor

many paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these parts
Unhappy I do not understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Dad View Post
Maybe you can explain the difference in reading books, buying NDN made things...and waking up every morning, looking in the mirror and know u'll never be white...or...as my friend, badmaninc, stated...complexion challenged.
o'siyo,
I do not understand...why would anybody chase a cat ? they are The Great Spirits creatures to be nurtured not chased .....
I also dont understand the mirror comment, why the heck would anybody be sad at not being white ( c/challenged) personally I am ashamed of it after all that we did to you in YOUR country, what does that have to do with reading and being loyal to your fellow Natives (in spirit).
Please explain further, I am white, born in England and like Sir Winston Churchill am affliated with the Cherokee and VERY proud of it !
Many paws...
Old 09-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #204
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 10,089.55
gotta love white peoples obsession with imitation
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010, 06:55 PM   #205
Pow Wow Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
gotta love white peoples obsession with imitation
How rude....you are not what I recognise in Indian culture, I think you should rethink your attitude, you are more white than you think by your nastyness.
I was being genuine, I can not believe this of a Native American.....
LADY Martina-Claire of the English royal family....
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 PM   #206
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
o'siyo,
I do not understand...why would anybody chase a cat ? they are The Great Spirits creatures to be nurtured not chased .....
I also dont understand the mirror comment, why the heck would anybody be sad at not being white ( c/challenged) personally I am ashamed of it after all that we did to you in YOUR country, what does that have to do with reading and being loyal to your fellow Natives (in spirit).
Please explain further, I am white, born in England and like Sir Winston Churchill am affliated with the Cherokee and VERY proud of it !
Many paws...
I have 7 cats around me all the time. I treat them better than I do my children or my women!

I have 4 cats within arms length right now.

I wouldn't expect you to understand the mirror comment. Your mentality is, and always will be, white. Go back and study your comments. You read, not live, the indigenous ways. You buy, not create or are handed down, that which is made by Native hands. You were born white, not with a complexion that is challenged every day in the white world.

You live a dream, not a life, of NDN.

BTW We have 7 cats and 6 dogs in our home. All are rescue animals. All have been abandoned or abused. Yes, they are trash can babies...just like me.

Sweetie, if you don't know why the cat is chased...well...u just don't know!!!

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-12-2010, 07:04 PM   #207
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
your right...i'm soooo wanting to have a crumpet rather than some bloody frybread right about now...

btw my great great grandmother was a liverpool princess, maggie may, they have taken her away and she'll never walk down lime street anymore...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:07 PM   #208
Ugh. As. If.

darn it jd i was supposed to post next but you beat me to it lol
Old 09-12-2010, 07:15 PM   #209
Ugh. As. If.

Quote:
so what, you don't wannabe cherokee anymore?

and i am not exhibiting any nastyness, on the contrary i am fully dressed and the last thing i'm thinking about is gettin' chased like a cat
Old 09-12-2010, 10:26 PM   #210
HUUUUUUUUUH!

Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Iowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond reputeIowa_Boy has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 4,359.51
someone say "fry bread"?
Iowa_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 PM   #211
Ugh. As. If.

you want some?

*hands iowaboy a frybread*

well back to the arcade lol
Old 09-13-2010, 05:32 AM   #212
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 80,644.87
For the humor challenged: Satire Alert!

Quote:
Yes, they are trash can babies...just like me.
My mixed-blood Siamese, shelter kitty takes offense at that comment. How can you call any of Budda's children trash can babies? Maybe you were born in a trash can but she wasn't.

So, with her white socks and the stripes on her tail she may be points challenged, but in her heart she is all Siamese. She has watched all Travel Channel documentaries on Thailand and knows she is a legitimate daughter of the Royal House of Siam.

I'll quit channeling the cat now, since she's gotten bored with this endless discussion of Siamese blood-quanta and has gone off to play a very noisy game of shampoo cap soccer in the guest bath's tub.

No offense intended to anyone, I just couldn't resist.

Last edited by OLChemist; 09-13-2010 at 05:36 AM..
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 06:02 AM   #213
Ugh. As. If.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 AM   #214
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
For the humor challenged: Satire Alert!

My mixed-blood Siamese, shelter kitty takes offense at that comment. How can you call any of Budda's children trash can babies? Maybe you were born in a trash can but she wasn't.

So, with her white socks and the stripes on her tail she may be points challenged, but in her heart she is all Siamese. She has watched all Travel Channel documentaries on Thailand and knows she is a legitimate daughter of the Royal House of Siam.

I'll quit channeling the cat now, since she's gotten bored with this endless discussion of Siamese blood-quanta and has gone off to play a very noisy game of shampoo cap soccer in the guest bath's tub.

No offense intended to anyone, I just couldn't resist.

OLC...your posts always make me smile!!!

My boys and girls are full-blood trash can babies!

Six of one litter (There are five now. One has the best job in the spirit world) started their life in a brown paper bag and were headed to the trash can. Three of another litter (found homes for two, kept one. He has a strong NDN name...Willy Bighead) were found in a cardboard box next to an apartment complex trash can. And then there's Fat Kitty (her name is Fat Kitty cuz she's...well...fat!). Fat Kitty was seen being thrown INTO the trash can as a baby. I can relate to these little ones be cause my life was trash can rough when I was a child.

So every morning they wake up, they look in the mirror...and head straight to the food bowl!

I have Ladies and Sirs of Trash Can royalty!!!

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-13-2010, 08:50 AM   #215
Official WTF Member

bobo has a reputation beyond repute
bobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 253.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvid View Post

I have white skin and blue eyes but I'm Ojibwe...I'd love to dance, but I'm actually pretty nervous about even trying- afraid I'll get labeled a wannabe off the bat just because I look "white."
just a thought from me here... If you are ndn, and involved and a part of the ndn community where you live, why would you be nervous? Why would anyone have the automatic impression that youre white? Wouldnt they all know you and know who you are? I guess my point is, if you arent a part of your ndn community then you probably arent ndn. And why wouldnt they have the impression when some unknown white looking guy was suddenly there dancing? Ha. bobo
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #216
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
I kinda like those really light skinned, freckle faced, sandy blond, rezzed out women!!!

U know they ain't white when they open their mouth!!!

N when they put on their dance outfit and braid their hair...Dayummmmm!!!

Mr. Rossie Freeman
Old 09-13-2010, 10:42 AM   #217
On The Rocks

Items ElephantTreasure ChestPresentPresent
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
AmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond reputeAmigoKumeyaay has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 99,523.66
Quote:
I kinda like those really light skinned, freckle faced, sandy blond, rezzed out women!!!

U know they ain't white when they open their mouth!!!

N when they put on their dance outfit and braid their hair...Dayummmmm!!!
also...when singing at drum...

AmigoKumeyaay is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 02:00 PM   #218
Pow Wow Visitor

Proud2BeChippewa is an unknown quantity at this point
First off i like how this topic went from talking about pow wow's to i think talking about Feline Cats if i'm not mistaken. I jumped from the first page to the last to make my post.
Anyway, I feel that as long as Caucasian people(White) want to attend Pow Wow's due to the personal interest in what a Pow Wow's all about then Great, I'm all for it. But if someone were to come in and just intentionally start blairing on about how were at fault for how america turned out and blah blah blah then there's a problem.
I have invited close friends in the past to the Denver March Pow Wow just out of kindness and everything. To have 2 of the invitees start going on about the Native American's letting us come,and they won't scalp us will they crap. Which really hurt me in ways i never thought it would. As a result after i calmed down and stopped crying that is i went back to them and told them exactly how i felt with what they were saying. They answered"we were kidding" I said I don't care if you're kidding, that type of stuff hurts me due to the fact that i take a lot of pride being who i am and if you're going to talk like that and make jokes that you think are funny then you're NOT invited to go with me.
So in a way i'm 50/50 on this topic. It just depends on the person and how they were raised and such i guess.
Proud2BeChippewa is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #219
Official WTF Member

bobo has a reputation beyond repute
bobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond reputebobo has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 253.00
im 50/50 on indians who cant take a scalping joke. :-D
bobo is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM   #220
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Oh, my. Too many places to start...so I'll just pick one:

Quote:

I couldn't find you in either Debrett's or Burke's. Should I check in the Gotha, as well?

I can't place your name with the Kents, Gloucesters or Ogilvys...hmmmm.

Are you trying to impress us with your "style" of LADY? (btw, no need to shout.) Then what would your title be?

In any case, I don't see how your supposed links to the BRF are relevant to the discussion. It seems as if you only brought it up in order to show your "superiority" after being upbraided for your arrogance.

Rather than Many Paws (and here I thought this was a reference to your age and gender!), I suggest you change your screenname to:

TOFF
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links