Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance 1st Annual Meeker Powwow 1st Annual Meeker Powwow

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2008, 05:39 PM   #1
pawnee drew

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
afrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 838.39
Savings: 0.00
Red face 1st Annual Meeker Powwow

The town of Meeker, Colorado (the site of the Meeker Massacre of September 29, 1879) played host to the now seperated Ute Tribe. The Northern Ute Tribe from Ft. Duchesne, Utah who also played host of the event, the Ute Mountain Ute of Towaoc, Colorado who provided the drum of Ephraim Wall and the Southern Rockies and the Southern Ute Tribe of Ignacio, Colorado who each had a modest representation at the event. This area of the state was once the ancestral home of the Utes, now it is a mecca for oil and gas exploration. The two day event took place at the same site that host the local dog championships. I felt out of place at Meeker. I felt as though we were the animals in a Zoo. I spoke to two of the event coordinators and told them I felt that Meeker was exploiting the natives (again) to make them selves feel better for their ancestors medival past. Nothing can erase what happened in the past but this little gathering was a thoughtful first step. It had its moments too, there were $20,000 in prize money given away this weekend to the dancers who came to claim some of it. It was a good turnout by the town and surrounding area, who came out to gawk at the indians who came to invade their little town. An anonymous member of the 4 Corners Gourd Dance Society who lives in Delta, convinced the powers that be that they should squeeze in a Gourd Dance on their carefully crafted schedule (we taught them a little bit about indian time). I had just arrived and new nothing of this as they did not advertise on their flyer or on the website. I got there just as I heard the song start and the drummers hit the drum calling the dancers beginning the first session. I usually travel with my regalia where ever we go, just in case, and I brought it over and quickly got up there to be a part of the first ever Gourd Dance in this part of Colorado. I spoke to the event coordinators and offered my assistance to organize a more "formal" Gourd Dance for next year with a Head Gourd Dancer and Head Man Singer. I offered to make the 4 Corners the host Gourd Society as well. It was awkward, but hopefully in the future, with the creators blessing it will become a place to travel to and a powwow to remember. In case you are wondering, I am the new headman of the 4 Corners Gourd Dance Society.[email protected]
afrost is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 08-01-2008, 12:10 AM   #2
Rockin' the Rockies!

Items Elephant
tayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond reputetayoonee has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 640.13
Ya know I was really wanting to go out there to Meeker..but I just can't afford the fuel. Hopefully if the bugs get worked out with the committee and we're aren't feeling like we're in the zoo...I'll definately want to go ...to the 2nd Annual Meeker Powwow.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:52 AM   #3
pawnee drew

afrost is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 838.39
Travel costs (fuel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayoonee View Post
Ya know I was really wanting to go out there to Meeker..but I just can't afford the fuel. Hopefully if the bugs get worked out with the committee and we're aren't feeling like we're in the zoo...I'll definately want to go ...to the 2nd Annual Meeker Powwow.
When we left Durango to head to Meeker, the price of fuel was $4.29 a gallon for 87 octane, when passing through Vail on our way out of Meeker for another event, the cost of fuel was $4.89 for 85 octane and $5.11 for premium unleaded! Gas cost too much up that way. In Denver fuel cost $3.85 and that got us back home. I hope the prices go back down so we can all hit some of the more well known, established powwows and not have to pay an arm and a leg to get there.
afrost is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links