Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Working dogs In the circle Working dogs In the circle

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2005, 01:58 PM   #1
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Carla J. is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Question Working dogs In the circle

undefined

What are your opinions on allowing working dogs into the cirlcle?
Carla J. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2005, 02:23 PM   #2
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla J.
undefined

What are your opinions on allowing working dogs into the cirlcle?

__

Carla,

I would rather have my dawg a little on the lazy side and not such a hard worker. One person's working dog is another man's supper. *L j/k (tribal specific humor)

All kiddin' aside...

I don't think I have ever seen a working dog (seeing eye dog) in the circle before.

I have seen other rez dogs who got cornered then chased out though.

Dogs are not normally allowed in the circle.

The people who have come into the dance circle with visual handicaps have been led by another person.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:08 PM   #3
PowWows.com Addicts

badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
badmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond reputebadmaninc has a reputation beyond repute
Savings: 1.00
Talking

I was thinking how women call men dogs and if you are working on a snag, does that make you a working dog. Or should this be in the Hmmmmmm? thread.
badmaninc is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Teen Dancer

hoov4450 is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 80.00
no, dogs are not allowed in the circle. That is what family and friends are for.
hoov4450 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2005, 09:52 PM   #5
Eastern Blanket Dancer

Items Treasure Chest
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
bahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond reputebahnisiain has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 2,722.75
i went to a pow wow where a service dog was allowed into the circle. it was only once that i saw the dog enter with its person.

bahnisiain is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #6
Teen Dancer

i'm sure it has and will happen some where. i'm just saying that a "friend" should help lead that person. not a dog.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:42 PM   #7
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
These dogs are highly trained but I don't know if they could withstand this very different environment. The sounds of the bells, the smell of hides, furs & feathers, the pounding of the drum. They may become confused. Leaving the guide dog away from the arena would probably be best. A friend or relative would probably be best to help out.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 AM   #8
Pow Wow Visitor

Carla J. is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy

The incident that brought up this question happened this past weekend. A woman, in a motorized wheelchair was asked to leave her dog outside, which she was about to do, untill the head veteran announced that service dogs would be allowed into the circle. Her dog was obvioulsy a service dog!!! Well after that announcement, another woman already in the cirlcle with the veterans, standing, without her motorized wheelchair,...promptly stomped out of the circle to go and get her wolf. She says that her dog prevents her from falling in the event of a seizure, although she has no proof that her dog is a service dog. We have been to two other pow wows in the past where this "wolf woman" has tried to bring her dog into the circle, she was told everytime that if she needed help that someone would be glad to enter the circle with her. When my husband, who was the head man singer, approached one of the committee members to ask why they would allow such a thing to happen, he was asked, whose tradition was it, since when was it tradition, and why!? He also stated that he thought dogs had more of a right to be in the circle than some of the two leggeds out there, and that no one asked them to leave the circle. How do you respond to this mess???? It saddens me that it even has to be addressed!!
Thanks!
Carla
Carla J. is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2005, 12:26 PM   #9
N8tiffUmatillaMAMA

WocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
WocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond reputeWocusWoman has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,094.49
This shouldn't have been allowed. Any person who has some sorta of handicap and needs help; should be helped into the circle by people, whether it family or friends. The committee member shouldn't have made this statement either, it was out of line, he has no right to pass judgement on who has the right to be in the circle. Sounds like a bunch of "powwow drama," to me. Along the same lines, I would not want to see drunks in the circle. Just my opinion.
WocusWoman is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-08-2005, 06:53 PM   #10
Teen Dancer

we have had some intoxicated people dancing and the a.d. just goes to them and tells them they have to leave the circle. no drama cause the person knows they shouldn't be out there. i don't want to get to personal, but i knew a elder who was blind. he didn't have a seeing eye dog and when he need to enter the circle "family" helped him out. a dog has no place in the circle. sorry to be so blunt. talk to your local leaders. they will be more than happy to have one of the young ones help out. and if they decide to let the dog in, that is "theirs" to make.
Old 03-09-2005, 04:28 PM   #11
Cloud Dancer

AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
All I can say is that I agree that family members and friends should be helping those that need it... It is the way of our people to help. Just as we treat our elders... by walking with them, serving them food... just showing that repsect.. and thats what it comes down to.. respect for you fellow Native borthers and Sisters especially in thier time of need.
Don't get me wrong I don't disagree with working dogs.. they have helped many people and have saved lives... but in the circle it is about Helping one another as human beings and sometimes relying on the strength of others. Just My opinion anyway
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-09-2005, 08:40 PM   #12
Honey Connoissuer

Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 546.23
When in Rome... if the powwow committee agree to service dogs and you disagree, then I feel it is up to you wether or not to dance with that dog in the circle... however I agree with Hoov, that's what friends and family are for, but if you have neither then what? Maybe if you can recognize someone in this dilemna you might offer to assist them. But as for the woman who said hers was a siezure dog, service dogs are registered and must pass a certain series of tests and they have papers/tags/ some kind of identification so if hers did'nt then I'd say she's stating a bunch of crap.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:57 PM   #13
Dancin n Vendin

Tsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond reputeTsiniti has a reputation beyond repute
We had a situation at a Pow Wow last year involving a Service Dog. The man left his service dog outside the arena at his booth. His dog Always wears a jacket that says Service Dog, and wears a special harness so that people recognize him as a service dog. But they had taken off his "uniform" to give him a break, and the man went into the Arena, he had nearly finished the Dance when all of a sudden the dog broke loose and ran to him in the arena, every one got upset and mad, (except those who knew the man and dog team) until later after the man got over the seizure the dog senced he was about to have.

When the man went to the MC, and asked to speak he apoligized to everyone about the dog in the arena, and explained why he ran in. the Dog and the Man were both given a standing ovation, and several paid the Drum for an honor dance for the dog!

Nah I ain't NO WANNABE! I don't gotta wannabe when people wannabe like me!
Tsiniti is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #14
crazywolf

crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 338.47
I was there

Boozhoo niji,

Hey Carla, I made it a point not to get in the middle of this at the pow wow, and yet I had a lot of people asking my opinion about this. I told everyone the exact same thing, that it was not my pow wow and I was not in a place to make this decision. The dog in the circle didnt bother me, didnt keep me from dancing, and was one of Mother Earths creatures. But somehow I was pushed into the debate anyway.

I made a comment in front of one elder, and he blew up on me, saying that the dog or wolf or whatever is a service dog, that prevents the woman from falling out of her chair if she has a seizure. Now granted.. I have seen people have seizures, and they have unhuman strength in one of these events.

But... later I spoke to another elder, one whom I respect greatly and is much more well informed. She knew someone that worked with service dogs. They are taken from their owner, usually a breeder, as a puppy, and checked to see if they have the temperment to become a service dog, if they pass the test then they go through service dog training. When this is complete, the dog is implanted with a chip, its ear tattooed, anda paper issued withthe dog with the number tattooed in the ear and also on the chip. These dogs are worth well over $20,000, so lo jack is included. Service dogs are a couple of years old at the end of their traning.

Seriously, I had seen this woman, as well as the elder I spoke to, and we both saw her parading her new found puppy, she claimed is a wolf, around at the pow wows.

1. Wolves would never be service dogs, ever. They are wild animals, and just do not have the temperment to be a service dog.

2. She had the dog when it was a puppy, it never had been trained to be a service dog.

If the woman was blind I could see a service dog being allowed inthe ring, but... I have seen blind people, in the circle, dancing with the assistance of another two legged, with their four legged companion proudly wearing their service dog cape, waiting for their master on the OUTSIDE of the circle. Later I saw said person, dancing unaided in the circle.

I was told the circle is supposed to be blessed, although up north I have seen all kinds of things on the rez, I aint going into all of that, but the important thing to remember here is to respect other peoples beliefs, if they bless the circle then it should be respected as such.

Derek

PS, that wolf aint a wolf at all, its a husky/malamute (sp?) hybrid. Wolves are twice as big if you think about it.
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2005, 01:06 PM   #15
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
Dog, the other white meat!!

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2005, 06:11 PM   #16
WillaDaKilla

woggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to behold
I would say yes to allowing working dogs into the circle..theres more important stuff to worry about like potheads or drunks at powwows..dang I just found out that lotsa people sing , dance or whatever high or drunk..so bringing drugs and alcohol into the circle is WAAAAAAYY worse than dogs!
eyelashes: eyelashes:
eyelashes
woggs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2005, 07:04 PM   #17
Oldfart

Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Kiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond reputeKiwehnzii has a reputation beyond repute
Don't let it get you down , woggs. There is drugs and alcohol there, but not near as bad as some lead you to believe.
Kiwehnzii is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-15-2005, 09:45 PM   #18
Divine Scientific Genius

DeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond reputeDeusExMachina has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,162.00
Savings: 569.25
we need to get a buncha old gramma ladies, give em' all belts, and take them on the powwow circuit to administer some world class azz whoopins to whoever gets all rowdy or wasted, or just dresses bad.

The secret of my succes is 30% natural talent, 10% inspiration, and the remaining 60% is just the fact that I am nucking futs.
DeusExMachina is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 AM   #19
WillaDaKilla

woggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to beholdwoggs is a splendid one to behold
LOL grannies!!
eyelashes: eyelashes:
eyelashes
woggs is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 03-16-2005, 09:49 AM   #20
Teen Dancer

Tom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond reputeTom Iron Eagle has a reputation beyond repute
Service Dogs

I too have seen this situation happen twice, similar to the event discribed by Tsiniti.

Several years ago at a summer powwow a young man had a service dog. The committee said no to the service dog and the young man left the dog outside the arena. Sometime later that afternoon the young man had an attack in the circle (suffered from epilepsy). The dog was not there to warn about the on-coming attack which they can sense (which is truly amazing). The powwow was stopped for awhile, the young man was treated and all was back to normal. The committe changed its mind right then and allowed the service dog for the rest of the powwow.

At a completely different event a very similar (almost de-ja-vu) situation happend at a spring powwow. This time it involved an older woman with wheelchair and service dog. The committee said no to the service dog on the first day. Sometime on the second day of the powwow she had some kind of attack. Again the powwow was stopped but for a very long time as EM people had to come in. It appears the attack was pretty bad. Well, it was disovered a few months later that the powwow commitee of this event was hit with a major class action law suit for violating the Disability Act. Claim was that had her service dog been with her he would have warned of the coming attack and she could have taken her emergency eipi-type pen injection.

We all know of the traditions of animals in the circle and espeicially of dogs. But, we must remember that even though it is our culture and traditions, we often advertise and market the events as open to the general public and we often say that many Intertribal dances are open to all. With that said, we have to be very careful about how the handicap may few not being allowed to use service animal - could it be a violation of thier rights under the Disability Act. Somthing to think about.
Tom Iron Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links