Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Winona LaDuke Winona LaDuke

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 07:04 AM   #1
Powwow King

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
Credits: 221.00
Savings: 0.00
Winona LaDuke

What does everyone think about her and what she does?

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
redthunder is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
Banned

quicksilverwade is just really nice
Credits: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder
What does everyone think about her and what she does?
I think she's a priviliged Harvard graduate who endorsed John Kerry for president.
quicksilverwade is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2005, 12:37 PM   #3
Powwow King

redthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scaleredthunder is off the scale
is that it?

"You need to find yourself a girl, mate... Or, perhaps the reason you practice three hours a day is that you already found one and are otherwise incapable of wooing said strumpet. You're not a eunuch, are you? [looks down]"
-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 10-24-2005, 12:42 PM   #4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by redthunder
is that it?
No, there's her quote:

"We don't want a bigger piece of the pie, we want a different pie."
Old 10-24-2005, 01:02 PM   #5
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
don't know everything about her, but she is a STRONG ndn/jewish woman advocating for natives and the environment & that ranks her high in my book -

support anyone other than megalomaniac bush and you're good in my book.......

but, the vote splitting is a real problem in tight elections that put morons like bush in office -
Old 10-24-2005, 01:59 PM   #6
*~the REAL me~*

Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
Joe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond reputeJoe G has a reputation beyond repute
yeah and Ralph Nader would have been better????? she was on his ticket as VP during the first Bush election....morons put Bush in office, and morons almost elected Al Gore too....and did elect Bush twice...
There are NO (zero) good candidates..from which to choose...and it will probably get a lot worse soon....It's also interesting that nobody ever goes off on congress...but guess who passes ALL laws...and handles ALL money...and is absolutely totally for sale to the highest bidders, such as AMA, business, trial lawyers, CEOs and any and all with lots of $$ to get them elected/re-elected.....and congressmen can run any number of times, unlike presidents...but then again, how many people vote at all? IT's ALWAYS a low percentage....every time...encouraging? eh what??
Joe G is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
Junior Dancer

geronimo is a jewel in the rough
lesser of two evils i guess you could say - sure, gov't is/can be corrupt on all levels but i was addressing the presidency.....

and, i assure you the president can throw his weight around on capitol hill if it's something he really wants - back door deals left and right...... - ol bushie has a lot of friends and he's known to pay back favors in generous terms (i.e. appointing people to positions they're not qualified for - miers, michael brown:):))

yeah, it's a sad state of affairs, the shape of our country - this administration's turned us into a bunch of puppets......
Old 10-24-2005, 05:35 PM   #8
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
The following was taken from the website for the Intitute for Democratic Education and Culture under the Speakers and Artists link.

Winona LaDuke
Environmental Justice From a Native Perspective

Winona LaDuke is an Anishinaabeg (Ojibwe) enrolled member of the Mississippi Band of Anishinaabeg and is the mother of three children. She is the Program Director of Honor the Earth and the Founding Director of White Earth Land Recovery Project.

Leading Honor the Earth, LaDuke provides vision and leadership for the organization’s Regranting Program and its Strategic Initiatives. In addition, she has worked for two decades on the land issues of the White Earth Reservation, including litigation over land rights in the 1980’s.

In 1989, LaDuke received the Reebok Human Rights Award, with which, in part, she began the White Earth Land Recovery Project. In 1994, she was nominated by Time magazine as one of America’s fifty most promising leaders under forty years of age, and was also awarded the Thomas Merton Award in 1996, the Ann Bancroft Award, the 1997 Ms. Woman of the Year Award (with the Indigo Girls, Amy Ray and Emily Saliers), the Global Green Award, and numerous other honors.

LaDuke and the White Earth Land Recovery Project recently received the prestigious international Slow Food Award for their work with protecting wild rice and local biodiversity. In both 1996 and 2000, LaDuke ran for Vice-President on the Green Party ticket with Ralph Nader.

A graduate of Harvard and Antioch Universities, she has written extensively on Native American and environmental issues. Her books include Last Standing Woman (fiction), All Our Relations (non-fiction), In the Sugarbush (children’s non-fiction), and The Winona LaDuke Reader. Her forthcoming book, Recovering the Sacred, will be released by South End Press in 2005.

Topics:

Literature
Alliance-Building
Military, Militarism
Native Americans
Corporations
Racism
Democracy
Spirituality
Economic Visions
Electoral Politics
Environment
Food/Hunger
War and Peace
History of the Americas
Women & Feminism

Engagements:

State Bar Association Conference, Yosemite, CA Oct. 22, 2005
University of Minnesota, Morris, MN Nov. 7, 2005
University of Toledo, OH Nov. 9, 2005
Cornell University, Ithaca, NY Nov. 18, 2005
University of Maine, Orono, ME Dec. 6, 2005
Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA Dec. 8, 2005
Midwest Fish & Wildlife Conference, Grand Rapids, MI Dec. 12, 2005
University of Dayton, OH Mar. 6, 2006
University of Wisconsin, Whitewater, WI Mar. 7, 2006
University of Akron, OH Mar. 9, 2006

For more information, you can go to:
http://www.speakoutnow.org/People/WinonaLaDuke.html

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-24-2005, 10:42 PM   #9
Powwow King

I know her well..

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Last edited by redthunder; 11-07-2005 at 08:12 PM..
Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #10
PowWows.com Addicts

Roobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond reputeRoobz has a reputation beyond repute
I've met her before and see her jamming at powwows once in a while. I think she's one strong woman and smart too.
Roobz is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #11
Pow Wow Visitor

pinkflower is an unknown quantity at this point
I've had her in one of my classses at BSU and she's a very nice and sincere person. Everytime I see her she's very friendly and always asks how my children are doing plus she has a good bannock recipe that hasn't failed yet. She really wants to help our people and bring attention to environmental issues to ensure we have Earth for our future generations.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-25-2005, 09:58 PM   #12
Powwow King

It always cracks me up when she gives out her recipe! She never measures, lol...but then again, which indian measures these days? haha...

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 11-01-2005, 05:03 PM   #13
Junior Dancer

~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute~nativeteachin~ has a reputation beyond repute
I know Winona, she is a good lady, with a strong spirit and mind.....she does many good things and we need more people who are active like she is. She does however, get pulled in way too many directions, making her the busiest person I know!
Old 11-03-2005, 12:52 PM   #14
Teen Dancer

musicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond reputemusicedu77 has a reputation beyond repute
she spoke at my university i think it was on oct. 23rd or 25th...i dunno why at university of toledo...she probably wouldve gotten a better crowd at other universities that have a bigger native population...in toledo theres barely any
musicedu77 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-03-2005, 09:41 PM   #15
Powwow King

Universities and Institutes pay her to come.

-Captain Jack Sparrow
Old 11-06-2005, 09:49 PM   #16
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
ive never heard a bad word about her even tho her father was Sun Bear...i think she tries very hard to look forward and do positive things
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokoki_wolf
ive never heard a bad word about her even tho her father was Sun Bear...i think she tries very hard to look forward and do positive things
Then I guess that you can explain this:

By the mid-1980s, Vincent LaDuke had left show business and reinvented himself as a spiritual guru named Sun Bear.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:34 PM   #18
Experienced

Historian has a reputation beyond repute
Historian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond reputeHistorian has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.14
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilverwade
Then I guess that you can explain this:

"By the mid-1980s, Vincent LaDuke had left show business and reinvented himself as a spiritual guru named Sun Bear."
This quote came from Minneapolis/St. Paul City Pages website Volume 21 - Issue 1036 - Cover Story - October 11, 2000, in an article titled "No one's giving much thought to Ralph Nader's running mate. But it has never been a good idea to underestimate Winona LaDuke...The Party Crasher."

For the full story, you can go to:
http://citypages.com/databank/21/1036/article9043.asp

"Be good, be kind, help each other."
"Respect the ground, respect the drum, respect each other."

--Abe Conklin, Ponca/Osage (1926-1995)
Historian is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-07-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
Beadworker

sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,106.54
lol i am by NO means defending sunbear...i was merely saying that despite her father being sun bear,ive never heard anything "bad" about Winona...i was a reporter for an Indian newspaper for many years and did alot of work investigating frauds and plastic medicine people in the Indian world...Sun Bear was the grandfather of the plastics and a total scam...i think Winona has had to overcome alot of the stigma generated because of Sun Bear
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 11-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #20
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
Savings: 1.00
Winona LaDuke and wild rice

Boozhoo niji,

I met her once, I bought a pound of wild rice from her without even realizing who she was. I was later chatting with her cousin on IM and he told me that she remembers seeing me in White Earth, but didnt know who I was, just that "fancy dancer from florida"

I wish I could get to know her personally. She does a lot of greath things with maintaining the ways that wild rice is grown and harvested, and is also a strong advocate for our people.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links