Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree40Likes

Forum Home - Go Back > General > Native Life > Native Issues Your thoughts on - "Tribe suing beer companies for alcohol problems" Your thoughts on - "Tribe suing beer companies for alcohol problems"

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #261
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
reocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond reputereocurringdream has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,708.58
Savings: 0.00
@Zeke
Perhaps we honor the Old Ones together one day.

@muskrat_skull
Appreciate your thoughtfulness. I don't know if its too forward to say, but I feel like your the sister I never had. I can't help to find the similarity in thought we share.
When I despair, I remember that all through history the ways of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants, and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall. Think of it—always.
reocurringdream is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #262
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 13,536.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
So you're quantifying the morality of something based upon the population base of where it is legally available?

Somehow, that seems an inefficient mode of thought and the idea that anyone is being scammed here is the same sort of uber-victimization thinking that keeps many Rez Natives as virtual second class citizens in third world countries.

We're discussing a legal product produced by a vendor, purchased legally by a patron, then transported illegally by a trafficker and used irresponsibly by the consumer. (Note how the definitions change? That's due to the consumer.) Nothing bad has occurred here until the PURCHASER acts with slimy intent.

That's WAY different than generating an illegal pyramid scheme then pressuring little old ladies to invest their life savings with slimy and malicious intent to defraud them of their funds. That's evil from jump and the fault of the vendor.

It's NOT the same.

Again I see your point of view, but "Legal", doesn't necessarily = moral or even right.

I see it as the same in this sense:

taking advantage/scamming of an elders who's metal faculties aren't as they used to be, to profit looks exactly the same to me as planting 4 liquor stores in a map dot of population 14 1 mile from reservation lands to sell liquor to a population known to have a drinking problem, all to gain profit. Legal or not, my opinion is it is morally, ethically and spiritually WRONG!

Agree or not. My opinion.
rezrazed is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #263
Self-Righteous Injun

Items Treasure ChestPresentTreasure ChestPresent
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 17,941.95
Savings: 1.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezrazed View Post
I see it as the same in this sense:

taking advantage/scamming of an elders who's metal faculties aren't as they used to be...
You're saying we don't have "mental faculties?"

THAT'S what's "wrong."

Must the Great White Father protect us, forever?

Respectfully, that's weak sauce.

Last edited by Zeke; 04-19-2013 at 04:23 AM..
Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 04-22-2013, 05:25 PM   #264
Banned

Items Tree
rezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond reputerezrazed has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
You're saying we don't have "mental faculties?"

THAT'S what's "wrong."

Must the Great White Father protect us, forever?

Respectfully, that's weak sauce.
Zeke sometimes you look too deep into something. You're looking for something not there. Plain and simple, it's profiting off of someones addiction and the Government is ok with that cause they're getting paid. No hidden meaning in it. Just the way it is. You don't have to like it or agree with it, just the way I see it.

and if you've ever been addicted to something, when you NEED it, you DONT have your mental faculties. which is why most will do ANYTHING to obtain it.
Stands Alone likes this.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #265
Self-Righteous Injun

Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Zeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond reputeZeke has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Zeke sometimes you look too deep into something. You're looking for something not there.
Like accountability for our own actions?

Quote:
Plain and simple, it's profiting off of someones addiction and the Government is ok with that cause they're getting paid.
How is the government "getting paid" by continuing to support us? Somehow, I bet the taxes raised on any border town alcohol sale pales in comparison to the $$$ spent by the Feds subsidizing healthcare of alcoholic Natives.

Quote:
No hidden meaning in it. Just the way it is. You don't have to like it or agree with it, just the way I see it.
You see us as social children?

Quote:
and if you've ever been addicted to something, when you NEED it, you DONT have your mental faculties. which is why most will do ANYTHING to obtain it.
And whose fault is it many Natives are addicted to alcohol?

It's not liquor stores or the Feds.
wardancer and Stands Alone like this.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:12 PM   #266
Banned

Items Tree
Quote:
Like accountability for our own actions?
Holy ANAL Retention Batman!
Havent I been one of the few who have continued to agree with you on that subject. Again, too deep.

Dont tell me what I see you as, cause first you'd be wrong, 2nd, you probably wouldn't like it nontheless.

Again my opinion, you don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it.

IF your walls keep cramping take some midol.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:07 PM   #267
Self-Righteous Injun

Quote:
Holy ANAL Retention Batman!
Havent I been one of the few who have continued to agree with you on that subject. Again, too deep.
1. Not that I can tell.
2. I'm not a fan of intellectual superficiality.

Quote:
Dont tell me what I see you as, cause first you'd be wrong, 2nd, you probably wouldn't like it nontheless.
3. If I'm wrong, it's because you expressed yourself poorly.
4. You presume that I care.

Quote:
Again my opinion, you don't have to like it, you don't have to agree with it.
5. I'll just keep pointing out how it is inaccurate.

Quote:
IF your walls keep cramping take some midol.
6. Not your best attempt at an insult.
7. Credit (tiny) given for trying.

May I suggest an alternative? Try a winning argument. It's much easier to score web board points if you begin with validity.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #268
Senior Dancer

Items DollCatTreasure ChestDevil
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
muskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond reputemuskrat_skull has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 20,802.32
there's likely at least two sides to this, people that are not the alcoholics, but have to deal with them all the time, would like to see the stores closed, because since they cannot control the alcoholics, they can only try to control the environment contributing to it.

And the alcoholic, who would probably rather have it delivered to the door, along with the paper and whatever else they desire.

I'm not big on the trying to control the environment. I'd rather throw the unruly alcoholic in jail and force sobriety and then force rehab, at least once or twice.

People have two parts, the physical and spiritual. How wounded does a person have to become, in either areas, before society should step in? And if people are needy and whining and so self-absorbed they can't perceive reality, is that likely to change when they are off alcohol? Do they care that they are walking wounded? Many don't, even when sober.

If they have no shame and feel they are owed, that may just be the way they are. They don't love anyone, not their kids, no one. If they did, they would at least try to stop. It might take a few days in jail to sober them up enough to care enough to try to stop. But some people really just don't care.
Stands Alone likes this.
muskrat_skull is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links