Register Groups Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Forum Home - Go Back > Pow Wow Arena > Men's Dance Styles > Gourd Dance Cherokee Gourd Dance Society Cherokee Gourd Dance Society

Reply LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 04:56 PM   #1
Kili!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Cherokee Gourd Dance Society

Really interesting article about the formation of the Cherokee Nation Gourd Society:

http://cherokee.org/Phoenix/2005/Pho...ge.asp?ID=1534
Old 05-19-2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Pow Wow Visitor

miss tradish is an unknown quantity at this point
Re. Cherokee gourd society

My uncle said the Kiowa Gourd Clan did not sanction the Cherokee gourd society. The Kiowa Gourd Clan does not sanction or authorize the formation of other gourd groups. The Otoe and Osage tribes are the only tribes authorized by the Kiowa Gourd Clan to start a group. The Otoes received the dance from the Kiowa elders in the thirties and the Osages received it from the Kiowa Gourd Clan Headsmen in the seventies.The Cherokees went to the tiapiah group south of Carnegie. They are more powwow oriented and let anyone dance. Though some Kiowa Gourd Clan members have organized gourd clubs, they do this on their own. That is why the Kiowa Gourd Clan is so strict about traditional protocals and non-Kiowa membership. Some non-Kiowas have been initiated and then start their own gourd clubs, saying they're authorized by the Kiowa Gourd Clan. He told me to clarify this mis conception.
miss tradish is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-19-2005, 05:23 PM   #3
Kili!

Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Thank you for the clarification. You may want to contact the Cherokee Phoenix as well with this information - just to further get the information out there.
Old 05-19-2005, 09:34 PM   #4
Pow Wow Visitor

roughface40 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 120.00
why do people keep going over this again and again, if you want to know the truth, ask a HEADSMAN OF THE KIOWA GOURD CLAN, Find out who the HEADSMAN are then ask them the truth and they will tell you/Do you mean THE GOURD CLAN in town or the gourd clan south of Carnegie, at "CHIEFTAN'S PARK" that is a different group.
The Kiowa Gourd Clan, Kiowa Tia Piah Society, and the Tia Piah Society of Oklahoma which one,,,,,

Last edited by roughface40; 05-19-2005 at 10:45 PM..
roughface40 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
Tiny Tot Dancer

LWB is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 440.05
know this story well

Charlie Soap & John Butler went to the Kiowas at Carnegie not
the ones at Chieftan & Jack Anquoe was the go-between or spoke for them , both Charlie & John were very good friends with Taft Hainta at the time, Mr Hainta was also a Headman & it was in his camp that Charlie & John stayed in for the 3 days that it took . I have heard this story from 2 of these 3 men & it has always been the same, nothing added ,nothing left out
only when the story leaves these 3 does it change & as i have posted here before ,since the passing of Mr Hainta & all the other Headmen of that time, Mr Hamilton & the others at Carnegie refuse to recognize the CNGC ....... WHICH IS THIER RIGHT

PS. papers stating all this were kept by Mr Hainta , but since his passing they have been lost

Last edited by LWB; 05-20-2005 at 04:30 AM..
LWB is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWB
Mr Hamilton & the others at Carnegie refuse to recognize the CNGC ....... WHICH IS THIER RIGHT

I was honored to have the chance earlier this year to ask two of the headsmen and a few elders of the Kiowa Gourd Clan if the Kiowa Gourd Clan has ever given other tribes or organizations the right to have their own gourd clans or societies.

Their consensus was,

"The Otoe tribe was the only tribe ever given permission to do this - by the Kiowa Gourd Clan."
Old 05-22-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
Pow Wow Visitor

roughface40 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 120.00
"The Otoe tribe was the only

"The Otoe tribe was the only tribe ever given permission to do this - by the Kiowa Gourd Clan." THANK YOU
roughface40 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 05-24-2005, 03:07 AM   #8
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
I read the article about the CN Gourd dancers. I noticed a familiar face and name in the article. Would any of you Kiowas like to talk about Smokey Goompi. I have danced with Smokey several times and at several different dances. Smokey has started some very odd things("traditions"). Smokey claims to be a Marine Veteran, I have heard this may not be the truth. Any of you Goompis or other Kiowas know that him able to set the story straight. Tell us about him Pro or Con.

I too have heard this story about the Cherokees, given permission to dance. Clifford Sloan was a member that I heard this from.
Old 05-25-2005, 12:01 PM   #9
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 11,589.70
Jake Chanate, Kiowa, was an ardent supporter of the Cherokee Gourd Clan. He married into the Cherokee tribe and made his home in Tahlequah.

Jake died Tuesday night (5-24-05).

Funeral services at Stilwell, Hart's Funeral Home at 2:00 p.m. Friday, May 27, 2005.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:12 AM   #10
cherosage

CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
CHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond reputeCHEROSAGE has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 1,553.63
Savings: 1.00
Whome: Thanks for the info. Jake was "OK", I'll pass the info to the rest of my family in OK. I was honored to have danced with him many times.

My thoughts are with the family, Ke dada Chute.