Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree27Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues White People at Pow Wows White People at Pow Wows

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 02:45 PM   #241
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
many paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLChemist View Post
Well, you know what Dr. Vine Deloria called this in his venerable classic Custer Died for Your Sins: White man's royalty syndrome.

Class had such profound consequences in most European societies, that I am actually surprised that Americans have thrown it off to the degree that they have. Or maybe we're just seeing a bit of that old Native intellectual property borrowing bleeding through.
I am sorry you are so full of envy of the other side of my heritage, well you cant be what you are not born, now can you....by the way Custer was an arrogent, stupid fool, its a pity so many people had to die for his ego.
Many paws
many paws is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #242
Pow Wow Visitor

many paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these partsmany paws is infamous around these parts
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanjica_the_one View Post
A lady should have a perfect command of the English language. What happened to you?
The title came with my birth, I dont profess to be perfect BUT boarding school, finishing school, and being a member of mensa is far above your ignorance and stupidity.
Thanks for the eye opener on the fact that you can be just as acid as you are I had the Native culture figgered out all wrong.....
what sort of insult is NDN please ?
Many paws
many paws is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 03:02 PM   #243
Pow Wow Visitor

Corvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond repute
Corvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond reputeCorvid has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 614.40
Quote:
Trot yourself down to the Council of Three Rivers American Indian Center. Pitt had a fairly active Native student association back in the day. So did CMU. I suspect they still sponsor events.

There are more Indians than you think in Pittsburgh. It just takes a little looking.
I actually just found out about that this week, funny! I just gotta figure out how to get there... the joys of relying on the bus. There has to be a line that goes somewhere near it though.

Quote:
Well, you know what Dr. Vine Deloria called this in his venerable classic Custer Died for Your Sins: White man's royalty syndrome.
The only way a lot of white people like to honor their ancestors is by making stuff up about them But yup, I do this too... not make stuff up, but I do brag like nobody's business if the subject comes up somehow. But with what England did to Scotland, I think I'm allowed to brag that my Scots ancestors helped keep them out just a little longer LOL
Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM   #244
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,294.98
Quote:
Originally Posted by many paws View Post
I am sorry you are so full of envy of the other side of my heritage, well you cant be what you are not born, now can you....by the way Custer was an arrogent, stupid fool, its a pity so many people had to die for his ego.
Excuse me. I don't think you've read this particular book or you would have caught the reference. This has nothing to do with envy.

Also, I have been civil to you. Please return the favor.

As for Custer... I know, my ancestors helped send him to his ancestors :)
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 03:13 PM   #245
Pow Wow Visitor

Items PresentDolphinDevil
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
wanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond reputewanjica_the_one has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 36,829.89
Hey Lady, being a member of MENSA doesn't give you the right to make mistakes.
wanjica_the_one is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #246
Ready to dance

Items Treasure ChestElephantGuitarPresent
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
wyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond reputewyo_rose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 63,056.53
Quote:
The title came with my birth, I dont profess to be perfect BUT boarding school, finishing school, and being a member of mensa is far above your ignorance and stupidity.
Thanks for the eye opener on the fact that you can be just as acid as you are I had the Native culture figgered out all wrong.....
Many paws
MENSA?? Yeah, right!! That's a whopper!! There is NO WAY, with your spelling, punctuation, and grammar.

(and I fully expect the following response, "YES WAY!") jks
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #247
Pow Wow Committee

Items ElephantPresent
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
OLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond reputeOLChemist has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 70,294.98
Just to clarify, what Dr Deloria was referring to was the lingering vestiges of European class systems in Euro-American family histories. People were never the descendent of village horse thief, they came from Charlemagne's second cousin twice removed. Even when they claimed Native linage, they found princesses, chiefs, and medicine men.
OLChemist is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 05:34 PM   #248
Back where I belong

Items Present
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
NorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond reputeNorthofAda has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,899.39
Quote:
Just to clarify, what Dr Deloria was referring to was the lingering vestiges of European class systems in Euro-American family histories. People were never the descendent of village horse thief, they came from Charlemagne's second cousin twice removed. Even when they claimed Native linage, they found princesses, chiefs, and medicine men.
My mom had to do a report on an ancestor for a high school writing class way back and found out that one of her great-uncles actually was a horse thief, LOL!
NorthofAda is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #249
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 8,766.96
Savings: 1.00
ok look meno paws...jus chill aight? why get all bent outta shape?

i think another session of finishing school is needed

i'm working on my english accent btw...

care for some tea? remember me to buckingham palace. my great great grandmother was a princess too
Grits & Beans is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-14-2010, 06:03 PM   #250
Ugh. As. If.

Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
Grits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond reputeGrits & Beans has a reputation beyond repute
many paws, what you see here is just ndn humor don't let it get under your skin...

i can vouch for joe's dad, olchemist, rdnkj and wanjica....they are very very good people, they all have given me positive input on topics, i'm sure they will do the same for you as long as you approach them in the proper way. i don't care about you calling me any name you want, i don't like seeing you do that to these guys when they have not said anything inappropriate to you...

you have a nice day
Old 09-15-2010, 01:13 AM   #251
Lion of Judah

Items Elephant$DevilSword
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 35,780.15
Quote:
I did not name me, Soaring Eagle did...try looking in the Grosvenor family for my white family.I only mentioned my other side as obviously my Native side was being ridiculed. I am not arrogent, I just thaught her comments scathing and all this unkindness far beneath any Native blood she may have, my following the old ways is more of what the new generation needs, less nasty and more tolerant. The Elders I have met would never treat a fellow human this way, think on it please.
Many paws.
Grosvenor...well, that certainly is posh.

I'll just say this then let the subject drop.

I just don't think it adds up. Your names, what (granted, little) you've said about your background, the titles of your parents, your use of (courtesy?) title - none of it goes together. You seem like a nice enough woman, I just find the timing and manner in which you announced your "ladyship" suspect. But, to go back to your quote I originally responded to, even if you were the Duke of Westminster, himself you still wouldn't be "...of the English royal family." Sorry.

No one has been particularly mean to you. Sometimes the role of a friend is to keep you grounded and to let you know when you (rightly or wrongly) are coming across as, well,

Think about that please.
RDNKJ is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #252
Lion of Judah

RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
RDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond reputeRDNKJ has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
My 18 are all rescued by the ASPCA, one has one back leg missing where a person threw him against a wall in temper so hard it shattered his leg and had to be removed....why do so many people have anger issues ? well, he lives in luxury with me...keep up the good work we need more like you.
Wa do from your cats !
Many paws
Good for you, Many Paws! I've always had a soft spot in my heart for animals. I don't know how some people can be so mean to animals. The rescue I had before my current two had been badly abused by her previous owner. It took several years before she could stand to be around anyhone but me, she was just so terrified of people. I got my current two from a guy I used to work with. They were barely 4 weeks old, but if I hadn't taken them they would've been dumped.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 AM   #253
Lion of Judah

Quote:
You are so nasty, I pitty you.
Well, that was unexpected! I think we have a little misunderstanding - I was talking about food.

Where I come from we're meat purists - we eat our steaks rare!

Crumpets - as in "tea and crumpets."

Wojapi - if you look in the recipe section here, there might be some wojapi recipes there (I don't know?)

Blood sausage - I think you Brits call it "black pudding?" We call it "blood sausage." For something that sounds so disgusting, it is so-o-o good. Growing up we used to eat it with a little bit of syrup. Or, when we kept bees, fresh honey. Mmmmmmm

Now I'm making myself hungry!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:47 AM   #254
Lion of Judah

Quote:
RDNKJ we're going to have to talk when I'm not at work:)
Anytime!
Old 09-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #255
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Many paws
NDN = Indian
Old 09-15-2010, 01:51 AM   #256
The voices tell me...

Items CatCatCatCat
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Joe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond reputeJoe's Dad has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 127,514.31
Quote:
I would not go to anybodys church for a religious occasion and not have studied the etiquette, you go to a pow wow to listen, learn and be respectful to all, do not act like an idiot and say things that offend.
many paws.
Dang, Lady Chatterly, why do you call me an idiot? Is it because I said you will always be white and NEVER be Indigenous to this land? You can call me an idiot, but you can't call me a liar!

Long Branch...hmmm? I've heard of Long Branch. Is that the Long Branch on Highway 72 surrounded by Bladenboro to the east, Lumberton to the north, Fairmont to the west and Orrum to the south?

I should got to a powwow so I can start catching up to your ONE!

Dude...you elevator doesn't go to the top floor.

Why must I feel like that..why must I chase the cat?

"When I was young man I did some dumb things and the elders would talk to me. Sometimes I listened. Time went by and as I looked around...I was the elder".

Mr. Rossie Freeman

Last edited by Joe's Dad; 09-15-2010 at 02:03 AM..
Joe's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-15-2010, 01:59 AM   #257
Ugh. As. If.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
NDN = Indian

i thought it meant natives doin naughty
Old 09-15-2010, 02:00 AM   #258
Lion of Judah

Quote:
I definitely will move it up on my reading list. That phenomenon has puzzled me for some time.

For such a republican (not meaning GOP) country, we are absolutely wild about royalty. In fact, Obama is the first president that I can remember that shortly after the election there weren't newspaper articles reporting how the new president-elect was related to the Windsors.

You gotta go back pretty far before you find anyone of note in my family. I have the Younger Brothers on my Mom's side, though. Plenty of thievin' going on there!

Old 09-15-2010, 02:10 AM   #259
Lion of Judah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits & Beans View Post
i thought it meant natives doin naughty
Well...maybe at Two Leggins!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:13 AM   #260
Ugh. As. If.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNKJ View Post
Well...maybe at Two Leggins!
i still wanna know whats this two leggins thing is...or do i?
Sponsored Links